• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Five W's

Status
Not open for further replies.

drb

In the hopes of requesting elite members of this forum to share their knowledge, I thought of starting a thread while I am in the quest of gaining some perspective on our culture. I sincerely, hope fellow forumers would help me out and it is much appreciated.

Although, all the 5 W's (Five Ws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) won't apply in many instances, I thought that may be a good start to understand the practices of our culture.

PS: A kind request to admin, please do not close this thread, I have lots of questions and more that keeps coming up and would like to request help in a single thread. Also, hoping that this may help others who are on the same wavelength like me. Thanks.

With the upcoming Maha sankranti, because I am away from home, wondering what would I use to do the puja in terms of Statue or picture of Suriya Bhagavan. I do not have either. Can I just use Kalasam and carry on the rituals? Please let me know.

Dear Ss'ji,
It is the entire pooja as per Sampradhya vidhana pooja having poorvanga, prathana, uthranga and punar pooja sections. Thanks,

Dear S'sji,
Could you please let me know what you were about to say? This thread got cleaned up from unwanted posts as per my request to the admin. I saw your another response before the cleaning.

drb

I had written that you could do Pranaprathishta of the Devata in a Kalasam. This is mentioned in Viratha Puja Vidhnam by LIFCO.

I had written that you could do Pranaprathishta of the Devata in a Kalasam. This is mentioned in Viratha Puja Vidhnam by LIFCO.

Great!. I was thinking about it too. But not sure, if it was the right thing to do. Giri book too has it with pictures as on has to do several mudras (?) during that ritual.

Mudras are tricky. Our Sasthirigals are not into Mudras. If the book you refer to gives Mudras then practice them.

This site gives some of the basic Mudras.

Mudras for Puja - Devi Mandir

There are a number of Mudras used in Yoga. There is a Mudra called Visarjana Mudra which is used for visarjana.

Then there are Mantras for purifying the flowers, Asana and also the book that you are using.

Puja is a very interesting subject.

In temples, behind the moola vigrangaham, there will be a mirror (circular with many divisions) and a small lamp. Can somebody let me know
1. name
2. Significance.
3. Some Gods do not have that?

Sri. drb,

I would suggest changing the name of the thread. The members who can answer your questions do not see the thread because they do not understand the title.

The set of mirrors is used for enhancing the illumination of the lamp kept before it. This lights the Garba Graha.

Yes. it is too light the room, but wondering what would they call it? Is there a set rule for how many mirrors? and so on.
Changing the title - I shall put in a request to admin. Thanks,

In temples, behind the moola vigrangaham, there will be a mirror (circular with many divisions) and a small lamp. Can somebody let me know
1. name
2. Significance.
3. Some Gods do not have that?

I don't know its exact name but it is to mimic the supposed "halo" around the heads of divine beings, which is a long held belief, once again. Poorer temples (and Gods) who could not afford this luxury of an artificial halo, live without it. 40 or so years ago, even the Krishna temple in Kalady, Kerala was so poor that it had just one lamp in the practically dark garbha griha and no such "prabha", but I think things would have improved now.

My dad used to chant some mantram before he starts to eat and then once done. He does prokshanam with water as well.

Can somebody let me know what the mantram is and its meaning?

Found out the answer from a book.
It is பரிஷேசன மந்திரம். Thought to share, if any others had similar need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back