• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Direction of God's Photo in Pooja Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very Good Morning to all you!!!!

Pls clarify my doubt, rather my confusion created ......

At home, in the puja room, where should God's photo be placed - in east facing west or otherwise.

Kolu - should it be arranged in east facing west???

this confusion newly arised since there a temple close to my house where the main temple deity- Lord Shiva in kept in west facing east.....

Thanks
Lakshmi Iyer

Dear Lakshmi,

Usually the photos of Gods will face East and most of the pooja rooms are also built to face East.

I have seen kolu in my friends' houses facing either East or North. Hope this helps. :)

Raji

Dear Lakshmi,

Usually the photos of Gods will face East and most of the pooja rooms are also built to face East.

I have seen kolu in my friends' houses facing either East or North. Hope this helps. :)

Raji

I do not know about kolu. But I know for certain that photos of the Gods will face West or South. We are to face East or North while doing pooja or reciting slokams etc. and we would be sitting facing the God's picture or sitting in a side on position so as not to turn our back to the pictures of the Gods. So necessarily God's photos should be facing West or South only.

I do not know about kolu. But I know for certain that photos of the Gods will face West or South. We are to face East or North while doing pooja or reciting slokams etc. and we would be sitting facing the God's picture or sitting in a side on position so as not to turn our back to the pictures of the Gods. So necessarily God's photos should be facing West or South only.

According to the practice followed in many tabra homes, I have found that the photos/images/idols of gods to be worshipped will face the East and if, somehow, this is impractical, these should be kept facing the North. The worshipper/person doing pooja, should sit facing north and east respectively in the above two cases.

South direction is avoided because it is the direction of "death" or "Yama". If the idols are kept facing the west, the person worshipping has to sit directly facing the idols; this is not considered appropriate. The other alternative, of the person facing north will make it inconvenient for right-handed persons to do pooja as per customs. Left-handed pooja is also not sanctioned by the saastras.

Dear Narayan Sir,

God's photos usually don't face the South in Pooja rooms. They can face West if it can not be avoided. When God's photo

faces East, the performer of pooja sits facing God, if he does not have a group to participate in the pooja. If there is a group,

people sit facing the God and the performer sits facing the North so that it will be easy to offer flowers etc to God with his

right hand and also he will not show his back to the group! If God faces West and a group watches the Pooja, the performer

may have to show his back to the group since he can not do the pooja facing South and facing North will make it difficult for

him to offer flowers with his right hand. (You may please try it out!!). And we don't do namaskAram to South on good occasions.

I hope you know what I mean! :)

Thanks All of you.
But again there is a mixed opinion,
Please clarify.....
Two answers depending on your faith.
If you believe in all pervading God, then God is everywhere. So no direction is without God, all directions are God's direction. (That is philosophy).

Or follow Rajiji suggestion.

Dakshinamoorty is the only Idol that will face South (and of course Navagraha).

Thank you so much for the reply!!!!
So going by
Rajiji suggestion.

If God's Photo is ieast facing , we should sit in west, facing God to do Puja???.

Two answers depending on your faith.
If you believe in all pervading God, then God is everywhere. So no direction is without God, all directions are God's direction. (That is philosophy).

Or follow Rajiji suggestion.

Dakshinamoorty is the only Idol that will face South (and of course Navagraha).

Dear Lakshmi Ji,

I fully agree with what Prasad Ji wrote.

Just to add..when we ask a question..answers are just to guide us..the final decision is our own.

Even a Guru only removes darkness for us to find the answers on our own.

So do not worry too much..God is in every direction.

In fact after my trip back from India few days ago... after witnessing certain incidents I feel that most of us neglect the most important direction of God..that is inside(within) us.

As long as we know God is inside us that should suffice.

So going by that I feel Prasad ji has answered your query well.

Dear Renu,

The direction is NOT for Gods; it is for us humans.

We do not prostrate to South on good occasions.

So, God's pictures have to be kept facing East as much as possible (like in Temples)

or West so that we can prostrate to West and East directions respectively. But if God's

picture faces North, then we prostrate to East (i.e) sideways, to avoid South! :)

Dear Renu,

So, God's pictures have to be kept facing East as much as possible (like in Temples)

or West so that we can prostrate to West and East directions respectively. But if God's

picture faces North, then we prostrate to East (i.e) sideways, to avoid South! :)

Dear RR ji,

Lots of my perception has changed after my trip to India.

As I said..we Hindus tend to neglect the most important direction of all..the "Inward Direction" and also the direction to know that God is in us and everyone.

I don't really believe anymore in any direction (not that I believed in it before)..every direction is relatively speaking..as long the mind is focused on God that is the best direction..Ekagratha.

Trips to India can be a bit "disturbing"....it makes you feel that God is like Marijuana to the people.

All get high on prayers and it just stops there.

I feel if one hangs around too long in India...one might even become an agnostic or an atheist.

Last edited:
Dear Lakshmi Ji,

I fully agree with what Prasad Ji wrote.

Just to add..when we ask a question..answers are just to guide us..the final decision is our own.

Even a Guru only removes darkness for us to find the answers on our own.

So do not worry too much..God is in every direction.

In fact after my trip back from India few days ago... after witnessing certain incidents I feel that most of us neglect the most important direction of God..that is inside(within) us.

As long as we know God is inside us that should suffice.

So going by that I feel Prasad ji has answered your query well.

Dear Renuka madam,

Can you put down in detail here your experiences in India when you visited here.
we would like to know the view from the other side about ourselves. Thank you. You can make it in two or three posts if it is going to be voluminous.

.......... Trips to India can be a bit "disturbing"....it makes you feel that God is like Marijuana to the people.

All get high on prayers and it just stops there. ........ .
Dear Renu,

Not only the prayers. Even some bhajans make the listeners go crazy!

