• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kala Bhairava temple at Kasi

• Thread starter sankara_sharmah
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sankara_sharmah

We all know about the Kala Bhairava temple at Kasi. Kala Bhairava is the Kotwal or guardian of Kasi. The pilgrims were expected to first visit his temple, take his permission and then visit other temples.

Adi Sankara's Kala Bhairvashtakam is familiar to many of us.

Kalabhairavashtakam: Devaraja Sevyamana - in sanskrit with meaning - sloka on Sri Kalabhairava

A great site. The ashtakam with meaning.

Yesterday was Kala Bhairava Ashtami.

I am uploading two photographs of Kala Bhairava for the members pleasure.

Kala Bhairava with Rudraksha Mala Alankara.

Kalabairava.jpg

Special Alankara displayed once in a year.

Kalabhairava.jpg

Could somebody tell the significance of the black "rakshai" issued from this temple which those who have visited there used to distribute amongst relatives and friends? Or the short story behind it? Thanks.

It is a தாயத்து. Traditionally it is believed to protect against பில்லி சூனியம். In the old days there must have been Mantriks sitting inside the temple and giving these. But now a find a number of people sitting in the varandah of the temple selling these. They do not look like Mantriks. They utter some Mantra and touch your head with a peacock feather duster. This is similar to what the Muslim Magicians do.

I think it is again jugal-bandi custom - of Hindus and Muslims. Now I will not scamper to get one from people coming after visiting Kaasi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back