• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Power of Brahmins - Recap !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends,

Often , I have been wondering if the almighty GOD has created a
special category of people called " Brahmins " with some superior
capabilities to accomplish something more than the rest, i mean with a special purpose !

The advantage that we have clearly got over the years , as a result of Evolutionary changes is the latest version of the Human Brain ! A superior thought process capable of accomplishing toughest tasks ! and influencing the world in every horizon !

But is this message of GOD clearly understood ! More often we find this superior being , the Brahmin , lives a pretty ordinary life and some times
settles down , without identifying his/her complete potential ?

So Let' discuss about How a Brahmin should set an example to the World !

vijisesh
we can discuss lot of thing... now non bramins few of the people are practising the same... even now a days they are doing japa and chanting slokas... but we are going away from our root and not doing any thing...

1. we should worship god daily atleast once
2. for atleast half or 1 hrs we should do chant slokas
3... we should do sandavandana and gayatri japa... then only we will come to our earlier position ...

The Power of Brahmins

Mr.Vijisesh,

The subject taken by you for discussion is really a good one. But having seen how the discussions go out of tune in this forum, I venture into the platform with a lot of hesitation and fear of getting mauled by personal level adjectives.( I am an old person, not used to modern trend of vituperative eloquence in writing English).

Well, May I point out that, you have started the subject with presumptions. First you say, God Almighty has created Brahmins with superior capabilities than others to accomplish some thing special. Please think again and tell. If so how is that most of the Nayanmars and Alwars were not born in the Brahmin families? It is my view at birth all are same. God Almighty may differentiate but never discriminate. Society did that by devising protective rules as per the needs of the time. I am not telling whether it was right or wrong. How many from other Castes got the opportunity to learn Vedas. As per the tradition jobs and skills were passed on from father to son. In Varnasrama it was different, a Viswamithra or Vyasa can attain the Brahmanyam by their efforts. A Mayura Sharman can turn into Mayura Varman and establish a kingdom of Kadambas. We also find many of the scientific advancements have taken place in other Countries where there are no Brahmins.

Yes, I agree with your points in the second para of your post fully. Due to play of genetics the younger generation of our speceis can do better than others, and they are doing it already. In the bargain we have left our cultural superiority, which was refined by generations, on the way!

Regards,

Last edited:
Dear Mr.Brahmanyan,

I too agree with your view points that the Brains created by GOD are one and the same and the " Usage varies " , and as known to everyone , the Usage of the Human brain will be more effective , when the mind is in peace and tranquility.

May be more number of Brahmins have a composed state of mind , and have a
disciplined life style , resulting in the so-called superiority over other communities !

We do not plan and waste time in making a choice of using the weapons such as Veecharuval or a shotgun or any other weapon , as predominant in some of the other communities , who believe in more raw physical power over the processed Brain power !
So these are some of the major things that makes us superior in the Vision of the Almighty ! I do not intend to say that our hard disk is of increased capacity by a few gigabytes but just that our processor is advanced !
And Take the word from me ! Any attempt to maul this worthy discussion will be dealt with by the Admins ( I hope ) as it is high time to consolidate the Experiences / Feelings of few veterans like your kind self , who participate to fulfill the reason for creation of such forums which is to benefit the people of our community , rather than making them GO AROUND IN CIRCLES !!

Last edited:
Dear Mr.Vijisesh,

Thanks for your kind words. Indeed this forum should welcome everyone's view point while discussing a subject, and confine the criticism or acceptance to the views on the subject, and not on the persons who write.

I do have a point or two to discuss on the Subject taken by you, which I shall do after reading other views.

Regards,

Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
Dear Vijisesh,

You opened this thread with the words:
special category of people called " Brahmins .." .
I think you have made a fundamental mistake here. "God" was a Brahmin while he created others!

For details See Sri Anbu's sixth musing. http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=118&page=2
You should read the fifth musing as well to have continuity. I think Sri Anbu has based his writings on the Upanishad statements.

Remember in the ultimate analysis there has never been a creation and all these creations are false! You cannot dispute this statement without making the ultimate analysis! I.e. if you did make the ultimate analysis you would not dispute it!

