• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

17 Reasons Why You Need a Mango Every Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

by Mae Chan
17 Reasons Why You Need a Mango Every Day

Mangoes may very well be the king of all fruits. They fight cancer, alkalize the body, aid in weight loss, regulate diabetes, help digestion, clean you skin, and make the perfect snack. Here are 17 healthy reasons why you should be eating a mango every day.

Nutrition chart

One cup of mangoes (225 gms contain) contains the following percentages that apply to daily value.
105 calories
76 percent vitamin C (antioxidant and immune booster)
25 percent vitamin A (antioxidant and vision)
11 percent vitamin B6 plus other B vitamins (hormone production in brain and heart disease prevention)
9 percent healthy probiotic fibre
9 percent copper (copper is a co-factor for many vital enzymes plus production of red blood cells)
7 percent potassium (to balance out our high sodium intake)
4 percent magnesium

1. Fights cancer

Antioxidants like quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid and methylgallat present in mango protect the body against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers.

2. Keeps cholesterol in check

Mango has high level of vitamin C, pectin and fibres that help to lower serum cholesterol levels. Fresh mango is a rich source of potassium, which is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps to control heart rate and blood pressure.

3. Skin cleanser

Mangoes help you unclog your pores and add freshness to the face. Mangoes are applicable to any skin type. They help clear clogged pores that cause acne. Just slice a mango into thin pieces and keep them on your face for 10 to 15 minutes and then take bath or wash your face and see the results.

4. Alkalizes the body

According to natural health school.com, mango is rich in tartaric acid, malic acid and traces of citric acid that primarily help in maintaining the alkali reserve of the body.

5. Weight loss

Mango has a lot of vitamins and nutrients that help the body feel fuller. Also, the fibrous fruit boosts the digestive function of the body by burning additional calories, helping in weight loss.

6. Regulates diabetes

Not only the fruit but the leaves of mangoes are healthy too. For people suffering from diabetes, just boil 5-6 mango leaves in a vessel, soak it through night and drink the filtered decoction in the morning. This is helps in regulating your insulin levels.

Mango has a low glycemic index (41-60) so going a little overboard will not increase your sugar levels.

7. Aphrodisiac

Mango has aphrodisiac qualities and is also called the ‘love fruit’. Mangoes increase the virility in men. Vitamin E, which is abundantly present in mangoes, helps to regulate sex hormones and boosts sex drive.

8. Eye care

Did you know that mango is rich in vitamin A. One cup of sliced mangoes equals 25% intake of your daily need of vitamin A. Mangoes help in promoting good eye sight, fights dry eyes and also prevent night blindness.

9. Helps in digestion

Mango contains enzymes that help in breaking down protein. The fibrous nature of mango helps in digestion and elimination. It is is rich in pre-biotic dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals.

10. Heat stroke

When the sun is bogging you down this summer, just chop of a mango in a juicer; add a little water and a tbsp of sugar free or honey. This juice will instantly cool you down and prevent heat stroke.

11. Strengthens your immune

The deadly combination of vitamin C, vitamin A and 25 different kinds of carotenoids keep your immune system healthy.

12. Body scrub

Make a paste of mashed mango, honey and milk and use as a body scrub, you will feel that your skin is tender and smooth.

13. Aids concentration and memory

Studying for exams? This fruit is rich in glutamine acid– an important protein for concentration and memory. Feed mangoes to children who find it difficult to concentrate on studies.

14. High iron for women

Mango is rich in iron, hence it is a great natural solution for people suffering from anemia. Menopausal and pregnant women can indulge in mangoes as this will increase their iron levels and calcium at the same time.

15. Reduces Kidney Stones

In Chinese medicine, mangoes are considered sweet and sour with a cooling energy also capable of reducing the risk of kidney stone formation.

16. Perfect Snack

Instead of snacking on unhealthy chips and cookies, why not feast on slices of mangoes instead. They are perhaps one of the tastiest dehydrated fruits of all.

17. Stomach Tonic

Before going to bed put some 10 or 15 mango leaves in warm water and close it with lid. The next day morning filter the water and drink it in empty stomach. Do this regularly.

