• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Doctorate before a degree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing passion in Physics...I think if we allow our children to pursue their passion it will lead to more Rohit's..3 idiots becoming a reality?

He has arrears in engineering, PhD. in physics - The Hindu

A student of Anna University has earned a doctorate from a foreign university even before completing his graduation.

Rohit Gunturi, a final-year B.E. student of electronics and communication engineering (ECE) at College of Engineering, Guindy, has been awarded a PhD. by the University of California, Berkeley, eight months before he graduates, for his outstanding research in physics.

Rohit worked on the inner structure of the electron and carried out most of his work on sub-atomic particles of electrons in high-energy physics laboratories at Thumba in Kerala.

“I never wanted to do engineering. I had always wanted to pursue physics, but my father said only a degree in engineering would ensure a good career. So, , I chose a stream like ECE, which has the most physics,” he said.
When he failed in two subjects in the first-year examinations, Rohit went back to physics. “Since Anna University did not have facilities for high-quality research, I approached other institutions. I spent hours reading about advancements in physics and the work of scientists such as Neils Bohr,” he said.

“I cleared the arrears but failed in more subjects in subsequent years. Clearing university exams needed preparation with frequently-asked questions. I never had the time or inclination to do that because of my interest and involvement in physics research,” he said.

Encouraged by his professors at the University, Rohit started publishing research papers and attending conferences. “My greatest worry was losing out on attendance in college. Every morning, I would sit and calculate the number of days of attendance I needed to get the mandatory 75 per cent attendance,” he said. Rohit published his first paper in the International Journal of Science and Engineering Research in 2012, and his subsequent eight papers were published by the Journal of Physics.

After presenting papers at conferences in Amsterdam and Berkeley, a professor of UC, Berkeley, met him in Amsterdam and expressed interest in his work.

“Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian,” said Rohit. He now plans to accept the offer made by the University to pursue integrated PhD. in particle physics.

“I have a job offer from Accenture too. But physics is my first love. I cannot imagine doing anything else.”

I was surprised with this sentence in the news story, "He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me." Nobody can simply confer a Ph.D. however a great genius he or she may be. It turns out Te Hindu reporter was punked. It is now confirmed, it is fake, "Prof. Wick Haxton of U. C. Berkeley denies this news and has declared this to be completely false and crazy. Too bad Hindu's reporter didn't confirm the content before publishing it."

I give below a comment posted on Facebook by Badri Seshadri:

Talked to Vasudha Venugopal just now. It appears that VC of Anna University was the one who called her with the story and she went ahead with the story. She will follow up and do a retraction and will also talk to UC Berkeley Prof. More than the story appearing in a magazine, I am appalled by Anna University's standards in believing this nonsense. It is a shame on Indian academia more than that in journalism.

It is amazing that this Vasudha Venugopal didn't bother to check with the UC Berkeley professor before running the story. What were the editors thinking? The Hindu has more problems to sort out than be seen as anti-Hindu.

For more click here: https://www.facebook.com/manivannan.m.mani/posts/10202341990614654

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised with this sentence in the news story, "He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me." Nobody can simply confer a Ph.D. however a great genius he or she may be. It turns out Te Hindu reporter was punked. It is now confirmed, it is fake, "Prof. Wick Haxton of U. C. Berkeley denies this news and has declared this to be completely false and crazy. Too bad Hindu's reporter didn't confirm the content before publishing it."

I give below a comment posted on Facebook by Badri Seshadri:

Talked to Vasudha Venugopal just now. It appears that VC of Anna University was the one who called her with the story and she went ahead with the story. She will follow up and do a retraction and will also talk to UC Berkeley Prof. More than the story appearing in a magazine, I am appalled by Anna University's standards in believing this nonsense. It is a shame on Indian academia more than that in journalism.

It is amazing that this Vasudha Venugopal didn't bother to check with the UC Berkeley professor before running the story. What were the editors thinking? The Hindu has more problems to sort out than be seen as anti-Hindu.

For more click here: https://www.facebook.com/manivannan.m.mani/posts/10202341990614654
Thanks for the alert.

I checked the Hindu Column again and a number of replies have sprung up, each declaring the news to be false. There is also a link, which is to be read to be believed https://docs.google.com/document/d/148zwzQbZn6ytFwW0bn98CE9UAvYPNKHQNIgkULxnWKE/edit?pli=1#

Now I dont know what to believe... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back