• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Seed of Thought (Social drinking by women and men)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on a conversation that I had with my daughter few years back

"Dad, I have to complete this project" - said Sujatha. "I filled up the pot with good quality soil, laid the seed, sprinkled water daily etc.. but the seed has not germinated".

"Did u ensure that the pot has a hole..?" - Sujatha's dad asked her. Sujatha studies in IX std and is in her teens. She has to grow a plant in a pot for her EVS project, in her school.

"Yes'pa.. I had bought that pot. It is filled with Sand at the bottom and rich soil on top. The seeds were also bought from the Nursery. I had followed all the procedures, they told me.." - Sujatha said.

"Ok.. what do you want me to do now..?" - Her dad asked.

"Let us buy a pot with plant and complete the project. I thought I will do this activity truly and not for namesake like others. Everybody else has simply bought a plant-pot and showed it. I wanted to really do the activity. But it seems, I have to follow the same stupid way others are following" - Sujatha said.

"Ok. Don't worry.. I will buy you one.. But u keep watering the pot. Sometimes the seed may germinate slowly, due to other reasons.." - Her dad said.

"Really..? Anyway for immediate needs, we will buy one. But dad, will a seed really germinate after long time..?" - Sujatha asked.

"Why not ?" - her dad said "Sometimes a seed may take a long time to germinate, until a favorable climate exists. It is like our mind. Thoughts that are sown in our mind, with or without our knowledge, germinate after a long time, during favorable conditions and change the way we live"

"Uff.. started again ur lectures.." - said Sujatha "Please.. let me do this project dad. You always speak like our correspondent, who lectures us daily, in the assembly hall, on so many virtues. We are just fed up with all those lectures."

"Well.. We are same" - her dad said "We lecture in the hope of seeding some thoughts in your mind, even when we understand that you do not appreciate it fully, in the hope that these seeds will germinate after a long time and help your life"..

"Stop.. Stop.. Stop" -Sujatha said "Please pardon me.. I have other things to do. I will keep this pot on the terrace."

As sujatha got into her room, her mom came out. "Why are you lecturing our girl every time. She will totally stop listening to you, like her school girls have done to their correspondent. Now-a-days kids don't want to be lectured or taught. You have to understand this"

"But.. But.. I didn't do any lecture.. I just stated some facts.." - her dad said.

"She has to do so much homework, extra-curricular activities etc. Why are you further burdening her with your thoughts. Let her go to the world and understand it the way she wants. Not only you, your father, mother everybody lectures her on do's and don'ts. You people have to stop it. Otherwise she will stop communicating with us" - her mom said

"Ok..Ok..Ok.." - sujatha's dad heaved a sigh. "It is enough for today. We have been fighting this battle for long. "

"I myself is getting bored with your lectures. What to say about the kids..?" - said her mom. As usual she had the last word.

Several months passed.

That day, Sujatha and her family assembled in the dinner table. They started talking about various things.

"I am really sorry for our Mani. He has become a drunkard and his family is suffering. He used to be the boss of a company. But it is bad times for him. Unable to come out of his problems, he has artificially immersed himself in liquor. That's why I prescribe abstention from evils such as drinking rather than 'safe' or 'limited' indulgence, which Mani used to do." - said Sujatha's dad.

Mani is his friend, who ran a business successfully for long time, but has gone broke now.

"Dad.. You still live in stone age. Mom is right. Spare us your lectures. We know what is right and wrong. You say drinking is wrong. But most dad's today drink. There is nothing wrong in it. You try to influence your own opinions on others directly or indirectly" - said Sujatha.

"What did you say..?" - Sujatha's dad pounced on her statement. "Are you saying drinking is right. Who taught you this..? Is it your school..?". He was taken aback by Sujatha's protest on his simple statement.

"Oh.. Dad.. I know it. Dad's of most girls in my school drink. For that matter, you know Nivedha, her mom also drinks. There is nothing wrong in it. You are trying to make a personal issue blow out of proportion to precipitate your own morals" - Sujatha said.

"Dear Sujatha" - her dad said "I have always encouraged you to think, talk and understand the world. But you cannot justify an evil act, by saying most people are doing it. It is still evil. And that too a mom drinking in front of her daughter is a heinous crime".

"Dad.. I have discussed this enough with my friends. Their parents are not drunkards. It is what they call 'Social drinking' dad. Why do anyone need to worry about drinking habit of a person, which is an individual wish. In your age, society interfered with its own rules on individual opinions. No longer so. This is the age of freedom and liberty, dad" - Sujatha said.

"Sujatha, you are not a kid. I know you talk more advanced than your age. But you should know there are many things that you don't understand in this society. So don't frame opinions now itself' - her dad said.

"Dad.." - sujatha cried "In my school, in VI std itself, girls started talking so many things. We are not like what you think. This society is different dad from your days. So don't impose your ideas on us".

"Are you sure, Nivedha's mom drinks in Nivedha's presence" - Sujatha's dad asked

"Yes dad. Sure" - Said sujatha. "Mind you. There is nothing in wrong in a women drinking. She is not a drunkard. It is just social drinking. She drinks in some social gatherings. That is all."

"Do you mean to say, that when you grow up, you will drink..?" - Sujatha's dad asked "Do you know what is our culture..? Is this the way you should grow up..?"

"Well I don't know dad, if I would drink. I did not say I will. Nor am I saying I won't. But I can say, there is nothing wrong, if I do so" - Sujatha said.

"Oh.." - Sujatha's dad threw up his hands exasperated. "Hey sujatha's mom, how do you teach your girl our culture..? Or you also support her and want to indulge in social drinking ?" - Sujatha's dad asked her mom angrily.

"Sujatha is a kid. She is talking too much. That is all. Why we have to un-neccessarily debate the topic of drinking now. None in our culture can even think of doing that. Let us stop this conversation and talk something better" - her mom said.

"No.." - protested Sujatha's dad. "We must discuss it. I cannot allow my daughter to grow up with wrong notions. It will spoil her future."

"Sujatha say sorry to Dad" - said Sujatha's mom. "And let us close this chapter"

"Sundari, you are spoiling the kid" - said Sujatha's dad. "Sujatha.. drinking is bad, whether it is regular drinking or social drinking. And drinking by women is absolutely bad. It is against the very ethos of our culture."

"Why?" - asked Sujatha.

"Drinking causes your mind to be blocked and dulls your senses. It is mentally bad. It is also bad for health" - said Sujatha's dad.

"That is only regular drinking, Dad. Not social drinking. That's what I am saying. Society has changed. You have not. For you drinking means only regular and not social. In your times such a concept was not there, probably" - said Sujatha "Hence you cannot paint everybody with the same brush".

"No Sujatha dear. Believe me. There is nothing like social drinking. Every habit that we develop is like the seed that we have planted in our mind. It may not grow on us and consume ourself immediately. But at a favorable time for itself, the habit will grow out and consume ourself. People fool themselves with such concepts. Many do not get into such favorable conditions and hence the danger does not dawn on them. Many get into that situation and it kills them"- Sujtha's dad made a passionate explanation.

"And Mani is an example of it" - he added, after a pause.

"You have started lecturing again dad. You are trying to connect two unrelated things and arrive at an explanation. In fact, in The Hindu Newspaper, I read an article that said low quantities of red wine is good for health and avoids heart attack" - said Sujatha.

"Even there are reports stating coffee prevents cancer etc, which were all found to be false over a period. Once upon a time, cigarettes were talked about as beneficial. Filter Cigarettes were portrayed as 'safe'. These are all marketing myth. It is proven now. You won't understand all these now" - said Sujatha's dad.
"And drinking kills the spirit of joy in a family"

"No dad.."- said Sujatha "Nivedha's family is rich and happy. No problems. She has no complaints on her parents. As long as it is controlled, there is no issue"

"No Sujatha dear.. There is an issue much more than just joy. Drinking promotes the habit of personal pleasure and gratification at the expense of others. When a woman with a daughter like Nivedha drinks, she is compromising on her kid's future for her own personal joy. Such women will have no respect for elders, parents, in-laws, relatives and the entire family. She will be individualistic. It goes against our culture"- said Sujatha's dad.

