Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now Reservations in Sport !!!

0 Not allowed!
    Saw this on another forum. Shamelessly cutting and pasting it.

This is where we are going. The day is not far off when we will have reservations even for public utilities. IMHO, those who think this will not happen are living in utopia.

Link: http://cities.expressindia.com/fulls...?newsid=188816

Now, govt plans quota in sports
    -------------------------------

Minister calls meeting to discuss quota issue; sports lobby up in arms
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wajiha Shah

Lucknow, June 19: The reservation quagmire looks set to haunt Uttar Pradesh again. At risk this time is the state’s sports fraternity, as the Mulayam Singh Yadav government plans to introduce quota in sports, though the modalities are yet to be worked out.

On Monday, communiqués from the UP Sports Directorate invited regional sports officers, sports officers and state’s Olympians for a meeting at KD Singh ‘Babu’ Stadium here on June 26. The meeting is organised at the behest of sports minister R K Chaudhary.

Advertisement
    The agenda — inviting suggestions on “how sports can be developed in the state” — looks innocuous enough, but for the rider. Here’s the last line from the letter: “Khiladion ke arakshan par bhi vichar kiya ja sakta hai (quota for sportspersons will/may also be discussed).”

Insiders, however, caught it plain and simple: the main purpose is to discuss the reservation issue; the rest is mere formality.

Even the state’s Sports minister, R K Chaudhary, admitted as much: “I had asked the Principal Secretary, Sports (UP), to study the reservation policy once implemented during the Mayawati government, and the current reservation policy of the UPA government. I asked him to give me the details of both.

“Now I have got the pros and cons and we are going to discuss this at the meeting.”

On meeting’s menu
    “I have invited two Regional Sports Officers each from Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe and general category,” Chaudhary said. Besides, the meeting will include two sports officers each “from SC/ST, Backward castes and general category.

“Invitations have been sent to national-level players also, for we intend to take all feedback before reaching a conclusion.”

Elaborating further, the minister said: “This meeting will discuss whether reservation should be implemented in sports. If they all agree, then we will decide about the stage of trials it should be introduced in for admission at sports hostels and colleges.”

Chaudhary, known for his pro-reservation stance, added that the percentage of reserved seats “could vary in accordance with the consensus. We will not necessarily follow the same percentage as in other institutes.”

Game not on: Sports lobby
    Padmashree Jaman Lal Sharma, who has been invited in the meeting: “There is no need for quota in sports because most players in any case come from the backward sections. Also, how can you compromise with merit during selection trials?”
    Anandeshwar Pandey, general secretary of UP Olympic Association: “Where is the need for reservation in sports when 70-80 per cent of players selected for admission to sports hostels and state teams belong to backward categories? Besides, they are able to reach (that level) on their own.
    We will oppose any move to introduce reservation in sports.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Good one, Ramki. Read the following note from Mr. Premji, Chairman, Wipro (I am sure, with tongue-in-cheek!!!!!!!)

Wipro chairman Mr. Ajim prem ji's comment on reservation:

I think we should have job reservations in all the fields. I completely support the PM and all the politicians for promoting this. Let's start the reservation with our cricket team. We should have 10 percent reservation for muslims. 30 percent for OBC, SC/ST like that. Cricket rules should be modified accordingly. The boundary circle should be reduced for an SC/ST player. The four hit by an OBC player should be considered as a six and a six hit by a OBC player should be counted as 8 runs. An OBC player scoring 60 runs should be declared as a century.
    We should influence ICC and make rules so that the pace bowlers like Shoaib Akhtar should not bowl fast balls to our OBC player. Bowlers should bowl maximum speed of 80 kilometer per hour to an OBC player. Any delivery above this speed should be made illegal.
    Also we should have reservation in Olympics. In the 100 meters race, an OBC player should be given a gold medal if he runs 80 meters.
    There can be reservation in Government jobs also. Let's recruit SC/ST and OBC pilots for aircrafts which are carrying the ministers and politicians (that can really help the country.. )
    Ensure that only SC/ST and OBC doctors do the operations for the ministers and other politicians. (Another way of saving the country..)
    Let's be creative and think of ways and means to guide INDIA forward... Let's show the world that INDIA is a GREAT country. Let's be proud of being an INDIAN..
    May the good breed of politicans like ARJUN SINGH long live...
    SILVER FOX
    "செந்தமிழ் நாடெனும் போதினிலே -இன்பத் தேன்வந்து பாயுது காதினிலே"
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    hai all,
    it 's gud one!probably to add on swimming half way by reservation seekers can be given a gold medal too! sounds funny but can work out if they are too obese to swim!
    thnk u
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Fantastic reply by Premji

Thanks Silverfox
    Contact - Guidelines

Since i do not read all the posts, if you need to bring something to my attention report the post or send me a message with the link.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Praveen, I presume you are aware of the rental ad in this site
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by subalaji
    Praveen, I presume you are aware of the rental ad in this site
    i assume u refer to the For rent in Chennai ad?

yes, i am aware of it.
    Contact - Guidelines

Since i do not read all the posts, if you need to bring something to my attention report the post or send me a message with the link.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    it seems we may soon have reservations even in temples in tamilnadu sc archakas, bc archakas, women archakas and who knows even atheist archakas, muslim archakas, christian archakas etc. long live arjun-karunanidhi combines fame. if these archakas commit mistakes which i am sure they will, then nobody will have the courage to questionthem. they will formunions, associations and join together as pressure groups. even butchers, anti socials, may becom archakas.where as the present brahmin archakas have no quotas , these new breed of 'quota' archakas may enjoy all reservational benefits whilst being archakas at the same time. god alone can save this country from the likes of karunanidhai, arjun
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    A kind-hearted journo by the name Francois Gautier, is doing an exhibition in Delhi on Brahmins and their plight, having already made a movie on the same subject.

