• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Prayer for Lord Dhanvanthiri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri Dhanvanthiri Bhaghavan

dhanvantari.gif

தன்வந்திரி பகவான் சரணம்

அமுதத்தை ஏந்திநிற்கும் அருள்கரத்தோய் சரணம்
குமதச் செல்வி மணவாளன் மறுவடிவே சரணம்
சேய் எங்கள் நோய் நீக்கி காத்திடுவாய் சரணம்
தாய் போலே தரணிக்கும் தன்வந்த்திரியே சரணம்.

TAMIL ENGLISH VERSION
DHANVANTARI SARANAM.
AMUTHATHTHAI YAENDHINIRKKUM ARULKARATHTHOY SARANAM
KUMUDHACH CHELVI MANAVAALAN MARUVADIVAY SARANAM
CHEIY ENGAL NOAI NEEKKI KAATHTHIDUVAAI SARANAM
THAAI POALAY THARANIKKUM THANVANTHIRIYEH SARANAM.

http://www.trinethram-divine.com/2011/08/english-tami-dhanvantari.html

Slokam in Tamil
ஓம் நமோ பகவதே
வாசுதேவாய தன்வந்த்ரயே
அம்ருத கலச ஹஸ்தாய
ஸர்வாமய விநாசனாய
த்ரைலோக்ய நாதாய
ஸ்ரீ மஹா விஷ்ணவே நம

In English

Om namo bhagavathe
vaasudevaaya Dhanvanthrayae
amrutha kalasa hasthaaya
sarvaamaya vinaasanaaya
trailogya naadhaaya
sree mahaa vishnavae nama

http://www.indian-heritage.org/slokams/dnvntri.html

There is a separate Sannnidhi for Lord Dhanvantari,
the divine Physician at Sri Rangam

Sri.Dhanvanthri Suprapatham

Dhanwanthari Suprabatham - YouTube

Sri. Dhanvanthiri Gayathiri

Dhanvantri gayatri
om tat purushaaya vidmahae
amritha kalasa hastaaya dheemahi
tanno dhanvantri prasodayaat
or
om aadivaidhyaaya vidmahae
arogya anugrahaaya dheemahi

Mantras for Healing - Dhanvantri Gayathiri - YouTube

Lord Dhanvanthiri Mantra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu3wjs4vsoE

I bow and humbly request Lord Dhanwantari, who is the embodiment of perfect health -- respected by great seers and evil people -- to remove old age, disease, fear and death through His divine presence in all natural herbal medicines.

Salutations to Him, Danvantari, who is holding with his four arms: a conch, a wheel or disk of energy (chakra), a leech and a pot of amrita (celestial ambrosia). In whose heart shines a very subtle, clear, gentle and pleasing blaze of light. This light also shines all around his head and lotus eyes. Who by his mere play destroys all diseases like a mighty forest fire.

"Namaami dhanvantari maadi dēvam suraa surair vandita paada padmam
loke jara ruk bhaya mrutyu naasham daatarameesham vividoushadeenaam

shankham chakram jalaukam
dadhad amruta ghatam charu dorbhi chaturbhih
Sukshma svacch ati hridyam
sukha pari vilasanam
maulim ambhoja netram
Kalam bhodojo valangam kati tata vilasan
charu pitam baradhyam
Vande dhanvantarim tam nikhila gada vanam
praudha davagni leelam"

Dhanwantari Prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJtar7TjiIg

Om MANTRA HEENAM
KRIYA HEENAM
BHAKTI HEENAM SURESHWARA
YAT PUJITAM MAYAA DEVA
PARI POORNAM TADASTU MEY.

Oh Lord, I am weak in mantra, in action and in devotion; Yet, I know my humble attempt is accepted by Thy Grace

http://pbfloridahomes.com/bhajans/other/hindu-prayers/closing-prayers-hindu/

I have given the source from which these Mantras are taken, I have no extensive knowledge to check the correctness of these Verses, Members please use your discretion to recite these.
Thanks and Regards,
P J

Last edited:
Hello PJ Sir ,Once again Thanks for your care and concern towards our T B.com .and sharing this powerful slogan with us.:pray2: .

