Tamil Brahmins
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Alternatively, consider donating to keep the site up. Donations are accepted via PayPal & via NEFT. Details on how to donate can be found at here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    721
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Pratibha Patil - Tokenism or Has India come of age ?


    0 Not allowed!
    The possibility of a first Woman President (wonder whether it will be Rashtrapathni in hindi !) is music to few ears while others are quick to dismiss it as mere tokenism or symbolism.

    What do our members think ? Can India genuinely can take pride in a "have-done-it-before-US" feeling ?

    Could there have been a better choice among women ?
    நன்றி,
    ஹரி

    அன்பே சிவம்.
  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    584
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    In general I am not terribly excited about the post of President in India.

    Pratibha Patil must be some kind of a convenient choice, like the way Abdul Kalaam was (know who nominated him? - Mulayam Singh Yadav! makes me think that India has good karma that it doesn't even know about!).
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    188
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Politics takes over Qualities


    0 Not allowed!
    Its clearly not an exciting choice as we had for Kalam ( Is there a overhype about him like we had for Shivaji movie is a matter for another discussion). I read it in pioneer 'The first president will be the sixth choice of the Congress'.I felt very sad to see Karan Singh saying 'I am so immodest to say i was the most qualified among the contenders (of Congress i guess) to become the president...Left vetoed me as they are anti religion.' Come on Karan Singh where are u? Actually i felt there wud be some name like Arjun Singh or Shinde wud emerge given MK and Mayawathi were involved in the selection process. Finally an unknown face is thrusted. And her important qualification was 'Sending back the conversion bill to the Raj Govt'.

    I personally feel its a waste of time for intellectuals to become a rubber stamp and try to validate or correct the politicians. So I feel she is a dummy person for a dummy post !!!!!!
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    188
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    The comparison


    0 Not allowed!
    I feel the similarity between the US president and Indian president is only the name and position. But strictly speaking based on political decision making powers its makes more sense to compare the post of our PM with their president.In that aspect we had a woman occupying the highest decision making post much before the US.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    CHENNAI 600005
    Posts
    1,101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    sirs= the record of the pratibha as governor of rajasthan was dismal. she refused to accord her assent to the progressive anti conversion bill. the pratiba now says indian women started wearing purdahs to protect themselves from muslims during moghul rule in india. since moghul rule is over, there is no need for purhah now!

    what she says seems reasonable. in fact even in orthodox hinduism, the practice of sidelining widows by asking them to wear white sarees is there. but this does not have scriptural sanction, and is followed more as a tradition. in fact many practices, in hinduism, which have been abused, do not have scriptural sanction and are followed more as a tradition, unlike in other religions, where scriptures themselvs sanction obscurantism!!
    (If my views are offensive i feel sorry for that)
    Regards
    Suresh.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    vellore
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    President of India


    0 Not allowed!
    sirs-I have a doubt that what Mr.Kalam has done to the people of india during his tenure as the first citizen of our country.And why he had left out from the nomination race?
    Even if Ms.Pratiba would be elected as our president nothing is gonna happen.and though the president has lots of powers and functions they will never take any steps nor oppose against the politicians whoever rules out the central.
    Vijayalakshmi
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    721
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Check this out | President's role


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by viju View Post
    sirs-I have a doubt that what Mr.Kalam has done to the people of india during his tenure as the first citizen of our country.And why he had left out from the nomination race?
    Quote Originally Posted by viju View Post
    Even if Ms.Pratiba would be elected as our president nothing is gonna happen.and though the president has lots of powers and functions they will never take any steps nor oppose against the politicians whoever rules out the central.
    Ms Viju,

    What kalam has done to the people of india :

    a. for starters he didn't go to tirupathi 2 times a week like SD Sharma. That said in jest, he was by and large non-partisan (people would be tempted to say about the Bihar assembly dissolution, but that apart)

    b. He made Rashtrapathi Bhavan accessible. He was the people's president

    c. Very very importantly, he had a vision for the country and he had prepared vision roadmaps for atleast 4/5 states. He presented his vision in the State assemblies too. No president in the history of india had ever done it.

    d. He brought certain dignity to the post being a "qualified professional".

    e. He travelled the length and breadth of the country, went to siachen, flown a fighter aircraft - he did it all.

    f. The "connect" he created with children is something unique. He instilled a sense of purpose among the young minds of the country and was a huge source of motivation.

    g. He did the unthinkable too. He reduced the Rastrapathi bhavan's expenditure by some x% (dont remember the figure off hand). While all other presidents were piling on the revex, here was a man, who brought austerity to the high office too.

    h. He broke traditions, protocols during his interaction with people (to the extent possible)

    i. His greatest, lasting contribution is that he redefined the role of President. Perhaps for the first time in the annals of Indian history, the people of india got involved in a presidential election much to the chagrin of the politicians.

    j. He brought certain charm to the president's appearance too. Not for him the stiff bandgalas, he looked young, energetic, bright & cheerful in blue shirt & cream trousers, apparently his favourite.

    Just to show he is only a mortal, He had a forgettable week too when he appeared to be considering a second term. No one is infallible.

    President's role

    Largely ornamental, (except when there is a constitutional crisis, even then he has his legal advisors - he just needs guts to do what is right) without any true powers but hopefully Dr Kalam has shown his successors how a President could contribute to the thought process of nation building. If Ms Patil is able to do that and manage to keep herself politically clean, she would have done a yeoman service to the country.
    Last edited by hariharan1972; 29-06-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    நன்றி,
    ஹரி

    அன்பே சிவம்.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  14. #8
    blast_from_the_past Guest

    Pratibha Patil


    0 Not allowed!
    xXx
    Last edited by blast_from_the_past; 11-09-2007 at 09:07 PM.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    721
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    A clarification


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blast_from_the_past View Post
    There in the reason lies that I support of Ms Pratibha Patil. Mr Abdul Kalam is a very popular and correct choice. However this is not time for political liberalism and being politically correct.
    Regards
    blast_from_the_past
    b_f_t_p,

    Just to clarify my position, hope you didn't think that i am against the candidature of Ms Patil.
    நன்றி,
    ஹரி

    அன்பே சிவம்.
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  18. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    252
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Hi blast_from_the_past

    My responses inline

    Quote Originally Posted by blast_from_the_past View Post
    Ms Viju,

    What kalam has done to the people of india :

    a. for starters he didn't go to tirupathi 2 times a week like SD Sharma. That said in jest, he was by and large non-partisan (people would be tempted to say about the Bihar assembly dissolution, but that apart)

    b. He made Rashtrapathi Bhavan accessible. He was the people's president

    c. Very very importantly, he had a vision for the country and he had prepared vision roadmaps for atleast 4/5 states. He presented his vision in the State assemblies too. No president in the history of india had ever done it.

    d. He brought certain dignity to the post being a "qualified professional".

    e. He travelled the length and breadth of the country, went to siachen, flown a fighter aircraft - he did it all.

    f. The "connect" he created with children is something unique. He instilled a sense of purpose among the young minds of the country and was a huge source of motivation.

    g. He did the unthinkable too. He reduced the Rastrapathi bhavan's expenditure by some x% (dont remember the figure off hand). While all other presidents were piling on the revex, here was a man, who brought austerity to the high office too.

    h. He broke traditions, protocols during his interaction with people (to the extent possible)

    i. His greatest, lasting contribution is that he redefined the role of President. Perhaps for the first time in the annals of Indian history, the people of india got involved in a presidential election much to the chagrin of the politicians.

    j. He brought certain charm to the president's appearance too. Not for him the stiff bandgalas, he looked young, energetic, bright & cheerful in blue shirt & cream trousers, apparently his favourite.

    Just to show he is only a mortal, He had a forgettable week too when he appeared to be considering a second term. No one is infallible.

    President's role

    Largely ornamental, (except when there is a constitutional crisis, even then he has his legal advisors - he just needs guts to do what is right) without any true powers but hopefully Dr Kalam has shown his successors how a President could contribute to the thought process of nation building. If Ms Patil is able to do that and manage to keep herself politically clean, she would have done a yeoman service to the country.




    Hari

    Mr Hari

    The points you have raised are very pertinent, but let us look at the larger picture. What we need as a president is a person who is capable of calling a spade a spade. In this time of Islamic revivalism in the Indian subcontinent, we need a person like Ms Pratibha Patil who calls the bluff of secularists and proclaimed in a public assembly the serious fact that purdah and veils were brought in by Moghul and Islamic invaders(which fact has been tried in every concievable way by the Islamists and communists to brush into the carpet and present a false picture of communal harmony), and is in no way a secularist. She believes in mediums and seances and is a true Hindu. It is time for a honest appraisal of history and brushing aside the history taught by the communists under Jawaharlal Nehru's patronage, we need a view of history reflecting the Hindu viewpoint and thereby the Hindutva worldview. There in the reason lies that I support of Ms Pratibha Patil. Mr Abdul Kalam is a very popular and correct choice. However this is not time for political liberalism and being politically correct. This is the time we need to become fanatic Hindus and should take steps to protect the Hindu nation, rather than becoming liberals which is but one step away from secularism and atheism.


    Woah! Strong words !! By being fanatic arent we becoming like those we hate ? Then what is the difference between them and us ?

    Believing in mediums and seances is one's personal choice. But, IMHO, that should not be the test for being elected as the President of our nation. If it were true we should elect the local "exorcists" in TN as our President.

    Neither I, nor many of the Hindus like the distorted history being taught by the so called "secularists". But that does not mean we should distort it the other way.

    I am sure you mean well. But, your posting about Hindus becoming fanatic to counter other fanatics reminded me of a statement by Gandhiji. This was told to me by my grandfather. During the time of independence there were a lot of big shots who used to advocate partitioning the country, doing this and that, all in the name of doing good for the country. To add to that Winston Churchill also quipped that Britain not giving independence to Indians is for our own good as we cannot rule ourselves. On hearing all these Gandhiji said "I am not worried about our enemies and those who don't mean well and are bent upon detroying our country. I am only worried about those people who mean well and think they are doing good for the country. Those are more dangerous than our enemies".

    BTW, it is an interesting screen name you have.

    Rgds
    Ramki


    Regards
    blast_from_the_past
    Last edited by rxrajamo; 29-06-2007 at 08:43 PM.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 08:02 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-05-2015, 01:39 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-05-2015, 02:39 PM
  4. Inside India: Village Life in Southern India
    By P.J. in forum Web Resources
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-11-2014, 11:08 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-10-2014, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •