• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently there are 6 people, 2 in Chennai , 2 in USA, one in Canada, one in Saudi for the Trg/Education and Employment forum. We need some more . I feel we should use this forum for the following to begin with, please give additional ideas

1. Provide all info that will help brahmin community children know about opportunities that exist in India as well as outside , admission procedures etc , this site should also include vocational, non Univerity kind of stuff as well. In fact we can categorize into , +2 students, for Bsc / for Bcom students etc

2. make sure poor deserving candidates get help in the form of loans and donations with a verbal commitment they will help fellow brahmins wherever they are and in whatever way they can

3. Explore ways in which rich families can educate poor children , volunteers to make sure money reaches the right people for right purpose

4. Persuade brahmin schools/ educational institutions to admit atelast few poor brahmin students free of cost

5. Conduct coaching sessions, could be on anything like English speaking skills/personality development skills etc for students from smaller villages

Hello subalaji:

I was thinking of putting up a flier in Hindu temples about our site. This will help us get more members registered and better coverage as well. In terms of other activities: I'll do my best, whatever it is I can from here and will let you or our group of volunteers know if I’m hard pressed for time then. Hope it helps

subalaji said:
Currently there are 6 people, 2 in Chennai , 2 in USA, one in Canada, one in Saudi for the Trg/Education and Employment forum. We need some more . I feel we should use this forum for the following to begin with, please give additional ideas

1. Provide all info that will help brahmin community children know about opportunities that exist in India as well as outside , admission procedures etc , this site should also include vocational, non Univerity kind of stuff as well. In fact we can categorize into , +2 students, for Bsc / for Bcom students etc

2. make sure poor deserving candidates get help in the form of loans and donations with a verbal commitment they will help fellow brahmins wherever they are and in whatever way they can

3. Explore ways in which rich families can educate poor children , volunteers to make sure money reaches the right people for right purpose

4. Persuade brahmin schools/ educational institutions to admit atelast few poor brahmin students free of cost

5. Conduct coaching sessions, could be on anything like English speaking skills/personality development skills etc for students from smaller villages

Hi Iyengar,

But when u put it up in Temples just dont give too much info as it might attract unwanted attention, you can may want it to put it in a simple format

We all are tied up with so many things , even if we take up a small and simple task it is still worthwhile

Balaji

JS

As I said in another thread I did post a flyer in the local temple and some people objected and got it removed. So you might want to contact your temple committee before posting.

I will continue contacting other members of the community in person.

Ramki

If some body can give some space, we could put computer for the practice of the students. That will help them to see the whole world and reach out for help.

Hi Members,

do agree with all your efforts for educational assistance,info regarding career plans,etc...but do we have a list of students who are about to avail the assistance .if we can have the phone numbers or the email id of the members ,hope we can interact and do something concrete.

Regards
S.Ram Prakash
[email protected]

Hi subalaji
Just came back from Salt Lake City, Utah (USA). A young gentleman named Ramki (Ramakrishnan) called me from Raleigh, NC (USA) last week and talked to me about volunteers. Unfortunately, I misplaced his cell phone number. He said he would send me an email.
Could you please tell me where things stand in regard to organizing the volunteers in the US?

Last edited:
Volunteer

Hi friends,

Happy to serve our community in the best possible way.I do not have the contact number of any of our member who are residing in chennai or bangalore or coimbatore.Please let me know if anyone resides in these cities so that i can keep in touch with them.

Regards
S.Ram Prakash

Hi RamPrakash, This section is good enough to post information, however u can reach me on private message , I am in chennai and know enough people in coimbatore too, where are u ?

Hi Silverfox,

We have 3 volunteers in USA , need a couple of more atleast .

Balaji

Currently there is a need of money for education fund of few poor students, children of archakas and cooks ,whoever can please contribute
From my side I can make sure this goes to genuine cases

Praveen any suggestions how we can handle given the fact that we dont have a company to manage

Praveen/Subalaji

I noticed some have "Member" status while others have "Junior Member" status. How does this work? Thanks

Hi Balaji

I got to see your msg just now; ofcourse, I do volunteer to contribute to any cause that will help the needy tambram.

I live in Nigeria but my folks live in Chennai.

Could you pls link up on [email protected] for further interaction on this?

rgds

sridhar

Hi subalaji

Add me as a volunteer from USA. I will try to organize the volunteers from USA. I spoke to Silver FOx last week. I will talk to all the USA members this weekend and see where we are.

