• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why Sri Rama jeyam writtern in green ink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ve noticed in a Tv show ,a priest was advicing to write sri rama jeyam in green ink

Kindly tell me

1.What is the reason(especially green ink)
2.How many times ve to write?
3.What is the palan by writing?
4.Specially any time or days?

Kindly tell me

i am very intrigued by queries like this. i dont mean to mock or make fun, but i am wondering, what type of God that is, that in return for certain actions, one could expect rewards.

let us take this post for instance:

1.What is the reason(especially green ink) - does god really care about the colour of the ink?
2.How many times ve to write? - is 1000 times more beneficial than 2000 times?
3.What is the palan by writing? - this takes the cake. does god have a rewards list...for thousand you get a silver spoon and so on
4.Specially any time or days? .. ????

my mother used to write 'sriramajayam' (in malayalam) spanning countless pages. she used to tell me, that she did not expect any rewards out of it. just that it gave her a peace of mind (she was living in canada and thoroughly unhappy) and also helped pass the time.

to me, atleast that was a sobre answer. but i am curious as to from what level these type of questions come.

one sees posters all over chennai, about the miracle powers of yesu.. all you need is attend one meeting and if you are blind you can start seeing..though i dont know, if there was a success rate of even one.

what i would like to see, is folks, like shivagami here, keep tab of her green pen activity, and measure the success rate. much like the succes rate of the astrologers matching horoscopes.

if they don't mind that is....

and a last question...are all these the result of macaulay's imposition of english education on us? or the remnants of our gurukula system?

Mr. K. What you say is the rationalist's point of view, but that is true for any kind of mantram, isnt it? Even the revered Gayatri Mantram.

Mr. K. What you say is the rationalist's point of view, but that is true for any kind of mantram, isnt it? Even the revered Gayatri Mantram.

dear biswa,

i have faith and belief. but i find it difficult to have a quid pro quo relationship with God. that is all.

one has to either believe in randomeness or believe everything is divine will. let us suppose it is the latter, then the divine in his/her infinite wisdom, will not change their mind at the beseech of an ignorant mortal who tries to bribe by scribing a million times his naamam in green ink. that sounds ridiculous to me.

if it be random, like my personal choice which is, i accept good and bad things happening to me, as a random act. and take it in my stride to survive it through, without destroying myself, and keeping my faith intact. most folks change faiths at the face of suffering, that the new god is more powerful to succour; for example dilip kumar became a.r.rahman because his sister had an ailment which baffled the doctors, and a maulvi did something which cured it. who knows what really happened there.

In Sing. Chennai there is a group which distributes empty note books to write 'Rama' either in English, Tamil or Hindi.

They are planning to collect one crore Rama nAmAs. I guess this project is to make people think of Lord Rama at least

for a few minutes every day. My sister in law writes ராமஜெயம் filling up a full diary at the rate of one per year. She

says that it keeps her mind concentrate on Rama nAmA, gives flexibility to her fingers and peace of mind. :)

The green colour concept is new to me! Green indicates prosperity??? :confused:

[h=3]Beliefs about Writing Ramajayem[/h]Rama Koti is a divine Prasad of Rama Nama Japam and Rama Nama Sankirthanam in Rama Namavalli .

Please do not bother about the color of ink, or about the benefits; Write Ramajeyam as many times as possible whenever you can; it will give you a sort of diversion, develop Bhakthi Mentally, and you will surely get peace of mind.

• Writing Sri Rama Jayam is called Likitha Japam- Writing Meditation. This gives one a complete sense of surrender to an inner conscience and peace while writing the golden words.

• You can write this in any language of your choice. It is the connecting chords with the divine and your inner self.

• In the olden days, the finished Rama Jayam books used to be buried in the foundations of the temples while under construction. It is believed that it used to add divine energisation to the Temples along with laying a strong foundation for a spiritual life of the writers

• It is believed that a calmness engulfs as one indulges in writing the Sri Rama Jayam bringing in more clarity of mind, tolerance and strength to withstand obstacles in life

• The mantra forms an unending stream of bliss and a inner noise proclaiming that the Universe is just expanding giving in more opportunities and prosperity

• As you write this matra – in small measures, every day, as and when possible, with due respect, it makes everything else of life’s needs fall in place automatically., just like a miracle of nature guiding its forces

• The mythological references states that the name of Rama is more strong and divine than the Lord Rama himself. When something is started with Om, Sri Ganesh, Sri Rama, they actually wade away all evil.

• Vedas tell that as the sun dispels the darkness, the chanting of Rama Nama dispels all evil and obstacles of life. It is a way of liberation and salvation of human suffering.

• When you think, that all roads are blocked to walk away from day to day problems, writing ‘Sri Rama Jayam’ gives you the most needed clarity of thoughts to find a way out of odd situations

• Preserve the completed books carefully and donate them to temples. These books are preserved for many years and used during Temple expansions

• Kanchi Kamakoti Mutt Pettadipathi’s in olden days used to give one small ‘Kamatchi Amman’ coins to who ever gives one completed book of ‘Sri RamaJayam’ as a token of god’s grace

• Ramacharitra Manas, Vibhishana Gita and Gita Press and Chinamay Mission discourses talk about the divinity of Rama Nama japa. It is called a writing tapas

• It is said that ‘Crores’ of Rama Mantras in the books are collected and placed in a crypt and used during Yagna’s in the Rama Mandir’s in India. Rama Mandir in Wadala Mumbai preserves them for future.

• Writing competitions of the one lakh Rama Jayam used to be nostalgic memories of growing years of many hindu children. These were preserved as treasures to pass on to their future.

• Hindu way of living is seeing humanity in everything around. Writing Rama Jayam gives you a inner awakening towards to human mind, being kind , calm and serene.

• Chanting Shastra Namavalli, Lakshmi Shastra Namanarchana and above writing Rama jayam is considered a soul-ful experience wading away fear and pain from lives

• The act of writing ‘Sri Rama Jayam’ is important and keep his thoughts while doing so, is more important than the script, language or number., though for all longevity of the process a number in mind is planned while making a start

• A selfless and non-expectation while writing gives you more happiness and potential than expecting something writing. For you are a god’s child, and God knows what you want and will give you what you are destined for and deserve. You don’t need to ask God for anything.

• Devotion of service of life and its varied forms is devotion to God. So there is no right or wrong way of writing this. The very thought and process to write is a connection with god and finds a inner meaning.

• It is a gateway to higher consciousness and spiritual upliftment. The chanting of Ram Mantra protects you with divine flow of energy transforming a balanced progress in your materialistic well being and spiritual wellness

• Ram Ramapati Bank in Varanasi and Ram Ram bank in Lucknow where Ram bhaktas deposit Ram naam in thousands and lakhs. More info is available in the following links.Ram Ramapati Bank, spiritual bank in varanasi, miracle of ram naam. and A loan called Ram Naam

• Sri Tulshidas writings say that ” If you place Ram naam in the tip of your tongue ( which is like the gate of the temple) then you will see both inside and outside shining with light ”

• “Shri Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram” is a siddha mantra and whoever uses it will reap a harvest that he himself can never expect. Numerous saints and ordinary people have benefited from this mantra from times immemorial. In this age of Kali yuga it is a medicine which can fade away sins and all other unwanted things in life. It is advised that we chant Rama nama even when we visit Hanuman temples.

Welcome to Ramalay
Umasree Raghunath: Benefits of Writing Sri Rama Jayam

Dear Shri Kunjuppu,

For all karmas(srauta and smArta karmas) SriVaishnavas perform sAtvika tyAgam and not expect any karma phalam in return:

karmaaraMbaat saadvIka tyaagaM (At the start)

bhagavaaneva svaniyaamyasvaruupasthiti pravR^ittisvasheshhataikarasena anena
Atmanaa kartra svakIyaishcopakaraNaiaH svaaradhanaikaprayojanaaya
paramapurushhaH sarvasheshhI shriyaHpatiH svasheshabhUtaM idaM karma svasmai
svaprItyai svayameva kaarayati.

karmottaraat saadvIka tyaagaM (at the end)

bhagavaneva svaniyaamyasvaruupasthiti pravR^ittisvasheshhataikarasena anena
Atmanaa kartra svakIyaishcopakaraNaiaH svaaradhanaikaprayojanaaya
paramapurushhaH sarvasheshhI shriyaHpatiH svasheshabhUtaM idaM karma svasmai
svaprItyai svayameva kaaritavaan.

