• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Free color TVs - isnt it abuse Of government funds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On what basis Mr. Karunanidhi can order color TVs using tamil-nadu government to provide for his promise.

Isn't there any public interest litigation against this type of abuse. How can Mr. Karunanidhi abuse his position to provide for the using government funds. If he has promised to provide color TVs to the as part of his election manifesto, shouldn't he be doing it through his own money and funds?. This could otherwise be used productively for eg., starting a new company or something or educational institution giving permanent benefit to the people instead of a one-time benefit to people of his arbitrary choosing.

What right he got to use tax payers money for such an unproductive endeavour as a gift to people for voting him. Isn't there any PIL filed in tamil-nadu government against these type of actions.

Isn't there any rule limiting or restricting politicians and government officials to take arbitrary decisions of giving away things freely as though it is their property for their personal gain?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1672640,curpg-2.cms

The price of a 14 inch colour TV is Rs 5000-5,500. Companies including Onida, Philips, LG Electronics, and some original equipment manufacturers would be in the fray for the order.

The state government is planning to float a global tender soon for the sets, and has formed a group which is spearheading the exercise. Gulu Mirchandani, chairman, Onida, said the company would apply for the tender.

Sources said in case an overseas-based company wins the tender, then creating a service back-up would be a problem. Other details like the number of units to be supplied in a year will have to be thrashed out, as a single manufacturer cannot service the order.

This is democracy. Even if you file a pil, he will drop it and make you a villan. If you leave it, he will loot your coffer. This is the disadvantage of human being who has the perversing capability because of his intelligence to use good for bad.

Leave it, never try to attack the pheripheral, attack the main problem, they are uneducated mass, poverty and unemployment. Once that are resolved, no body will buy this gimmicks.

Still we are community who wants to be backward in the governmnet books.[ other than brahmins ]

regards, sarathy

Some one should put a PIL against this kind of behaviour. Atleast this will delay and bring out the governments folly in this regard.

The problem has to be tackled in two ways;

1) The poor, uneducated will be given education and things like that, but this is a long term plan
2) In the near short term make sure governments cannot arbitrarily give things freely without any accountability and especially for a personal gain!.

prpsarathy said:
This is democracy. Even if you file a pil, he will drop it and make you a villan. If you leave it, he will loot your coffer. This is the disadvantage of human being who has the perversing capability because of his intelligence to use good for bad.

Leave it, never try to attack the pheripheral, attack the main problem, they are uneducated mass, poverty and unemployment. Once that are resolved, no body will buy this gimmicks.

Still we are community who wants to be backward in the governmnet books.[ other than brahmins ]

regards, sarathy

MGR & Jayalalitha Also Did The Same Thing

There is no point in blaming M.K. MGR started the free noon meal scheme & several other free schemes. Jayalalitha gave free bicycles out of govt. funds to school students, gave free bus passes & free text-books to students, all for the sake of votes. MGR also started the free electricity to farmers scheme, which continues to this day. All these three people are in the same boat. All of them are guilty of giving freebies to people for the sake of votes. There is no point in opposing M.K. for such freebies just because he is anti-Brahmin and supporting Jayalalitha blindly in whatever she does, just because she is a Brahmin. There is no need for a PIL. That will only aggravate the Brahmin hatred in the state and will serve no useful purpose. The Brahmins should not be seen to be blocking pro-poor measures of the DMK govt. M.K. has mellowed down over the years and he is no longer as anti-Brahmin as he was in the past. He had & continues to have many Brahmin friends like "SAAVI", Neurosurgeon Dr.B.Ramamurthy, Guhan (Retired I.A.S. Officer), Kavignar VAALI, Actor Gemini Ganesan, Journalist Manian and so on. There is no point in antagonising the DMK unnecessarily. In fact there is a new-found friendship between MK & the Kanchi Mutt because of the vindictive activities of Jayalalitha against the Kanchi Acharyas & the Kanchi Mutt.In the Kumbhakonam Assembly constituency, many Brahmins voted for Ko.Si.Mani of the DMK against "Kudumi" Ramanatha Iyer of the AIADMK. Jayalalitha foolishly antagonised the Iyers who were her natural vote-bank by harassing the Kanchi Acharyas who are like the Pope to the Iyers.
In fact I myself was voting for the AIADMK from 1977,i.e., right from MGR's time. I voted for MGR & Jayalalitha in every election including local bodies election till the 2004 Lok Sabha election, but I will not vote for Jaya anymore. Jaya has deeply hurt the Iyers in the Kanchi matter.:violin:

As prprsarathyji rightly pointed out in a democracy the rule of majority is the standard in so far as actions do not violate the basic fundamental rights. These give aways are legal since in the perception of the governement the need of the hour is to give tvs. We should look at the basic problems as rightly pointed out by prpsarathyji.

hi,

pls address me as sarathy. rather than ji. I felt this forum is for venting out the expression of brahmin, concerns of brahmin.

Dear Sri. Sarathy,
I am sorry if I did not address you properly. I shall continue to address you as Sarathy.Thanks for the feedback

Kaundinya:

Please enlighten this ignorant person - me! Are you sure Jayalalitha was behind Kanchi Sankaracharya's arrest, et al? Why did she do that? Reasons? If true, what did she gain in arresting him?

As you might have known, I was practically brought up in the US and naturally, therefore, I only get bits and pieces of these news.
Thank you.

Dear Sarathy
I am very curious - I saw your posting to sln41 not to address you 'ji'. But isn't it customery in India to address people with 'ji' as a mark of respect?
Am I missing something? Maybe perhaps only in the North?

Reply To Mr.silverfox

silverfox said:
Kaundinya:

Please enlighten this ignorant person - me! Are you sure Jayalalitha was behind Kanchi Sankaracharya's arrest, et al? Why did she do that? Reasons? If true, what did she gain in arresting him?

As you might have known, I was practically brought up in the US and naturally, therefore, I only get bits and pieces of these news.
Thank you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear Mr.Silverfox, It was indeed JJ as CM of TN who ordered the arrest of Sri Jayendra in connection wih the Sankararaman murder case.The arrest per se was not wrong but the shabby treatment meted out to the Acharya, the Junior Acharya and the employees & sevaarthis of the Mutt was nothing but harassment of the worst kind.Jaya appointed a corrupt police officer by name Prem Kumar as the SP of Kanchipuram & entrusted him with the case.
Prem Kumar harassed the Acharyas & sevaarthis of the Mutt.During the initial hearing of the case, the Public Prosecutor(an AIADMK man) called Sri Jayendra "a criminal". All the accounts of the Mutt were frozen by Jaya's police.When the Supreme Court ordered the release of the Acharya on bail saying that the prosecution could not show any evidence linking the Acharya to the murder, Jaya's prosecutor requested the Court that the Acharya must not come to South India & must stay in the North!!! As soon as Jayendrar was released on bail by the Supreme Court, Jaya's police raided the Kanchi Mutt & arrested the Junior Pontiff. This was tantamount to contempt of the apex court.Subsequently Sundaresa Iyer, the manager of the mutt & Raghu, younger brother of the junior pontiff, were arrested under the GOONDAS ACT which act is a preventive detention act for jailing habitual criminals like rowdies, boot-leggers, thieves and so on. Sundaresa Iyer is a retired official of the Reserve Bank & he came to serve the Mutt after retirement on being asked to do so by the late Paramacharya Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati.Further all sorts of canards were spread against the Acharyas by Jaya's police. In 1984, when the Paramacharya was alive & MGR was the CM, a Brahmin boy studying in the Mutt's Veda Patasala accidentally drowned in the Ekambareswarar Temple tank. Now Jaya's police tried to make it appear a case of murder & tried to implicate Sri Jayendra in it. The Mutt was financially helping a middle-aged Iyengar lady of Sri Rangam who is a cancer patient.The police spread the story that the lady was a concubine of Sri Jayendra.They also alleged that the Junior Pontiff Sri Vijayendra used to dance nakedly with an actress of Madras!!! I'll mention the reasons for Jaya's behaviour in my next post as this post is already very lengthy.
With regards,
Kaundinya.:llama:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Kaundinya:

Thank you so much for explaining the whole case. Where were all the Hindus? Were we all mere by-standers and did nothing? If it were to have happened to a Christian priest (or worse, to a Mullah), blood would have swept thru the streets of Tamil Nadu. I regret to say this but most of us Hindus are cowards! Of course, the Federal Government did nothing on the basis of 'secularism'. It is so convenient that when it comes to Hindus, it is 'secularism' but if it happens to Muslims or Christians, then it is acting to protect the minorities! Epitome of hypocricy!

So, what is the current status of this case? Where is Acharya staying? What is going to happen to this case? Sooner or later, the government will have to face up to it.

Last edited:
Hindus are not cowards Mr. Silverfox they just lack focus. They dont have good leadership. Very true if this were the case if some imam or priest were arrested blood would have spilled. You said you are in US right, but what hapened when a lot of catholic priests who got arrested due to 'pedophile' cases against them. Nothing happened in US no protests nothing!. This is because US is a christian majority country. Christians feel safe here in US and so is the case of hindus in India.

The problem with hindus is lack of leadership!. Hindus are not cowards. Remember what happened in the case of Babri Masjid (I am not saying it is a good thing or a bad thing) majority of hindus rallied without any fear because the leadership was focussed, the leadership had a clear goal and leadership knew what they wanted or atleast was able to galvanize the popular sentiment against muslims.

With hindu religious leaders the focus is not clear. What Kanchi Seer, or Ramanuja Jeer, or Mata Amritnandamayi, or Bangaru Adigal do for hinduism as such? I mean for all hindus together. Here and there we see some good service (they have constraints too obviously), but again, all their actions are not done for hinduism as a whole isnt it. We need a good PR and Leadership that is the most important things for us now!.

silverfox said:
Dear Kaundinya:

Thank you so much for explaining the whole case. Where were all the Hindus? Were we all mere by-standers and did nothing? If it were to have happened to a Christian priest (or worse, to a Mullah), blood would have swept thru the streets of Tamil Nadu. I regret to say this but most of us Hindus are cowards! Of course, the Federal Government did nothing on the basis of 'secularism'. It is so convenient that when it comes to Hindus, it is 'secularism' but if it happens to Muslims or Christians, then it is acting to protect the minorities! Epitome of hypocricy!

So, what is the current status of this case? Where is Acharya staying? What is going to happen to this case? Sooner or later, the government will have to face up to it.

kaundinya said:
There is no point in opposing M.K. for such freebies just because he is anti-Brahmin and supporting Jayalalitha blindly in whatever she does, just because she is a Brahmin.

I am not opposing this free TV action because he is anti-brahmin. If you look at the thread I am questioning his motive of giving free for a personal political gain. This disagreemnt on giving free things arbitrarily applies to other parties as well. If jayalalitha gave somethings for the same reasonthat is wrong too btw. The free cycle thing you mentioned did jayalalitha give using the government funds or through her party/private funds?. If I remember right she gave it before the election right?.

kaundinya said:
There is no need for a PIL. That will only aggravate the Brahmin hatred in the state and will serve no useful purpose. The Brahmins should not be seen to be blocking pro-poor measures of the DMK govt

Nobody is opposing this as a brahmin. We have to oppose this as a responsible citizens.

