• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Swarna Pushpam

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have seen gold plated silver flowers in jewelry shops.

They appear like this:

DSC03758.JPG

They are sold by piece rate and my mom bought 108 flowers for her special pooja.

Very rich people make the flowers in pure gold.

See this news. Source:
Golden offering to goddess Durga

VIJAYAWADA (AP) THURSDAY, 25/03/2010:

Industrialist C.C. Kesava Rao and his family (not in picture) based at Guntur present 108 golden flowers

to N. Vijaya Kumar, Executive Officer of Sri Durga Malleswara Swamivarla Devasthanam (not in picture)

for performing puja. The flowers weighed a total of 432 grams and are worth Rs.7.5 lakhs.

26VZVIJREG1GOLD_81228f.jpg

I have seen gold plated silver flowers in jewelry shops.

They appear like this:

DSC03758.JPG

They are sold by piece rate and my mom bought 108 flowers for her special pooja.

Is this not deceiving god? Saying it is gold but actually only silver which is not recommended because silver came out of Rudra's weeping?

Dear Sangom Sir,

God is NOT asking for gold flowers! Only the bhakthAs wish to offer them to Him.

With gold prices soaring so high, I think God will be kind enough to accept the gold plated flowers. :D

Dear Sangom Sir,

God is NOT asking for gold flowers! Only the bhakthAs wish to offer them to Him.

With gold prices soaring so high, I think God will be kind enough to accept the gold plated flowers. :D

True!!

If a son or daughter with his/her true love towards his/her mother presents a Gold platted silver jewellery, with his/her limited resources, a Mother certainly would be intensively and emotionally happy.

Spirituality is driven by love and compassion with which the devotee wishes to be personally contended and offers with true Bhakthi.

Can someone tell me what are the criterias to make Swarna Pushpam in Gold?
Should it look like lotus flowers or can it be coins as well?

Sri. Saisha

Only flowers with good smell are offered to God. Golden-flower is lotus flower shaped. This is only gold and it is not a flower at all.

If one could not offer a golden lotus flower, any noble flower (lotus, rose, Sambangi like) can be offered to God with a request to God to treat it as a golden flower. God is accepting it as golden flower.

Raji Madam , please note using Jasmine shaped Swarna pushpam is to be avoided!!

Probably sangom Sir can throw more light on this.

These should BEAR either a symbol of Lotus or Bhilva leaf embossed on the COIN
and should not resemble the Bhilva leaf in its actual form ( May be due to sharp
edges and this is commonly sold in Chennai as a replica of Bhilva leaf -- pl do
not buy this -- also there are swarna pushpams looking like Jasmine pl avoid)

Before using it for the first Time -- this has to be cleaned in water and
Ashtotra archana of Mahalakxmi to be compulsorily done . Such swarna pushpas can
be used infinitely as gold has no dosha for reuse.

Says Ganapathy Refer this link
Swarna Pushpa

Dear devotess

May I add some information on Swarna Pushpam ( gold flowers ) which I have heard and made on the

Advice of H.H Jayendra Swamygal.

These flowers should be always made either of Gold or Silver only.

These should BEAR either a symbol of Lotus or Bhilva leaf embossed on the COIN and should not resemble

the Bhilva leaf in its actual form ( May be due to sharp edges and this is commonly sold in Chennai as a replica

of Bhilva leaf -- pl do not buy this -- also there are swarna pushpams looking like Jasmine pl avoid)

Before using it for the first Time -- this has to be cleaned in water and Ashtotra archana of Mahalakxmi to be

compulsorily done . Such swarna pushpas can be used infinitely as gold has no dosha for reuse.
The above quote is from the link given by P J Sir! Since it was not quoted, I thought P J Sir wrote this! :)

So H.H Jayendra SwamiygaL has given silver flower as an option. :cool:

The gold plated jasmine flowers could be made as a garland for swami!
icon3.png

Probably sangom Sir can throw more light on this.

I have heard from one learned Namboodiri that flowers represent the "AkASa tatvam". The archanai of idols, deities or even lighted lamps as part of a pooja, requires great care because if it is done improperly, the performer loses all benefits from the whole pooja.

Flowers should be fresh (of that particular day) and should not be from dirty parts of the floor. Faded flowers, flowers from the market which may be of the previous day or even older will take away all the good effects of the pooja/s. It is sufficient to do archana of two or three Tulasi leaves or bilva leaves or fresh flowers from the home garden; doing ashtottharam or sahasranAma archanas with stale, damaged flowers purchased from the market is foolish, according to him.

Silver or golden flowers are counter-productive although they are good for showy poojas. "swarna pushpam" is a mispronounciation of "suvarna pushpam" (flowers of pleasing or agreeable colours) and this change benefits only the priest/purohit in getting a coin or two more.

This Namboodiri was lecturing on the occasion of a "kOTi archana" in a temple and he criticised the whole effort as mere showy effort to fool people, collect moneys and misuse such collection for private purposes. Since he was considered as a great authority on the scriptures, etc., I think he was left unharmed!!

I thank everyone for the replies. I spoke to few priests and almost everyone said that Flowers are better than coins and also in many temples they have only flowers and not coins for Archana. I earlier read the link of Jeyendra Swamigal about Swarna Pushpam and so I was wondering if I can go for coins or flowers. If lotus is embossed on one side what would come on the other side? I am planning to do Lakshmi Pooja on Fridays. I have seen my Paatti doing that with (real) coins and real flowers and so I was not sure which would be the good option. I would prefer real flowers for Archana but since I live in US, getting the flowers we want is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back