"Again.. this is lecture dad" - Sujatha said. "We all saw that film know "Unnale Unnale". There would be a scene there where the second heroine and the hero will share a drink and she will even become tipsy. That character will go on to marry the hero and take up family responsibilities. That drinking is just fun and joy dad. Why make a big issue out of it?"

"Well I will tell you only one thing Sujatha" - her dad said "If you believe me, do not seed such thoughts which puts evil acts such as drinking in a positive light in your mind at this tender age. At this age, you cannot decide, which is good or evil. Such hidden thoughts in your mind may bloom later on when you are grown up and can make you uncontrollable. Instead, if you seed yourself with thoughts, which are more in line with our culture, you will find yourself to be better managed"

"All this seeding, blooming are all your own wishful thinking" - said Sujatha. "Can a seed germinate after several years. Does it make sense..? Is there any logic? Like-wise just because I do not consider drinking negative, do you think, I will start drinking in my later years? Or if I think of drinking in negative way now, what is the guarantee that I will not drink? You are telling me some Jurassic park story Dad. I was talking about social drinking that my friend's parents indulge in, which I see as harmless and this is what I also see in many movies. That is all to it"

"Well.. I do not know of any other way to tell you. I can just tell you that social drinking by males and females is a fad. Stop seeding such thoughts in your mind" - said Sujatha's dad."I want my entire brain and experience to come into you to make you see what I see. But I cannot do it. Anyway, let us stop it here and have more discussions later. Where have your kept your flower-pot?"

"I had kept it in terrace" - said Sujatha. "But I have not looked at it for long time"

"So what happened to the seed? Did it germinate?" - Sujatha's dad asked

"Oh.." - said Sujatha "It didn't Dad. I was watering it for quite sometime, following your advice. But I left it, after that. Nothing came out then, so I am sure nothing would have come out now. It is just like that social drinking Dad. Will never come again on its own, unless you decide to voluntarily bring it up again. Or like that negative seed of thought I am sowing in myself, according to you. Unlike what u said, that seed is gone forever. It will not resurrect and haunt me later. Indeed, I had forgotten about that pot totally, till u reminded me now." - Sujatha smiled.

Sujatha and her dad went to the terrace after dinner.

As Sujatha saw her pot, her face became dark. She stood motionless looking at the pot. Due to continuous rains in the last few weeks, the seed has indeed germinated and a tiny tip of the plant was trying to look at the world, piercing through the soil, after several months.

-TBT

Sujatha and her dad went to the terrace after dinner.

As Sujatha saw her pot, her face became dark. She stood motionless looking at the pot. Due to continuous rains in the last few weeks, the seed has indeed germinated and a tiny tip of the plant was trying to look at the world, piercing through the soil, after several months.

-TBT

When it rains water..plants grow.

When it rains alcohol embryos grow!LOL(Alcohol increases passion)

So either way when ever it rains something..something grows!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Sir,

I really have a question for you.

Since you feel drinking alcohol is not Hindu/Brahmin culture etc..I want to ask a point blank question here..

According to religion and true vedic culture we humans are supposed to copulate only for procreation and not for recreation.

So going by that..hardly anyone follows this rule.

Life of a house holder does not mean "Yoo Hoo it's free sex on the house" but the life of a house holder means that a person has regulated sex for begetting progeny only.

When this basic thing itself none of us follow..so all of us will land in hell along with all the alcoholics!LOL

So live and let live yaar..there is no 100% right and 100% wrong in this world.

Dear Sir,

I really have a question for you.

Since you feel drinking alcohol is not Hindu/Brahmin culture etc..I want to ask a point blank question here..

According to religion and true vedic culture we humans are supposed to copulate only for procreation and not for recreation.

So going by that..hardly anyone follows this rule.

Life of a house holder does not mean "Yoo Hoo it's free sex on the house" but the life of a house holder means that a person has regulated sex for begetting progeny only.

When this basic thing itself none of us follow..so all of us will land in hell along with all the alcoholics!LOL

So live and let live yaar..there is no 100% right and 100% wrong in this world.

Dear Mam,

0. The subject of my write-up was how thoughts that are seeded in mind bloom later and end up influencing us and hence the need for us to seed ourselves with good thoughts.

1. Can u quote a vedic scripture that says 'Sex is only for procreation and not recreation or in other words one should not enjoy sex'..?

2. All cultures in the world prescribe sex within an institution such as marriage. Within that institution both partners can seek the pleasures of life as they wish. That is Grhastasrama. The reason they do so is for soceital responsibilities.

I am not aware of any scriptures or strictures that prohibits pleasure in grahastasrama to so many times, so many days, so many ways..

3. Sex between a couple in a marriage is an expression of (Developing) Love on each other. The Object of Sex is the spouse and subject is sex. It happens as a medium of communication of love with spouse. A Grhasta should understand it.

Our elders advise us against making spouse as subject and sex as object. Because in that case a person will start going after sex and end up trying on different subjects, spoiling the dharma of grhastasrama.

Hence they advise us to channelize our desires on our spouse and live a life of dharma doing our duties and be responsible to society.

-TBT

When it rains water..plants grow.

When it rains alcohol embryos grow!LOL(Alcohol increases passion)

So either way when ever it rains something..something grows!LOL

Alcohol does not increase passion. It is a depressant, inhibits testosterone levels, affects performance in males. It is just that it removes inhibition.

-TBT

Alcohol does not increase passion. It is a depressant, inhibits testosterone levels, affects performance in males. It is just that it removes inhibition.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

Technically per text book you are right but as a doctor I have seen most of those who consume alcohol on regular basis have many children and are always full of passion that they might actually re write the Kama Sutra!LOL

Dear Mam,

0. The subject of my write-up was how thoughts that are seeded in mind bloom later and end up influencing us and hence the need for us to seed ourselves with good thoughts.

1. Can u quote a vedic scripture that says 'Sex is only for procreation and not recreation or in other words one should not enjoy sex'..?

2. All cultures in the world prescribe sex within an institution such as marriage. Within that institution both partners can seek the pleasures of life as they wish. That is Grhastasrama. The reason they do so is for soceital responsibilities.

I am not aware of any scriptures or strictures that prohibits pleasure in grahastasrama to so many times, so many days, so many ways..

3. Sex between a couple in a marriage is an expression of (Developing) Love on each other. The Object of Sex is the spouse and subject is sex. It happens as a medium of communication of love with spouse. A Grhasta should understand it.

Our elders advise us against making spouse as subject and sex as object. Because in that case a person will start going after sex and end up trying on different subjects, spoiling the dharma of grhastasrama.

Hence they advise us to channelize our desires on our spouse and live a life of dharma doing our duties and be responsible to society.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

I have read one book by Srila Prabhupada before where he has said that sex used for procreation is a virtue and should not be used for recreation.

I also remember reading a book where Swami Yogananda said his parents only used sex for procreation and not for pleasure.

Dear Sir,

Technically per text book you are right but as a doctor I have seen most of those who consume alcohol on regular basis have many children and are always full of passion that they might actually re write the Kama Sutra!LOL

Pity their wives.. :)

-TBT

Dear Sir,

I have read one book by Srila Prabhupada before where he has said that sex used for procreation is a virtue and should not be used for recreation.

I also remember reading a book where Swami Yogananda said his parents only used sex for procreation and not for pleasure.

I agree that Srila Prabupada's words can be interpreted like u said.

I would interpret that procreation as 'love for your wife that could end up in kids' and recreation as 'lust with other women just for pleasure sake'.

In any case it is not from any vedic scriptures. It is from Srila Prabupada's interpretation of bhagavad gita. At the same time, I admire him and see him as a great person.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

I think the whole idea of your write up is to prove that seeds of thoughts can sprout when the environment is conducive.

So you feel the seeds of alcohol should not be planted ever..so that means any form of so called negativity should not cross our mind ever?

We can not shut our mind out totally..there are a lot of signals that enter our subconscious.
We are walking Broadband Modems.

That is why God gave us Viveka so that we can filter what is good for us.

That God let's us learn by trial and error and there is not rule that we should not even think of alcohol.

Is there any line from the Vedas that says "Thou shall not think of alcohol?"

You know sometimes too much suppression leads to over indulgence in our next life!

In Treta Yuga Lakshmana was the ever law abiding person and check him out in Dwarpara Yuga.. as Balarama he was happily guzzling alcohol!

So dear sir..who knows in your next birth..you could be happily guzzling alcohol too!LOL

Last edited:
Nope they are not complaining!LOL
Some even brag about their husbands!

That I don't know.

From my experience of working in a de-addiction center, I can see that drunken men are of no use to women in any way and that is one reason why newly married men land up in the center. It is all one sided affairs..

However if women are also drunk it is a different story, as alcohol gets in late, but sustains longer enhancing the pleasure effects in women.

In any case, I hope people understand alcohol and aphrodisiacs are different...

-TBT

-TBT

However if women are also drunk it is a different story, as alcohol gets in late, but sustains longer enhancing the pleasure effects in women.
-TBT

-TBT

Dear Sir,

I didn't know this..should spread this around to all ladies I know! Ha Ha Ha

See your alcohol post is going to plants seeds in many ladies mind's soon!
So it is all your fault!LOL

Dear Sir,

I think the whole idea of your write up is to prove that seeds of thoughts can sprout when the environment is conducive.

So you feel the seeds of alcohol should not be planted ever..so that means any form of so called negativity should not cross our mind ever?

We can not shut our mind out totally..there are a lot of signals that enter our subconscious.
We are walking Broadband Modems.

That is why God gave us Viveka so that we can filter what is good for us.

That God let's us learn by trial and error and there is not rule that we should not even think of alcohol.

Is there any line from the Vedas that says "Thou shall not think of alcohol?"

You know sometimes too much suppression leads to over indulgence in our next life!

In Treta Yuga Lakshmana was the ever law abiding person and check him out in Dwarpara Yuga.. as Balarama he was happily guzzling alcohol!

So dear sir..who knows in your next birth..you could be happily guzzling alcohol too!LOL

Well no..

My point was we should seed our mind with thoughts that are more in line with our culture when we are young.

Let's say u grow up thinking alcohol is bad. You grow up and land up in circumstances that u get into drinking alcohol. At that time ur thoughts will protect you from it or atleast help u control over it.

This is one of the reasons why we have an age-limit for drinking. Ofcourse I think age-limit for drinking should be raised to 25 as in Maharashtra. If people get into alcohol at later ages, they can get out or remain moderate.

Our thoughts are like seeds that are waiting to germinate and grow on us at the right time. So what we sow, we reap..

-TBT

Dear Sir,

I didn't know this..should spread this around to all ladies I know! Ha Ha Ha

See your alcohol post is going to plants seeds in many ladies mind's soon!
So it is all your fault!LOL

Ok, in that case let them read this too. Studies show that women should not drink during pregnancy (teratogen) and menstrual cycles (high levels of intoxication) . If they drink at other times, they are TWICE susceptible than men for liver and lung diseases.

Alcohol devastates women more than men and affects their puberty, growth and most important bone health.

So technically, alcohol is a no-no for women in general..
-TBT

Well no..

My point was we should seed our mind with thoughts that are more in line with our culture when we are young.

Let's say u grow up thinking alcohol is bad. You grow up and land up in circumstances that u get into drinking alcohol. At that time ur thoughts will protect you from it or atleast help u control over it.

