• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Masikam and Sodakumbam rituals

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father passed away on the 13th August, 2013. the 27th day Oonam is to be performed on 8th September with the Sodakumbam and masikam scheduled for 10th and 11th September. I am interested in knowing the following: (a) significance of each of the rituals, (b) procedures to be followed as per the conventional method (unadulterated), (c) what are the dhanams generally associated with the rituals, (d) what kind of cooking is prepared on the said days. Thanks.

My father passed away on the 13th August, 2013. the 27th day Oonam is to be performed on 8th September with the Sodakumbam and masikam scheduled for 10th and 11th September. I am interested in knowing the following: (a) significance of each of the rituals, (b) procedures to be followed as per the conventional method (unadulterated), (c) what are the dhanams generally associated with the rituals, (d) what kind of cooking is prepared on the said days. Thanks.

a) significance of each of the rituals:

"oonam" is actually short form of 'oona maasikam'. oonam is a method by which the defects in performing the maasikams, if any, are atoned. maasikams are periodical offerings of food and drink to the departed soul during its first day in the other world, where one day is as long as one earth year. We perform 12 maasikams thus making it a two-hourly offering of food and drink. Why so? Because the belief is that the soul takes time to get rid of its earthly habits and it feels hunger & thirst very often during this first day.

sodakumbham is actually "sodakakumbham" which has get shortened in common talk. We believe that the departed soul will be examined by a panel of superhuman entities to judge whether it is eligible to be admitted into the pitruloka or not, at the time of the "sapindeekaranam" during the aabdeekam. By this sodakumbham we are trying to make these superhuman judges to recognize that the dead person's son/s etc., are all "sraddhaalus" and we desire pitruloka admission to the departed soul, not withstanding any minus points which that person may be having.

b) procedures to be followed as per the conventional method (unadulterated) :

Both maasikam and oonamaasikam are to be done like miniature sraaddha, but the homam is nowadays very rarely done. The brahmanas are given usual meals as in the sraaddha and then dakshina also. In sodakumbham each of the brahmanas is to be given a silver pot filled with water, a glass or lotta made of silver and an uddharani. Silver has become very costly and so brass, copper or bronze pots, and tumblers of brass/bronze and uddharanis of copper are given by people who, like yourself, want to do it in the unadulterated way; but many vaadhyars prefer stainless steel items and many people accede to their requests, but this is an "adhama" or very low method as per shaastras. Veshti & angavastram, of cotton, is also to be offered to each in addition to Dakshina (cash).The Karta and his wife together have to wash the feet of each of the sodakumbha brahmanas and offer the usual sraaddha meals.

c) what are the dhanams generally associated with the rituals :

Usually no other daanams are to be given except as stated above. But I understand that in some places the daanams prescribed at the time of aabdeekam are taken by distributing them in the sodakumbhams. If your vaadhyaar does so, it is better not to argue and create any unpleasant situation.

d) what kind of cooking is prepared on the said days :

What is prepared may vary today. But what is to be prepared in the unadulterated method is for the family members and other brahmana men and women, should prepare each and every item as "madi chamayal" (cooked in ritual purity). No item should be prepared on the previous day and kept, etc. In our times we used to get up at about 4.00 A.M., take bath after morning routines and change to "madi clothes" which was the normal daily practice anyway. By about 5.00 A.M. we will start the preparation. Menfolk used to do items like shredding coconuts, cutting vegetables, making dough for vadai in the aaTTukkal and so on and the womenfolk used to manage the rest.

Each family has a set of "must" items and "no" items for Sraaddha food, and we should follow this as per advice of elderly lady members of the family.

Masikar and Sodakumbam rituals

a) significance of each of the rituals:

"oonam" is actually short form of 'oona maasikam'. oonam is a method by which the defects in performing the maasikams, if any, are atoned. maasikams are periodical offerings of food and drink to the departed soul during its first day in the other world, where one day is as long as one earth year. We perform 12 maasikams thus making it a two-hourly offering of food and drink. Why so? Because the belief is that the soul takes time to get rid of its earthly habits and it feels hunger & thirst very often during this first day.

sodakumbham is actually "sodakakumbham" which has get shortened in common talk. We believe that the departed soul will be examined by a panel of superhuman entities to judge whether it is eligible to be admitted into the pitruloka or not, at the time of the "sapindeekaranam" during the aabdeekam. By this sodakumbham we are trying to make these superhuman judges to recognize that the dead person's son/s etc., are all "sraddhaalus" and we desire pitruloka admission to the departed soul, not withstanding any minus points which that person may be having.

b) procedures to be followed as per the conventional method (unadulterated) :

Both maasikam and oonamaasikam are to be done like miniature sraaddha, but the homam is nowadays very rarely done. The brahmanas are given usual meals as in the sraaddha and then dakshina also. In sodakumbham each of the brahmanas is to be given a silver pot filled with water, a glass or lotta made of silver and an uddharani. Silver has become very costly and so brass, copper or bronze pots, and tumblers of brass/bronze and uddharanis of copper are given by people who, like yourself, want to do it in the unadulterated way; but many vaadhyars prefer stainless steel items and many people accede to their requests, but this is an "adhama" or very low method as per shaastras. Veshti & angavastram, of cotton, is also to be offered to each in addition to Dakshina (cash).The Karta and his wife together have to wash the feet of each of the sodakumbha brahmanas and offer the usual sraaddha meals.

c) what are the dhanams generally associated with the rituals :

Usually no other daanams are to be given except as stated above. But I understand that in some places the daanams prescribed at the time of aabdeekam are taken by distributing them in the sodakumbhams. If your vaadhyaar does so, it is better not to argue and create any unpleasant situation.

d) what kind of cooking is prepared on the said days :

What is prepared may vary today. But what is to be prepared in the unadulterated method is for the family members and other brahmana men and women, should prepare each and every item as "madi chamayal" (cooked in ritual purity). No item should be prepared on the previous day and kept, etc. In our times we used to get up at about 4.00 A.M., take bath after morning routines and change to "madi clothes" which was the normal daily practice anyway. By about 5.00 A.M. we will start the preparation. Menfolk used to do items like shredding coconuts, cutting vegetables, making dough for vadai in the aaTTukkal and so on and the womenfolk used to manage the rest.

Each family has a set of "must" items and "no" items for Sraaddha food, and we should follow this as per advice of elderly lady members of the family.[/QUOTE Many thanks for the detailed explanation of the rituals, significance and the background information. This explanation is really appreciated, full credit to the website, Tami brahmins. I could not make out the name of the contributor, therefore, please convey my sincere thanks. I hope to be of some use to the others some day. regards.

Dear Sangom, thanks very much for excellent insight provided. I really appreciate the detailed explanation. as this has been helpful to me in taking decisions and in understanding the background information, I am sure it has been as informative to the other existing members. regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back