• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins eating non-vegeterian

Status
Not open for further replies.
:help: :( Hi all,

Most brahmin teenagers nowadays, started eating non vegeterian.This had drastically increased in brahmin families from all part of the state.I am from coimbatore and i have been to chennai and bangalore as i work in IT.Being a teenager myself have always followed and lived the life of a how a brahmin should be.But,I see a lot of my fellow men drinking along with other colleagues for the sake and to show themselves as they can mix with any kind of people and sometimes for getting promotions they do so.I do believe in a policy that think "It is better to die standing than to live kneeling"!.

I sometimes endup in arguements and atlast i would not be able to give a correct reason for brahmins not eating non vegeterian.I stongly believe that scientific reasons are behind in each and every action that we do and the parents of most of the brahmin families not knowing, end up loosing in arguement with their children and other brahmin haters.So,can anyone help to get this sorted out.Because if we teenagers started practising all the old rituals,customs followed in earlier days,I am sure that we can have a better peaceful life and i do know that, the world moving towards technology,science has influence us more.Moreover, we staying away from home can stop us from doing the basic karma but will not stop us completely.So,stil basic things like sandhyavandhanam and gayathri can done as how a muslim helps other fellow men of his in getting a job and how a north indian employs another north indian in his business the same can be tried by a brahmin to stop extinction of brahmins.Its all the unity and support that he needs.So says the famous lyric of eminem."Everybody everybody come take my hand,We'll walk together through the storm,watever weather cold or warm.Jus let u knw that you r not alone".OM SAI RAM :)

Dear Dinesh,

The best is for you to lead the life you are happy with and let others decide for themselves what makes them happy.

These days many people immaterial of their caste are vegetarians for various reasons:

1)Lifestyle
2)Out of compassion
3)Religious reasons
4)Fad
etc

So each and everyone has their own reasons for choosing their life style and diet which might change from time to time.

The best is we learn to accept others and respect their new found ways or preferences and we be happy with our preferences.

None of us can be identical in thought word and deed.

Dear Dinesh,

The best is for you to lead the life you are happy with and let others decide for themselves what makes them happy.

These days many people immaterial of their caste are vegetarians for various reasons:

1)Lifestyle
2)Out of compassion
3)Religious reasons
4)Fad
etc

So each and everyone has their own reasons for choosing their life style and diet which might change from time to time.

The best is we learn to accept others and respect their new found ways or preferences and we be happy with our preferences.

None of us can be identical in thought word and deed.

Very wise and sensible approach. one should not argue about life styles of others. Know the reason for your conviction and stick to it, and let others live their life according to their conviction. There is no superior or inferior way.

Hello Dinesh,

I would like to add to the valuable advice given by Renuka and Prasad.

We are not the only vegetarians. The Saiva Vellala Pillais of Tamil Nadu are also Vegetarians. The Jains are strict vegetarians. Being a Vegetarian is accepted in India.

Technology and science does not prevent you from performing Sandhyavandanam, reciting Gayatri or being Vegetarian. Many of our top scientists perform Sandhyavandanam, recite Gayatri and are Vegetarians. Even their extended stay abroad has not made them take to non-Vegetarian food.

The choice is yours to make.

But please avoid arguments about these as it does not help. Your friends will accept you. But again as it was said in the earlier posts you have to accept others also. It is reciprocal.

Religion is purely personal. Do not wear it on your sleeve.

About 70 years back, when my grandfather who was a very orthodox Brahmin (with Kudumi) left for the Court, he used to remove the Vibhuthi mark. He used to say that as a Judge he should not be seen as representing a religion or caste. My father told me this. He followed that. I carefully remove all religious markings done during my Puja when I go out. I was extremely careful to do it when I was working. Now that I am not working it does not matter all that much.

If a person wishes to stay as a teetotaller and vegetarian / vegan, it is possible anywhere in this world. It is not at all necessary

to have alcoholic drinks with friends and colleagues. The mind has to be strong. Brahmins start eating N V stuff just to enjoy the

new taste. If a person from other religions do their prayers at regular timings and visit temples on particular days, the brahmins

are the first to adore them, whereas many of them mock the practice of SandhyA vandhanam and regular visit to the temples.

