• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Lizard-ology..

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee” – shouted Manjula.

In that early morning 5 AM that shout woke up almost the entire neighborhood. Before I reached the kitchen, windows on the opposite flats opened and people started asking what happened. Our calling bell started ringing.

First, I felt bit relaxed finding manjula in the dining hall in one piece. I was afraid, if she had hurt herself. At first look, she did not seem to have got hurt, at least externally. She was panting heavily. Her face was totally red with fear.

“What happened” – I asked her. For those of you, who don’t know, Manjula is my w(l)ife.

“Liz…Liz..” – she was swallowing half of what she was saying. Her body language spoke of repugnance. She was pointing her finger towards something.

“Oh Lizard..” – I breathed easy. A long black lizard was climbing up from the floor on the wall towards the ceiling. I understood what could have happened.

I opened our door. As neighbors came in, I convinced them there is nothing to worry. As they understood it is all about a lizard falling on manjula, they started returning back to their duties one by one.

“Don’t worry Manjula’ – I said “Yes. It is highly disgusting. I understand. But then it is part of our Indian life. We share our life with mosquitoes, houseflies, cockroaches, rats, lizards and so many other insects and animals.” – I said.

Manjula started cooling down. “Yes Yes…”- she said. “But… But…. Iam afraid”

“Why” – I asked.

“This big lizard fell on my head They say there is a meaning to lizard fall. Can u check what it is if Lizard falls on head for woman” – she said.

“We can do that “ – I said “But I wanted to tell you how all these things work”

“No… No” – she said “I don’t want your scientific explanations and denials. I just want to know what Saastras say or what most people understand of it”.

She rushed upto the phone and called her mom, early in that morning.

“Oh.” – she said “What is that dosham ?”- she asked over the phone.

“No.. No.. don’t call ur mom a dosham” – I said with an ignorant face.

“Stop joking” – Manjula said. She turned towards me and said “See it seems this is a Dosham called Palli (Lizard) Dosham. According to Palli Dosham, Lizard falls on head means death, or fear of death”.

Manjula’s face darkened, as she said it.

“Manju” – I said “Forget it and proceed with your daily chores. We are getting late”

“No.. No. You are always interested about getting your work done. Not worried at all about my health. That’s why I am consulting it with my parents over phone. If for a day you people get delayed, it is OK” – she said.

I understood the stress this Lizard fall caused on my wife. I know anything I say now will come back to me with double the vigor. So I kept quite and indeed joined the show.

“Is there any remedy..?” – I asked with a new found zeal.

“My mother’s knowledge is to take head-bath and lit lamp before starting any further. But she is in touch with my
Bangalore sister, who says Salt has to be offered as Naivedhiyam. My dad is talking to Pune aunty”- she said.

“Ah tell me dad” – she continued. After listening to him for sometime, she relayed it to me.

“But my pune aunty it seems is saying I should go to Kaanchi and touch the golden Lizard. Meanwhile My
Delhi cousin has told mom that if I touch a person who has touched the golden lizard, that is also OK.” – she said.

As she was speaking, she shouted “Wait.. Wait..Wait. My dad has an email from Chicago, from my maternal uncle. He has suggested a new remedy, it seems. Dad is reading it out”

“But.. it was just 10 minutes back, the Lizard fell on you..” – I mumbled “How come Bangalore, Delhi and Pune got alerted. And Obama too got in the loop”

“What did you say..?” – Manjula asked red with anger. She doesn’t like the Obama nick-name for her dark-skinned
U.S. uncle.

“No.. No..” – I denied “ I said On Maama, (your uncle in Tamil) not Obama”. “Find out what ‘On Maama’ (your uncle) is saying”

“Oh.. where is that place..” – my wife was asking. Then she said “ I will give it to him. Dictate the address to him. I am getting late for the daily work. Who bothers in this house about me..? Whatever happens, I have to do the morning work. None to console me or take part in my work. Even if I die, I have to die in this kitchen”

I took the phone. “There is this Adi Narayana Swami temple in Kodakanchi of Jinnaram mandal in Hyderabad. That temple also it seems has a golden Lizard. Cheena says you must visit the temple with Manjula immediately. That is the best remedy for Lizard fall” – My father in law said.

