• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Puja lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little confused about how many times the puja lamp can be lit in the home. In my home for example, if the mother-in-law lights the lamp, but by the time I come for puja, the lamp has gone out, can I light it again in the morning? Or should we wait for evening time?

Also my in-laws family have the practice of putting off the lighted lamp with a flower once the puja is over, they feel it signifies that the lamp does not glow unattended. Is this ok?

Could someone clarify if they know the religious background of these questions?

dear sir ,
namaskaram .Radhey krishnaa.
lamp is a symbol of holiness and knowledge. everyone can lit a lamp .it is not a big thing . a pooja without lamp gives no benifits.it is nothing wrong to lit the lamp manytimes a day. it is not a holy thing to putting off the light immediately when the pooja is over.it is also important that not to leave the lamp unattended on the evening time. you can put it off sometime after the pooja

Dear Vipra,

I am going to try to piece together little bits of information about our tradition and philosophy and try and answer your question. If it makes sense to you please consider it.

I am a little confused about how many times the puja lamp can be lit in the home. In my home for example, if the mother-in-law lights the lamp, but by the time I come for puja, the lamp has gone out, can I light it again in the morning? Or should we wait for evening time?

These are my views only. Any form of agni is a symbol of purification in our tradition. Agni gains a divine meaning when produced with specific materials, during specific times of the day, accompanied by specific words. Why? All of the above three are different forms of energy. When they are infused together to light the lamp, the flame becomes a representation of concentration. Concentration is very important in our tradition as it is important to keep the mind focused on the kutastha chakra (third eye) to be able to have a vision of God. Even if we don't achieve 100% concentration every attempt we make towards bringing to mind to focus will bring us great benefits. The lamp/the flame is a great symbol of that idea.

So there is definitely meaning behind the idea that the lamp should be lit during Ushath kalam (right around the time the sun rises) and sandhya kalam (right around the time the sun sets) as cosmic vibrations are most concentrated in the atmosphere (thus beneficial for spiritual advancement).

So my response to your question is - if the time of the day is still part of early morning or early evening (according to whichever part of the world you live in) I would go ahead and re-light the lamp.

Also my in-laws family have the practice of putting off the lighted lamp with a flower once the puja is over, they feel it signifies that the lamp does not glow unattended. Is this ok?

In my family we have the practice of placing a drop of milk on either side of each 'mooku' or 'kaambu' before pulling back the thread gently into the oil by way of putting it off.

To the best of my knowledge such practices are meant to instill a sense of respect and care in the minds of those attending to the lamp. I don't see them as directly benefitting anybody's spiritual growth.

But if you find your specific family tradition sweet and not too cumbersome why not keep it?

I assure you there is nothing to fear if you don't put it off with a flower (or drops of milk as in my case).

But it does make one feel like the lamp is a living being that needs to be respected like God.

An appreciation of creation (including all of its materials) is just another way of praying to God. And believe me, each one of us needs every bit of prayer we can offer! One just can't pray enough!

Could someone clarify if they know the religious background of these questions?

I hope these ideas help.

Regards,
Chintana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back