Sri Dhanvanthiri Bhaghavan

Slokam in Tamil
ஓம் நமோ பகவதே
வாசுதேவாய தன்வந்த்ரயே
அம்ருத கலச ஹஸ்தாய
ஸர்வாமய விநாசனாய
த்ரைலோக்ய நாதாய
ஸ்ரீ மஹா விஷ்ணவே நம

In English

Om namo bhagavathe
vaasudevaaya Dhanvanthrayae
amrutha kalasa hasthaaya
sarvaamaya vinaasanaaya
trailogya naadhaaya
sree mahaa vishnavae nama

There is a separate Sannnidhi for Lord Dhanvantari,
the divine Physician at Sri Rangam

Sri.Dhanvanthri Suprapatham

Dhanwanthari Suprabatham - YouTube

Sri. Dhanvanthiri Gayathiri

Dhanvantri gayatri
om tat purushaaya vidmahae
amritha kalasa hastaaya dheemahi
or
om aadivaidhyaaya vidmahae
arogya anugrahaaya dheemahi

Mantras for Healing - Dhanvantri Gayathiri - YouTube

Lord Dhanvanthiri Mantra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu3wjs4vsoE

I bow and humbly request Lord Dhanwantari, who is the embodiment of perfect health -- respected by great seers and evil people -- to remove old age, disease, fear and death through His divine presence in all natural herbal medicines.

Salutations to Him, Danvantari, who is holding with his four arms: a conch, a wheel or disk of energy (chakra), a leech and a pot of amrita (celestial ambrosia). In whose heart shines a very subtle, clear, gentle and pleasing blaze of light. This light also shines all around his head and lotus eyes. Who by his mere play destroys all diseases like a mighty forest fire.

"Namaami dhanvantari maadi dēvam suraa surair vandita paada padmam
loke jara ruk bhaya mrutyu naasham daatarameesham vividoushadeenaam

shankham chakram jalaukam
dadhad amruta ghatam charu dorbhi chaturbhih
Sukshma svacch ati hridyam
sukha pari vilasanam
maulim ambhoja netram
Kalam bhodojo valangam kati tata vilasan
charu pitam baradhyam
Vande dhanvantarim tam nikhila gada vanam
praudha davagni leelam"

Dhanwantari Prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJtar7TjiIg

The correct wordings of the dhanvantari (धन्वन्तरि - dhanvan +tari) and not Dhanvantri nor Dhanvanthiri mantras are as under:—

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय, धन्वन्तरये, अमृतकलशहस्ताय, सर्वामय विनाशाय, त्रैलोक्यनाथाय, श्री महाविष्णवे स्वाहा ॥

(om̐ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya, dhanvantaraye, amṛtakalaśahastāya, sarvāmaya vināśāya, trailokyanāthāya, śrī mahāviṣṇave svāhā ||)

Usually the "svāhā" mantra is only associated with this probably because it was used for offering oblations daily, morning & evening, as per vedic practices.

As regards the two gāyatrī s, both violate the metric rules for gāyatrī and are therefore defective, bogus mantra; yet the correct words in these two have to be:

1.ॐ तत्पुरुषाय विद्महे ऽमृतकलश हस्ताय धीमहि । तन्नो धन्वन्तरि प्रचोदयात् ॥
(om̐ tatpuruṣāya vidmahe ऽ'mṛtakalaśa hastāya dhīmahi | tanno dhanvantari pracodayāt ||)

2.ॐ आदिवैद्याय विद्महेऽऽरोग्यानुग्रहाय धीमहि । तन्नो धन्वन्तरि प्रचोदयात् ॥
(om̐ ādivaidyāya vidmaheऽऽrogyānugrahāya dhīmahi | tanno dhanvantari pracodayāt ||)

Because these two "fabricated" verses violate the metric norms for the gāyatrī metre, I feel that reciting them as gāyatrīs will be only counter-productive. May be, as per the current "bhakti" siddhantins, people may recite these without the initial "om̐" as just routine prayer verses.

