Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SANDHYAV Guest

mama jeevitha haethunaa- interpretation sought

0 Not allowed!
    Mangalya Dhaaran(am) a) In South Indian Brahmin families, Mangalya Dhaaranam is considered to be the most important ceremony. Though there is no special mantra for this, the BG recites the following sloka:
    Maangalyam thanthunaanaena mama jeevitha haethunaa /
    kanttae bathnaami supahae sanjeeva sarasa satham:
    The meaning is: "This yellow rope is managala suthram. This will help my longevity. I shall now tie this rope in your neck. I pray you live happily for a hundred years."
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Smt. Sandhya,

the correct words are मम जीवन हेतुना (mama jīvana hetunā) and this means "for the sake of my jīvana = living, avocation, etc. The second line is कण्ठे बध्नामि सुभगे त्वं (सं) जीव शरदश्शतम् (kaṇṭhe badhnāmi subhage tvaṃ (saṃ) jīva śaradaśśatam).

Because the rigvedic brahmins (which mantras are still recited even in today's tabra vaideeki marriages) believed that a male has to get married, become a grihasta and perform all of the various sacrifices (yagas) prescribed by the vedas, in order to attain a good existence in the pitruloka after his death - as a high class pitru, marriage was a necessity; probably this is the reason why the words "mama jeevana hetunaa" have been used.

The second line means "I tie (am tying) [this - unstated but अनेन तन्तुना (anena tantunā)= with this string, in the first line, helps the full meaning correctly.], O one with good radiance (सुभगे - subhage), may you (tvaṃ) live (may you live along [with me saṃ jīva]) for one hundred autumns.
    Last edited by sangom; 03-03-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    एकं सद्विप्रा नैव जानन्ति ।
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    SANDHYAV Guest

0 Not allowed!
    wow guru! you are indeed a veteran in this field.
    thanks for kindling my interest in sanskrit, i learnt not to copy and paste mantras from another website, especially the sanskrit ones.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SANDHYAV View Post
    wow guru! you are indeed a veteran in this field.
    thanks for kindling my interest in sanskrit, i learnt not to copy and paste mantras from another website, especially the sanskrit ones.

For your kind information, thaali is not part of a vedic marriage and this is not a vedic mantra. Most probably, this was coined by some south Indian scholar long after the times of the vedas. The saptapadee and paanigrahana is the rite which seals a vedic (brahmin) marriage.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sangom View Post
    For your kind information, thaali is not part of a vedic marriage and this is not a vedic mantra. Most probably, this was coined by some south Indian scholar long after the times of the vedas. The saptapadee and paanigrahana is the rite which seals a vedic (brahmin) marriage.
    Dear Sangom ji,

Is is possible at this present age for a priest to conduct a South Indian marriage without the need for a Thali?

Since it is not really Vedic I guess it can be done away with since not many women too these days would not like to wear one.

But everyone had got so used to seeing a Thali tied in a marriage that if they do not hear the Kettimelam word and witness the Thali being tied...no one would know when it is time to eat!

You know why??...I see in most marriages..when the thali is tied and the music of the nadaswaram changes to denote a Thali being tied..people rush for food right away after the Thali is tied..so if there is no Thali..they might be waiting and waiting and waiting and miss their food!LOL
    Last edited by renuka; 04-03-2013 at 10:27 AM.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Dear Sangom ji,

Is is possible at this present age? for a priest to conduct a South Indian marriage without the need for a Thali?

Since it is not really Vedic I guess it can be done away with since not many women too these days would like to wear one.

But everyone had got so used to seeing a Thali tied in a marriage that if they do not hear the Kettimelam word and witness the Thali being tied...no one would know when it is time to eat!

You know why??...I see in most marriages..when the thali is tied and the music of the nadaswaram changes to denote a Thali being tied..people rush for food right away after the Thali is tied..so if there is no Thali..they might be waiting and waiting and waiting and miss their food!LOL
    hi
    i saw many hindu marriages without thali......especially in punjabi weddings....they need only SINDOOR in forehead.....other

than nothing sympbolical......
    asato maa sadh gamayaa, tamaso maa jyotir
    gamayaa, mrityor maa amritham gamayaaa..
    om shanti, om shanti, om shanti...upanishad
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tbs View Post
    hi
    i saw many hindu marriages without thali......especially in punjabi weddings....they need only SINDOOR in forehead.....other

than nothing sympbolical......

Dear TBS garu,

Yes..I am aware of that..that is why I asked Sangom ji if any South Indian Marriage without Thali is possible for this age?

Norties mostly don't have Thali system weddings.

BTW is Pottu/Sindoor also Vedic or Non Vedic?
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    BTW if Thali was a recent addition that means we also can make a new addition and tie a Thali around guy's neck too..so both tie for each other!
    Just change one word in the stanza.

Mangalyam Tantunanena Mama Jeevana Hetuna,
    Kanthe Badhnaami Arya Tvam Jeevam Sharada Shatam!
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Dear TBS garu,

Yes..I am aware of that..that is why I asked Sangom ji if any South Indian Marriage without Thali is possible for this age?

Norties mostly don't have Thali system weddings.

BTW is Pottu/Sindoor also Vedic or Non Vedic?
    As long as the Thaali is made of gold and its cost is shared equally by both the sides (which was the practice till recently), it will be difficult to eliminate this practice. But, looking at the contemporary scenario, especially marriages of tabras only, I feel it is the groom who should get the Thaali, may be it can be renamed as Thaalan to indicate the change of gender!
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads

0 Not allowed!
    All are valid:
    The Hindu Marriage Act,1955

7. Ceremonies for a Hindu marriage.-

(1) A Hindu marriage may be solemnized in accordance with the customary rites and ceremonies of either party thereto.

(2) Where such rites and ceremonies include the saptpadi (that is, the taking of seven steps by the bridegroom and the bride jointly before the sacred fire), the marriage becomes complete and binding when the seventh step is taken.

State Amendments

(a) by each party to the marriage declaring in any language understood by the parties that each takes the other to be his wife or, as the case may be, her husband; or

(b) by each party to the marriage garlanding the other or putting a ring upon any finger of the other; or

(c) by the tying of the thali.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast