• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kindly let me know the significance of THANGA POONAL AND VELLI POONAL in Upanayanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are certain things we do it in any ritual without understanding the significance of some of them; we intend to do Upanayanam of our grand sons and Vathiyar has given a list of items; i just wish to know the significance of Thanga Poonal and Velli Poonal in Upanayanam an i know many learned members are in this Forum, who can give me the meaning and significance of those items.

Thanks for your time and knowledge on this.

AFAIK, the vaideeka sampradaayam does not require the gold & silver poonals. Some how, at some point of time this practice seems to have just come in and this serves mostly to advertise the spending ability of the parents. Nowadays even this is not true because one can hire noth the items for a nominal charge and return it in the evening to the hirer!!

In Samashti upanayanams where a large number of boys are given upanayanam ceremony, they do not generally allow parents to flaunt such items.

AFAIK, the vaideeka sampradaayam does not require the gold & silver poonals. Some how, at some point of time this practice seems to have just come in and this serves mostly to advertise the spending ability of the parents. Nowadays even this is not true because one can hire noth the items for a nominal charge and return it in the evening to the hirer!!

In Samashti upanayanams where a large number of boys are given upanayanam ceremony, they do not generally allow parents to flaunt such items.

sangom Sir

Thanks for your Knowledge on this; These are not costly items which can be bought from any well known Jeweler shops in Chennai and other big cities.

Sangom sir's answer is meaningful; vaideeka sampradaayam does not require the gold & silver poonals

Yes, in many Group Upanayanam, this practice is not followed and Sangom Sir has rightly pointed out this.

Sangom sir's answer is meaningful; vaideeka sampradaayam does not require the gold & silver poonals

Yes, in many Group Upanayanam, this practice is not followed and Sangom Sir has rightly pointed out this.
hi p j sir,
my son had samasti upanayanam in chennai last year ....they provided silver poonal.for free.....not gold poonal....just info...

I am rather surprised to note that one can hire gold and silver poonools for the function, because, after the ceremony is over,

both these poonools get tangled with the garland and get twisted too! These are stored just as souvenir in most of the houses!

In spite of many viewers only Sangom Sir could give a meaninful answer; from this it is very clear , we Brahmins follow many rituals without understanding the meaning for it!

Mere viewing of a thread will not ensure any reply P J Sir!

It is said that tying the 'thirumAngalyam' is not a ritual given in the scripts. But it is a must in any Hindu wedding.

For 'valaikAppu' the bangles made of neem, gold and silver are worn first. Similar to that the gold and silver

poonool might have come into practice! :cool:

Raji Madam

Probably you are right, we do certain rituals by custom introduced by elders from time to time like Kasi Yatra which was not in Vedic Marrige system; same way many , family to family Sumangali Prarthanai procedure varies.
Thanks for your valuable answer.

My parents have cheated me; I did not get one, gold or silver.

Only the kings of yore were extravagant and spent their wealth in such pursuits. Simple food became a banquet with hundred dishes.

Since we all are now kings, no wonder, we have to live and spend like kings.

There are certain things we do it in any ritual without understanding the significance of some of them; we intend to do Upanayanam of our grand sons and Vathiyar has given a list of items; i just wish to know the significance of Thanga Poonal and Velli Poonal in Upanayanam an i know many learned members are in this Forum, who can give me the meaning and significance of those items.

Thanks for your time and knowledge on this.

My parents have cheated me; I did not get one, gold or silver.

Only the kings of yore were extravagant and spent their wealth in such pursuits. Simple food became a banquet with hundred dishes.

Since we all are now kings, no wonder, we have to live and spend like kings.

sarang Sir

It is not an item which is very costly, and no parent will ever cheat their own son on these rituals.

It is there in the book forty samskarangal written by SRI VATSA SOMADEVA SARMA and published by sri surabhi jagath guru sathapthi publications chennai 33. 158/12 lake view road. west mambalam. and available in giri trading agwncy.in page no .60.in fouth publication jan. 2010. book. as more details are there about poonal kindly buy the book and get more information before upanayanam date.

It is there in the book forty samskarangal written by SRI VATSA SOMADEVA SARMA and published by sri surabhi jagath guru sathapthi publications chennai 33. 158/12 lake view road. west mambalam. and available in giri trading agwncy.in page no .60.in fouth publication jan. 2010. book. as more details are there about poonal kindly buy the book and get more information before upanayanam date.

Thanks Sri kgopalan Sir

I will try to get one.

Mere viewing of a thread will not ensure any reply P J Sir!

It is said that tying the 'thirumAngalyam' is not a ritual given in the scripts. But it is a must in any Hindu wedding.