Regards,
Ramaa

Dear Ramaa,

Thanks for the link , it's too elaborate and I'll spend some useful time in knowing its contents !

But I didn't quite understand a basic thing !
As we propose GOD to be from our community , many will do the same against their own ! That is not the point we are trying to discuss here !

As of now there is a contemporary Brahmin community worldwide and this
discussion is about "How a Brahmin should set an example to the World !, due to his supremacy as a result of genetic evolution ! Clear simple and easy for a baby to understand - ain't it !

Exactly Mr.Sriniranga,

We can formulate the ' Daily routine ' of Brahmins , and as we all well know
that we do not have a book or strict rules to follow ,
we can definitely make a small ready reckoner for the
Use of Generations to follow !!
Let us see how far this thread goes !
All Experienced people should contribute and share their Ideal Daily routine !

vijisesh
we can discuss lot of thing... now non bramins few of the people are practising the same... even now a days they are doing japa and chanting slokas... but we are going away from our root and not doing any thing...

1. we should worship god daily atleast once
2. for atleast half or 1 hrs we should do chant slokas
3... we should do sandavandana and gayatri japa... then only we will come to our earlier position ...

Mr.Vijisesh,

The subject taken by you for discussion is really a good one. But having seen how the discussions go out of tune in this forum, I venture into the platform with a lot of hesitation and fear of getting mauled by personal level adjectives.( I am an old person, not used to modern trend of vituperative eloqence in writing English).

Regards,

Dear Sri Brahmanyan Ji,

I am responding to this particular statement of yours, because I am concerned. Concerned that one would be reluctant to speak in this forum because of fear of 'getting mauled by personal level adjectives". I have been contributing to this Forum for a while, and believe me, any 'personal mauling' is taken care of by the Admins quite promptly.

But, sir, I do not think that if you put forth an idea and others question the validity of it can be termed as a 'personal mauling'. We should be able to discuss anything under the sun within the rules of decency and respect in this forum. I can cite you various examples where this rule has not been adhered to in this forum, and thus some folks got banished or have withdrawn voluntarily because they could not engage in honest intellectual debate.

When one make statements without any scholorship or logic backing them, then one should expect challenges to such statements (without any personal attacks).

So, can you please communicate what you think are the examples of any 'personal level attacks that maul'? It would be instructive for all of us to avoid such statements in the future.

Pranams,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Sri Vijisesh Ji,

This is a very big topic. And a very important one.

Before we as Brahmins understand what we should do, we should all agree on who we are today. This must be agreed upon - because without this definition, there will be no unity.

There are prescriptions as to what a 'Brahmin' of today should do from variety of our Gurus. There are real theistic differences between the 'reformists' and the 'orthodox'. These are all very real emotional differences.

Even the creation of this world and our role as Brahmins in it varies. Some people sincerely believe in Guna theory very fervently while others do not. Some think that we can go back to the original Varna system and others do not. Some believe in modern humanism while others do not.

Instead of trying to understand each other, we use code words - such as 'secularism', 'anti Hindu', 'for conversion', 'brahmin superiority', etc., etc., to stop listening. If we think that some one else's idea is different from our own, we think that it is a danger to our culture. We then have our danders up and attack anything that we smell as colse to what we hold dear.

The very idea that Hinduism can not change with times is the problem. We fail to realize that just this fact of change within Hinduism has driven away Buddhism, which presented the greatest challenge to Hinduism in India. We somehow think that our religion can not accommodate to our modern lives - which is a lie. Hinduism will survive ever, not because we think that we have to adhere to some culture that worked in ancient times - it is because our Srutis are eternal. As long as we understand this, we can unite.

But Sri vijisesh ji, do not expect any miracles. Because you have to change this mindset before you can lay down the rules for a modern brahminical code of conduct.

Pranams,
KRS

Friends,

special category of people called " Brahmins " with some superior
capabilities to accomplish something more than the rest, i mean with a special purpose !

