• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

looking for guidance reg., meditation-japa mala ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shivagami

I wish to meditate so please guide me....daily 9 times morning and eve I used to tell maha mritujaya mantra...but I read that telling 108 times is good...I feel difficuilt to count...so please guide me on japa mala...1.how to buy japa mala?2.what is the procedure to hold it?what are the rules I ve to follow?what I should not do? I wish to meditate om aim hreem kleem chamundaya viche...can I mediate this?is there any rules and donts for this mantra?usally I used to assume a jothi on my inbetween eyebrows...is there any other method?please....I am looking for a brief explanation...kindly guide me..thanking you...Regards...Shivagami

Hi Shivagami

Before answering this I need to ask one question please don't mind.

you are a purusha or stri?

If you are a stri then I can give explanations based on that or else the other way.

Thanks
C.R.Bala
Om Namah Shivayah
Sri Sacchidananda shiva abhinava sri nrsimha bharti thirtha charanaara vindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara saraswathi mahaswami charanaara vindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara bharti thirtha charanaara vindhabhyaam namah

Hi Shivagami

Before answering this I need to ask one question please don't mind.

you are a purusha or stri?

If you are a stri then I can give explanations based on that or else the other way.

Thanks
C.R.Bala
Om Namah Shivayah
Sri Sacchidananda shiva abhinava sri nrsimha bharti thirtha charanaara vindhabhyaam namah
Thank you for your valuable response....I am 32 year old lady.Married having 4 years old kid...I am house wife...I m having lot of time to meditate....I am looking eagerly for your response...sir

I wish to meditate so please guide me....daily 9 times morning and eve I used to tell maha mritujaya mantra...but I read that telling 108 times is good...I feel difficuilt to count...so please guide me on japa mala...1.how to buy japa mala?2.what is the procedure to hold it?what are the rules I ve to follow?what I should not do? I wish to meditate om aim hreem kleem chamundaya viche...can I mediate this?is there any rules and donts for this mantra?usally I used to assume a jothi on my inbetween eyebrows...is there any other method?please....I am looking for a brief explanation...kindly guide me..thanking you...Regards...Shivagami

Smt. Shivagami,

Irrespective of whether you are a male or female, my advice to you is not to indulge in this recitation of mahaa mrityunjaya mantra or the "chaamuNDaayai vicce" (சாமுண்டாயை விச்சே seems to be the correct mantra; please get the correct rendition.) etc. These will not give you any tangible benefits.

According to the beliefs of our elders (old generation brahmins) all such mantras have to be learned from a proper guru, first recited with complete ritual purity (i.e.,மடி, ஆசாரம், சுத்தம், etc.) aksharalaksham times (i.e., as many lakhs as there are aksharas in the mantra) and then only can a person chant it for effect. You will find that making அக்ஷரலக்ஷம் ஆவர்த்தி of the mahaamrityumjaya mantra is a near impossible task (42 letters and so one will have to recite 42 lakh times!).

As regards சாமுண்டாயை விச்சே, it is a Tantrik Mantra and our elders scrupulously avoided all such Tantrik Mantras because these are not allowed in our vaideeka sampradaayam.

Nowadays however, there are several self-claimed "gurujis", godmen etc., who make Upadesams of all types of mantras and our people also flock to such fake gurus/godmen, and take them to be gods and try to do whatever "upadesam" is given. Again, according to orthodox hindu beliefs, if women dabble with such mantras, very evil results only will befall the family of such women.

In case you are determined to go forward with your desires, please at least learn the correct wording and swaras.

Smt. Shivagami,

Irrespective of whether you are a male or female, my advice to you is not to indulge in this recitation of mahaa mrityunjaya mantra or the "chaamuNDaayai vicce" (சாமுண்டாயை விச்சே seems to be the correct mantra; please get the correct rendition.) etc. These will not give you any tangible benefits.