Mae Chan
holds degrees in both physiology and nutritional sciences. She is also blogger and and technology enthusiast with a passion for disseminating information about health.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/17-reasons-why-you-need-a-mango-every-day/

Dear sri PJ Sir,

Where I live in Texas, there are abundance of Alphonso, Banganapalli and Kesar this year, in addition to other Mexican, South American and Philippines varieties this season. I am in Mango heaven!

Regards,
KRS

Dear P J Sir,

A diabetologist said that most of the sugar patients come with a high blood sugar, soon after the mango season!

Mango is something harmful to the 'sweet blooded' persons, if eaten daily! :fear:

Dear sri PJ Sir,

Where I live in Texas, there are abundance of Alphonso, Banganapalli and Kesar this year, in addition to other Mexican, South American and Philippines varieties this season. I am in Mango heaven!

Regards,
KRS

Is Banganapalli same as Safeda that we get up north? Actually I saw Banganapalli being sold outside Andhra Bhawan in Delhi and it looked similar to Safeda.

Dear P J Sir,

A diabetologist said that most of the sugar patients come with a high blood sugar, soon after the mango season!

Mango is something harmful to the 'sweet blooded' persons, if eaten daily! :fear:

Raji Ma'am,
Please Dont scare me. Diabetes runs in my family and despite being middle aged(almost) I am yet to give up my habit of having at least 100kg of mangoes per summer :scared:

I don't know about Safeda. The guy at the store told me that B'p[alli is also called 'Badami'.

Regards,
KRS

Is Banganapalli same as Safeda that we get up north? Actually I saw Banganapalli being sold outside Andhra Bhawan in Delhi and it looked similar to Safeda.

KRS Sir

Mangoes sold in US WAL MART shops are not tasty like what we get in India/Chennai, Andhra/Bangalore/Calcutta
Calcutta has different varieties which are very sweet.

Dear Sri PJ Ji,

Yes, the ordinary mangoes from Mexico are not that sweet. The other day I saw Ataulfo mangoes from Mexico in the local Walmart - they are sweeter. Walmart sometimes sell the variety from Peru, which looks like the ordinary variety from Mexico, but tastes much better.

Of course in Indian grocery stores, they sell a variety called Hayden. It tastes good when ripe, but the skin is very thick.

Oh, how I miss the common Neelam we used to get in TN. That is one mango that should be enjoyed by biting in to it, enjoying both the flesh and skin, with the juice dripping down your palm, and making bare even the 'kottai'. All this after eating the Thair Sadam !

Regards,
KRS

KRS Sir

Mangoes sold in US WAL MART shops are not tasty like what we get in India/Chennai, Andhra/Bangalore/Calcutta
Calcutta has different varieties which are very sweet.

Dear K R S Sir,

I remember the neelam variety which we used to get in baskets form dad's patients. And in most of the fruits

we will find a small black 'vandu' and we have to cut the fruit very fast before the 'vandu' crawls outside! :)

Dear P J Sir,

The sweet blooded persons should eat mangoes only for 'rusi' and NOT for 'pasi'! Got it?? :)

In today's podigai farmer's programme (six to six thirty in the morning), there was a lecture and demo on mango trees.

It will take a minimum of 9 years for a new tree to grow from sapling stage and give fruits.

The munaivar expert suggested cutting the trunk of old trees (20 years+) and attaching saplings; the tree will grow additional branches and start bearing fruits in 3 years.

He said that nattu and neelam old maram can be converted to alphonsa variety with the new method.

In our house neelam was always cut and served after ahimsa disposal of the vandu with surrounding pulp or 'kottai'. It will be a nasty shock otherwise with a dark creature running all over in the 'ilai'.

Dear K R S Sir,

I remember the neelam variety which we used to get in baskets form dad's patients. And in most of the fruits

we will find a small black 'vandu' and we have to cut the fruit very fast before the 'vandu' crawls outside! :)

I found an interesting article about this 'vandu'! It is in Tamil. :)

sc1007044b.jpg
sc1007044c.jpg

"மாம்பழத்தில் துளையே இல்லை.... ஆனால் உள்ளே வண்டு! அது எப்படி ?

இந்த மாம்பழ வண்டுகள், கூன்வண்டுகள் (Weevils) என்ற வகையைச் சேர்ந்தவை. கூன்வண்டுகள் என்றால் கூன்

இருக்கும் போல என்று அபத்தமாக நினைத்துக் கொள்ளக் கூடாது. மேலே உள்ள படத்திலிருக்கும் பூச்சியைப் பாருங்கள்.

ஏதோ, யானைக்குத் துதிக்கை இருப்பதைப் போல இருக்கிறதா? ஒன்றுமில்லை; அவற்றின் வாய் அமைப்புதான் அப்படி

உருமாறி இருக்கிறது.
பொதுவாக மாம்பழ சீசன் ஆண்டுக்கு ஒரு முறை மட்டுமே என்பதால், இந்த மாம்பழ வண்டுகளும்,

ஆண்டுக்கு ஒரு முறை மட்டுமே வந்து போகும். மற்ற சமயங்களில், இந்த மாம்பழ கூன்வண்டுகள் மாமரப்பட்டைக்குள்

தங்கிவிடும். அப்போது ஊண், உறக்கம் எதுவுமில்லை!

மார்ச் ஏப்ரல் மாதங்களில், மீண்டும் பழைய நிலைக்கே வந்துவிடும். அப்புறம் துணையைக் கண்டுபிடித்து, கலவியில்

இணைந்துவிடும். கலவியை முடித்தபின் பெண் கூன்வண்டுகள் முட்டை வைக்க ஆரம்பிக்கும். அதற்காக பட்டாணி

அளவிலான மாங்காய்களைத் தேர்வு செய்து,மாங்காய்த் தோலை சிறிது பெயர்த்து, முட்டை வைக்கும். முட்டை வைத்த

பிறகு, மாங்காய்களின் மேலே சுரக்கும் சுரப்பு, முட்டை வைத்த சுவடையே மறைத்து விடும். சுமார் 7 நாட்களில்

முட்டையில் இருந்து புழு வந்துவிடும். பிறகு இந்த புழுக்கள் 'ஹாயாக' சதையைத் துளைத்துகொண்டே கொட்டைக்கு

சென்று விடும். அப்போது, கொட்டை மென்மையாகத்தான் இருக்கும். மிக மிக
ச் சிறியதாக இருக்கும்போதே, புழுக்கள்

உள்ளே சென்றுவிடுவதால், காய் வளர வளர, காய்க்குள் புழுக்கள் துளைத்த துளைகளும் மறைந்துவிடும். பிறகு, புழு

கொட்டைக்குள்ளேயே கூட்டுப்புழுவாகிவிடும். குறிப்பிட்ட காலக்கெடுவின் முடிவில், முழு கூன்வண்டாக மாறும். ஆனால்

நாம் பழத்தை வெட்டும் வரை உள்ளேயே இருக்கும். பழத்தை வெட்டும்போது, வெளியில் வந்து, அடுத்த மாமரத்தைத்

தேடி
ச் சென்றுவிடும்."

Source:
மறைந்திருந்து பார்க்கும் மர்மம் என்ன?

Raji Madam

Is there any English version about how bees enters ripe Mango?

Some of my friends do not know to read Tamil, hence this.

Dear P J Sir,

Raji Madam

Yes, you are right, Diabetic patients must be careful and they should any Sweets.

I would think that the 'Vandu' lodges itself inside the mango flower during it's process of becoming a 'Vadu'. Sustains itself with the flesh.

At home in India, Neelam was usually cut in to two 'Kadhuppus' and a 'Kottai'. But I enjoyed eating it as whole - if there was ;vandu' inside, it was quite apparent after you ate the mango 'thole' and you ate around it :)

Regards,
KRS

Dear P J Sir,

You are so good in Google search and I think you have to do it yourself! :)

I would think that the 'Vandu' lodges itself inside the mango flower during it's process of becoming a 'Vadu'. Sustains itself with the flesh.........
Dear Sir,

Have you read the vandu story I posted above? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back