The advantage that we have clearly got over the years , as a result of Evolutionary changes is the latest version of the Human Brain ! A superior thought process capable of accomplishing toughest tasks ! and influencing the world in every horizon !

But is this message of GOD clearly understood ! More often we find this superior being , the Brahmin , lives a pretty ordinary life and some times
settles down , without identifying his/her complete potential ?

So Let' discuss about How a Brahmin should set an example to the World !

Last edited:
Dear Mr.KRS,

Thanks for your concern shown on my statement. I fully agree with your views on opening up the forum for free expression on the subject with out any disrespect to other's point of view on personal level. I have already expressed the same in my reply (Post53) to Mr.Vigishesh. I do not want to digress further by giving examples. Let us proceed further on the subject.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Brahmanyan Ji,

While agreeing with you somewhat, I am quite disappointed that you would not be forthcoming to 'name the names'. You did level a very serious charge about the postings here in this forum, sir, and when I asked you to to detail it you are not forthcoming. And in addition, you have cited your age as a reason why you can not 'stomach' such vituperative statements.

In fact, I will ask the admins to start a new thread for you to detail your comments, just as to not to distract from this thread. This should be okay for you, should it not be?

Please reconsider your position. Again, it will guide a whole lot of us as to where we have gone wrong. And I have been following your postings and responses closely and I can not even understand your concern based on the responses to your postings. Unless we understand this issue, we are liable to repeat it.

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Mr.KRS,

Thanks for your concern shown on my statement. I fully agree with your views on opening up the forum for free expression on the subject with out any disrespect to other's point of view on personal level. I have already expressed the same in my reply (Post53) to Mr.Vigishesh. I do not want to digress further by giving examples. Let us proceed further on the subject.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Funny !
How easy it is to spring up a confrontation !!

But behind all these , some basic things are forgotten !
There are people who wish to GAIN SOMETHING from the messages posted here !
and that should be in the poster's mind !

A simple task can be made complicated by some people interested in getting involved in " Thinnai Pechu ", or " kusumbu "a stronger word " lollu "!

I think we have seen enough of these ! in this forum , before !

A humble request to have " OFF TOPIC " discussions thru private message facility , please
so that the TEMPO is not lost !

Nanri , vanakkam !

Last edited:
Unity in Diversity !

Dear Mr KRS ,
My response in " BLUE " italics !

Dear Sri Vijisesh Ji,

Before we as Brahmins understand what we should do, we should all agree on who we are today. This must be agreed upon - because without this definition, there will be no unity.

Agreed ! There should be consensus amongst the participants ! If at all anyone wants to veto , he need not take down that particular point in his slate !

The very idea that Hinduism can not change with times is the problem. We fail to realize that just this fact of change within Hinduism has driven away Buddhism, which presented the greatest challenge to Hinduism in India. We somehow think that our religion can not accommodate to our modern lives - which is a lie. Hinduism will survive ever, not because we think that we have to adhere to some culture that worked in ancient times - it is because our Srutis are eternal. As long as we understand this, we can unite.

Unity in Diversity , that is Mother India , Definitely when some Self-Disciplined people begin to post the Postulates , it will prove to be worth while !

But Sri vijisesh ji, do not expect any miracles. Because you have to change this mindset before you can lay down the rules for a modern brahminical code of conduct.

This is not an uphill task like climbing Mount Everest or Launching a rocket to space ! Should be very simple -- Let's give it a try !

Pranams,
KRS

Ok then ! If everyone can List out 10 points as to what they think " makes the Brahmin superior !" , we can get started !

Thanks

Dear Sri vijisesh Ji,

sorry again to intrude in your postings, but it is very important for me to say this.

There is no confrontation, and there is no head-butting either. I am sorry you see it this way.

As members of this Forum, it is very important for all our members to feel that they are not personally attacked. I really think that we all should contribute towards the understanding of what a personal attack is.

Whenever I thought someone attacked me personally (labeling, derogation, snide remarks etc.), I have not hesitated to call on it. In my opinion, this makes it clear to the other person that I will not stand for it.

