• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vedic sandhi: ḥ-s or ss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the sandhi in the Vedas and Aranyakas which of the following is more correct (i.e. ḥ s or ss):

रुद्रः सन्महो
rudraḥ sanmaho

रुद्रस्सन्महो
rudrassanmaho

This example is from the Mahanarayana Upanishad section 24 (Taittiriya Aranyaka 10.24.1).

I've noticed that some books use the 1st format (Taittiriya-Aranyaka Edited by Subramania Sarma, Chennai) while others use the second (Mantra Pushpam by the Ramakrishna Math, Taittiriya Mantra Koshah by Ramakrishna Math). Do you know which is more correct according to Vedic sandhi?

Also where is a site where one can ask the learned in these sorts of areas in a more private way i.e. without having to start an open thread? (I noticed that to prevent spam tamilbrahmins doesn't let people with few posts send private messages).

With many thanks.

It looks like your first choice is used in Kurma-Purana, Part 2 Kurma Purana Part 2
rudrāḥ sanātanāḥ

Here is the exact couplet.

hūrbhuvaḥ svastvamoṅkāraḥ sarve rudrāḥ sanātanāḥ /
puruṣaḥ sanmaho 'tastvāṃ praṇamāmi kapardinam // KūrmP_2,18.36 //

Sri vikramaji may be able to answer your question - He posts in this thread
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/vedic-hyms/12632-layman-reads-rig-veda.html

A link to general Sandhi rules was provided earlier by Dr. Renukaji
http://www.arshakulam.org/pdf/sanskrit/sandhihandbook.pdf

For the sandhi in the Vedas and Aranyakas which of the following is more correct (i.e. ḥ s or ss):

रुद्रः सन्महो
rudraḥ sanmaho

रुद्रस्सन्महो
rudrassanmaho

This example is from the Mahanarayana Upanishad section 24 (Taittiriya Aranyaka 10.24.1).

I've noticed that some books use the 1st format (Taittiriya-Aranyaka Edited by Subramania Sarma, Chennai) while others use the second (Mantra Pushpam by the Ramakrishna Math, Taittiriya Mantra Koshah by Ramakrishna Math). Do you know which is more correct according to Vedic sandhi?

Also where is a site where one can ask the learned in these sorts of areas in a more private way i.e. without having to start an open thread? (I noticed that to prevent spam tamilbrahmins doesn't let people with few posts send private messages).

With many thanks.

AFAIK, writing either way (रुद्रः सन्महो or as रुद्रस्सन्महो) is correct. According to Sanskrit rules the consonant following the visarga (ḥ) is duplicated or emphasized in order to show the presence of the visarga. For example,

धृष्टकेतुः चेकितानः काशिराजः च वीर्यवान् in the Bhagavadgita will be actually pronounced as
धृष्टकेतुश्चेकितानक्काशिराजश्च वीर्यवान्|

तुः + चे will become श्चे; similarly जः + च will become श्च; the doubling is not there in these cases but the sound of श् comes in.

More info may be had by googling for 'visarga sandhi in sanskrit'. One useful url is here:

Visarga Sandhi | Learn Sanskrit Online

Thank you for the replies.

In short Sangom is right, they are both correct, one is South Indian.

I found the answer here at another place (seems tamilbrahmins won't let me post links):

They're both correct. Says Whitney in his Sanskrit Grammar (pp. 58-9):
"Before an initial sibilant -- ç, ṣ, s -- s is either assimilated, becoming the same sibilant, or it is changed into visarga. The native grammarians are in some measure at variance as to which of these changes should be made, and in part they allow either at pleasure. The usage of the manuscripts is also discordant; the conversion to visarga is the prevalent practice, though the sibilant is also not infrequently found written, especially in South-Indian manuscripts. European editors generally write visarga."

TKR

PS. Apologies for the delay, there was somethign wrong with my email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back