• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Some beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of late, I frequently get to hear certain beliefs in respectof worshipping our Gods and Goddesses. Immediately, I recall the following:
1. Oneshould not keep a standing Vinayakar idol/photo, especially if Vinayakar is indancing pose, in the house; (reason: lest the family also starts dancing on allaspects of their life!)
2. One should not keep a sitting Anjaneyaridol/photo in the house; (no reasons given)
3. Lord Buddha’s bust should not be kept inside thehouse; (reason: as Buddha had a disturbed mind, the family will also suffer thesame fate!)
4. Goddess Lakshmi’s photo or idol should only bein sitting posture; (reason: so that she stays in the house for ever!)
5. Photographs of our Gods should be facing theinterior of the house only and not facing the outer door of the house; (reason:photographs of Gods facing the outer door will bless only those who are goingout of the house and not the one inside!)
I have a beautiful standing Vinayakar at home and I used todo poojas and vinayaka chaturthi poojas to that idol; now I have kept it in the showcase; I also did have a Buddha bust which I havenow given away; I have both standing and sitting Goddess Lakshmi photos/idol athome and perform pooja. I have three bigframed photographs of Guruvayoorappan, Venkatachalapathy and Ramarparttabhishekam facing the outer door of the house that have been in the housefor over 50 years.
I am confused. Can someone tell me if these beliefs are trueand should be followed.
Regards,
apsarathy

Of late, I frequently get to hear certain beliefs in respectof worshipping our Gods and Goddesses. Immediately, I recall the following:
1. Oneshould not keep a standing Vinayakar idol/photo, especially if Vinayakar is indancing pose, in the house; (reason: lest the family also starts dancing on allaspects of their life!)
2. One should not keep a sitting Anjaneyaridol/photo in the house; (no reasons given)
3. Lord Buddha’s bust should not be kept inside thehouse; (reason: as Buddha had a disturbed mind, the family will also suffer thesame fate!)
4. Goddess Lakshmi’s photo or idol should only bein sitting posture; (reason: so that she stays in the house for ever!)
5. Photographs of our Gods should be facing theinterior of the house only and not facing the outer door of the house; (reason:photographs of Gods facing the outer door will bless only those who are goingout of the house and not the one inside!)
I have a beautiful standing Vinayakar at home and I used todo poojas and vinayaka chaturthi poojas to that idol; now I have kept it in the showcase; I also did have a Buddha bust which I havenow given away; I have both standing and sitting Goddess Lakshmi photos/idol athome and perform pooja. I have three bigframed photographs of Guruvayoorappan, Venkatachalapathy and Ramarparttabhishekam facing the outer door of the house that have been in the housefor over 50 years.
I am confused. Can someone tell me if these beliefs are trueand should be followed.
Regards,
apsarathy

Dear Sir,

I am not learned person...but if we feel that we can confine God in a picture or an Idol I guess we need to reconsider our understanding of God all over again.

Let me add some more "beliefs"..

I have heard people tell me:

1)Do not keep picture of Mahabharat war scene at home...cos family will start fighting.

2)Do not keep a Mahabharat book at home cos family will start fighting.

3)Do not keep an idol of Nataraja at home cos He will dance the Cosmic Dance of Destruction at home.

4)Do not keep a pic of Ugra Narasimha at home cos He will rip the family apart.

I see no logic in all these.

Once one elderly person was nagging me cos I have a idol of Nataraja in my hall and she was nagging me to not keep it..so I told her that if we humans who have all faults and bad thoughts can be kept inside the house I don't see any reason why God's idols and pics can not be kept at home.

Sorry to say this sir..but I feel we "insult" God(even though He is beyond praise and blame) by even thinking that a certain idol or pic of God can harm us.

Last edited:
Too many apprehensions, confusing, meaningless, and Superstition. If you ask 10 people their beliefs you would get at least 100 wrong informations.

We can not harm any God, and That God is not going to harm us. If you think God can harm you then you have the wrong God.
Forget these misgivings and believe in the Brahman, the unchanging reality amidst and beyond the world.

Photos, statues, gurus, are all representations of this God.

Chinta Aisee Dakini, Kat Kaleja Khaye
Vaid Bichara Kya Kare, Kahan Tak Dawa Lagaye

doha18_1.gif

Guru Nanak in his Gurbani goes a step further:

Worry about that, that what is not inevitable
In the path of this world, Nanak, Nothing is stagnant
Whatever is born must die, be it today or tomorrow
Hence O Nanak, Sing praises of God and leave all concerns.