I asked Sri Brahmanyan Ji to detail the situation. I responded when he was not willing to do so. For the health of the Forum, one should understand what a personal attack is and what a vigorous argument is.

Having said this, I am asking the Admin to remove my comments pertaining to this line of thought. Sorry to have used your thread, but I really think that this is an important point to discuss. Otherwise we will forever harbor negative thoughts about some others in this Forum, and that does not promote unity.

Pranams,
KRS

Funny !
How easy it is to spring up a confrontation !!

But behind all these , some basic things are forgotten !
There are people who wish to GAIN SOMETHING from the messages posted here !
and that should be in the poster's mind !

A simple task can be made complicated by some people interested in getting involved in " Thinnai Pechu ", or " kusumbu "a stronger word " lollu "!

I think we have seen enough of these ! in this forum , before !

A humble request to have " OFF TOPIC " discussions thru private message facility , please
so that the TEMPO is not lost !

Nanri , vanakkam !

Personal Attacks!

Sri Brahmanyan,

When have you been attacked on a personal level? If you would like to name the person and the instance and point me to the specific posting via private message I will see what I can do about the issue.

If you have witnessed other exchanges where posted got heated up and are using that as examples of personal attacks that would be a misinterpretation of what goes on here.

Our topics are sensitive. It is quite natural for anybody who cares deeply about the issue at hand, to get worked up about it. But if ever it gets to the level of personal attacks we at the admin have been doing our best to check the flow of such unwanted thinking. So it is unfair to us admin to say that you are afraid of posting here because you think somebody may attack you on a personal level.

I feel that you have an obligation to clarify yourself because we take comments such as yours quite seriously.

Please explain what you meant.

Regards,
Chintana

Dear Mr K.R.S ji,

I can understand your sentiments and the sensitive issue !
But I have a valued suggestion , which I have been strictly following all thru 160 years of my life ! In order to address the more important issues we need to adopt the policy of " Marappom , mannippom !" and get moving on !
As mentioned by the Admin , the issues are sensitive here and " FRICTION " is inevitable , until the poster delays his response , takes a deep breath and responds only to what is required !
That could be one of the ways to handle things !
Get back to the subject , sir !

Dear Sri vijisesh Ji,

I think you have misunderstood my motivation. I was trying to induce an open and honest conversation. There is nothing to 'forget' or to 'forgive'. I have no personal axe to grind.

Now that Sowbhagyavathi Chintana Ji is handling this, there is nothing more to say on my part.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Mr K.R.S ji,

I can understand your sentiments and the sensitive issue !
But I have a valued suggestion , which I have been strictly following all thru 160 years of my life ! In order to address the more important issues we need to adopt the policy of " Marappom , mannippom !" and get moving on !
As mentioned by the Admin , the issues are sensitive here and " FRICTION " is inevitable , until the poster delays his response , takes a deep breath and responds only to what is required !
That could be one of the ways to handle things !
Get back to the subject , sir !

Last edited:
The Power of Brahmins.

Mr.KRS.,

First let me clarify that I have never told that I have been attacked at personal level by any one. I fail to understand how my innocuous statement of apprehension (on the basis of the heat and friction created in other threads) in my message to Mr.Vigisesh has given a different meaning , though he has understood correctly and replied. In turn this has attracted the attention of the Administrator to ask me for an "explanation". I do understand the concern of Administration of this Forum to keep the discussions clean and have seen that the Administrator had intervened and done course correction at least five times, when the discussion had gone out of course in another thread.

I hope I have clarified the position fully. Now I request you to turn to the subject proper, since I have nothing more to add.

I feel sorry and seek pardon if I have caused any discomforture to any one by my statement.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

CC: "Chintana" Administrator.

Dear Sri Brahmanyan Ji,

Thank you for the explanation. As Sowbhagyavathi Chintana Ji has pointed out, you need not worry to express yourself fully in this Forum. Unlike some other Forums, some of which I have been part of, this Forum, to my appreciation, has a fair minded Forum administration, which allows for all ideas to be expressed without any fear of censorship, unless it is some sort of personal attack or a vulgar posting.

The reason I insisted upon your input was because in your first reply to my posting you did not express what you have just expressed. That led me to conclude that you did not want to 'name any names'. I do not know what other postings here made you skittish to post your own opinions, but I do not wish to take it further as Sowbhagyavathi Chinatana Ji, if it needs be can ascertain that.

My only concern was that we are all on the same page in terms of understanding what our rights are as allowed by the Forum Administrators to express ourselves. Again, it is very important to voice your opinions here, as I have seen some other Forums degenerate in to a faction's mouth piece, that does not serve our community well. And if we have concerns about some postings, we have the obligation to communicate that with the Admins.

I am sure all the Admins here agree.

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Vijisesh,

By nature every flower has its own fragrance. Every being has its own nature. Intellectual capability is just one of the infinite shades of color. Each being has a mix of these shades in various proportions and classifying some of them as superior or inferior (In comparison if one is superior always the next is inferior) is just a gratification of mind’s desire to feel superiority.

Let us all forget the divisions and embrace the whole as it is. Then we become limitless in our being by love and peace finds it way to our heart which will give us the real beauty.

- Sankar

The Power of Brahmins - recap!!

Dear Mr.Vigisesh,

You have given a wonderful query in the thread "How a brahmin should set an example to the world"? To find an answer we may have to brush our History a little. At one time Brahmins were considered as paragon of virtue and all others wanted to emulate them. That was when the Brahmins led a contented and simple life of study, performing their duties with limited material possessions. The society took the responsibility of looking after the Brahmins as national treasure, since they posed no threat to others in any way. After the advent of foreign rulers, especially the British and other European colonial masters, the Brahmins were used by them in employment under them for money. This was the first step towards deterioration of our independence and peaceful living. When "money" enters any field of activitiy it brings trouble. Other Communities started viewing Brahmins as competitors and started disliking them. The end result is the position of our community today.

Now how could we set right this to make ourselves an example to the world.
We have very limited options open to us for this, because the world as a whole and Brahmins in particular have changed a lot. We cannot go back or return to priestly duties of past today. But to start with,we can try to be good human beings and certainly try to change our life style to lead a life as per "Sadachara" enshrined in our holy texts. For this I would like brahmins to take the teachings from "Thaittriya Upanishad, Srimath Bhagavad Gita" or similar holy texts. There are plenty of them avalable and simple to follow.

For instance,the exortations to departing student given in Chapter XI (Eleventh Anuvaka) of Thaittiriya Upanishad will reveal simple rules to follow. We can take which ever is possible for us in today's world, like, Speak the truth, Practice Dharma, Do not neglect the study of Vedas, Do not neglect your duties to the Gods, Treat your Mother as God, Treat your Father as God, Treat your Teacher as God, Treat your guest as God etc. etc.

Similarly "Bhagavad Gita" gives a number of guidelines to us.

These are only brief hints to develop the discussion. I find a lot of learned members contributing in the Forum, they can guide us further.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

The Power of Brahmins - recap!!

Mr.Sankar,

Welcome,That is a nice way of opening up your first post in this Forum. We enter this world without our knowledge or choice and leave the world in the same way. I too believe in the power of Love, pure Love towards all creations. It is my belief that we are all like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle the Creator only knows the purpose and place for us in the tapestry woven by Him. But the fact is there are differences in creation, that cannot be denied. We have to accept it as nature's law. But certainly we should not discriminate any thing or any one because of birth.

Regards,
Brahmanyan

Rightly said ! Certainly we can be aware of the difference. But by not practicing the division, one does not identify himself with the superficial elements (Starting from deriving pride with associations, ending in ones own capabilities) and one discovers himself without ego. This will help oneself to merge with the existence/divine with pure knowledge and the knots of the heart will be removed.

People are at different maturity levels and people at higher maturity level do not take pride because they know they indeed are nothing by themselves. They do help others in the journey. Ultimately they are clear of all inner contradictions, passions and rest at peace. They spread peace by elevating the levels of other people without taking a name for themselves. They are least bothered about themselves.

- sankar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back