According to the beliefs of our elders (old generation brahmins) all such mantras have to be learned from a proper guru, first recited with complete ritual purity (i.e.,மடி, ஆசாரம், சுத்தம், etc.) aksharalaksham times (i.e., as many lakhs as there are aksharas in the mantra) and then only can a person chant it for effect. You will find that making அக்ஷரலக்ஷம் ஆவர்த்தி of the mahaamrityumjaya mantra is a near impossible task (42 letters and so one will have to recite 42 lakh times!).

As regards சாமுண்டாயை விச்சே, it is a Tantrik Mantra and our elders scrupulously avoided all such Tantrik Mantras because these are not allowed in our vaideeka sampradaayam.

Nowadays however, there are several self-claimed "gurujis", godmen etc., who make Upadesams of all types of mantras and our people also flock to such fake gurus/godmen, and take them to be gods and try to do whatever "upadesam" is given. Again, according to orthodox hindu beliefs, if women dabble with such mantras, very evil results only will befall the family of such women.

In case you are determined to go forward with your desires, please at least learn the correct wording and swaras.
Thank you for your valuable advice sir...it makes me to get clarification...kindly tell me...as a family women what manthra I ve to recite on meditation...can I recite arutperum jothi? or om sai ram/sayinathaya namaha...please mention any simple mantras for me...I am interested to do mantra/nama japa on brahma muhurtha...can I use japa mala?if ok...please tell what mala I ve to use?any procedure for that?if it also exibits some evil fall due to my unknown misuse by me or my family then i will not use it...please clarify to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
some innocent common people like me ....searching mantras for meditations....but some fake self claimed gurujis updating very powerful mantras to public...so it creates evil effects...i asked my doubts here...but innocent unawared people getting some rasipalan books(where powerful manthras wrote)...hindu holy books(rs 10 to rs20) and especially some websites ....paving a path to an evil effects.....luckily i asked my doubts here....sai rescued me....om sai ram...

Sri Shivagami

Sruti prescribes that stri should not chant veda mantras. Please go through the anugraha bhashana of Sringeri Bharati Thirtha Swami and Anugraha Bhashana of Sri Chandrasekhara saraswathi mahaperiyava in his upanyasams. more over you can find this in mahaperiyava's deivathin kural. I don't remember the volume number correctly. So what stri can recite if they are prohibited to chant veda mantras. Acharya gives upaya for this as well. Bhagavatpada has composed many wonderful stotras like soundaryalahari, lakshmi nrsimha karavalamba stotra, etc.,

More over to meditate please go to any mutt either sringeri mutt or kanchi kamakoti mutt ask the priest to initiate you on gauri panchakshari. Because in smarta sampradaya after gayatri a purusha is initiated on Shiva Panchakshari and women is initiated on gauri panchakshari. Moreover even if you are not getting any help on getting initiated on this mantra. The final refuge is Tharaka mantra RAMA nama. This mantra is immense powerful mantra. And the pramana for this would be bhagavan nama koumudi written by great Lakshmidharacharya. It is said that the moment when we pronounce this tharaka mantra lord gives moksha to the devotee and all the papas are burnt. Seeing this sri bhagavan nama bodhendraal chanted several crores times of this tharaka mantra. One more request please don't call me sir. I am not eligible for this title. there are many stalwarts of veda, vedanta and meemamsa sastras only they are eligible.

Sri Sangom Sir

As said earlier women are prohibited to chant the veda mantras. There might be question how Sri Maitreyi and other are women and they are mantra thristaas for vedic swaras. Acharya Sri Bharati thirtha gives answer for this as well. All those maitreyi and other women mantra thrastaas led their life as sanyasini and they realised the brahmam within them. So they were able to listen to the divine sabdas. But whereas women in this arena has to struggle a lot.

Thanks
C.R.Bala
Thanks
C.R.Bala
Om Namah Shivayah

Thank you for your valuable advice sir...it makes me to get clarification...kindly tell me...as a family women what manthra I ve to recite on meditation...can I recite arutperum jothi? or om sai ram/sayinathaya namaha...please mention any simple mantras for me...I am interested to do mantra/nama japa on brahma muhurtha...can I use japa mala?if ok...please tell what mala I ve to use?any procedure for that?if it also exibits some evil fall due to my unknown misuse by me or my family then i will not use it...please clarify to me...

Smt. Shivakami,

The best mantra which was given in "upadesam" to our brahmin women was "panchaaksharee" or "ஓம் நமச்சிவாய". Of course, I hope you are aware that it has to be spelt like Om namaSSivaaya (and not as Om namacchivaaya - though in Tamizh we can only write this way.) You may chant it in braahma muhoorta, or, if there is any urgent work on some day, in the morning hours. In the earlier days our women (including my grandmother and mother) used to observe மடி and also before taking even their morning coffee, etc.

Incidentally, many people have some kind of obsession with what is called பிராஹ்ம முஹூர்த்தம் and, each one conveniently imagines (and asserts also) that this denotes some period of time between 3-30 A.M. (before sunrise) to sunrise. The upanyaasams and lectures by religious people also strengthen such (wrong) ideas.

Actually, according to our ancient astrnomy and the saastras, a day (sunrise to the next sunrise, that is, and not midnight to midnight) is divided into 30 muhoorthams. Since a day is roughly 24 hours, one muhoortham will be approximately 48 minutes, and this will also vary because according to our saastras the day is divided into 15 muhoorthams and night also into 15 muhoorthams separately. Since the duration of day time (பகல்) starts increasing from the month of சித்திரை (April-May) in the latitudes of south India, and goes on shrinking from the month of ஐப்பசி, the duration of night will be smaller during April - October and longer in the remaining period of a year. This duration of night has to be divided by 15 to arrive at the duration of one muhoortham and the last muhoortham of a day, i.e., the one which comes just before sunrise is named as "samudram" and the one preceding this samudram is the muhoortham named as brahma (and therefore called braahma muhoortham). Roughly this will be from 4-24 to 5-12 A.M.

Since the next (samudram) muhoortham is not considered inauspicious, possibly one can do pooja, japam, meditation, etc., from 4-24 A.M. onwards continuously into the morning till 6-00 A.M., or sunrise. The first and second muhoorthams of a day, named Rudra and Aahi are considered inauspicious.

Smt. Shivakami,

The best mantra which was given in "upadesam" to our brahmin women was "panchaaksharee" or "ஓம் நமச்சிவாய". Of course, I hope you are aware that it has to be spelt like Om namaSSivaaya (and not as Om namacchivaaya - though in Tamizh we can only write this way.) You may chant it in braahma muhoorta, or, if there is any urgent work on some day, in the morning hours. In the earlier days our women (including my grandmother and mother) used to observe மடி and also before taking even their morning coffee, etc.

Incidentally, many people have some kind of obsession with what is called பிராஹ்ம முஹூர்த்தம் and, each one conveniently imagines (and asserts also) that this denotes some period of time between 3-30 A.M. (before sunrise) to sunrise. The upanyaasams and lectures by religious people also strengthen such (wrong) ideas.

Actually, according to our ancient astrnomy and the saastras, a day (sunrise to the next sunrise, that is, and not midnight to midnight) is divided into 30 muhoorthams. Since a day is roughly 24 hours, one muhoortham will be approximately 48 minutes, and this will also vary because according to our saastras the day is divided into 15 muhoorthams and night also into 15 muhoorthams separately. Since the duration of day time (பகல்) starts increasing from the month of சித்திரை (April-May) in the latitudes of south India, and goes on shrinking from the month of ஐப்பசி, the duration of night will be smaller during April - October and longer in the remaining period of a year. This duration of night has to be divided by 15 to arrive at the duration of one muhoortham and the last muhoortham of a day, i.e., the one which comes just before sunrise is named as "samudram" and the one preceding this samudram is the muhoortham named as brahma (and therefore called braahma muhoortham). Roughly this will be from 4-24 to 5-12 A.M.

