• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

விளையாட இது நேரமா முருகா

Status
Not open for further replies.
விளையாட இது நேரமா முருகா

விளையாட இது நேரமா முருகா

பல்லவி

விளையாட இது நேரமா முருகா-என்
வினையாலே படும் பாடு தனை சொல்ல வரும்போது( விளையாட)
அனுபல்லவி
களைத்தேன் ஜன்மம் எடுத்து இளைத்தேன் பொறுத்திருந்து
உளமார உனை நாடி உனை பாடி வரும்போது( விளையாட)
சரணம்
புரியாத புதிரோ நீ அறியாத கலையோ
பரிகாசமோ என்மேல் பரிதாபமில்லையோ
விரித்தோகை மயில் வருவாய் என்ரெதிர் பார்த்து
விழி மேலே விழி வைத்து வழி பார்த்து வரும்போது( விளையாட)
Pallavi
vilaiyada idhu nerama muruga - en
vinaiyale padum padu dhanai solla varumbodhu
Anupallavi
kalaithen janmam eduttu ilaitten porutthirundu
ulamara unai nadi unai pada varumbodhu (Vilaiyada)
charanam
puriyadha pudhiro nee ariyadha kalaiyo
parihasamo enmel paridhabamillaiyo
virithogai mayil meedhu varuvay enredhir parttu
vizhi mele vizhi vaitthu vazhi parthu varumbodhu (Vilaiyada)

Varagooran Narayanan

விளையாட இது நேரமா முருகா

பல்லவி

விளையாட இது நேரமா முருகா-என்
வினையாலே படும் பாடு தனை சொல்ல வரும்போது( விளையாட)
அனுபல்லவி
களைத்தேன் ஜன்மம் எடுத்து இளைத்தேன் பொறுத்திருந்து
உளமார உனை நாடி உனை பாடி வரும்போது( விளையாட)
சரணம்
புரியாத புதிரோ நீ அறியாத கலையோ
பரிகாசமோ என்மேல் பரிதாபமில்லையோ
விரித்தோகை மயில் வருவாய் என்ரெதிர் பார்த்து
விழி மேலே விழி வைத்து வழி பார்த்து வரும்போது( விளையாட)
Pallavi
vilaiyada idhu nerama muruga - en
vinaiyale padum padu dhanai solla varumbodhu
Anupallavi
kalaithen janmam eduttu ilaitten porutthirundu
ulamara unai nadi unai pada varumbodhu (Vilaiyada)
charanam
puriyadha pudhiro nee ariyadha kalaiyo
parihasamo enmel paridhabamillaiyo
virithogai mayil meedhu varuvay enredhir parttu
vizhi mele vizhi vaitthu vazhi parthu varumbodhu (Vilaiyada)

Varagooran Narayanan

Dear Shri Narasimhan,

The above composition is an "average" one. In particular the phrase விரித்தோகை மயில் வருவாய் rankles;
what does it mean and what is its context, in this song?

Dear Shri Narasimhan,

The above composition is an "average" one. In particular the phrase rankles;
what does it mean and what is its context, in this song?

Dear Mr.sangom,
I am not a tamil pandit nor a kavinger to compose a song. I am therefore not in a position to answer your question. However I have posted your question in my comments column to the above song and if there is any reply, I shall then let you know. If not encouraging such efforts let us not discourage them... விரித்தோகை மயில்/ வருவா ( meethu-மீது) என்று இருக்கவேண்டும் என நினைக்கிறேன். Am I right?

Last edited:
Dear Mr.sangom,
I am not a tamil pandit nor a kavinger to compose a song. I am therefore not in a position to answer your question. However I have posted your question in my comments column to the above song and if there is any reply, I shall then let you know. If not encouraging such efforts let us not discourage them... விரித்தோகை மயில்/ வருவா ( meethu-மீது) என்று இருக்கவேண்டும் என நினைக்கிறேன். Am I right?

In continuation to the above reply you may kindly note that this "meethu" is mentioned in the English script...Narasimhan

In continuation to the above reply you may kindly note that this "meethu" is mentioned in the English script...Narasimhan

Thanks. Still, I feel that this composition suffers from cogency of ideas and the ability to attract people.

For example, why in the world should one who says களைத்தேன் ஜன்மம் எடுத்து இளைத்தேன் பொறுத்திருந்து
உளமார உனை நாடி உனை பாடி வரும்போது. and also
என்
வினையாலே படும் பாடு தனை சொல்ல வரும்போது, should complain or find fault with God Murukan not coming on
விரித்தோகை மயில் மீது (வருவாய் என்ரெதிர் பார்த்து )? And, to top it all if one is going towards Murukan (உளமார உனை நாடி உனை பாடி வரும்போது, என் வினையாலே படும் பாடு தனை சொல்ல வரும்போது) it is not normal to describe it as வருவாய் என்ரெதிர் பார்த்து விழி மேலே விழி வைத்து வழி பார்த்து வரும்போது - this will happen when one is expecting the guest to come and is himself waiting.

So, all in all, this a தட்டிக்கூட்டு as they say in Malayalam.

...So, all in all, this a தட்டிக்கூட்டு as they say in Malayalam.
I feel the same way Sangom, much of the compositions are just a kathambam, or aviyal, of tired old bromides strung together for old ladies and gentleman to nod their heads in devotional ecstasy. Though an atheist I love beautiful lyrics set to beautiful music, even if its dripping with bhakti, take for example the ஆய்ச்சியர் குறவை song by the Jain bard extraordinair Ilango, sung so beautifully by M.S. (ahem Amma)-- வடவரையை மத்தாக்கி.

Thanks,
If you think the composition is a 'thattikoottu' and suffers from cogency of ideas and the ability to attract people, let it be. Then you are free to have your own idea about the composition.

Thanks,
If you think the composition is a 'thattikoottu' and suffers from cogency of ideas and the ability to attract people, let it be. Then you are free to have your own idea about the composition.

Dear Shri Narasimhan,

Whatever I or for that matter Shri Nara wrote, was to annoy you. You had simply (மொட்டையா) copy-pasted this composition and the only extra info that could be gleaned from the OP was that, probably, its composer is one Varagooran Narayanan whoever he may be.

I thought that you have taken the trouble to "simply" post it here in order to elicit opinions/views about it from the various forum members and accordingly, posted my sincere opinion. Now, Shri Nara also has given his view.

In such circumstances, if I were in your place, I would have thanked the other posters instead of trying to snub them like this. Suppose we say, in the same way, "why at all you had to C&P this less-than-mediocre composition here and waste archive space and members' time? Could you not have kept that composition to yourself?", what answer will you give?

So, my humble request is not to risk complete non-response to your future posts by snubbing honest opinions like this.

Dear Sirs,

The meaning of the song goes as if the composer speaks to God Subrahmanya . The meaning of the text is:
Vilayada idu nerama: Is it time for playing? I am coming to express my difficulties which I am suffering because of my karmas (en vinayale means because of my karma; padum paaduthanai cholla varumbodu- when I approach You to express the difficulities) is it timeto play?
Charanam:What is it that you don't know, whether there is anything in the world that You don't know (Puriyadha pudhiro) don't You know how to ward me off the problem- the art of solving my problem(nee ariyada kalaiyo), or You are teasing me (parihasamo) or you are not having any compassion towards me( en mel paridapam illaiyo). The composer is saying that he is expecting God Muruga on the peacock (Virithogai mayil meethu) means the peacock opens its feathers Viritha thogai means the opened feathers. The composer says that he is expecting God Muruga on a beautiful peacock which has opened his feathers like a fan and has fixed his eyes on the route (vazhimele means vazhi means path vizhi means eyes ) varuvai enru ehtir parthu( varuvai means come ) I am thinking you will be coming and is it the time to play?

Thank you Mr.9868836164, for expanding the text with meanings. Since i am not well versed in tamil songs or for that matter composing one i was blinking as to what reply is to be given for those two gentlemen who had in their own words decided to annoy me. You came to my rescue and i thank you once again.

Dear Shri Narasimhan,

Whatever I or for that matter Shri Nara wrote, was to annoy you. You had simply (மொட்டையா) copy-pasted this composition and the only extra info that could be gleaned from the OP was that, probably, its composer is one Varagooran Narayanan whoever he may be.

I thought that you have taken the trouble to "simply" post it here in order to elicit opinions/views about it from the various forum members and accordingly, posted my sincere opinion. Now, Shri Nara also has given his view.

In such circumstances, if I were in your place, I would have thanked the other posters instead of trying to snub them like this. Suppose we say, in the same way, "why at all you had to C&P this less-than-mediocre composition here and waste archive space and members' time? Could you not have kept that composition to yourself?", what answer will you give?

So, my humble request is not to risk complete non-response to your future posts by snubbing honest opinions like this.

Dear Shri sangom,

It pains me deep for your uncharitable views about me. You are my highly respected and regarded friend in this forum. ( If i am wrong to mention you as my friend-without your permission- please ignore and excuse me) Still you and another gentleman are all out to annoy me according to our own words, just for the sin for pasting somebody's composition. I never questioned your views or opinions about the composition. You asked me to keep the composition to myself, instead of wasting archive space and members' precious time. Please let me know ,how? Do you advise me not to CP any other's post or article? I am not that much educated or experienced to post my original text about various things or jump into the fray to reel out my opinions or views when some hapless person like me CP some article that may be interested to him. கற்றது கைமணளவு கல்லாதது உலகளவு.
Thank you Mr.sangom for all your views and opinions about this composition.
with warm regards,
Narasimhan.

Dear Shri sangom,

It pains me deep for your uncharitable views about me. You are my highly respected and regarded friend in this forum. ( If i am wrong to mention you as my friend-without your permission- please ignore and excuse me) Still you and another gentleman are all out to annoy me according to our own words, just for the sin for pasting somebody's composition. I never questioned your views or opinions about the composition. You asked me to keep the composition to myself, instead of wasting archive space and members' precious time. Please let me know ,how? Do you advise me not to CP any other's post or article? I am not that much educated or experienced to post my original text about various things or jump into the fray to reel out my opinions or views when some hapless person like me CP some article that may be interested to him. கற்றது கைமணளவு கல்லாதது உலகளவு.
Thank you Mr.sangom for all your views and opinions about this composition.
with warm regards,
Narasimhan.

Dear Shri Narasimhan,

There is absolutely no bar on any member C&P-ing anything here. But my comment was w.r.t. your remark in your post # 7 as under:

"If you think the composition is a 'thattikoottu' and suffers from cogency of ideas and the ability to attract people, let it be. Then you are free to have your own idea about the composition."

You see this forum is essentially a 'Bulletin Board' and it is expected that members are free to express their view in civil language on whatever is posted here or whatever opinions/views are expressed. If this is appreciated, then everything is OK.

'viLaiyaaDa idhu nEramaa'

raagam:
shanmukhapriya

Aa: S R2 G2 M2 P D1 N2 S

Av: S N2 D1 P M2 G2 R2 S

TaaLam: aadi. Composer:
T.N. Baala

Language: Tamil

pallavi

viLaiyADa idu nEramA murugA en vinaiyAlE paDum pADu tanai sholla varumpOdu

anupallavi

kaLaittEn janmam eDuttu iLaittEn porunttirundu uLamAra unai nADi unaip pADa varumbOtu

caraNam

puriyaada pudirO nee ariyaada kadaiyO

pariHaasamO enmEl paritaapamillaiyO

virittOgai mayil meedu varuvaay endredir paarttu

vazhi mElE vizhi vaitthu vazhi paarttu varumbOtu

Other information:

This song is often mistakenly attributed to
Paapanaasam Sivan.