I thought ancients wrote on Palms leaves,stones,slabs and copper plates..so why green ink?

Anyway Likhita Japam is just to focus a person's mind..but if we start wondering what is the palan even before we start writing..that shows we would only want to do something for a benefit.

The best is to do something just for the sake of God without expecting anything in return..the number of times does not really matter.

After all even Rajinikanth says "If I say something once its equivalent too 100 times"(Naan Oru Thadavai Sonna Nooru Thadavai Sonna Madhiri)

So I leave it you here either write Rajini style..just once with full devotion and concentration and that equals to 100 times or keep writing as much as you like.

Last edited:
There must be thousands of cases because paul dinakaran vouches for the cure!

one sees posters all over chennai, about the miracle powers of yesu.. all you need is attend one meeting and if you are blind you can start seeing..though i dont know, if there was a success rate of even one.

Take this medicine. Don't worry about the cure. Not acceptable most of the time.

Many karmas and pujas are done expecting a palan or as a prayaschittam; even yagnas are done with an end purpose - rain, victory.

Many write sriramajayam with a desired outcome - cure of disease, solution to problems and so on.

I have now taken up sundara kanda parayanam to sort out some 'income' related issue.

I thought ancients wrote on Palms leaves,stones,slabs and copper plates..so why green ink?

Anyway Likhita Japam is just to focus a person's mind..but if we start wondering what is the palan even before we start writing..that shows we would only want to do something for a benefit.

The best is to do something just for the sake of God without expecting anything in return..the number of times does not really matter.

After all even Rajinikanth says "If I say something once its equivalent too 100 times"(Naan Oru Thadavai Sonna Nooru Thadavai Sonna Madhiri)

So I leave it you here either write Rajini style..just once with full devotion and concentration and that equals to 100 times or keep writing as much as you like.

Hi All

My humble namaskarams to everyone.

I don't see any pramana for writing sri rama nama in a specific ink.

And queries like this

is not at all required for this such a great tharaka mantra.
I can recall one incident, I don't remember the swamigal name but it happened in some parts of kumbakonam and thanjavur districts. A swamigal was staying in a village, and he used to recite rama nama continuously. As a result of his nama parayana, even when tress shakes due to winds used to say rama nama it seems. that was the power of rama nama. A householder after seeing this swamiji tejas invited him to have food in his home. So swamigal said that I am will come to your home and have food but you should take Sri rama nama parayana from me. Householder agreed. Swamigal visited his home and sat for having food, in their home householder son was standing in a corner. Swamigal invited him and asked him sit beside swamigal and asked himto have food. Boy came near to swamigal and stood upright. And he asked the boy what is his name. householer replied that his son is dumb. after hearing this swamigal started weeping and said that "hey sri rama what is this leela, how great your nama is i thought of asking these people to chant ypour divya nama, but this small boy is unable to speak your nama, whatever he has done let all his karma gets wiped off by this moment and let the child start speaks Sri rama nama. Swamigal asked him to say "Rama" the divine tharaka mantra. in no point of time the boy pronounced "Rama". That's the power of this tharaka mantra.

To know the power of Rama nama please go through the Rama Anjaneya Yuddha in ramayana. It tells you the greatness of Rama nama.

So never underestimate this mantra. There is no kala, niyama anything. It grants chitta suddhi to the person who recites it.

Sorry i still don't remember the swamigal name.

C.R.Bala

Om Namah Shivayah

Sri Sacchidananda Shiva Abhinava Sri Nrsimha Bharti Thirtha Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara saraswathi mahaswami Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara bharati thirtha Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah

I ve noticed in a Tv show ,a priest was advicing to write sri rama jeyam in green ink

Kindly tell me

Kindly tell me

Smt. Shivagami,

1. Rama is nowadays usually picturised as "green" coloured. (Even Kolu Bommais are painted so, I think.) So, the priest must have thought that this "marketing trick" is likely to succeed.

2. At least five lakh times - what is known as "akshara laksham" times, since there are five aksharas in Sree-raa-ma-je-yam.

3. People imagine that by writing this, chanting this or reading ramayana or sundarakanda, anything which they originally desire and for the attainment of which they commence doing any of these practices, is bound to be achieved surely.

4. Generally after evening nightfall or sandhyaa, none of these is to be done; only daytime is recommended.

Having said all these, let me tell you that none of these usually helps. My mother, who is no more, started chanting Raamanaamam in order to tide over the great financial debacle which faced her (our, that is) family and continued this practice till her last illness of 15 days or so. She would have completed chanting very many crores of raamajeyams with her rosary of Tulsi beads. But those financial difficulties could not be got over till I got a job and had to put my entire energies and attention to it. Even so, in their (my parents') own way of thinking they sold off land which is now worth > a crore of rupees for a paltry Rs.10,000/= in 1970 or so and about which some of my relatives told me it was a foolish decision.

My wife's grandmother used to write Sreeranajeyam for a long number of years. But it is very difficult to say whether it really helped. She lost her husband suddenly and lived for many more years (25, I think) after that and finally she could not even get up but had to crawl.

My mother's Chithappa, who incidentally gave the upadesam of ramanamam to my mother, had a miserable life. He lost one son-in-law, one daughter-in-law and after his demise the entire family completely disintegrated.

My mother-in-law's athimbar who had eight daughters (only) used to read sundarakandam. He also had many deaths but was lucky to have had one son-in-law who looked after him (and his wife) reasonably well till the end. This son-in-law was his (athimbar's) wife's maruman.

I will therefore suggest that instead of spending time on such "time-pass" activities, one should better try to tackle one's problems with worldly knowledge and logic and, at the same time, desist from creating any harm to others.

Take this medicine. Don't worry about the cure. Not acceptable most of the time.

Many karmas and pujas are done expecting a palan or as a prayaschittam; even yagnas are done with an end purpose - rain, victory.

Many write sriramajayam with a desired outcome - cure of disease, solution to problems and so on.

I have now taken up sundara kanda parayanam to sort out some 'income' related issue.

BTW what were people writing before Treta Yuga??

i am very intrigued by queries like this. i dont mean to mock or make fun, but i am wondering, what type of God that is, that in return for certain actions, one could expect rewards.

let us take this post for instance:

1.What is the reason(especially green ink) - does god really care about the colour of the ink?
2.How many times ve to write? - is 1000 times more beneficial than 2000 times?
3.What is the palan by writing? - this takes the cake. does god have a rewards list...for thousand you get a silver spoon and so on
4.Specially any time or days? .. ????

my mother used to write 'sriramajayam' (in malayalam) spanning countless pages. she used to tell me, that she did not expect any rewards out of it. just that it gave her a peace of mind (she was living in canada and thoroughly unhappy) and also helped pass the time.

to me, atleast that was a sobre answer. but i am curious as to from what level these type of questions come.

what i would like to see, is folks, like shivagami here, keep tab of her green pen activity, and measure the success rate. much like the succes rate of the astrologers matching horoscopes.

if they don't mind that is....

and a last question...are all these the result of macaulay's imposition of english education on us? or the remnants of our gurukula system?

Dear Shri Kunjuppu,

I can realize the view/s that you have on this and similar sounding doubts. And I can also empathize with those who come with such doubts. Kindly see my reply to Smt. Shivagami in post # 13 above.

This particular doubt, as you can see, has emanated from someone coming on TV and telling that Sreeramajeyam is preferably written in green ink. Our so-called "aasthika brihaspathies" go on inventing such new ideas constantly and, now that there are many tv channels "spreading" hinduism, we will get such 'sparkling diamonds' of 'spiritual advice/tips' etc., from those channel programmes.