This is one of the reasons why we have an age-limit for drinking. Ofcourse I think age-limit for drinking should be raised to 25 as in Maharashtra. If people get into alcohol at later ages, they can get out or remain moderate.

Our thoughts are like seeds that are waiting to germinate and grow on us at the right time. So what we sow, we reap..

-TBT

Dear Sir,

From a personal point of view I feel we should not tell children this is bad that is bad so don't do that.
That only increases the curiosity and once they are let loose into the world..hell can break loose.

It is better to explain about anything as side effect of an act.

Like telling them side effect of alcohol/smoking etc just like how we explain to a patient about side effect of not adhering to a healthy lifestyle.

If we straight away say things like "stay away..that is not our culture" believe me kids are going to drink and smoke even pot!

So it is the approach....we should not make anything sound like a sin.

Just use the words Side Effects.

Ok, in that case let them read this too. Studies show that women should not drink during pregnancy (teratogen) and menstrual cycles (high levels of intoxication) . If they drink at other times, they are TWICE susceptible than men for liver and lung diseases.

Alcohol devastates women more than men and affects their puberty, growth and most important bone health.

So technically, alcohol is a no-no for women in general..
-TBT

Dear Sir,

The crowd I was talking about is pre menopausal or menopausal and are already osteoporitic!

So no more menstrual cycles, no more pregnancies.

Their lungs are strong enough and well developed of years of shouting at their husbands and liver equally strong of years of metabolizing married life up and downs!

So let them have some fun before they kick the bucket!

Hi,

Talking of alcohol, I have drunk many varieties and brands but since I am not a connoisseur nor a drinker now for the last more than 30 years or so, I don't remember any of the brands. But whisky, rum, gin and Brandy, yes I have consumed.

As many of you know, i belong to a conservative tabra family and all these drinking parties were part of the official tours we used to have, sometimes with my assistants and sometimes with my superior officers also as part of the 'team'. I never felt attracted by the drinks and as time passed, I developed a strong dislike towards it. But a small peg and then smoking a cigarette after that used to be enjoyable for me. As to libido, I did not feel any change, imo.

As to seed of thought theory, I believe that even the kind of thought/s which our mind finds most attractive is based on our karma/s of the past. Hence, only when there is a very congenial soil in a person's mind, will the seed grow and this congeniality depends on one's karma. If, with the help of viveka, one keeps attractive but harmful seeds of thought away from one's mind, it will be possible to escape one's past karma bringing harm upon oneself. But that depends upon whether the said person possesses the necessary viveka.

Drinking per se is not either good or bad (though it may be fashionable). We need not make a big issue about drinking or its reverse - the undesirability of being a strict teetotaler, in my view.

The concept of this OP, IMPOV ,Parents be a good role model to your kids. discuss the ill-effects,adverse effects of health towards any habits.do not justify any habit as no problem just because we do it. let we guide them properly, if later they come across / catch up ,they know their effects. Since consuming alcohol by a women /girl is not easy to accept pertain to INDIA, not only by culture means but also medical field, as women are / should be healthy to welcome a good healthy generation in future.I discuss in general terms of indian culture and not comment on westerns.

Last edited:
Personally I feel it is up to anyone to decide if they want to drink or not.

It is not becos of culture that I do not take alcohol...it is becos it does cause bodily harm in the long run.

I feel we should weighs pros and cons based on effect and side effect of a particular action and nor just becos culture says so.

We should not just follow culture like a sheep that leads a flock and then falls into pit and all the sheep at the back too fall into the pit.

Culture is not always 100% right cos culture evolves with time and what was right then might not be right now.

I remember reading a story before where Yudhisthira was sad that Kali Yuga was fast approaching cos he saw a man and woman talking on a street.

He was lamenting cos he felt it is not right for a woman to be out talking to a man in broad day light.

So that way..if we want to follow culture 100% all of us females should just be in the Antahpuram of our homes and play ball( most stories always say that ladies in the Antahpuram spend their evening playing ball..as far as I know game of ball did not originate from India..so I wonder what ball these woman used to play..well never mind!LOL)

So same way..culture is just a guide and not the absolute truth and from time to time new Fatwas can be created which would just over rule the old Fatwa.