Hi SilverFox, sorry I had to go out on a call. Will call you again this week.

Hi Balaji

Glad to hear from you.I hail from coimbatore, but work in bangalore as a HR ina consultancy firm.I would extend my level best to help anyone in our community.

Hope you can reach me at [email protected].Please
do mention your contact number.

Regards
S.Ram Prakash

Last edited:
Thanks Volunteers , it is better we communicate on this forum than give my personal numbers etc, if not please always send a message thru this site to me .As Volunteers we need to figure out what all we can realistically do , some ideas please

I feel we should do

1. Make sure more and members join this site as well as Volunteers forum across the world.

2. Make sure lot of useful info gets put up in this site on education and creating a resume database

3. Identify needy deserving students and make sure money reaches the right people and used in the right way

4. Encourage people to contribute financially , get in touch with successful businessmen/ any profession and encourage them to put money into our fund

any other ideas ?

Balaji

Hi Subalaji:
I already floated the idea of making members pay an annual membership fee, which could be used to support our causes and to take care of administrative expenses. This could be $10/yearly for people in the US and Rs.250 for people in India. (or something like that). We could setup something like paypal to make it easier for people to contribute (or even credit cards).
Instead of asking members to help out when the need arises, we could establish a general fund for the help of needy Brahmins.

Your views and comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Member ship fee

Hi Silverfox,

I feel we should not say membership fee as we want more and more people to join this site and contribute whatever they can , even posting useful info and suggestions are very helpful.

We should just request members and all people we know to voluntarily put money independent of membership to this site is my opinion

The issue is who will distribute , we need more volunteers in chennai and other cities in south

Regards
Balaji

I want to know if I can form an email alias for all volunteers and circulate emails among us , this is because some people feel it is breach of privacy
However this is the only easy way we can communicate is my opinion

So may be we can have seperate email ids for this

Balaji

Hi Balaji

That is a good idea. But I am not sure why some members feel this is a breach of privacy. We are all volunteers here trying to help out and one way of communication (sometimes the only way ;) is email. However, if some members do feel that this is in someway breaching their privacy, they can get some free email from yahoo or google and use that for thier volunteer activities. That way it would be separate. Just my thoughts

Okay folks. I am proposing a conference call/chat for all volunteers. The agenda is to discuss the following

1. Where we are at this moment in registering as an org
2. What is the next step ? Floating a fund ?
3. How do we intend to identify beneficiaries and how many beneficiaries are we targetting ?
4. Volunteers for collection drive

Hopefully Praveen and Balaji can provide us more updates on the issues. Also it would be a good idea if volunteers from all different countries can join and provide more suggestions.

I am not sure if I can conference more than 4 people using Skype or any other net phone s/w. Probably a chat on AIM or yahoo might be better. Please let me know what you friends think.

I can arrange my schedule to accomodate Indian timings. Please let me know what would be a good time. But we need to agree on the mode on contact and time.

As usual please feel free to criticize/comment.

For all US volunteers I am sending a separate private message so that we can try to have a call sometime tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi Rxrajamo/Subalaji:

How about having a separate thread that could only be accessed by the designated volunteers? This way, all of us, volunteers get to see what others have to say. Just a thought.

Personally, I have no qualms giving out my email id to other volunteers.

Good idea Silever fox . In that case a probably a separate yahoo groups or google groups would do. But I am still not sure why some members feel this is an invasion on their privacy. This is a purely volunteer activity.

US volunteers meeting 07/05/06 - notes

Hi all,

I had the pleasure of individually discussing with Mr. Iyengar & Mr.Silver Fox reg US volunteer activities. Mr. Iyengar could not join the conference call earlier because of thunderstorm activities in his area. My sincere thanks to both of them.

The following is a brief of what we discussed

1) We (US volunteers) would take active part in all activities of the forum.

2) We would work to increase awareness of our activities among other members of the community in USA.

3) We would also wholeheartedly help in all fund raising activities.

But we all look upto forum members & volunteers in India to translate all plans into action.

We are of the opinion that we need to have a net meeting with Pravin, Balaji and other volunteers in India to plan our org and future activities.
I have already sent an invitation to all volunteers in India and abroad to have a combined net meeting.

How about having one a couple of weeks from now ? Let us say on July 22nd, India time 7:30 am (US July 21st EST 10:00 pm; PST 7:00 pm). Hopefully Pravin will be back by then. Please let me know.

Ramki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back