• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vasanas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Vasana?

vasana: (Sanskrit) "Subconscious inclination." From vas,
"living, remaining." The subliminal inclinations and habit
patterns which, as driving forces, color and motivate one's
attitudes and future actions. Vasanas are the conglomerate
results of subconscious impressions (samskaras) created
through experience. Samskaras, experiential impressions,
combine in the subconscious to form vasanas, which
thereafter contribute to mental fluctuations, called vritti.
The most complex and emotionally charged vasanas are
found in the dimension of mind called the subsubconscious,
or vasana chitta.

From http://www.experiencefestival.com/

I would like to narrate a couple of instances of Vasana.

1. There is a Muslim called Khan. He belongs to the Pathan community. But from child hood he has been a pure vegetarian. In fact he will not eat vegetarian food prepared in the same vessels as Non-Vegetarian food. His family has separate vessels for to prepare vegetarian food for him. Otherwise he is a devout Muslim.

2. A girl born in a devout Muslim family exhibited a dislike for non-vegetarian food from childhood. Also from child hood she was attracted to Hindu Deities. In spite of all attempts to change her she refused to change. So the family allowed her to be a Hindu.

When she grew up a marriage was arranged with a boy from a known Brahmin family. The Muslim girl is a orthodox Madisar mami now.

In the last decade there has been also a tendency to go back to the roots. We find former English professors and reputed surgeons who have become full time temple priests.

Dear sri Nacchinarkiniyan Ji,

There are other proofs of this, which in the end analysis go to prove the Reincarnation concept.

There is a Professor in India who interviews yound children up to the age of five (or seven?), who remember their previous lives (after this age, they tend to completely forget the details), and he figures that about 70% of the cases are valid and proven.

I am glad to note your first example. Because there is a determined group of our own folks who tend to connect the Guna theory to Vasanas, thereby to our next birth!

Pranams,
KRS

Are Vasanas of a man from his present Life or
traits from his previous janma ?
In Nadi jothidam , there is a gandam where u can come to know about your previous life!
Hearsay, some people out of curiosity looked into that gandam , got the details about their last life , went on there and were able to recollect some of the things !
They say that there is "Brain activity " for the baby in the womb of its mother !
and the soul at the time of departing from this world seeks and gets his next janma!
if it has residual karma left in this world!
Strange !!! Life is full of unexplained theories ! Maybe we need to discover a Mobile phone with sufficient coverage to reach Heaven / Hell - with facility for recharging there itself !

Vasanas are not remembering old jenmas. For that you should read Edward Cayce and other [SIZE=-1]psychics. Remembering old jenmas does not help anyone.

Vasanas are the conglomerate results of sub-conscious impressions created through experience. These could be purva jenma Vasanas and also vasanas created in this jenma.

This concept is very important in Yoga to attain Siddhi. The vasanas could be positive or nagative.
[/SIZE]

Dear Nacchinarkiniyan Ji,

Are not the Vasanas carried between births? If I am mistaken, I apologize. Did not mean to veer this thread off it's original intent.

As the character in 'Saturday Night Live' show says, 'Never Mind!'.

Pranams,
KRS

Vasanas - Voluntary / Involuntary ??
Do you mean Nalla pasanga Vasana / Ketta Pasanga Vasana - Usage ?

Last edited:
Dear Nacchinarkiniyan Ji,

Are not the Vasanas carried between births? If I am mistaken, I apologize. Did not mean to veer this thread off it's original intent.

As the character in 'Saturday Night Live' show says, 'Never Mind!'.

Pranams,
KRS

Yes. Definitely. I had mentioned [SIZE=-1]purva jenma Vasanas. I only meant the knowledge of previous births. This knowledge which is documented by [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]psychics does not seem to serve any useful purpose. There was a time when I was keen on this [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]and other [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]psychical powers[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]. I still have a number of books on these subjects.
[/SIZE]

Vaasana need not be poorva janma vaasana alone. They can be referred to the present janma too which is sometimes referred to as dhOsham if it happens to be a negative one. For example 'sahavaasa dhOsham'. In olden days parents used to have a eye on their children as to who he/she is moving with. Even some kind of segregation were rooted in this belief. Modern secularists decry these behaviors but then the secularists are totally against Hinduism in some way or the other and as a concession to you they would want Hindus to follow some form of westernized religion or shall we say 'reinvent' Hinduism! Oops, I am getting into a controversy!

I have seen in my own experience that certain individuals losing their lusture in some company while gaining in others. There are individuals who are conscious of themselves sometimes they are even termed as self-centered etc while others lose themselves easily to be carried away (eduppar kaippillai).

Vaasana can also be referred to as samskaara or impression. Samskaara is also referred to the ceremonies that happen to an individual in his/her life time such as naamakaraNam etc.

Dear Sri Ram Ji,

I understood your posting, till the time you took off on the 'secularists' and the 'western religions'.

Can you elaborate on this point? I know a lot of westerners following Christianity and Judaism, and when it comes to their youngsters, I do not see a difference between how they try to raise their children as to how we raise our children, in terms of morality and such.

Pranams,
KRS

Vaasana need not be poorva janma vaasana alone. They can be referred to the present janma too which is sometimes referred to as dhOsham if it happens to be a negative one. For example 'sahavaasa dhOsham'. In olden days parents used to have a eye on their children as to who he/she is moving with. Even some kind of segregation were rooted in this belief. Modern secularists decry these behaviors but then the secularists are totally against Hinduism in some way or the other and as a concession to you they would want Hindus to follow some form of westernized religion or shall we say 'reinvent' Hinduism! Oops, I am getting into a controversy!

I have seen in my own experience that certain individuals losing their lusture in some company while gaining in others. There are individuals who are conscious of themselves sometimes they are even termed as self-centered etc while others lose themselves easily to be carried away (eduppar kaippillai).

Vaasana can also be referred to as samskaara or impression. Samskaara is also referred to the ceremonies that happen to an individual in his/her life time such as naamakaraNam etc.

There is very big Myth created by the white men. Unfortunately they have been able to perpetuate it.

That is about western religion.

Judaism and Christianity originated in Asia. Lord Jesus Christ was a middle eastern Jew. Neither he nor any of his disciples were Anglo Saxon or Nordic. He would have looked more like Yasser Arafat than George Bush. They do not call Islam which originated in the same region as Western.

Now about moral values in Christianity.

The basic Christian values are.

* worship of God: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind."

* fidelity in marriage: "Whom God has joined together let no man put asunder."

* renunciation of worldly goods: "Gather not your riches up upon this earth, for there your heart will be also."

* renunciation of violence: "If a man strike you on one cheek, turn the other cheek."

* forgiveness of sins: "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."

* unconditional love: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

The Ten commandments say

Honour your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

You shall not murder.

You shall not commit adultery.

You shall not steal.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.

You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

These are the very same values which are held high in Hinduism.

Talking about Christianity most of them "say grace" before starting a meal. In Hinduism we are supposed to offer all food to God before consuming it. How many of us do it?

You might have heard this song. It was rendered by the great Jim Reeves.

Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light:

Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home.

When my way grows drear,
Precious Lord, linger near,
When my life is almost gone,
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand lest I fall:

Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home.

When the darkness appears
And the night draws near,
And the day is past and gone,
At the river I stand,
Guide my feet, hold my hand:

Is that not every Bhaktha's cry?

Religions , Call it by any name ,
Having widespread recognition - popularity,
should definitely have teachings based on common virtues and principles!
It would be more or less the same meal cooked in different
styles , one having little spice or thoda zyada Namak !

Whoever created it , they cannot defy from the first principles mentioned
by Mr.nachhi in the previous post - Can they ??

One of the good things , we need to learn from westeners is their repeated
usage of the words - Thank You and Sorry ! , which is dearth in *******!

Any Take ? - Take One !

Last edited:
Sir,

Extinction of vasanas is moksha according to 'Yoga Vasistha'. This perhaps
is the best literature on Advaita Vedanta, in the form of dialogue between
Sage Vasistha and Lord Rama. A concise form of this treatise is published
by Sri Ramanashramam, Tiruvannamalai. This is available at

http://www.atmainstitute.org/yogvassara.htm

Swami Sivananda and Swami Venkatesananda have written a brief
introduction to this book and it can be read here :

http://groups.google.com/group/yoga-vasishtha/web/sivananda-venkatesha-commentaries-on-yv

Modern physicists may find this subject quite interesting.

As I indicated before, I do not wish to tread into a fight of religious beliefs and controversies. If someone wants to believe in something that I do not consider as Hindu, I have no qualms. However I would continue to say in what I believe despite being judged for my belief.

A Hindu's family values consist in the inclusiveness of pithrus and devas with whom we are related. In fact we ourselves have been the pithrus and the devas in prior births and would be so in later births. Our samskaaras are embedded in these family values and vice versa. A person not following the karmas do not repudiate our value system, only that he has stayed away from it. There is no guarantee that he would stay away for ever. Athiest Kannadasan became an ardent Hindu Vedanti. He even translated Bhagavat Geetha!

There is no comparison of the Hindus with the followers of the western religions for we have different family value system. We believe in reincarnation and they don't. The concept the soul, the God, the world, the family and everything hinges on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back