“He has some pending prayers in that temple or what..?” – I asked “I mean I was just saying if he has already visited the temple”.

“Ok..” – I said “No issues. We will make a list of all these remedies and execute them one by one. Thanks for all the troubles”. As I was about to keep the phone down, I could hear the shouts of my father-in-law not to keep in down.

“Yes maama” – I said.

“I just now got SMS from manjula’s hubli aunt (his sister) that the best remedy is to chant Gajendra Moksham from Srimad Bagavatham and offering Gur to Lakshmi Narayanar. You add this also in the list” – he said. “It is better than going to Jinnaram Mandal in Hyderabad”.

“How can you say that..?” – I could hear my mother-in-law questioning father-in-law. “He is not an illiterate like your sister. He is so much learned and if he says something then it has a huge meaning to it. In these days where is the time to recite Gajendra Moksham and all that. Visiting a temple is very easy”.

Before I could get another remedy from the other side, I kept the phone down and tip-toed to the washroom.

“Don’t worry Dear” – I told manjula. “Most astrology, palmistry, fortune-telling and future predictions work on a simple principle. You don’t need to break your head for that”

Manjula became extremely concerned at the prophecy of death. As I was starting to office, I could realize that she is extremely disturbed.

“You know, it is not that I want to live” – she said “I am only worried about the kids. They are too young”

“That’s true” – I said “In 10-15 years they will grow up and get married. Then also we will not be worried about our life. We will only be worried about our kid's kids”.

“No No” – she protested “I am not like you. The moment my kids grow up, Iam ready to go” – She said emotionally.

“See Manjula” – I said “Our brain has an ability to map, compare any two things and identify/develop some connection or relationship between them. Also unless ingrained and practiced our brain cannot reject anything. It always accepts more easily than it rejects. These two are the principles on which all this astrology and future-predictions work”.

“Don’t blabber” – said Manjula.

“No hear me out” – I said “Your brain will try to find a connection between the Lizard incident and any new event that is happening. It will try to connect and will raise a doubt, if this event is what the lizard fall fore-told. Since your brain can never reject anything strongly, rather it accepts, that connection will appear true to you or it will have the benefit of doubt. This is what future telling plays on. It can tell you anything and you will be able to identify/develop some relationship with what is happening and what was predicted”

“All over the world people believe that if lizard falls on head, it means death. There will be some reason to it”.

“No. It is not true” – I said “I read a book on Feng shui long time back. There lizard falling on head means you will get a fortune”.

“Really” – she asked?

“Yes” – I told her “See manjula. Whenever an astrology or palmistry foretells you something, our brain will try to map what is happening what the astrology or palmistry told. It will try to somehow extract a connection and since it cannot reject, it would rather accept or give the benefit of doubt to that connection”.

“No.. No. I don’t believe it” – said manjula.

“No. A good astrologer or palmist will say something that appears very clear at the top level. At the same time, they would put it in so many words that they can enable our mind to map and find some connection between what they say and what happens really. That is the real art of astrology and future-prediction”.

“But Feng Shui says I will get a fortune. Palli Dosham says that death will happen. They are very clear in what they are foretelling. Any one thing only can happen. There is nothing really to map in this, for our brain. It is so straight-forward. Either these happen or they don’t happen” – she said.

As usual she had the last word.

When I came back that night, Manjula was very happy. She said “You know that Feng shui prediction has come true. Today when I went to office, I found that our performance linked increment has been cleared by management. In fact we got the order to distribute the cheques today itself. I got Rs. 8000. Nobody expected it will happen so fast”.

“Great” – I said “Chinese Feng shu is working wonders. So that’s why you seem to be so happy”

“Yes.. Yes.. but I think the Indian Palli dosham is also correct in a way. I need to perform all the remedies one by one” – she said

“But why..?” – I asked.