On the other side we have people who are right now in the very middle of their family responsibitilities and usually in the present day circumstances, the ambitions are always much more than ability. These people feel themselves in the middle of the ocean, sometimes, and do not know how to reach the shore safely. For such people, the old saying எத்தெத் தின்னா பித்தம் தீரும் (ettet tiṉṉā pittam tīrum = which medicine can I take in order to cure my bile disease?) is applicable. These people will grab any such 'remedies' and hope fervently to tide over their perceived problems with the direct, personal intervention of one or the other of the myriad anthropomorphic gods that we have in Hinduism.

You will see that I grew up in such an atmosphere, but, somehow, I also observed that it is not dependence on such quasi-effective which actually help people to overcome their problems but a worldly-wise attitude and a readiness to face troubles and difficulties cheerfully without those troubles and difficulties overcoming us. But such an attitude is not found in many people and they are the people who readily go for any or all such "divine help" kind of problem-solving.

Wise counsels are unwise in such cases, imo! ;)

dear biswa,

i have faith and belief. but i find it difficult to have a quid pro quo relationship with God. that is all.

one has to either believe in randomeness or believe everything is divine will. let us suppose it is the latter, then the divine in his/her infinite wisdom, will not change their mind at the beseech of an ignorant mortal who tries to bribe by scribing a million times his naamam in green ink. that sounds ridiculous to me.

if it be random, like my personal choice which is, i accept good and bad things happening to me, as a random act. and take it in my stride to survive it through, without destroying myself, and keeping my faith intact. most folks change faiths at the face of suffering, that the new god is more powerful to succour; for example dilip kumar became a.r.rahman because his sister had an ailment which baffled the doctors, and a maulvi did something which cured it. who knows what really happened there.

Dear Kunjuppu,

We have absolutely no evidence for saying that everything (that happens) is divine will; yes, much of what happens to each one of us is not as per our will. There is also no proof for the divine to have infinite wisdom. Both are just "suppositions" or personal imaginations. If so, people can very well imagine, additionally, that that god with infinite wisdom, may be like a benevolent schoolmaster who asks students to write "imposition" and refrains from further punishments if the imposition is dutifully complied with. And, repeating the very god's name is the best way of proving that one has/had been thinking of that very god only and thus please him/her. Don't you agree?

i can understand, repeat, understand empathize with folks who write million times sriramajayam.

i am sure it will give them peace of mind, and that alone is worth it. God Bless.

When we visited Mahalakshmi temple at Delaware in 2009, the chief priest gave me a few sheets with checks enough to hold the word
'Rama' and asked me to fill up and submit, before I left for India. The temple had a project to collect one crore Rama nAmAs. :pray2:

One of my close relative lady, affected by Parkinson's disease, is advised to write 'Ramajayam', to improve the movement of her fingers.

Rama nAmA therapy! :thumb:

sri rama jaya rama jaya jaya rama
sri rama jaya rama jaya jaya rama

Last edited by a moderator:
If one writes SreeRamajeyam, then one should not branch off into unnecessary things like the above. I have not heard of anyone trying to recite this couplet.
What does it really mean, "sri rama jayam", even if the story is true? According to the story (or reality as the case may be) Rama did defeat Ravana, it is all done, why crow about it like this? He has already won, he already got Sita back, and then sent her packing into the forest -- even if someone says sri rama ajayam these things cannot be altered, they will remain fictional or real as the case may be.

What does it really mean, "sri rama jayam", even if the story is true? According to the story (or reality as the case may be) Rama did defeat Ravana, it is all done, why crow about it like this? He has already won, he already got Sita back, and then sent her packing into the forest -- even if someone says sri rama ajayam these things cannot be altered, they will remain fictional or real as the case may be.

Dear Nara,

I think we should not go on the above lines. Perhaps we continue to wish Sri rama success in his day-to-day life even now (you know, rama is eternal and so he must be living even today!) and we think (imagine) that when we wish him (rama) success, he will return it by making us successful in whatever our endeavour may be.

But, according to the orthodoxy sriramajeyam is like a mantra and there is absolutely no leeway for changing it to sri rama jaya rama jaya jaya rama, or anything else.

Since it is the basic rule to follow only that which customs and beliefs permit (which is why the OP was made) I thought of telling Smt. Shivagami that writing sriramajeyam is different from writing sri rama jaya rama jaya jaya rama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back