"Maharaajapuram Santaanam once wrote to me that he took a little liberty with my lyrics in anupallavi

and replaced the word 'iLaiththen' with 'saLaiththEn' for obvious reason." - T.N. Baala

Source:
Carnatic Songs - viLaiyADa idu nEramA murugA

Last edited:
Dear Balu Sir,

This song was written by Sri. T. N. Bala and set to tune by Maharajapuram Sri. Santhanam. It was one of the 'rasikar viruppam'

songs in most of his concerts. I don't teach it to my young students because they should not lament about வினையாலே படும்பாடு

(vinaiyAlE padumpAdu) at that age!! :)

About Sri. T. N. Bala:

Bala Mama, as he is affectionately known, is a great singer and composer. T.N.Bala is a student of Mani Iyer. He is a very good mridangam player

as well. He has composed songs like Vilayada Ithu Nerama which has been sung by artists like Sri Maharajapuram Santhanam.

'The vocalist is also a well known teacher and composer who has composed over 300 compositions, mostly in the South Indian language

Tamil, and a few in Sanskrit also. His famous composition in Shanmukhapriya raaga : Vilayada Ithu Nerama? has been sung by several top

ranking vocalists such as the late Maharajapuram Santanam and Ramachandran, T. V. Shankaranarayanan, Sudha Raghunathan, etc.

Yesh Prabhu'
The above comments in quotes are from HERE

Thank you Mrs.Rajiram for the valuable information you have now furnished about the composition. I wonder why you kept quite for a long time when you know so much about this composition, and you could have definitely mentioned all these information in the beginning itself. Perhaps you must have waited to know how this debate ends and to enter at the right time. May I jokingly ask you
[h=1]"விளையாட இது நேரமா "[/h]

Dear P S N Sir,

You might not know what my other friends in our forum know about me! I do not log out since I don't like to type out the password

each time! A sort of laziness?? So it will appear that I am always online in our forum!

I was away to visit my mom and did not see the posts. As soon as I saw this thread, I shared all the information I knew about this song. :)

I listened to Sri TN Bala (1927-2012) in 2006. I am just a lowly raskia. I was impressed with his knowledge, humility and talk.

You can find his dicourse on Thiruppugazh here ; He also talked about his compositions.

His talk here (MP3 file) talks about his compositions and criticisms. Please listen around 8 minute mark (The entire MP3 link runs for 40 minutes or so) - He did mention "Commentators are more brilliant than the composers"

Last edited:
I listened to Sri TN Bala (1927-2012) in 2006. I am just a lowly raskia. I was impressed with his knowledge, humility and talk.

You can find his dicourse on Thiruppugazh here ; He also talked about his compositions.

His talk here (MP3 file) talks about his compositions and criticisms. Please listen around 8 minute mark (The entire MP3 link runs for 40 minutes or so) - He did mention "Commentators are more brilliant than the composers"

Re. highlightedd portion, the consumer is god. Just as a cook may be great but his great cooking has to appeal to the palate of the eaters, a composer's products have to appeal to the listeners. Compare this low-class kriti with திருவடி சரணமென்றிங்கு நான் நம்பிவந்தேன் whose inept & comic rehash this looks like.

From what you have written I am not sure whether you are referring to Gopalakrishna BharathiyAr's compostion Nandanar songs of Gopalakrishnabharati

உனது திருவடி நம்பிவந்தேன் எனக் கொருவருமில்லைநா னேழை [உனது]

Gopalakrishna BharathiyAr is certainly a great composer - TN Bala may not come close. In fifty years, only great compositions may survive.

Each listener is to his or her own. If you do not want to listen that is your free will. If you want to criticise again that is your free will. If you think that only the outstanding should compose that is your free will.

There are others who encourage/nurture composers/singers. Again that is their free will.

Tastes are indivualistic. For example here is a person
http://sujamusic.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/vilaiyada-idu-nerama/ who likes this music (she calls lyrics of this song (song under discussion) beautiful lyrics) . Paragraph before the last paragraph (in the link) is very appealing to me.

One may also see a number of rasika's opinion here (including exchanges involving Maharajapuram Santhanam and TNB)

The reason I gave this link (in my earlier post 22
) is to give a chance to listen to a composer (not my intention is to change any one's opinion) sharing his perspective.

Moorthy
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Dear Prof M S K Sir,

Thanks for your posts and links given here, even though you have very little time to spare for our forum! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back