Tamil Brahmins
    Downloads
    Uploads

Attacks on Brahmins and Brahminism in the Press

0 Not allowed!
    Read about TJS George's recent article God, Karunanidhi--and pre-Brahmin glory in the New Indian Express dated 24th Feb and the fitting reply given by two letters to the editor here:

http://www.kanchiforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2254
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Dear srinivas !

By posting the same msg in most of the threads , you have made an attempt to spread the fire / trying to provoke some people.

I really don't know whether your story above is made up from your wildest imaginations or a true episode witnessed by you ?? If witnessed by you , why couldn't you be the first volunteer to get involved and sort out the issue !!! Strange isn't it !
    So many things happen right in front of our very eyes and we remain silent spectators ? Why are we so?
    That's the way we are brought up, my dear ! Most of our father's preach us GOOD THINGS assuming the WORLD to be full of GOOD RESPECTABLE PEOPLE who respect other's lives, but once in a while u get a chance to face some hooligans ! The way you respond at such times depends on the physical and mental armoury that u possess/ acquire from your experience.

I don't think you should be making a COMMUNITY issue , out of this ! It just Darwin's theory- Survival of the Fittest , my dear.
    Firstly , the circumstance of the gurukkal needs to be addressed ! If he identifies himself to be from a special prototype of GOD , meaning HIGHER UP by BIRTH , he shall be given such special treatment by people from other community .
    Kudumi may be intrigued by some but you do find punks around don't u with great kudumi's . May be its the way they carry themselves , that really matters...

Gentleman , don't get excited , RELAX , you can't change the WORLD upside down , let us try and phase it out !
    Last edited by vijisesh; 29-02-2008 at 07:14 PM.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Sri srivasiyengar

Just look at history that was made by Mahatma Gandhi when he was pulled down from the train at Pietermaritzburg in South Africa. He protested then and there and continued his protest. His protests culminated in the birth of non-violent method "Satyagraha" -the first ever of its kind was staged on September 11,1906 in south Africa.

How could he do that? It was possible because he had self-confidence. He was forthright. He was never in the wrong. He had conviction that he was never in the wrong. Even while he was in UK for studies and later in South Aftrica, he was a vegetarian, teetotaller, kept his brahmacharya/ chastity intact. He held on to the cultural values given by his own heritage. Satyam and Dharmam were his strength. He could stand up and fight.

I am sure if the Brahmin, whom you referred to, had these qualities he would have protested then and there. He would have created a furore. If even one of other brahmins who were witnessing this were possessing all of these qualities, he would have protested then and there. It seems it was not to be so, from your posts. The solution first starts from the self. only later it can transform to the people around, then to the place in the neighbourhood, then in the places far and near. Just crying is cowardice born out of need to cover up one's own faults.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Surprised

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Sri Appaiah!

I'm surprised by your this reply, Different people respond in different ways to any given situation. Everbody can't be Ghandhi, The brahmin (gurukkal) may be even a mature person than Gandhi, he would have taken it as Ishvara prasadham good or bad that happens to him and may not be overtly distrubed by it. How can one conclude he doesn't have dharma or sathya? I really didn't expect this kind of remark on a brahmin from you.

I agree that others can't do anything unless, the affected person did make some sort of protest about it.

Iyengar is asking us as a society, what we did to stop this kind of harassment. Unfortunately I don't think we did anything to address this menace. I may be wrong also , I seek our TAMBRAS - leader RSV Iyer to shed some light on this issue.

Dear Middleeast Viji,

Do you have hooligans there? Do they dare to harass a religious figure in daylight at your place? Kindly shed some light on this plight.

Regards

malgova.mango
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Sri malgova.mango

If the person concerned has taken it as Ishwara prasadam, then whatever you have said is correct. And everyone else shall also take it as Ishwara prasadam, which would surely include you and I as well. And I will certainly take it as Ishwara prasadam if the person concerned has taken it so.

Yes everyone cannot be Mahatma. But if there is someone who sees this and cries for ever on the same subject without even going to the police, there does arise whole lot of questions and only some of them I have raised in my post. A society is made up of individuals, in a situation of personal attack the concerned individual or the ey witness has to rais the issue then and there and follow it up to the logical conclusion. Only then the society can come into the picture.

I had stated "I am sure if the Brahmin, whom you referred to, had these qualities he would have protested then and there." You may read it as "I am sure if the Brahmin, whom you referred to, had ALL these qualities he would have protested then and there. "

That would give you the correct perspective with which I had posted.

You may also see my next lines where I had stated "If even one of other brahmins who were witnessing this were possessing all of these qualities,...."

What he lacked could be self confidence and/ or conviction as well. I am surprised as to why you didnot see the rest of the qualities and picked up only on sathyam and dharma.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Sri Malgova mango

You had stated:

"I really didn't expect this kind of remark on a brahmin from you."

Obviously you seem to have had a certain level of expectation from my posts. I am an ordinary mortal as fallible as any other. I donot intend to hurt anyone, whomsoever, as it is against the basic tenet of advaita. I do not enjoy the sufferings of the bramhin gurukkals in the manner stated by Sri srivasiyengar either. Like any ordinary mortal, I too am saddened by any attack on anyone, leave alone a person who is blessed to even touch and serve the Tirumeni of the Murti in the temple.

But I find a certain set of persons who state the same thing again and again, and to give credibility to their statement they even say that they were an eye witness to the incident. Most such incidents that have happened have been reported in the press and protests have taken place from time to time, depending on the circumstances and the seriousness of the attack. example - Ayodhya madapam attack and Erode attack. But certain persons have the habit of stating this without even indicating the date of the incident and in the instant case the same person posted the same item in three different topics. If the intention is solely to incite passions, one does have to make them see reasons. We must understand that inciting passions is the game of the politicians and we need not and must not indulge in it if we have to be productive. My post was meant primarily on the one who tried to incite passions.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent !!!

0 Not allowed!
    Well said Shri. Appaiyaji, Excellent

Regards,
    gurumurthyji
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Dear Sri Appaiah,

Thanks for your clarifications...

Just some of my preceptions for you to consider....

The calculated assault on the Vedic values and culture is very apparent and needs no proofs. So if those kind of incidents,as cited by the Iyengar, we or rather a large section of us, tend to believe it, rather than to question about the validity of such incidents.

As such, the Brahmins have this sense of loss, of a way of life based on freedom of an individual, truth and love of others, which is vanishing and unwanted pattern of behaviours are emerging in the society. There is an apparent sense of helplessness.

This sense of loss makes people a bit of shaky (to put it mildly). There may be geniune cases where these kind of hidden fears need to be expressed to somebody, the intention is to seek comfort by expressing the fears in a group. They may not intentionally want to politicise or provoke people.

Why should we not be more accommodative? We may not have any solutions but just acceptance of the problem gives them some comfort.

I've gone through a large no of your posts, You are very articulate and a very committed person, I've high regards for you, that's why I was a bit upset with your comments. Now you have clarified , let's get over with it.

Regards

malgova.mango
    Last edited by malgova.mango; 03-03-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Changes
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.