“Today when Neela (our maid-servant) was arranging the washed up utensils, she accidentally dropped an utensil on that Lizard that has been moving around in our Kitchen. It got smashed on the spot. So I think we have a dosham now and it needs to be cured” – she said.

“Oh.. so the death in our Saastra is meant for the Lizard..?” – I asked.”Palli dosham means dosham that occurs to us due to the death of Lizard. Lizard fell on your head and put the head (put the head means dead in Tamil)”

“May be that also” – she said “It is better to carry out the remedies, since I have incurred the dosham (wrath) of Lizard's death. Can you tell me the name of the Feng Shui book you read. All my friends wanted to read it too. It is too accurate to be true. All your theories of brain mapping the incidents are wrong. Feng shui said I will get a fortune. I got PLI money. Palli Dosham said death will happen. And indeed death happened.”

“I will tell you” – I said “I have to remember it. I don’t remember the author. I will search for it”

“Forgive me feng shui”- I thought. “To compensate for this lie, I will write a book on Feng Shui astrology myself, after I gain some experience with palli dosham”

-TBT

Last edited:
Does the lizard know how to click???? :confused:

How on earth will a thread with

2 replies and 122 views get 3 *s??? :shocked:

Or it it our narrator friend??? :decision:

Last edited:
It must be that one member who liked it so much that
icon3.png

he turned trigger (magic-wand) happy !!!***

It is somehow believed that a lizard falling on one's head predicts 'death'!

But these are the predictions and nowhere 'death' is mentioned!! :nono:

பல்லி விழும் பலன்

தலையின் இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்துன்பம்
தலையின் வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்கலகம்
நெற்றியின் இடது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்கீர்த்தி
நெற்றியின் வலது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்லக்ஷ்மிகரம்
வயிறின் இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்
மகிழ்ச்சி
வயிறின் வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்
தானியம்
முதுகு ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்நஷ்டம்
முதுகு ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்கவலை
கண் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்பயம்
கண்; வலது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்சுகம்
தோல் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வெற்றி
தோல் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வெற்றி
பிருஷ்டம் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்செல்வம்
பிருஷ்டம் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்சுகம்
கபாலம் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வரவு
கபாலம் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வரவு
கணுக்கால் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்
பயணம்
கணுக்கால் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்செலவு
மூக்கு ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி-விழுந்தால்
கவலை
மூக்கு ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வியாதி
மணிக்கட்டு ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி-விழுந்தால்கீர்த்தி
மணிக்கட்டு ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்பீடை
தொடை ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்சஞ்சலம்
தொடை ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்சஞ்சலம்
நகம் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்நஷ்டம்
நகம் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்
செலவு
காது ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்லாபம்
காது ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்ஆயுள்
மார்பு ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்சுகம்
மார்பு ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்லாபம்
கழுத்து ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்
வெற்றி
கழுத்து ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்பகை

I don't understand the difference between
தலை and கபாலம்!

Does the second one mean bald head? :confused:

Does the lizard knows how to click???? :confused:

How on earth will a thread with

2 replies and 122 views get 3 *s??? :shocked:

Or it it our narrator friend??? :decision:

Dear VR

I am also not sure how this *** system works here. Is that supposed to be rating..?

To my knowledge I did not click anything anywhere. I got 2 likes only for it, if I remember right..

-TBT

Dear VR

I am also not sure how this *** system works here. Is that supposed to be rating..?

To my knowledge I did not click anything anywhere. I got 2 likes only for it, if I remember right..

-TBT

This story of mine got translated into Telugu and was published in Andhra Jyoti and I got a lot of 'likes' for it..
:)

-TBT

It is somehow believed that a lizard falling on one's head predicts 'death'!

