• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is God Omnipresent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
signpost.jpg

Once a saint, to test his disciples to find out if they are conscious of God’s presence everywhere, called a few of them, gave them a mango each and asked them to eat it in a place where nobody could see them. They all went with their mangoes and, except one, returned and reported that none saw them eating the mangoes. But the disciple who was an exception came back with the mango and told the Guru that he could not find a place where he was not watched by God, who is an eternal and all pervading witness. God is omnipresent.

---From Stories as told by Swami Ramdas

Avvaiyar’s Wisdom

Ancient Tamil poetess Avvaiyar dedicated her life to educate the people. She was a preacher of simple yet profound truths. Her teachings have the validity for the whole world for all time. She has a permanent place in Tamil literature and her name is a household name in Tamil speaking parts of the world. Several poetesses had this name Avvaiyar. The most famous one was the Sangam poetess. This Avvaiyar was said to be the sister Tiruvalluvar, author of Tirukkural, according to an old legend.

gods-direction.jpg

‘’An interesting story offers an insight into Avvaiyar’s mind. After long wanderings the poetess arrived at a temple and, sitting down to rest, stretched her legs in the direction of the sanctum (Garba Gruham). The temple priest came to her shouting, ‘’how dare you stretch your feet towards god. Get up and get out’’.

Avvaiyar pointedly replied, ‘’Sir I am dead tired and I am urging the ache in my legs to seek relief from god. If you think this is blasphemy, please put my legs in the direction where there is no God. Please, learned priest show me a direction where God is not found ’’.

The priest was nonplussed; soon he acknowledged her wisdom and admitted his ignorance.
Story as told by Sri Suddhananda Bharati from London Sri Murugan Temple Consecration Souvenir, year1984.

compass-2.jpg

Compiled by London Swaminathan

In the same principle, I have learnt the following story.
Once there was a farmer who had son. The farmer used to narrate many stories to his dear son. During the course of his stories, once, he had told his son that God is omnipresent. Days rolled over. The farmer wanted to have some grapes from a wine yard stealthily. He asked his son to guard at the entrance with a stick to see none enters the wine yard for none should see the farmer cutting the grapes.. Immediately, the son sprang up and reminded of the strories to his father and taught the father that we should believe God is omnipresent.

Our conscience is perhaps God when it does good to everyone, and the Devil when it does the opposite !

Sir,

Pranams,

God is Omnipresent. This one, read somewhere, comes to my memory. It was said that once children were playing along the banks of river Cauvery in sand and they built a sand temple and an idol also with sand. They performed pooja and even Nivedhan which was also sand was offered. At the moment, Vaishnavaite Acharya Ramanuja was walking on the banks of Cauvery with 700 disciples of his. After the Nivedhan, the children seems to have invited Ramanuja and offered him the prasad and Ramanuja also received the Prasad with all reverence. This incident illustrates that men of God see God in everything.

With regards:)

Sir,

Pranams,

God is Omnipresent. This one, read somewhere, comes to my memory. It was said that once children were playing along the banks of river Cauvery in sand and they built a sand temple and an idol also with sand. They performed pooja and even Nivedhan which was also sand was offered. At the moment, Vaishnavaite Acharya Ramanuja was walking on the banks of Cauvery with 700 disciples of his. After the Nivedhan, the children seems to have invited Ramanuja and offered him the prasad and Ramanuja also received the Prasad with all reverence. This incident illustrates that men of God see God in everything.

Namaskaram,
Very nice information thank you

LS Sir

Defining God is a herculian task but a great saint (I do not remember who it is) has defined it as "Ominipresent, Omipotent, Omniscient"

Normally, we go with with what we learn. We learn through any or a combination of the following
a. Seeing
b. Reading & Remembering
c. Practising & Understanding
d. Experiencing

For god/self realisation, though we MUST do a, b & c which ultimately will lead to d and hence d is the best.

Hence to realise whether God/self is omnipresent, omnipotent or omniscient, we have to experience it. Our very birth objective is that.

Thanks very much for starting the thread

Regards
Srimadhan

LS Sir

Defining God is a herculian task but a great saint (I do not remember who it is) has defined it as "Ominipresent, Omipotent, Omniscient"

Normally, we go with with what we learn. We learn through any or a combination of the following
a. Seeing
b. Reading & Remembering
c. Practising & Understanding
d. Experiencing

For god/self realisation, though we MUST do a, b & c which ultimately will lead to d and hence d is the best.

Hence to realise whether God/self is omnipresent, omnipotent or omniscient, we have to experience it. Our very birth objective is that.

Thanks very much for starting the thread

Regards
Srimadhan

Sir,

I agree. It is said that God cannot be explained, should be experienced.

கண்டவர் விண்டிலர்,விண்டவர் கண்டிலர்.Those who talk about God,has not seen him;those who have seen him cant talk. But yet Ramakrishna Paramahamsa says certain people ,just before jumping into the ocean of Maha Ananada, come back and call the world to join them: கண்டேன் கண்டேன் கண்டேன்,கண்ணுக்கினியன கண்டேன், தொண்டீர் எல்லோரும் வாரீர்! சேரவாரும் ஜகத்தீரே!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back