The last sloka is also to be recast as under for the correct wording:

शङ्खं चक्रम् जलौघम् दधत् अमृतघटम् चारु दोर्भिःचतुर्भिः
सूक्ष्मस्वच्छादि हृद्यम् सुख परिविलसम् मौलिम् अम्भोज नेत्रम् ।
काळाम्बोधौ ज्वलन्तम् कटि तट विलसत् चारु पीताम्बराढ्यम्
वन्दे धन्वन्तरिम् तम् निखिलगदवनप्रौढ दावाग्नि लीलम् ॥

(śaṅkhaṃ cakram jalaugham dadhat amṛtaghaṭam cāru dorbhiḥcaturbhiḥ
sūkṣmasvacchādi hṛdyam sukha parivilasam maulim ambhoja netram |
kāḷāmbodhau jvalantam kaṭi taṭa vilasat cāru pītāmbarāḍhyam
vande dhanvantarim tam nikhilagadavanaprauḍha dāvāgni līlam ||)

It has become a routine, or, rather, fashion for any TD & H, to give mantras in internet, with a lot of mistakes, some of which are ridiculous. For example, in the sloka in your post when one says

Vande dhanvantarim tam nikhila gada vanam, it means that "prostrate/pray/honour that Dhanvantari who is (represents) the forest of all diseases and then praudha davagni leelam meaning (one) who plays like a full-blown forest fire.
So, kindly don't amass the paapam of circulating erroneous mantras and slokas; as a brahmin, you should at least know the required sanskrit and in case you don't please do not go by false ideas like god liked incorrect language with bhakti, in preference to the scholarly prayer with correct "vibhaktis", etc.

God did not say anything about spreading/teaching someone, incorrect slokas and mantras; he was only talking only about bhakti and that too what we have is mere hearsay.

Sri. sangom Sir

Thanks for your correction; appreciate it.

Om MANTRA HEENAM
KRIYA HEENAM
BHAKTI HEENAM SURESHWARA
YAT PUJITAM MAYAA DEVA

Oh Lord, I am weak in mantra, in action and in devotion; Yet, I know my humble attempt is accepted by Thy Grace.

Last edited:
Sri. sangom Sir

Thanks for your correction; appreciate it.

Om MANTRA HEENAM
KRIYA HEENAM
BHAKTI HEENAM SURESHWARA
YAT PUJITAM MAYAA DEVA

Oh Lord, I am weak in mantra, in action and in devotion; Yet, I know my humble attempt is accepted by Thy Grace.

This attitude is exactly what is spoiling the mantras. What this sloka says is w.r.t. one's own puja but, as I pointed out, even guruvayurappan did not talk about someone who teaches or disseminates incorrect mantras.

Here again, YAT PUJITAM MAYAA DEVA, PARI POORNAM TADASTU MEY means that whatever puja I have done is complete as far as "I" am concerned, (therefore implying, God!, so you either take it as complete, faultless pooja, or get out from here!). The correct word is PARI POORNAM TADASTU THAE(பரிபூர்ணம் ததஸ்து தே).

I feel we as a nation have failed because of this very "chaltaa hai" attitude.

Last edited:
Dear Sangom ji,

Now since the topic about Gayatri Chanda has been brought up...I would just like some clarification cos I am unable to get much info on some aspects of the Gayatri Chanda.

I am familiar with the Varna Chandas of Anusthup,Vasanthatilakavttram,Indravajravrttam etc..

I would like to know about Gayatri Chanda in terms of its position of its Laghu and Guru syllables..right now all I know about Gayatri Chanda is that it has 3 Padas of 8 syllables each but I have no idea about the position of Laghu and Guru syllables in this Chanda.

In Anusthup Chanda as we know:

It has 4 Padas with 8 syllables each.

The 5th syllable of each Pada is a Laghu.

The 6th syllable of each Pada is a Guru.

The 7th syllable of the 2nd and 4th Pada is a Laghu

The 7th syllable of the 1st and 3rd Pada is a Guru.

Doe Gayatri Chanda also have its own rules of Laghu and Guru arranged in its 3 Padas 24 syllable fashion?

Regards

Dear Sangom ji,

Now since the topic about Gayatri Chanda has been brought up...I would just like some clarification cos I am unable to get much info on some aspects of the Gayatri Chanda.

I am familiar with the Varna Chandas of Anusthup,Vasanthatilakavttram,Indravajravrttam etc..