Have a look at this video clipping. ( I avoid attending such programs.. Those who like, please don't take this as offense. )

Vittal Das Maharaj bhajan- Rangamma

Realizing God within us NOT easy, Renu! That is why we need at least a picture of our ishta DEvta to concentrate.

Last edited:
Dear Renuka madam,

Can you put down in detail here your experiences in India when you visited here.
we would like to know the view from the other side about ourselves. Thank you. You can make it in two or three posts if it is going to be voluminous.

Dear Vaagmi Ji,

Firstly my nice experiences:

1)Chennai Express was just great!
Loved every bit of it...especially 1 2 3 4 Get on the Dance Floor song!
Priyamani is hot!
SRK is King Khan!

2)Secondly one little boy aged 1 1/2 years took an instant liking to me at the immigration counter when boarding flight back to Msia.
Then the child was actually seated adjacent to me(his parents were from India..working in Msia)..so through out the journey the child wanted to play with me and even wanted to sit on my lap..so I was busy baby sitting the child too.

Child's mother told me that her son started smiling and become happy upon seeing me at the immigration counter.
Child was very cute...looked like a baby Krishna dressed up with anklets,chains and ear rings!

3)Thayir Sadam at the hotel I stayed tasted good.

4)Got some nice Sanskrit links which I will share with others later.

5)Somehow birds were flying into me..first one crow flew right into my head!
Then one sparrow flew into my head a bit later!

6)Doddamallur Aprameya Swami Temple was nice.

First time seeing a modern Vaishnava Agraharam.

Bought some stuff from Abhinav Iyengar Bakery and suddenly I thought of you! Really I am not kidding..I was thinking "Vaagmi is an Iyengar..wonder if his relative is running this bakery here"

Ok now coming to the not so nice experiences..well you have to wait for the next episode..till then enjoy this song.

[video=youtube_share;QggsVF0DvDU]http://youtu.be/QggsVF0DvDU[/video]

Last edited:
....Realizing God within us NOT easy, Renu! .
So true Mrs. RR, that is because there is nothing there!!!!

I apologize for the cheap shot, just couldn't resist ... please continue your discussion.....

Dear Renu,

Not only the prayers. Even some bhajans make the listeners go crazy!

Have a look at this video clipping. ( I avoid attending such programs.. Those who like, please don't take this as offense. )

Vittal Das Maharaj bhajan- Rangamma

Realizing God within us NOT easy, Renu! That is why we need at least a picture of our ishta DEvta to concentrate.

Dear RR ji,

I was not talking about Bhakti Bhava feeling.

I was talking about the Marijuana effect..it makes us feel high and stops right there.

The true nature never undergoes any transformation after the effect of Marijuana is over.

God seems to be like Marijuana for some people..they get high with the concept but no transformation in anyway...if this is going to be the outcome it is better if someone is a rank atheist and a good person instead of even trying to actually pray and remain "not transformed"...more later.

Last edited:
If I am correct, according to Vasthu, the Puja room has to face east
only. Besides either it has to be on the North East facing east or in the
South West facing east. As far as Kolu is concerned, it can be either
facing east or north. But generally not on other directions.

It is also mentioned that while constructing a house, one has to
be watchful to have adequate ventilation in the North-East direction
of the structure. Further, it is also advised that one should not have
a toilet on the North east. Preferably, the north-east corner has to
be kept clean.

Balasubramanian

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

Raji ji,

Suppose you are doing pooja standing on the North Pole and then you do a namaskaram / prostration. Which direction would you be facing?

Dear Biswa Sir,

I was expecting this Q (from you!?). I won't go to the North pole to do any poojA. :nono:

If some one else goes to do poojA, they can opt to fix the God's picture on the ceiling and

do namaskaram lying on the floor facing the God so as to face the North. :cool:

images

Picture courtesy: Google images.

Raji ji,

Suppose you are doing pooja standing on the North Pole and then you do a namaskaram / prostration. Which direction would you be facing?

There are certain situations where time and direction does not apply like orbiting in space for example..so that is why we are told to look inward at the Antaryami..that direction can never go out of fashion.

Namaskaram - lakshmi madam

God photos and ideals should be east facing and always prefer not to use south facing and for gollu also it should be east facing.

Regards
prasanna

Dear Mrs Laksmi,
East facing west is the age-old practice, followed by all Brahmins ,in their Pooja rooms
Pillayar to be kept facing West. Durga Goddess to be kept facing North. No God[s picture to be kept facing South.
Mrs Janaki/ Wife of Rishikesan for this Forum.

There are certain situations where time and direction does not apply like orbiting in space for example..so that is why we are told to look inward at the Antaryami..that direction can never go out of fashion.

Directions (NEWS) have no relevance. If you place god's photo facing east, in your Chennai home, the line of direction will stretch all around the (almost round) globe and reach back from the west. Similarly, for north-facing photos/idols, the "drishti" of the god will stretch, pass through the north pole, again the south pole and come back from the south.

The sanctity of directions, the four cardinal points & the four intermediate points, etc., were notions started when the world believed in a flat earth, surrounded by the "dyaus" or sky. These may not have any great relevance now.

This morning also, I had an interaction with a Josier who is an expert
in Vaastu aspects. He is very clear in his mind that Pooja Room is
kept in a house to seek peace and prosperity. He emphasizes that
north-east or ishanya place is more ideal and an excellent location.
Further, he emphasizes that north east brings prosperity, good health
and wealth, etc to the owner of the house besides peace of mind.
Hence, it is an auspicious place. Above all, he has a point to stress
that sunrays in the morning will directly fall from north east and that would
produce positive energy. He made it clear that location of puja room
in the kitchen could be avoided. Further, it should not be near toilet or
bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back