But these are the predictions and nowhere 'death' is mentioned!! :nono:

பல்லி விழும் பலன்

தலையின் இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்துன்பம்
தலையின் வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்கலகம்
நெற்றியின் இடது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்கீர்த்தி
நெற்றியின் வலது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்லக்ஷ்மிகரம்
வயிறின் இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்மகிழ்ச்சி
வயிறின் வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்தானியம்
முதுகு ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்நஷ்டம்
முதுகு ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்கவலை
கண் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்பயம்
கண்; வலது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்சுகம்
தோல் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வெற்றி
தோல் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வெற்றி
பிருஷ்டம் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்செல்வம்
பிருஷ்டம் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லிவிழுந்தால்சுகம்
கபாலம் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வரவு
கபாலம் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வரவு
கணுக்கால் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்
பயணம்
கணுக்கால் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்செலவு
மூக்கு ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி-விழுந்தால்
கவலை
மூக்கு ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்வியாதி
மணிக்கட்டு ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி-விழுந்தால்கீர்த்தி
மணிக்கட்டு ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்பீடை
தொடை ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்சஞ்சலம்
தொடை ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்சஞ்சலம்
நகம் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்நஷ்டம்
நகம் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்
செலவு
காது ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்லாபம்
காது ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்ஆயுள்
மார்பு ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்சுகம்
மார்பு ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்லாபம்
கழுத்து ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்
வெற்றி
கழுத்து ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால்பகை

Lizard Dhosham

Top Head - Fear of Death.

-TBT

I think A.P fellows love lizards apparently!!! :clap2:

Planning to post the story in any other language sir??? :)

Well, if someone comes forward to translate it..

I don't know Telugu even.. It was translated into Telugu by one of the known writers in Telugu.. And many of my stories have been published, not just this..

-TBT

Head is Thalai and Skull is Kabalam..
Ok! Then how can a lizard fall on கபாலம்?? :scared:

Ref:

கபாலம் ; இடது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால் வரவு.

கபாலம் ; வலது பக்கம் பல்லி விழுந்தால் வரவு.

Well, if someone comes forward to translate it..

I don't know Telugu even.. It was translated into Telugu by one of the known writers in Telugu.. And many of my stories have been published, not just this..

-TBT

How can you be sure that the translator did not add his own masaala to the already spicy story???

There were several offers to translate my blog of proverbs
East meets West in German and some other languages.

I resisted constantly since I do not know German and will never be able to check out the authenticity of the translation.

I have already heard the story of how the proverb
"Out of sight out of mind" got mutilated to "Blind Lunatic"
when it was translated from English to Russian and again back to English.

....... the authenticity of the translation

Very true dear Sis! I hope my friends are NOT 'google translating' the pages I write in Tamil!

Here is a sample:

நல்லவை கற்க வேண்டும்!

உலகில் கற்றிட நல்லவை உண்டு;

எளிதில் கற்றிட அல்லவை உண்டு!

நல்லவை நாடிக் கற்க வேண்டுமென
நன்கு உணர்த்த, அன்னை சரஸ்வதி,

நீர் கலந்த பாலிலும், பாலைப் பிரித்து
வேறாக்கி உண்ணும் என்று எண்ணும்

அன்னப் பறவையை வாகனமாக்கித்
தன்னுடன் வைத்துக் கொண்டாளோ?

The translation:
-----------------

Should be good to learn!

karrita in the world is good,

is not easily karrita!

good seek to learn
the show, Mother Saraswati,

Bali mixed with water, milk, divided
verakki think that eating

a swan vakanamakkit
had with her?

:faint:

How can you be sure that the translator did not add his own masaala to the already spicy story???

There were several offers to translate my blog of proverbs
East meets West in German and some other languages.

I resisted constantly since I do not know German and will never be able to check out the authenticity of the translation.

I have already heard the story of how the proverb
"Out of sight out of mind" got mutilated to "Blind Lunatic"
when it was translated from English to Russian and again back to English.

No, I have friends who know Telugu and they have confirmed to me that it is a word by word translation with no addition. The story will appear with my name as the original author and "translated by " the one who translated it..

Till now my story tranlsations are only word by word. Ofcourse the author who does it is renowned for translations..

:)

-TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back