Dear Srkpriv:
I regret my choice of words "cowards"; perhaps I should have used "do-nothing"; "lackadaisical". I wish I had used a stronger word for being passive.
Anyway, I was trying to make a point that We Hindus do not rise, stand up and be counted when it matters. Your example of Babri Masjid is a very bad example indeed; I wish they didn't rise up to that occasion!
But I can remember in the late fifties when EV Ramasamy Naicker went around breaking Krishna, Rama and Ganesh idols on the street, his thugs went around where Brahmins lived and terrorized them by cutting off their 'poonal', harassed the Brahmin women, where were all the Hindus? As a boy, I was terrified even to go out on the streets.
You are absolutely right; there was no proper leadership. Somebody should have taken the reins and motivated people.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Jaya Did Give The Freebies Out Of Govt. Funds

srkpriv said:

I am not opposing this free TV action because he is anti-brahmin. If you look at the thread I am questioning his motive of giving free for a personal political gain. This disagreemnt on giving free things arbitrarily applies to other parties as well. If jayalalitha gave somethings for the same reasonthat is wrong too btw. The free cycle thing you mentioned did jayalalitha give using the government funds or through her party/private funds?. If I remember right she gave it before the election right?.

Nobody is opposing this as a brahmin. We have to oppose this as a responsible citizens.

REPLY:

Jaya did give the freebies out of govt. funds. To begin with she gave free bicycles to dalit (harijan) girl students because the harijans were angry with her because of her association with their enemies the Mukkulathor (also known as Devars). Sasikala, the dearest friend of Jaya, belongs to the Mukkulathor community. Jaya tried to pacify the dalits and to curry favour with them. After her worst defeat in the 2004 Lok Sabha elections (she lost all the 39 LS seats in TN & 1 LS seat in Pondy), she started giving freebies OUT OF GOVT.FUNDS. She extended the free cycle scheme to all castes. She also gave FREE TEXT BOOKS to all students upto the Plus 2 level OUT OF GOVT. FUNDS. She further gave FREE BUS PASSES to all students OUT OF GOVT. FUNDS. She did all this to win back the voters who had deserted her in the 2004 LS elections. All the freebies given by her were out of govt. funds with an eye on the 2006 TN Assembly elections. Of course,she gave Rs.50,000 out of the MGR Trust to the families of AIADMK partymen who died. Moreover she helped individuals now and then out of the Chief Minister's Relief Fund. BUTTHE FREE BICYCLES, TEXT-BOOKS & BUS PASSES WERE GIVEN BY HER OUT OF GOVT.FUNDS ONLY. She could give the freebies before the elections because she was in power then whereas MK could only make promises before the elections because he was not in power then. Now that he is CM he is trying to implement his promises. Moreover, after the DMK's Election Manifesto promising free colour tvs,etc., was released, Jaya also promised that she would give FREE COMPUTERS TO PLUS 2 STUDENTS and give 10 Kgs.of FREE RICE EVERY MONTH TO ALL RATION CARD-HOLDERS if she was returned to power. Had she become the CM, she would have started implementing her election promises just like Karunanidhi !!! So,what is the difference between MK & Jaya? Both of them are in the same boat.Like the late Kamaraj said,both DMK & AIADMK are "ORAY KUTTAIYIL OORIYA MATTAIGAL". If we are to file a PIL against the DMK govt. now, then we should have filed a similar petition against the Jaya govt.for her freebies out of govt. funds when she was the CM.:washing:

Hi Kaundinya:

Regarding the Tamil Nadu Elections, would someone enlighten me on the legality of DMK party's promise to give away free TVs, rice for Rs.2/kg, etc.?
Is this not against the Election rules? It tantamounts to open bribery, and that, too, using the Government treasury. I think Mr. Karunanidhi is using the govt. money to give away freebies; or is it from his party?
You know, the Maran brothers control the TV and communications industry and they are worth more than Rs.7000 crores (I am told); why can't they use their wealth to pay off these campaign promises?