It is very sad indeed! :tsk:

hi
the dress code/food code are very personal...there are many jains very strict vegetarians anywhere in the world....

IF THERE IS A WILL....THERE IS WAY.....just one example...my son like happy meal in Mcdonells in USA...he is only

10 years old...when we go to Mcdonell ...he is very particular abt veggie burger...once the waiter gave him non vegie....

he complained to the manager and got veggie cheese burger....he feels vomiting ..whenever he see non veg....

we have to cultivate the character ourselves...not by force....even my wife works in SUB WAY as manager....we

get veg sandwich every week...its best veggie sandwich.....SUB WAY VEGGIE SANDWICHES VERY FAMOUS AMONG

GUJARATIS....MANY GUJARATIS ARE VEGETARIANS....if any body want eat non veg,...nobody can stop....like

karaikudi hotels in chennai.....

Last edited:
........ IF THERE IS A WILL....THERE IS WAY.....just one example...
Very true, TBS Sir. My son and many of our nephews and nieces are settled in the U S of A, with their families and all of them are

vegetarians and teetotallers. V R maam two sons and families are vegans. It is easy to be a vegan there, since many soy products

are available, to replace milk and dairy products! :)

hi
the dress code/food code are very personal...there are many jains very strict vegetarians anywhere in the world....

IF THERE IS A WILL....THERE IS WAY.....just one example...my son like happy meal in Mcdonells in USA...he is only

10 years old...when we go to Mcdonell ...he is very particular abt veggie burger...once the waiter gave him non vegie....

he complained to the manager and got veggie cheese burger....he feels vomiting ..whenever he see non veg....

we have to cultivate the character ourselves...not by force....

Dear TBS ji,

Cheese used in Veggie burgers contain Rennet which is Bovine in origin most of the while.

There is also Bacterial Rennet for vegetarian cheese but since we have no idea if Bovine Rennet is used in Mc D veggie burger better tell your son to omit the cheese.

Poor guy he might not even be knowing he is consuming Beef Rennet.

It is much easier now than decades back when Vegetarians had a tough time in U.K and U.S. The students did their own cooking.

Vegetarianism was classified under Diseases in the Pears Cyclopedia of the 1930s.

I am ashamed of saying that Brahmin community is the worst and the first to get degenerate . In 20 years time this community will disappear.
sundararajan.

I am ashamed of saying that Brahmin community is the worst and the first to get degenerate .
I am sorry, you feel ashamed.
You are making a sweeping statement, so please care to provide the following:
the community is worst on what count?
what sample size and demographics have you considered to arrive at this conclusion or verdict?
what is meant by degeneration and what will degenerate?

In 20 years time this community will disappear.
sundararajan.
Is that a wish or a prediction?

thanks

What's to worry about? Vegetarianism and veganism are becoming popular in foreign nations. There's a whole movement in Romania behind it, now 20-30% of the population are vegetarians there. It is well-known that a good vegetarian diet reduces risk of several diseases. There is nothing wrong with being vegetarian. As for young ones eating what they like, let them. I am from a multicultural family and am still 100% vegetarian (though I do eat cake that contains egg). :)

I am ashamed of saying that Brahmin community is the worst and the first to get degenerate . In 20 years time this community will disappear.
sundararajan.

Wow, hold on Sundarji. That is is a dire prediction, and is wrong, as wrong as the mayan end-of-earth prediction. Eating meat is not end of the Brahminism. Of course if you go back and search the archives you will find that, this argument has been hashed many times in the past.

Cheese used in Veggie burgers contain Rennet which is Bovine in origin most of the while.
There is also Bacterial Rennet for vegetarian cheese but since we have no idea if Bovine Rennet is used in Mc D veggie burger better tell your son to omit the cheese.
Poor guy he might not even be knowing he is consuming Beef Rennet.

I have to disagree. Rennet is a mixture of enzymes. So we are speaking at cellular level. It is not the same as eating cooked flesh, bones, live animals etc. In a way, I would say it is a derived product, like a medicine/drug, chemical etc. So there is no harm and he is still vegetarian.

@sundachu,
Partly I have to agree. Brahminism (in terms of caste naming) will definitely disappear in India. The amount of reservation quotas/policies by the govt in all walks of life that is primarily aimed to uproot brahmins in India will eventually lead to their disappearance. They may move out of India, get their kids married to other castes, get alternative caste certificates by bribing, and so on....

Most brahmin teenagers nowadays, started eating non vegeterian.This had drastically increased in brahmin families from all part of the state.I am from coimbatore and i have been to chennai and bangalore as i work in IT.Being a teenager myself have always followed and lived the life of a how a brahmin should be.But,I see a lot of my fellow men drinking along with other colleagues for the sake and to show themselves as they can mix with any kind of people and sometimes for getting promotions they do so.I do believe in a policy that think "It is better to die standing than to live kneeling"!.

I sometimes endup in arguements and atlast i would not be able to give a correct reason for brahmins not eating non vegeterian.I stongly believe that scientific reasons are behind in each and every action that we do and the parents of most of the brahmin families not knowing, end up loosing in arguement with their children and other brahmin haters.So,can anyone help to get this sorted out.Because if we teenagers started practising all the old rituals,customs followed in earlier days,I am sure that we can have a better peaceful life and i do know that, the world moving towards technology,science has influence us more.Moreover, we staying away from home can stop us from doing the basic karma but will not stop us completely.So,stil basic things like sandhyavandhanam and gayathri can done as how a muslim helps other fellow men of his in getting a job and how a north indian employs another north indian in his business the same can be tried by a brahmin to stop extinction of brahmins.Its all the unity and support that he needs.So says the famous lyric of eminem."Everybody everybody come take my hand,We'll walk together through the storm,watever weather cold or warm.Jus let u knw that you r not alone".OM SAI RAM :)

I am probably younger than many of the people here in this site. I see many 'progressives' in this site or people who could be called 'liberals'.

It is NOT wrong to be a 'progressive' or 'liberal'. But I think we need to deeply reflect on our accumulated knowledge of the past and make right inferences and conclusions.

Ofcourse what we infer or conclude may not be same as what others do. While we need not compel others, there is NOTHING WRONG in sharing (call it preaching) our experiences and ideas. Also I for one would err on the side of caution.

With these background thoughts, I would call on the Brahmin community to preserve their vegetarianism and NON-ALCOHOLISM going forward. I see it as the need of the hour.

Food habits of a society are based on one's environment and availability of food. Landed classes of our society (or which had the means to access produce of land) have always followed vegetarianism. The reason, I think and my studies tell me, is not JUST availability and access but also learning from the past that vegetarianism and a healthy, stress-free life enhances life and quality of life and is passed on to subsequent generations genetically. More or less, science concurs with it, in the sense that vegetarianism reduces risks of cancer and heart diseases significantly, while procedures like TSV reduce stress and as an effect BP, diabetes etc..

But I think we need more research in that area and I think it will happen. It is happening..

Alcohol has been a subject of long running in debate in all societies, including ours. In fact in most societies it is a cycle. At times alcoholism is strictly prohibited only to be relaxed and it engulfs the society, which then backlashes against it and enforces strict rules against it. And the cycle continues...

Our society has gone through these learnings and hence alcoholism was strictly prohibited for those who are supposed to learn and pass on the vedas to subsequent generations.

Alcohol is the reason for not just health disasters of current society but also future societies in many ways, more than health. Look at most rapes today. Alcohol is the reason.

When I combine these two knowledge, I think Brahmin community has an excellent opportunity to preserve these two traits. If the community succeeds to preserve these traits and is able to show distinctions related to health, it could serve as a model for the rest of our society. In fact this is the way research was carried out in the olden days, where food habits of certain sections of society modelled for the rest.

By following these two and procedures like TSV (Trikala Sandya vandanam) or DSV or SV or atleast pranayama/gayatri, Brahmin communities have an excellent opportunity to maintain their health status and be a model for the rest.

My fear is the 'Progressives' or 'Liberals' at times destroy things that they don't know about. Like a chemo agent killing good cells, a lot of good practices and procedures are thrown out by Brahmins who see themselves as liberal. This is the problem we are facing.

I agree with Dinesh in spirit that Brahmins should preserve their cultural habits, but do not agree with sentiment that it needs to be caste-based. I would like to see more people adoptingn the culture of Brahmins offsetting those who are getting out of its fold..

