• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

mama jeevitha haethunaa- interpretation sought

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SANDHYAV

Mangalya Dhaaran(am) a) In South Indian Brahmin families, Mangalya Dhaaranam is considered to be the most important ceremony. Though there is no special mantra for this, the BG recites the following sloka:
Maangalyam thanthunaanaena mama jeevitha haethunaa /
kanttae bathnaami supahae sanjeeva sarasa satham:
The meaning is: "This yellow rope is managala suthram. This will help my longevity. I shall now tie this rope in your neck. I pray you live happily for a hundred years."

Smt. Sandhya,

the correct words are मम जीवन हेतुना (mama jīvana hetunā) and this means "for the sake of my jīvana = living, avocation, etc. The second line is कण्ठे बध्नामि सुभगे त्वं (सं) जीव शरदश्शतम् (kaṇṭhe badhnāmi subhage tvaṃ (saṃ) jīva śaradaśśatam).

Because the rigvedic brahmins (which mantras are still recited even in today's tabra vaideeki marriages) believed that a male has to get married, become a grihasta and perform all of the various sacrifices (yagas) prescribed by the vedas, in order to attain a good existence in the pitruloka after his death - as a high class pitru, marriage was a necessity; probably this is the reason why the words "mama jeevana hetunaa" have been used.

The second line means "I tie (am tying) [this - unstated but अनेन तन्तुना (anena tantunā)= with this string, in the first line, helps the full meaning correctly.], O one with good radiance (सुभगे - subhage), may you (tvaṃ) live (may you live along [with me saṃ jīva]) for one hundred autumns.

Last edited:
wow guru! you are indeed a veteran in this field.
thanks for kindling my interest in sanskrit, i learnt not to copy and paste mantras from another website, especially the sanskrit ones.

wow guru! you are indeed a veteran in this field.
thanks for kindling my interest in sanskrit, i learnt not to copy and paste mantras from another website, especially the sanskrit ones.

For your kind information, thaali is not part of a vedic marriage and this is not a vedic mantra. Most probably, this was coined by some south Indian scholar long after the times of the vedas. The saptapadee and paanigrahana is the rite which seals a vedic (brahmin) marriage.

For your kind information, thaali is not part of a vedic marriage and this is not a vedic mantra. Most probably, this was coined by some south Indian scholar long after the times of the vedas. The saptapadee and paanigrahana is the rite which seals a vedic (brahmin) marriage.

Dear Sangom ji,

Is is possible at this present age for a priest to conduct a South Indian marriage without the need for a Thali?

Since it is not really Vedic I guess it can be done away with since not many women too these days would not like to wear one.

But everyone had got so used to seeing a Thali tied in a marriage that if they do not hear the Kettimelam word and witness the Thali being tied...no one would know when it is time to eat!

You know why??...I see in most marriages..when the thali is tied and the music of the nadaswaram changes to denote a Thali being tied..people rush for food right away after the Thali is tied..so if there is no Thali..they might be waiting and waiting and waiting and miss their food!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Sangom ji,

Is is possible at this present age? for a priest to conduct a South Indian marriage without the need for a Thali?

Since it is not really Vedic I guess it can be done away with since not many women too these days would like to wear one.

But everyone had got so used to seeing a Thali tied in a marriage that if they do not hear the Kettimelam word and witness the Thali being tied...no one would know when it is time to eat!

You know why??...I see in most marriages..when the thali is tied and the music of the nadaswaram changes to denote a Thali being tied..people rush for food right away after the Thali is tied..so if there is no Thali..they might be waiting and waiting and waiting and miss their food!LOL
hi
i saw many hindu marriages without thali......especially in punjabi weddings....they need only SINDOOR in forehead.....other

than nothing sympbolical......

hi
i saw many hindu marriages without thali......especially in punjabi weddings....they need only SINDOOR in forehead.....other

than nothing sympbolical......

Dear TBS garu,

Yes..I am aware of that..that is why I asked Sangom ji if any South Indian Marriage without Thali is possible for this age?

Norties mostly don't have Thali system weddings.

BTW is Pottu/Sindoor also Vedic or Non Vedic?