For 'valaikAppu' the bangles made of neem, gold and silver are worn first. Similar to that the gold and silver

poonool might have come into practice! :cool:

RAJI Madam

I need to explain about Upanayanam to my Grand Children in a simple way so that they can understand it easily.
I thought that you will be able to help me on this; Kindly explain Upanayanam in simple terms which a Kid of 7- 9 year old who are in US can understand this ritual.
Thanks

Dear P J Sir,

Sorry! I missed this post! I took this simple explanation form Wiki. Hope it is OK for you.

Upanayana (lit. 'leading closer' to the Brahma) is a version of the sacred thread ceremony where

the concept of
Brahman is introduced to a young boy. The youngster is taught during the ceremony

the secret of life through BrahmOpadEsam (revealing the nature of
Brahman, the Ultimate Reality)

or the
Gayatri mantra. The child then becomes qualified for life as a student or Brahmachari.

The strands could represent purity in thought, word and deed expected from the wearer.

You can add: By chanting Gayatri mantra regularly, the face will get added 'tEjas'! :thumb:

The kids will be very happy to know that they will receive lot of gifts on the occasion of their upanayanam! :popcorn:

Dear P J Sir,

Sorry! I missed this post! I took this simple explanation form Wiki. Hope it is OK for you.

Upanayana (lit. 'leading closer' to the Brahma) is a version of the sacred thread ceremony where

the concept of
Brahman is introduced to a young boy. The youngster is taught during the ceremony

the secret of life through BrahmOpadEsam (revealing the nature of
Brahman, the Ultimate Reality)

or the
Gayatri mantra. The child then becomes qualified for life as a student or Brahmachari.

The strands could represent purity in thought, word and deed expected from the wearer.

You can add: By chanting Gayatri mantra regularly, the face will get added 'tEjas'! :thumb:

Raji Madam

Thanks, Looks simple
As one of my grand son is brought up in UK and another brought up in US
( we are doing for both of them this November here in US itself)
Hope they will not pose many questions on Brahman, the Ultimate Reality

This is the explanation i gave them and told them i will be adding more on that

Learning and Education are still the hallmarks of Every society.

· Upanayanam is a ceremony in which a person is declared as about to ‘lead’.
· To Lead one must learn or train to do ‘sacrifices’ involving procedures and duties of personal, family and society.
· A sacred thread is presented to the person to indicate that he has started learning the sacrifices.
· on this occasion the person is given the primary set of instructions.
· the person is declared as ‘Born-again’.

This is a simple explanation for doing Upanayamam

I will write more about it later on.

Let me wait for their response and come back to you if i need your help.

· Upanayanam is a ceremony in which a person is declared as about to ‘lead’.
· To Lead one must learn or train to do ‘sacrifices’ involving procedures and duties of personal, family and society.
· A sacred thread is presented to the person to indicate that he has started learning the sacrifices.
· on this occasion the person is given the primary set of instructions.
· the person is declared as ‘Born-again’.........
Dear P J Sir,

I too read these while browsing. But kids might get frightened if you say they have to sacrifice.

This ceremony is to declare that they can start learning everything good and officially chant the

'Gayatri mantra', which will add 'thEjas' to their face. 'Brahman' will be a bit hard for them to understand!

Dear P J Sir,

I too read these while browsing. But kids might get frightened if you say they have to sacrifice.

This ceremony is to declare that they can start learning everything good and officially chant the

'Gayatri mantra', which will add 'thEjas' to their face. 'Brahman' will be a bit hard for them to understand!

Raji Madam

Yes, thanks.

My both two grand sons who are in US attend BAL Vikas classes, but even for them it might be difficult to understand about Sacrifices , Brahman etc. So i will keep your explanation for them as well as for my other Grand son who is in UK who is not fortunate to attend any such Bal Vikas classes over there.

Thanks for your advice.

RAJI Madam

I need to explain about Upanayanam to my Grand Children in a simple way so that they can understand it easily.
I thought that you will be able to help me on this; Kindly explain Upanayanam in simple terms which a Kid of 7- 9 year old who are in US can understand this ritual.
Thanks

The brahmins were expected to learn and master the particular veda which the family followed. For this a boy was taken to a guru or teacher whom the father and other elders of the family considered to be competent, since there was no system of schools in those days. This "taking near the teacher" or "taking to the teacher" (upa nayanam means taking - nayanam - near to -upa-) and there is no leading by the boy or anyone else.

The boy was left at the teacher's (guru's) home for the gurukula system of learning and they had to live there for 12, 24 or even more years, depending upon how well and how fast the students studied and mastered all the learning or knowledge imparted by the guru or teacher and till he certified them to have successfully completed their gurukulavaasam. Only after such long periods could they return to their parents' home, no annual vacations and so on.

Even after all this some laggards were not given the full qualification, so to say, and such people were prohibited from being gurus themselves.

The above is the truth but boys growing up abroad may not be happy to even know all these details. Hence the best thing is not to bother them with all such useless stuff which they will anyway, not follow after two or three days. Why not spare such boys all the troubles of the poonal ceremony itself? or, better perform it just before their marriage, like what the UP brahmins do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back