• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Lest we forget - M M Dandapani Desikar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

Isai Arasu M M Dandapani Desikar (1908-1972)

Other day when I heard an young singer rendering "Jaga janani sukapani Kalyani" “ஜகஜ்ஜனனி சுகபாணி கல்யாணி” in raga "rathipathipriya"in TV, I was reminded of a great Musician of my time M M Dandapani Desikar who set this lyric to music in a rare rage "rathipathi priya" . I am not sure the song is written by him or Ganam Krishnaiyer as claimed by some. But it was Desikar who gave this beautiful song to the public listening set in an enchanting raga.

Dandapani Desikar had an excellent baritone voice which he could manipulate freely at his will. He was born in the holy town of Tiruchengattangudi (near Nannilam) famous for Siruthondar and Vatapi Ganapathi. His father Madurai Muthaiah Desikar was an Odhuvaar of repute.

A detailed biography is posted in the following website:
Royal Carpet Carnatic Composers: M.M. DanDapaNi DEshikar

M M Dandapani Desikar has acted in a few movies, the famous one was Nandanar, in which he has rendered Gopalakrishna Bharati's songs. He has also recorded a number of Tevarams. He has also served as Principal of Music College in Annamalai University.

Just listen to his rendering of the song "Jagajanani" with such melodious ease:

0039. MMD-Jagajjanani-Ratipatipriya.mp3. MMD-

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back