Since the next (samudram) muhoortham is not considered inauspicious, possibly one can do pooja, japam, meditation, etc., from 4-24 A.M. onwards continuously into the morning till 6-00 A.M., or sunrise. The first and second muhoorthams of a day, named Rudra and Aahi are considered inauspicious.
Thank you for your valuable words to me sir

Sri Shivagami

Sruti prescribes that stri should not chant veda mantras. Please go through the anugraha bhashana of Sringeri Bharati Thirtha Swami and Anugraha Bhashana of Sri Chandrasekhara saraswathi mahaperiyava in his upanyasams. more over you can find this in mahaperiyava's deivathin kural. I don't remember the volume number correctly. So what stri can recite if they are prohibited to chant veda mantras. Acharya gives upaya for this as well. Bhagavatpada has composed many wonderful stotras like soundaryalahari, lakshmi nrsimha karavalamba stotra, etc.,

More over to meditate please go to any mutt either sringeri mutt or kanchi kamakoti mutt ask the priest to initiate you on gauri panchakshari. Because in smarta sampradaya after gayatri a purusha is initiated on Shiva Panchakshari and women is initiated on gauri panchakshari. Moreover even if you are not getting any help on getting initiated on this mantra. The final refuge is Tharaka mantra RAMA nama. This mantra is immense powerful mantra. And the pramana for this would be bhagavan nama koumudi written by great Lakshmidharacharya. It is said that the moment when we pronounce this tharaka mantra lord gives moksha to the devotee and all the papas are burnt. Seeing this sri bhagavan nama bodhendraal chanted several crores times of this tharaka mantra. One more request please don't call me sir. I am not eligible for this title. there are many stalwarts of veda, vedanta and meemamsa sastras only they are eligible.

Sri Sangom Sir

As said earlier women are prohibited to chant the veda mantras. There might be question how Sri Maitreyi and other are women and they are mantra thristaas for vedic swaras. Acharya Sri Bharati thirtha gives answer for this as well. All those maitreyi and other women mantra thrastaas led their life as sanyasini and they realised the brahmam within them. So they were able to listen to the divine sabdas. But whereas women in this arena has to struggle a lot.

Thanks
C.R.Bala
Thanks
C.R.Bala
Om Namah Shivayah
Thank you a lot and I will try to follow your valuable words...Thanl you again for both of you:pray2:

Namaskarams,

If you are so interested, you can go to mahaan bhodhendral matam at govindapuram near Kumbakonam. There they initiate Rama Namam to the devotees. It can be a very fruitful towards salvation of life.

Anbudan
adiyen

Namaskarams,

If you are so interested, you can go to mahaan bhodhendral matam at govindapuram near Kumbakonam. There they initiate Rama Namam to the devotees. It can be a very fruitful towards salvation of life.

Anbudan
adiyen
Sir,If i go there ...how many days/hours I want to stay in matam for the process of initiation...I am residing in Coimbatore...Sir...

Sir,If i go there ...how many days/hours I want to stay in matam for the process of initiation...I am residing in Coimbatore...Sir..

Namaste Sri Shivagami

If you are in coimbatore then you can visit the rig/krishna yajurveda patasala in R.S.Puram where sri kanchi Kamakshi amman temple is located. So you can ask the head adhyapaka of that paatasala or a senior priest in the annapurna matha temple to initiate you on Sri Rama tharaka mantra.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Om Namah Shivayah

Sri Sacchidananda Shiva Abhinava Sri Nrsimha Bharti Thirtha Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara saraswathi mahaswami Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara bharati thirtha Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah

Sir,If i go there ...how many days/hours I want to stay in matam for the process of initiation...I am residing in Coimbatore...Sir..

Namaste Sri Shivagami

If you are in coimbatore then you can visit the rig/krishna yajurveda patasala in R.S.Puram where sri kanchi Kamakshi amman temple is located. So you can ask the head adhyapaka of that paatasala or a senior priest in the annapurna matha temple to initiate you on Sri Rama tharaka mantra.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

Om Namah Shivayah

Sri Sacchidananda Shiva Abhinava Sri Nrsimha Bharti Thirtha Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara saraswathi mahaswami Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah
Sri Chandrasekhara bharati thirtha Charanaaravindhabhyaam namah

I am thanking god for getting such a valuable guidance
om sai sri sai jai jai sai
om sai sri sai jai jai sai

Om Namah Shivaya
Om Namah Shivaya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back