-TBT

There is no empirical evidence that the Brahmins are healthier because of Vegetarianism and not drinking Alcohol. Their life expectancy was/is no higher than the other groups.

There is no empirical evidence that the Brahmins are healthier because of Vegetarianism and not drinking Alcohol. Their life expectancy was/is no higher than the other groups.

I disagree.

1. Vegetarianism and Non-alcoholism leads to better life expectancy. None can dispute it. It is PURE science because as I said the risks factors are cut.

2. Brahmins lived much longer in our societies and it is applicable even today. The reasons could be varied. But vegetarianism, non-alcoholism, TSV were their hall-marks.

-TBT

Please. These are assumptions. There is no evidence. No study has been conducted to prove these.

Sir,Assumptions..? Not mine probably..Kathy Freston: Why Do Vegetarians Live Longer?, though I gave u JUST a huffingtonpost report, I have REALLY read journals that talk about it. I just got it now on google and giving it. I can give much more sir..Also in India we don't need any data that higher castes (which always tended to be more vegetarian, as I called in my response, the landed classes) lived much longer due to different reasons, including that they were richer..http://www.iipsindia.org/pdf/RB-13 file for uploading.pdfIf u look at the pdf here, in Table 1 it says the highest average life expectancy is with higher castes that are non-poor and even the poor among the higher castes fare better than the poor among the lower castes..From my own observations, I can see Iyengars, Madhvas and Iyers having a higher life expectancy than other groups (if they dont succumb to heart diseases due to life style)..You can debate if it is due to vegetarianism or non-alcoholism. As I said, I would err on the side of caution, as I see independent research showing good benefits in both.-TBT

Dear Shri Chandrasekaran,

Let me first tell you that I am a non-conformist old tāttā of 72 years. Due simply to the time for which I have lived, I have had the opportunity of seeing (and also been compelled to copy) the brahmin lifestyles of people born from 1880's and also to see the very present generation of brahmins. Believe me, I can vouchsafe on the honour of my word that Brahmins have degenerated without any shadow of doubt during this period.

Let us forget the superficial trappings. I remember people of my grandfather's and great grandfather's generation [I was lucky to see my mother's mother's father who lived very hale and hearty up to a ripe old age (for those times) of 84 years.]. They were a distinct set, I would say. The honesty, value they gave to oral promises/assurances, their knowledge of Sanskrit and hence of our scriptures, their attitude towards gurujis, swamijis and others of that genre, their views on temples vs worship within the homes, in almost all aspects the tabra community (at least in Kerala) has changed a lot. I find these changes to be degenerative for our community.

Simply by performing Sandhyaavandanam twice or thrice a day, sticking to vegetarian food and being a teetotaller, I do not think that today's degenerate brahmins will be able to regain even a small percentage of their past glory or brāhmaṇyam, if that word expresses all aspects special to a brāhmaṇa.

Your complaint is about the youngsters of today drinking, eating NV food, etc. Our ancient ancestors, the rishis who have been named as givers of each sooktam, have extolled the virtues of a drink called Soma. Indra, the main deity in the Rigveda is depicted as getting highly in rapture drinking the Soma juice offered to him. (R.V. IX-12). Similarly, if you take the trouble of studying our scriptures, it will be seen that eating non-vegetarian was not alien to the brahmins of yore. In fact some of the smritis recommend the meat of different kinds of animals to be given to the braahmanas in the Sraaddha rite so that the pitrus (manes) remain satisfied (without hunger) for different lengths of time.

In sum, therefore, there is really no relation to one's "brahmin-ness" and his/her being vegetarian, teetotaller, performer of sandhyaavandanams, etc. Your motto of "It is better to die standing than to live kneeling"! will be good as long as you keep it your personal policy or motto.But, it will be foolish to set standards of brahmin-ness for others based on a few items which you feel are important.

If you truly want to be a brahman, get back to a Vedapatashala immediately, learn vedas and sanskrit as best as you can, adhere to the nityakarmaanushtaana prescribed under the sootra your family has been following and then think of one of the permitted jobs for brahmins which are —sva dharmo brāhmaṇasyādhyayanam adhyāpanam yajanam yājanam dānam pratigrahāsca (arthaśāstra I-3-5 to7)

The permitted sva-dharma for brahmins are learning and teaching of vedas, performing oneself and on behalf of others of yajnas, offering and receiving gifts or dānam,

Sir,Assumptions..? Not mine probably..Kathy Freston: Why Do Vegetarians Live Longer?, though I gave u JUST a huffingtonpost report, I have REALLY read journals that talk about it. I just got it now on google and giving it. I can give much more sir..Also in India we don't need any data that higher castes (which always tended to be more vegetarian, as I called in my response, the landed classes) lived much longer due to different reasons, including that they were richer..http://www.iipsindia.org/pdf/RB-13 file for uploading.pdfIf u look at the pdf here, in Table 1 it says the highest average life expectancy is with higher castes that are non-poor and even the poor among the higher castes fare better than the poor among the lower castes..From my own observations, I can see Iyengars, Madhvas and Iyers having a higher life expectancy than other groups (if they dont succumb to heart diseases due to life style)..You can debate if it is due to vegetarianism or non-alcoholism. As I said, I would err on the side of caution, as I see independent research showing good benefits in both.-TBT

Thank You.

About the other study I can only wonder to what extent India has become caste ridden. No conclusion can be drawn. According to the study Christians live longer than Hindus and Muslims. They are the group which are almost 100% non_vegetarian and also consume Alcohol.

Erosion in values

Dear Dinesh Chandrasekharan,
I fully share your concerns about the erosion of old values and practices, especially among our community people. Brahmins are supposed to follow many austerities to maintain their own purity as also to be role models for others. This was the reason why our country had many good souls who were following the principle,"Simple living and High thinking". You can find answers to your concerns in the book "Deivathin Kural" Volume-3,(Maha Periaval's own words) page 586 to 605. You can also read the same online from this link - kamakoti.org/tamil/3dk159.htm

R.Venkata Krishnan

Thank You.

About the other study I can only wonder to what extent India has become caste ridden. No conclusion can be drawn. According to the study Christians live longer than Hindus and Muslims. They are the group which are almost 100% non_vegetarian and also consume Alcohol.

Sir,

That is a wrong conclusion. Caste is a more minute perspective than religion. Most Christians belong to OBC's, Brahmins, which were forward castes that did not take meat. They have been into christianity in the last hundred years and the impact of alcohol and meat (if they consume it) on these castes are yet to be seen..

Effects of alcohol is a long running subject and it cuts both ways. Claims that moderation in alcohol (in particular Red wine, beer) leads to a better heart have been proved to be generalizations and not correct conclusions.

As I wrote, we as a cultured, knowledgeable society of 5000+ years have more collective wisdom in our culture than anyone else in the world. So I would advise/request the Brahmin community to err on the side of caution.

-TBT

Post 13: Phew thank god for that. Because even i love my cheese! Its an easy vegetarian/lacto veg substittue here, when soya products aren't available. Its a bit like honey - derived product.

Hello Dinesh Chandrasekharan,

If I may put in my two cents, I am a vegetarian and have raised all my children as vegetarians living in the US for the last 33 plus years.. I made it happen, because of my strong belief and in fact, our entire in laws families and their kids have also followed the same rule..

It was a bit difficult when we did take the kids to Mc Donald's for a treat, I was reluctant to buy french fries since, it was cooked in lard which was derived from meat. they used to have hash brown (grated potato ) and some milk shake... But again Burger King chain stopped that and started frying their fries in vegetable oil, so that was more preferred and better yet, I used to make them at home..

In my opinion if you strongly believe in being a vegetarian and a teetotaller, then you don't need to explain yourself to anyone.. If you believe in your convictions, just ignore other's opinion, it is not important what they think of you just because you are a vegetarian or believe in some other things, It is perfectly fine that you are different from some of the Tamil brahmins or other caste boys or girls.. Eventually they will learn to respect your wishes..

Don't judge what the others are doing, it is enough that you believe in your own convictions.. If someone's company bothers you so much, try talking to them but if things don't change, you avoid eating with them, plain and simple.. YOU BE WHO YOU ARE..

Wish you the very best..

Subhalakshmi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back