• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can God/Goddess do evil to the devotees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that Goddess Bahulamukhi created Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. She is all powerful. She is in all 3 gunas – Satva, Rajas and Taamas. It was also told that Bahulamukhi, in her Taamas form, can do evil to a person if he/she does not do prayers in the ‘right manner’. This is where I am struck. Can God/Goddess do evil to the devotees (a person who ‘devotes’ himself/herself to God/Goddess) merely because of a flaw in the way the devotion was expressed?

I would appreciate views from expert members. Thanks in advance.

This story from Mukkur Narasimhachariyar's upanyasam, may help you to move towards a solution.

He was taking bath in the temple tank in Tirupathi. Near him was a devotee from andhra pradesh, who after every dip said 'goyinda, goyinda'. Mukkur swami wanted to correct him, fearing that he may not get get the benefit he wanted and may get into trouble with Venkatachalapathi. After the last dip, the devotee concluded - last year I came here and prayed the same way; you gave me a prosperous year for all my family. Please give the same results this year too.

Mukkur swamy thought - if Govinda does not mind being called goyinda, but gives him appropriate blessings, who am I to correct his words?

Thank you Sarangji for your response. By the way, you may start a thread on Mukkorar's upanyasam. It would be beneficial to many members.

Well,
The type of devotion is also an important part as for as my perception. Generally the devotees who are doing prema bhakthi or the blind devotion gets good simply because he has submitted every good and bad to the Lord. But when it comes to devotion done with selfish reasons then yes, the God/ Goddess will punish the devotee. Because in some way he asks for something additional for his own purpose and he may do wrongs using the PoojaPalan. Take any Asura for example. All of them were good devotees one time but due to their nature they started doing things against God and then God has to come in some form to rectify the errors done by the Asuras. Think of it as the God giving his ears to those who are affected by the wrongdoings of the devotee....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back