Of late, I frequently get to hear certain beliefs

in respectof worshipping our Gods and Goddesses. Immediately, I recall the

following:
1. Oneshould not keep a standing Vinayakar idol/photo, especially if

Vinayakar is indancing pose, in the house; (reason: lest the family also

starts dancing on allaspects of their life!)
2. One should not keep a sitting Anjaneyaridol/photo in the house; (no

reasons given)
3. Lord Buddha’s bust should not be kept inside thehouse; (reason: as

Buddha had a disturbed mind, the family will also suffer thesame fate!)
4. Goddess Lakshmi’s photo or idol should only bein sitting posture;

(reason: so that she stays in the house for ever!)
5. Photographs of our Gods should be facing theinterior of the house only

and not facing the outer door of the house; (reason:photographs of Gods

facing the outer door will bless only those who are goingout of the house

and not the one inside!)
I have a beautiful standing Vinayakar at home and I used todo poojas and

vinayaka chaturthi poojas to that idol; now I have kept it in the showcase; I

also did have a Buddha bust which I havenow given away; I have both

standing and sitting Goddess Lakshmi photos/idol athome and perform

pooja. I have three bigframed photographs of Guruvayoorappan,

Venkatachalapathy and Ramarparttabhishekam facing the outer door of

the house that have been in the housefor over 50 years.
I am confused. Can someone tell me if these beliefs are trueand should be

followed.
Regards,
apsarathy

Shri sarathy,

As you very well know, God and his many forms are all human imagination; nobody has seen god and god has not made a public appearance in any of the forms we have.

Traditionally tamil brahmins were not keeping framed photos of gods in their houses; they only used to have the devoojai (daily pooja idols) and lighted brass lamps (kuthu viLakku) to worship as god. All these photos and paintings etc., have come during the last 100 years approximately AFAIK. There are certain beliefs relating to different kinds of images. Our
people here will argue vehemently against the notion that the type of food you eat will affect your nature and, by the same argument, they will say that god can be worshipped in any shape or form.

In my view there is lot of sense in the belief (may be superstition) that the god who is just in our imagination only, has to be worshipped in certain "mangaLa" forms only. For example, even though we know that Krishna performed amorous dances with the Gopis, we will not consider keeping a picture of Krishna in sexual intimacy with the Gopis. By the same token, it may be salutary not to keep standing vinayaka, standing Lakshmi, etc.

Buddha was not considered as an Acharya by our vedic people and that is why we, as devout vedic hindus, are not supposed to keep Buddha's photo or image in our house. Personally, I will not like to "worship" Buddha though hanging a 'bust' of his or hanging an image on a wall may not bring any harm.

Photos facing the exit will normally be the first to catch the eye of anyone coming in also (unless you have a separate exit door). It is OK if the entry and exit are one and the same. Otherwise it is better to keep those large photos with their view inside house.

I have heard of one more belief that the picture of Krishna playing the flute should NOT be kept in the house!

The only photo I took from my ancestral home is this. I refused to part with it when my friend told this belief.

I have it for more than two decades in my pooja cum music class room. In Sing. Chennai, it is believed that

it is bad if the plot faces a road - தெரு குத்து வீடு - the picture of Vinayaka is kept facing outside the house

has to be fixed, to protect from the bad effects! I have seen ceramic tiles with Vinayaka's picture fixed on

the wall facing the road too. The 'kaN drishti Ganapathy' facing North is found in many houses.

VAsthu sAstham plays a huge role here! :)

hi RR madam...

I have heard of one more belief that the picture of Krishna playing the flute should NOT be kept in the house!

even in our home ....the same law by my mom......this is very strict in our home chennai and USA too...
வீடு ஊதி

போயிடும்..... .....this is the explanation from my mom.....

Last edited:
I am reminded of an incident in 2006 when I bought a car for my mum to drive my son to school.
My mum placed a statue of Shiridi Baba in the car dashboard.

My son removed the idol the next day and placed it in the house altar and my mum got angry with him for removing it.

So I asked my son why he removed it and he said that "The car gets very hot when parked in the sun..so Shiridi Baba will be feeling very hot in the sun..so I took Shiridi Baba and kept Him in the altar where its cool"

I was thinking that all of us adults saw the idol as an idol but only a child saw the idol as God.

So from that day onwards I started to think that if we keep and idol or a pic we should treat it like God and not just think of our benefit only.

So same way...what difference does it make which pic is kept at home...be it Krishna playing the flute or a dancing Vinayaka.

I always thought that the ultimate aim of any Krishna bhakta is to be in the place of the flute...to be so close to God that God whispers soft captivating music through us.

Last edited:

The only photo I took from my ancestral home is this. I refused to part with it when my friend told this belief.

I have it for more than two decades in my pooja cum music class room. In Sing. Chennai, it is believed that

it is bad if the plot faces a road - தெரு குத்து வீடு - the picture of Vinayaka is kept facing outside the house

has to be fixed, to protect from the bad effects! I have seen ceramic tiles with Vinayaka's picture fixed on

the wall facing the road too. The 'kaN drishti Ganapathy' facing North is found in many houses.

VAsthu sAstham plays a huge role here! :)

ஊதும் க்ருஷ்ணன் (Flute playing Krishna) image is widely believed to bring decimation of the family and the house. I know of two houses who boldly kept such images and ppoh-ppohed those who advised them to remove those framed pictures, but eventually, after a number of years both the houses simply got wiped out (நொடித்து யாருமே இல்லாமல் போய்விட்டது). So, I think it is better to be careful in this matter.

Keeping Pazhani Andavar image delays, if not stops, marriage of boys.

In the olden days only a few paintings of the temple idols in famous pilgrimage centres like Kashi, Rameswaram, Madurai, Tiruttani etc., used to be kept those too not in the pooja room but in the visitors' room. But over the years everything got changed and now it is a free-for-all situation. One can choose not to feel more religious on direct proportion to the god photos or may well believe in it. Even god might have given up and hidden somewhere where he cannot be traced by man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back