BTW if Thali was a recent addition that means we also can make a new addition and tie a Thali around guy's neck too..so both tie for each other!
Just change one word in the stanza.

Mangalyam Tantunanena Mama Jeevana Hetuna,
Kanthe Badhnaami Arya Tvam Jeevam Sharada Shatam!

Dear TBS garu,

Yes..I am aware of that..that is why I asked Sangom ji if any South Indian Marriage without Thali is possible for this age?

Norties mostly don't have Thali system weddings.

BTW is Pottu/Sindoor also Vedic or Non Vedic?

As long as the Thaali is made of gold and its cost is shared equally by both the sides (which was the practice till recently), it will be difficult to eliminate this practice. But, looking at the contemporary scenario, especially marriages of tabras only, I feel it is the groom who should get the Thaali, may be it can be renamed as Thaalan to indicate the change of gender!

All are valid:
The Hindu Marriage Act,1955

7. Ceremonies for a Hindu marriage.-

(1) A Hindu marriage may be solemnized in accordance with the customary rites and ceremonies of either party thereto.

(2) Where such rites and ceremonies include the saptpadi (that is, the taking of seven steps by the bridegroom and the bride jointly before the sacred fire), the marriage becomes complete and binding when the seventh step is taken.

State Amendments

(a) by each party to the marriage declaring in any language understood by the parties that each takes the other to be his wife or, as the case may be, her husband; or

(b) by each party to the marriage garlanding the other or putting a ring upon any finger of the other; or

(c) by the tying of the thali.

As long as the Thaali is made of gold and its cost is shared equally by both the sides (which was the practice till recently), it will be difficult to eliminate this practice. But, looking at the contemporary scenario, especially marriages of tabras only, I feel it is the groom who should get the Thaali, may be it can be renamed as Thaalan to indicate the change of gender!

Dear Sangom ji,

May be one needs to start the trend of not opting for Thali style weddings but out here in Malaysia I don't think this sort of mindset is possible.
No South Indian here(besides me) will think that a marriage is complete without a Thali!

I remember attending a wedding of my husband's cousin who married a Uttar Pradesh Brahmin girl and the wedding had 2 priests..one North Indian priest and one TB priest..the wedding was a fusion of South and North ceremony cos the girl's side did not have the tradition of Thali and my husband's aunt wanted a Thali to be tied.

So the TB priest was present just to handle the Thali typing part!
The rest of the ceremony was UP style.

I found it amusing cos when the Thali was tied..my husband's aunt was looking for some rice to throw and she could not find it cos the UP side did not have that tradition and somehow my husband's aunt found some flowers to shower on the bride and groom!

Dear Sangom ji,

May be one needs to start the trend of not opting for Thali style weddings but out here in Malaysia I don't think this sort of mindset is possible.
No South Indian here(besides me) will think that a marriage is complete without a Thali!

I remember attending a wedding of my husband's cousin who married a Uttar Pradesh Brahmin girl and the wedding had 2 priests..one North Indian priest and one TB priest..the wedding was a fusion of South and North ceremony cos the girl's side did not have the tradition of Thali and my husband's aunt wanted a Thali to be tied.

I found it amusing cos when the Thali was tied..my husband's aunt was looking for some rice to throw and she could not find it cos the UP side did not have that tradition and somehow my husband's aunt found some flowers to shower on the bride and groom!

Smt. Renuka,

My second son has married a girl whose "poorveekam" is from Indore area. They don't have this Thaali and the entire marriage went (in Baroda) according to their customs only. However my dil wore the thaali subsequently at an auspicious time chosen by my wife and she (dil) wears it dutifully whenever she comes to the south of India though she removes it once she reaches Mumbai! We (even my wife who is old-worldish) have no problems with this practice because after all we want our son and his family to be safe and happy.

It is for the marrying couple to decide. Why do you want to start a revolution as per your wish and fancy?

Anyway, it is said to be an original age old dravidian practice - eimperumthali. We should have four more!

hi
even in HINDU MARRIAGE ACT ....SAPTAPADHI IS IMPORTANT...NOT THALI...just manjal thread is important...but gold is

asset and contribution from bridegroom's side...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back