• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Transcedental meditation — a meditation technique that is taking the world by storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Transcedental meditation -- a meditation technique that is taking the world by storm - Read Health Related Blogs, Articles & News on Diseases & Conditions at Health.India.com

transcedental-meditation.jpg
Meditation, a simple yet deep rooted technique that helps you think better, control your emotions with finesse and even makes you a better person. First practiced in India, meditation is a method carried down through the ages. It was first mentioned in the Vedas and is well known in India as a doorway to nirvana. But now the Americans have woken up to its benefits.

According to study carried out by Fred Travis, director of the centre for brain, consciousness, and cognition at Maharishi University of Management in the US, physiological measures and first-person descriptions of transcendental experiences and higher states have only been investigated during practice of the Transcendental Meditation (TM) technique.

Thank you. It may be now accepted now, since its getting endorsements from America. ;)

Its advised to learn it from some one with experience. Can members share their personal experience here. Since there are so many practices and choices around, I am are not sure which one to choose and which one is right for me.

TM was Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's (the Beetles' Guru) brain child. He could not succeed in making capital out of it then (about 20 years or so ago). He even claimed that through TM people will be able to "levitate" and fly.

What the TM levitation is, can be seen here:[video=youtube;Kelb5IGbLXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kelb5IGbLXM[/video]

Swami Nithyananda is also teaching this very same levitation!

BTW, this TM is but a part of Patanjali's Yoga Darsana but Adi Sankaracharya has very clearly stated that neither saamkhya nor yoga will help one in gaining brahmajnana. Hence this modern, 10-step TM may be useful only to get a "good feeling" of having practised YOGA, nothing more.

Alternative therapies for psychiatric disorders has a big chapter on mind body yoga. Patanjali is the first chapter, widely quoted, coz the same had been popularised in the west extensively i think.

like any therapy needing FDA approval, i guess only this has been tested. initial excitement about patanjali is tempered when u read the second chapter on chinese TM technique.

Meditations and yoga are for body and mind. I do not know its effect on spiritual aspects of life. I do not have personal experience of TM. I am not a follower of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

It seemed that a scientific study has been done (Any part of world), and seemed as an interesting topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back