• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Meaning for this sloka please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am here to get spiritual knowledge by joining this site and know the meaning of our mantras and poojas.
I could recite many Sanskrit mantras with considerably good pronunciation and could guess its meaning with the little Sanskrit knowledge i acquired by helping my son to learn Sanskrit in his school days.

I want to know the meaning of this shloka:

RAKTHANETHRAM SHAVAROODAM
NEELOTHPALA KALAPRABHAM
KRUPANAPANI MASROUKAM
DEEPAMTHAM RAAKSHESWARAM

and it s meant for which deity?.....
Please comment........

"

I am here to get spiritual knowledge by joining this site and know the meaning of our mantras and poojas.
I could recite many Sanskrit mantras with considerably good pronunciation and could guess its meaning with the little Sanskrit knowledge i acquired by helping my son to learn Sanskrit in his school days.

I want to know the meaning of this shloka:

RAKTHANETHRAM SHAVAROODAM
NEELOTHPALA KALAPRABHAM
KRUPANAPANI MASROUKAM
DEEPAMTHAM RAAKSHESWARAM

and it s meant for which deity?.....
Please comment........

"
This is a sloka depicting निर्‍ऋति (nirṛti) who is believed to be the presiding deity of South-west direction. Its correct wording is :—

raktanetraṃ śavārūḍhaṃ nīlotpaladalaprabham|
kṛpāṇapāṇimasraughaṃ pibantaṃ rākṣaseśvaram ||

Meaning:

Meditate on the Lords of Rakshasas (demons), having blood-shot eyes, riding a corpse, of dark blue complexion like the petal of a blue lily, carrying a sword in his hands and drinking blood.

Nirṛti is a goddess (I think)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vastu_shastra gives some context to this diety.

You may also want to look at Nir?ti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I saw raktanEtram, I confused with angAraka (with raktAngaM )

Nirriti as one of the eight dikpAlakas, is considered as a male, rAkshasa and the sloka in the OP is about this dikpAlaka. In temples (at least some) nirruti as the souht-west dikpAla is asan idol riding a donkey, carrying a sword.

Hindu scriptures talk about a female nirruti who is considered as the wife of the deva "adharman". This female Nirruti as per Mahabharatam is supposed to have given birth to three sons Bhayan, MahAbhayan and Anthakan who are rAkshasa; these three rAkshasa brothers are also referred to as "NairrutAs" but not as "Nirruti".

Hence I think the sloka does not describe either the female Nirruti nor the NairrutAs, especially when it clearly calls Nirruti as "rAkshaseswara" which denotes a masculine entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back