• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rare Dharmopadesas for Brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ramachander

Dear Friends,
I obtained the tamil book “Ariya Dharmopadesangal “ which has been published by Sri Ramamurthy Srouthigal, “Sri sadguru Dattatreya Nivasa” , Vidyaranyapura , Sringeri- 577139 from my friend Sri P.V.Anatha Narayanan . My translation of this book in to english is available in
Rules and Rituals of Brahmins: Rare Dharmopadesas for Brahmins
I am sure this book would be very much useful to all Brahmins to know the correct Acharas. I am giving below the introduction to this great book , by its author Brahmasri Srivathsa Ve Somadeva Sarma who is considered to be an authority on this subject:-
Introduction
By
Srivathsa Ve. Somadeva Sarma

Achara (rituals) are only Dharma. The Acharas followed by holy people is Sadachara and Aacharas followed by eminent followers of the religion is Sishtachara. Though we generally tell Achara as Dharma , the rules which help practice Dharma is Sadachara. In some places Dharma is the dress and Achara are the limbs. For example performing Sandhyavandana is a Dharma, but performing it after taking bath, after marking the forehead with sacred marks and wearing a Panchakacha is the aacharas. Even Vedas do not support a person who does not have aacharas. By following Achara we can get a long span of life and also become wealthy . So many Dharma Sasthras say that Dharma is born out of aacharas and anyone who leaves aacharas has a very short span of life.
Karma or Dharma is a medicine that removes sins. Achara is the discipline that we have to follow in taking the medicine . When you do not follow the disciplines, in spite of taking medicine , the disease is not cured. Sometimes even the discipline only cures the diseases. One Purana says that a hunter who only followed Achara , got a Brahmin birth. Any religious without following the aacharas does not give results.
I had also earlier translated another compilation of Sadacharam by K.Sankara SAstrigal
Rules and Rituals of Brahmins: The rules of good behaviour for Tamil Smartha Brahmins
and also given the entire translation of Samkshepa Dharma Sastram got published by the great Paramacharyal
Rules and Rituals of Brahmins: Introduction.

I am sure these compilations would be useful to all the Brahmins to know about the rules of life that they have to follow according to our religious tenets, Ramachander

Even Vedas do not support a person who does not have aacharas. By following Achara we can get a long span of life and also become wealthy . So many Dharma Sasthras say that Dharma is born out of aacharas and anyone who leaves aacharas has a very short span of life.

One Purana says that a hunter who only followed Achara , got a Brahmin birth. Any religious without following the aacharas does not give results.

Dear Sir,

Pranams to you.

I have a doubt here...Vedas is a compilation of evolution of thought and worship of mankind..in other words a collection of opinions and experiences of seers/rishis.

Aachara is technically a code of conduct to be followed and these surely would have evolved over time and also orientated to time, place and person..so basically it is not static and would have had different Aachara for each era.

Does it really specify that Vedas does not support anyone who does not have Aachara when Aachara itself is evolving.

Exactly which part of the Vedas this statement can be found becos our Puranas are always with examples of cases where Bhakti can override Vibhakti(Aachara can be considered a Vibhakti too since it is a form of knowledge of code of conduct)

For example Shabari did not follow any specific Acahara where she even bit and tasted fruits to be served to Lord Rama but yet she is praised for her pure hearted devotion and received blessings from Lord Rama till we have a song today that goes :

kaun kehta hai bhagavan khaate nahi
who says god does not eat?

ber shabri ke jaise khilate nahi
it is becos you do not feed him like how Shabari fed him

So does the Vedas really does not support anyone who does not have Aachara?

Ok coming to the next story about Hunter getting born as a Brahmin.

What Aachara did the hunter follow to be born as a Brahmin cos I am sure as a hunter he would have been barred from following some Aacharas..so I am curious to know what Aachara the hunter practiced to get born as a Brahmin.

So far the only hunter I know who went straight from hunter to rishi..without the need of being born as a Brahmin is our beloved Ratnakara who became Valmiki.

Last but not least I am pleasantly surprised to read this:

By following Achara we can get a long span of life and also become wealthy

Wealthy??? Can you specify what is meant by wealth here?

It is material wealth or spiritual wealth?

I thought the end product of any Aachara is to obtain spiritual wealth and not material wealth..so I would like to know which wealth is meant here?

I hope you could provide me with specific answers and examples.

Regards

Last edited:
I have read the comments at #2. There are any number of Books written by various Seers , for the devoted Brahmin Community . Religious books are being published by a number of people & sold across the country . Whoever like any of those publications would buy those & others would simply scan & not buy . What I would like to mention is this It may not be fruitful to request for clarification of matters written by some one else to the reader of this forum. Besides It is the belief that matters & it is next to impossible to give an Answer, like asking DOES GOD EXIST ?

Srinivasan,

I have read the comments at #2. There are any number of Books written by various Seers , for the devoted Brahmin Community . Religious books are being published by a number of people & sold across the country . Whoever like any of those publications would buy those & others would simply scan & not buy . What I would like to mention is this It may not be fruitful to request for clarification of matters written by some one else to the reader of this forum. Besides It is the belief that matters & it is next to impossible to give an Answer, like asking DOES GOD EXIST ?

Srinivasan,

Dear Sir,

The reason I asked the question is becos PR Ramachander himself is a well known person for the numerous online translations he has done.

I owe a lot of my Sanskrit knowledge by learning his translations works.

So I have confidence that he will be able to give me or able to guide me to the answers I seek.

Further more seeking clarification need not translate as questioning a belief as in disbelieving.

Since you mentioned it.... I do not even view the question DOES GOD EXIST as next to impossible to answer.

The answer is simple and just one word: BHAVA.

Srinivasan,

Sir,
I generally never post any thing, in the threads started by you.
Because you and I have different perspective on life.
But when some one post an opinion (I give them the benefit of doubt), they must have a reason.
You can believe in superstitions, that is your privilege, if you can not prove it to be universal, then keep it to yourself.
Or be ready to be challenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back