The DMK party's promises to give free colour TVs & rice at Rs.2 per kg. to ration card-holders was perfectly legal. All parties including the AIADMK & Congress do the same thing in their election manifestoes before every poll.Only the party in power (in this case the AIADMK) should not give any freebies or announce any new schemes after the election process begins. Even they can make promises of freebies in their election manifesto. After coming to power the winning party can give freebies and this is perfectly within its right. Even if a PIL against such freebies ( after the elections) is filed , the petition is most likely to be rejected by the court. Rice was already being given at a subsidised rate of Rs.3.50 per kg. to ration card-holders in TN. Now the DMK govt. is giving a further subsidy of Rs.1.50 per kg. & supplying rice at Rs.2 per kg to the people. This is perfectly legal. Even the Central Govt. is giving cooking gas cylinders at a subsidised rate only. I am not supporting the DMK but am stating the facts only.
As for PILs, it is advisable for a Brahmin not to do so. During her first term as CM (1991-96), Jayalalitha, on the advice of her then supporter K.Veeramani of the Dravidar Kazhagam, got an act enacted by the state legislature giving 69% reservation to BCs, MBCs, SCs & STs & persuaded the then PM P.V.Narasimha Rao to include the 69% Reservation Act in the IX Schcdule to the Constitution of India so as to make the 69% Reservation beyond the purview of all courts including the Supreme Court. A Brahmin advocate of Madras by name VIJAYAN was about to challenge this in the Supreme Court & and had booked his flight tickets to Delhi. Jayalalitha came to know about this & asked her henchmen to do something about it. Accordingly some rowdies were sent to Mr.Vijayan's house & he was attacked with sticks, etc. & the advocate suffered grievous injuries & multiple fractures. Further you might be knowing about how an acid attack was made on a Brahmin IAS officer by name CHANDRALEKHA by hirelings of those close to Jayalalitha, when the IAS officer tried to prevent the sale of shares of SPIC, a quasi-govt. company, at throwaway prices by the Jaya govt. during her first tenure (between 1991-96). Chandralekha's face was burnt partially & she had to undergo plastic surgery. She resigned her post & joined Dr.Subramanyam Swami's Janata Party. During Jaya's first term as CM, the then Chief Election Commissioner Mr.T.N.SESHAN (also a Brahmin) incurred Jaya's displeasure and so the Taj Coromandel Hotel in Madras where he was staying was attacked by AIADMK hoodlums! Further, one Mr.Shanmugasundaram, a non-Brahmin & a DMK advocate was attacked by AIADMK rowdies & sustained grievous injuries when he was about to file a petition against Jayalalitha in the Madras High Court (during her first term as CM). Jaya is also notorious for filing false "GANJA CASES" not only against her opponents but also her supporters who incur her displeasure. I'll mention about it in my next post. What I am driving at is it is foolish to support Jaya just because she is a Brahmin. That is the reason why Jaya's friend & ardent supporter THUGLAK CHO turned against her & supported the DMK-G.K.Mooppanar combine in the 1996 T.N.Assembly elections & remained neutral in the 2006 elections. Incidentally I am distantly related to Thuglak Cho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy! Kaundinya!

You must hate this woman, Jayalalitha! Rightfully so!

However, do you have solid proof that JJ did all these atrocities? If so, where is your FBI (sorry! I dont know the equivalent name for the Indian side) and what were they doing? How come your Criminal Investigative Agency is not going after all these crooked politicians?

I am not saying everything is hunky dory in the US. Nevertheless, once caught, even powerful Republican Senators are tried and go to jail.

Hi,

I think there is a very strong debate going on this front, let me say my points.

See first of all india is a democratic country, which means people are considered only one time in five years, they are taken care of. all the other 4 years and 364 days ignored. I love this country but hate the politicians, they don't increase or do something to the people's living style. inturn they make them more worse. first govt should abolish all sort of freebies. In fact they can train people ' how to leave independently', but im sure this is not going to happen. All politicians are power hungry, so they make silly politics and its no point we are boiling our brains in these stupid things.

Miles to go before i sleep, miles to go before i sleep.

Let us make ourselves good, be independent, be truthfull to ourselves and help the country. Jai Hind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back