• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Harvard scientists find proof of Yoga & Meditation benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Shri Sravna,

That yoga will help in improving the genes is something that needs to be appreciated..Close to what you have been propounding in this forum!

Dear Shri Vgane,

The credit for that should actually go to Shri.Vaagmi. And I too strongly believe in it.

Dear Shri Vgane,

The credit for that should actually go to Shri.Vaagmi. And I too strongly believe in it.

Agree..Shri Vaagmi put the nail on the coffin of the naysayers, doubting Thomases with his candid and bold rebuttals!

He deserves the credit for opening our eyes to our own treasure troves!

Dear Shri Vgane,

Dear Shri Gane,

The article only says "on how the ancient practices affect genes and brain activity in the chronically stressed". Which genes are 'affected', whether the genes get altered permanently, whether this altered gene is passed on to offspring and also whether such alteration has any other side effect, etc., have all to be found out (discovered) in future only. Let us not jump to hasty conclusions like காளை பெத்துதாம், கயறெ எடுத்தானாம்!

Let us slow down a little and not jump to wild conclusions and break out the champaign.

The first prerequisite of scientific process is skepticism, irrespective of the source, whether Harvard, or Bharat Ratna Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. MGR Engineering College. Some of the greatest scientific hoaxes are by well respected scientists from well respected institutions. Take a look at this artile: Top 10 Scientific Frauds and Hoaxes - Listverse and this http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/science/12clone.html. This is why scientific claims are carefully checked, replicated, and verified before they are accepted as valid.

So, just slow down a little. I am not saying this research is fraud, it could very well turn to be absolutely on the money, but we are not there yet. These statistical studies must be replicated by independent scientists before it can be accepted as scientifically proven.

Leaving all this aside, what does the article actually say? The main point of the research, as reported in the cited article, can be summed up by this single quote, "The kinds of things that happen when you meditate do have effects throughout the body, not just in the brain.” Dah! In as much as much of the bodily functions are controlled by the brain it is not surprising that meditation, a mental activity, will have effect throughout the body. One may call these changes in brain waves "spiritual", but that is nevertheless a physical phenomenon, nothing other worldly about it. Many ancient cultures have their own special "spiritual" (but physical nevertheless) practices that are seen to have tangible beneficial bodily effect. The cited article itself quotes the researcher's experience in China.

The article also mentions a previous study by these researchers in which they found, "how so-called mind-body techniques can switch on and off some genes linked to stress and immune function." That is it, there is no mention of genes undergoing mutations and these mutations mutations getting passed down to the next generation and the passed down mutated genes getting selected by endowing survival and reproductive advantage to the offsprings -- nothing.

Yet, our jAti supremacist friends are so eager to jump to மொழங்கால்/மொட்டத்தலை type of conclusion and crow -- "nails have been driven in the coffins of naysayers." LOL!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us slow down a little and not jump to wild conclusions and break out the champaign.

The first prerequisite of scientific process is skepticism........... This is why scientific claims are carefully checked, replicated, and verified before they are accepted as valid.

A statement of the obvious. So no comments.

So, just slow down a little. I am not saying this research is fraud, it could very well turn to be absolutely on the money, but we are not there yet. These statistical studies must be replicated by independent scientists before it can be accepted as scientifically proven.

If "Harvard scientists" are not scientists who else is this group of high priests of science whose certificate will be acceptable?

Leaving all this aside, what does the article actually say? The main point of the research, as reported in the cited article, can be summed up by this single quote, "The kinds of things that happen when you meditate do have effects throughout the body, not just in the brain.” Dah! In as much as much of the bodily functions are controlled by the brain it is not surprising that meditation, a mental activity, will have effect throughout the body. One may call these changes in brain waves "spiritual", but that is nevertheless a physical phenomenon, nothing other worldly about it. Many ancient cultures have their own special "spiritual" (but physical nevertheless) practices that are seen to have tangible beneficial bodily effect. The cited article itself quotes the researcher's experience in China.

No comments. I do not know whether any of the Harvard scientists have claimed the physical phenomenon to be an otherworldly event.

The article also mentions a previous study by these researchers in which they found, "how so-called mind-body techniques can switch on and off some genes linked to stress and immune function." That is it, there is no mention of genes undergoing mutations and these mutations mutations getting passed down to the next generation and the passed down mutated genes getting selected by endowing survival and reproductive advantage to the offsprings -- nothing.

If switching on and switching off genes is an ability acquired (not natural) to human beings then passing on this ability to offsprings can not be far off. Mutation is just one step away. Any advantage in survival has a fair chance of getting passed on to the offsprings.

Leaving this aside, earlier when I pointed out the inherited lactose tolerance among a certain tribes and how it was interpreted by anthropologists as culture having its impact on genes in a fundamental way, my words were drowned in a deluge of inane outpourings. There it was a much better case as the results were observable physically (they were carefully observed in fact) and could be traced to a certain specific cultural practice of ancestors through generations.

The self-appointed high priests would always like to have the final say which help them go to bed that day happy that their kingdom of knowledge is intact-that no desperadoes planting any thing new which they can not understand.

Yet, our jAti supremacist friends are so eager to jump to மொழங்கால்/மொட்டத்தலை type of conclusion and crow -- "nails have been driven in the coffins of naysayers." LOL!!!

LOL. This supremacist fighter, knight in shining armour on horseback, got another opportunity to shoot from his hips. Personally I do not want any nails to be driven in any coffins. I want all the fighters here to live long and keep fighting to their heart's content and if they want they can get out of their coffins to come here and fight too Dracula style. LOL

Last edited:
LOL. This supremacist fighter, knight in shining armour on horseback, got another opportunity to shoot from his hips. Personally I do not want any nails to be driven in any coffins. I want all the fighters here to live long and keep fighting to their heart's content and if they want they can get out of their coffins to come here and fight too Dracula style. LOL

Nice and lucid response. I wish to see more people clicking on 'like' of post #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back