I would like to know about Gayatri Chanda in terms of its position of its Laghu and Guru syllables..right now all I know about Gayatri Chanda is that it has 3 Padas of 8 syllables each but I have no idea about the position of Laghu and Guru syllables in this Chanda.

In Anusthup Chanda as we know:

Doe Gayatri Chanda also have its own rules of Laghu and Guru arranged in its 3 Padas 24 syllable fashion?

Regards

Smt. Renuka,

I am also not an authority on these topics and whatever I write below is from my reading and mainly based on the authoritative Malayalam book "vṛttamañjari" by Shri A.R. Rajarajavarma, of the Travancore Royal lineage.

In the vedic chandases, there is no guru-laghu concept; all of them denote a more primary idea about poetry and metre and are concerned only about the number of syllables. The word "chandas" itself means this idea - how many syllables are required for each kind of chandas. The chandases vary from the shortest "ukta" with one syllable in each pada (the famous Kalidasa legend of u, sha, Da, ra is one example of this, possibly.) to 26 syllables per pada for the utkriti chandas. Beyond this limit of 26, there are "daNDakams" like the famous SyaamaLaa daNDakam.

The concept of guru-laghu and vrittas based thereon are later arrivals. These metres are also classifiable under each of the 26 chandases, depending upon the number of syllables allowable in each paada. Anushtup has the maximum number of vrittams.

The rules for anushtup which you have given (In Anusthup Chanda as we know:

) are only with reference mainly to the Rigveda and probably the sAman and the yajus; these need not apply when we come to other "janya vrittas" classified under anushtup. The above rules have been codified by (western) orientalists on the basis of the texts dealing with the vedic use of the metres, which give the peculiar sing-song intonation of vedas.

As regards the gāyatrī meter, it is actually 6 X 4 metre but has been used as 8 X 3 in the Rigveda; my understanding is that there is no fixed rule regarding the guru-laghu arrangement; but when we talk generally about gāyatrī mantras the mold of the well-known savitrugāyatrī, and the gāyatrīs of various deities occurring in the mahānārāyaṇopaniṣat, is generally to be copied as best as possible.

You can get more info. from the book titled "Prolegomena on Metre and Textual History of the Rigveda" by Hermann Oldenberg : Translated by V.G. Paranjape & M.A. Mehendale : Motilal Banarsidass Publishers Pvt. Ltd.

Last edited:
Smt. Renuka,

I am also not an authority on these topics and whatever I write below is from my reading and mainly based on the authoritative Malayalam book "vṛttamañjari" by Shri A.R. Rajarajavarma, of the Travancore Royal lineage.

In the vedic chandases, there is no guru-laghu concept; all of them denote a more primary idea about poetry and metre and are concerned only about the number of syllables. The word "chandas" itself means this idea - how many syllables are required for each kind of chandas. The chandases vary from the shortest "ukta" with one syllable in each pada (the famous Kalidasa legend of u, sha, Da, ra is one example of this, possibly.) to 26 syllables per pada for the utkriti chandas. Beyond this limit of 26, there are "daNDakams" like the famous SyaamaLaa daNDakam.

The concept of guru-laghu and vrittas based thereon are later arrivals. These metres are also classifiable under each of the 26 chandases, depending upon the number of syllables allowable in each paada. Anushtup has the maximum number of vrittams.

The rules for anushtup which you have given (In Anusthup Chanda as we know:

) are only with reference mainly to the Rigveda and probably the sAman and the yajus; these need not apply when we come to other "janya vrittas" classified under anushtup. The above rules have been codified by (western) orientalists on the basis of the texts dealing with the vedic use of the metres, which give the peculiar sing-song intonation of vedas.

As regards the gāyatrī meter, my understanding is that there is no fixed rule regarding the guru-laghu arrangement; but when we talk generally about gāyatrī mantras the mold of the well-known savitrugāyatrī, and the gāyatrīs of various deities occurring in the mahānārāyaṇopaniṣat, is generally to be copied as best as possible.

You can get more info. from the book titled "Prolegomena on Metre and Textual History of the Rigveda" by Hermann Oldenberg : Translated by V.G. Paranjape & M.A. Mehendale : Motilal Banarsidass Publishers Pvt. Ltd.

Dear Sangom ji,

Thanks a million for the answer..will try to get the book you recommended.

Regards
Renu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back