• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Right Age for Upanayanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All

My son is 6 years 8 months old (Birth date: April 28th 2006)
I would like to know the correct age for the Upanayanam.
We are sama vedam Iyers.

Should we do Upanayanam before 28th April 2013 or after (before 7 years or between 7-8 years).
Should we consider the age from conception and if yes, any idea on how to calculate it.

Thanks for your help.
Balaji K

In the dharma sastram book page 35 MANU; says upanayanam can be done at the age of five.AAPASTHAMBUR:says: for example birth date April 28th 2006. The child is one year old on 2006. eighth year ends in 2013 end december. you may do before end of 2013. for brahmins.

Dear Shri Meetbaji,

The general rule is "GarbAshtamam" , i.e, eighth year from conception, or completion of the seventh year. the maximum is sixteenth year.

Manu also says that one can do it in the fifth year itself.
Regards,

Dear Sri.meetbaji,
Please, go to the link given below. Sri Paramacharya says that Upanayanam should be performed after 7 years and 2 months (Garbhashtakam)
Also there are useful informations therein. (Source: Deivathin Kural, Vol 2)

kamakoti.org/tamil/2dk24.htm

Regards,
R.Venkata Krishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back