People will find excuses to drink alcohol but if health reasons are emphasized then may be people might not want to drink.

So instead of always blah blah blah about culture why don't we just find solid medical reasons to deter people from drinking alcohol.

Last edited:
Personally I feel it is up to anyone to decide if they want to drink or not.

It is not becos of culture that I do not take alcohol...it is becos it does cause bodily harm in the long run.

I feel we should weighs pros and cons based on effect and side effect of a particular action and nor just becos culture says so.

We should not just follow culture like a sheep that leads a flock and then falls into pit and all the sheep at the back too fall into the pit.

Culture is not always 100% right cos culture evolves with time and what was right then might not be right now.

I remember reading a story before where Yudhisthira was sad that Kali Yuga was fast approaching cos he saw a man and woman talking on a street.

He was lamenting cos he felt it is not right for a woman to be out talking to a man in broad day light.

So that way..if we want to follow culture 100% all of us females should just be in the Antahpuram of our homes and play ball( most stories always say that ladies in the Antahpuram spend their evening playing ball..as far as I know game of ball did not originate from India..so I wonder what ball these woman used to play..well never mind!LOL)

So same way..culture is just a guide and not the absolute truth and from time to time new Fatwas can be created which would just over rule the old Fatwa.

People will find excuses to drink alcohol but if health reasons are emphasized then may be people might not want to drink.

So instead of always blah blah blah about culture why don't we just find solid medical reasons to deter people from drinking alcohol.

Science is latest wisdom. Culture is collective wisdom from the past. We need to be using both appropriately.

When I was a kid, Smoking was a hep thing. People smoked for style and pleasure. Science did not tell us that it causes harm.

Even when the ill-effects of smoking started coming out, tobacco companies brought in filter-cigarettes and they were marketed as 'Safe'. Commercialism overran real science for long time. Many Indians were taken in by the 'science' of filter cigarettes.

Finally when science emerged back after a huge amount of lung cancer deaths in Europe and US, it was too late. We had several generations of Indians addicted to smoking and remain a growing market for tobacco products.

So science changes. As i grew up, as my friends started smoking following the style of Rajini-kanth and for pleasure, it my culture at home that told me not to follow it. I stayed out of it. Today as they struggle with various diseases and trying hard to get out, I remain free of it. I thank my culture.

-TBT

Science is latest wisdom. Culture is collective wisdom from the past. We need to be using both appropriately.

When I was a kid, Smoking was a hep thing. People smoked for style and pleasure. Science did not tell us that it causes harm.

Even when the ill-effects of smoking started coming out, tobacco companies brought in filter-cigarettes and they were marketed as 'Safe'. Commercialism overran real science for long time. Many Indians were taken in by the 'science' of filter cigarettes.

Finally when science emerged back after a huge amount of lung cancer deaths in Europe and US, it was too late. We had several generations of Indians addicted to smoking and remain a growing market for tobacco products.

So science changes. As i grew up, as my friends started smoking following the style of Rajini-kanth and for pleasure, it my culture at home that told me not to follow it. I stayed out of it. Today as they struggle with various diseases and trying hard to get out, I remain free of it. I thank my culture.

-TBT

Dear Sir,

Staying away from smoking and drinking does help maintain health but it does not prevent death.

Life is a challenge that has to be faced by us using our Viveka and not be merely having a Ba Ba Black Sheep Syndrome and say Yes Sir Yes Sir 3 bags full when in reality there might be 4 bags in front of our eyes.

As I said before one should not blindly follow culture without thinking.
Following things blindly only makes stereotype brain dead individuals.
How boring would the world be?

hi
i like to say something more....SURAA PAANAM/MEAT OFFERING TO YAJNAM ......these are part of early hindu culture...everything

was modarate ...always good for healthy too..but it became polluted later became addiction...its bad for health and society too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back