Mr.Francois also authored the now famous two articles in rediff,about brahmins.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/may/23franc.htm

http://ia.rediff.com/news/2006/jun/15franc.htm

His associate Rahul in Delhi wanted some information on the condition of Brahmins in south India (see attached email), for the exhibition.

It will be great if some of you, who might have great knowledge on this, pass on some information to this person Rahul Gautam at rahul.gautam@flextronicssoftware.com,

Or also help him in other ways. Or atleast put him in touch with the correct persons to contact in Tamil Nadu.

It is very rare that someone ever speaks for brahmins, let alone make an exhibition and movie about them. And this person was a french national by birth!

A few copies of his movie are on their way to me, and I shall post it on the internet for our view. Meanwhile, it will be great if any of you can provide him the info he needs.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    A Novel way of attacking the reservation problems. Give the child both the formal - English model and our vedic way of education. Train them on a vocation which they can take up. They need not be always trained to be in service rather can be trained to be in vocation and business.

================================================== =========
    Mumbai: In an age where microchips and megabucks make the man, corporate caliphs are turning to ancient wisdom to navigate the future. Enter the urban gurukul, where the Upanishads replace Gatesian philosophy, and serenity and “pure knowledge’’ edge out competitive classroom curricula.
    The Gurukulam at Girgaum and Gurukul Vidyapeeth at Ulhasnagar are two traditional cradles of learning, drawing youngsters from both upscale Malabar Hill and middle-class Ulhasnagar.
    Thrishla Kothari (13) typifies this trend. Daughter of an exporter, Kothari opted out of Cumballa Hill High School to join The Gurukulam a year ago. “Unit tests and semesters used to stress me out,’’ recalls this A-grader, who learns Bharat Natyam and pores over the Vedas, while her friends hang out at malls and multiplexes.
    Founded by a group of diamond traders six years ago, The Gurukulam has 85 students on its rolls. Here, students are taught Vedic mathematics, geography, history and astronomy, according to ancient Indian scriptures with Sanskrit as the medium of instruction. Also, the Vedas, Upanishads and ancient languages such as Praakrit and Ardhamagadhi are at the core of the teachings while English is t a u g h t “ t o h e l p communicate in the global world’.’
    But are these schools recognised by the government? “ No. Instead, we don’t recognise the government’s system,’’ says Anil Shah, seated in his office at Panchratna building, the hub of the diamond trade at Opera House. Shah and other like-minded friends started The Gurukulam because they were “ fed up with the formal education system.’’ And his philosophy is finding acceptance among a growing group of people. With only three students when it opened, The Gurukulal had 50 students on its rolls two years ago. The number rose to 85 last year, even as the institution plans to expand to accommodate more.
    “Schools today do not stress ethics and moral values and children graduate without any knowledge of their roots, their heritage or their culture,’’ adds Shah, who has enrolled all three of his children in The Gurkulam.
    Acharya Umesh Bhardwaj, kulapati (principal) of the Gurukul Vidyapeeth at Ulhasnagar, couldn’t agree more. “ At our gurukul, children learn ancient Indian culture as well as science and maths, which formal education recognises. “ You can become a lawyer, engineer or doctor but a true human being emerges only through such an ed ucation,’’ Bharadwaj explains.
    Puja Rochlani nods vigorously. She says her son had turned into a veritable couch potato and “mindlessly watched television’’ . That’s when she heard about the Gurukul Vidyapeeth. “ We wanted him to grow up respect elders and humanity,’’ Puja explains. So she got her son, otherwise “ a good student’’ from a convent school, admitted to the Gurukul Vidya peeth two years ago.
    Today, her son wakes up at 4 am and recites from the Bhagvad Geeta with ease. He visits home in his new uniform—dhoti and shawl—and chats with the neighbour’s kids, oblivious to his unconventional appearance.
    Dismissing the notion that children who graduate from gurukuls could lack the competitive edge, Shah says, “ There’s no question of coping, they will sail through smoothly. As they grow up, they learn business practices at home and can even be self-employed.’’
    What about students who aspire for a college degree and a “ regular job’’? This was what the Sanghvis feared when they took their seven-year-old son from New Activity School in Peddar Road to The Gurukulam.“ My husband is an engineer and he was worried,’’ confesses Pinky.
    But the Sanghvis were convinced by Shah, who said that their son could always take the board exams privately. Bharadwaj is a little more sceptical of “formal education’’ and says his wards would not choose certain careers anyway. “MBAs are taught to create desires and stress on spending power. My children will never subscribe to this even if they become businessmen,’’ he says.
    Clearly, there is a growing niche of people who share Bharadwaj’s views as he plans to open a bigger residential gurukul in Murbad, Thane.
    Since neither of the two gurukuls has a single “ graduate’’, the world is still to pit itself against the wisdom of our forefathers.

================================================== =========
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    I must suggest that educated house wives of our community must contibute as voluntary training person for schools and tuition classes. Community could contribute for the infrastructure.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast