• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Where does the Human soul live in the body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does the Human soul live in the body?

Bhagawat Gita in 2.17
This verse more clearly explains the real nature of the soul, which is spread all over the body. Anyone can understand what is spread all over the body: it is consciousness.
Bhagavad Gita As It Is, 2: Contents of the Gita Summarized, Text 17.
Where does the soul reside in the body? Is the soul same in animals too? - Yahoo! Answers India

Neuroscientists seems to think that soul lives in the Brain
Where Does Your Soul Live? | Create Your Health

According to Brama kumaris

The ‘seat of the soul’ is the third eye (approximately in the center of the forehead, where the pituitary and pineal glands are located).
Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual Organization (Raja Yoga)

Buddhism denies the existence of a permanent entity that remains constant behind the changing corporeal and incorporeal components of a living being.
Soul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old Testament does not distinguish between physical and spiritual organs.
The Old Testament View of Human Nature

The learned members please give your views on this fascinating subject,
Thanks

Sri. Padmanabhan, Greetings.

I don't know if the soul 'lives' all over the body. I don't think we lose part of the soul in the event of a limb or two gets dismembered in an accident. On the other hand, body system shuts off the blood supply to the extremeties if low on fluids. In other words, naturally our body is designed to keep our brain supplied. Going by that, it is quite difficult to think 'soul' could be situated other than our brain. But then again, I don't even know if we have a soul.

Cheers!

Soul has a specific biblical meaning. It is arising out of a belief system and is outside of our ability to reason. In addition it also happens to be an unreasonable concept as well.

Sukshma Sarira is often translated as Soul which leaves the physical body at death. Based on context it is accurate to refer it as Atma. However the word Atma has a significantly different meaning which is not inconsistent with it being used to refer to even the body-mind-sense complex.

Hence the biblical word Soul is translated as Atma. However there is no Soul per se.

This overloaded term called Atma has presented challenges to both casual readers and well informed authors as to how to explain it all. So there is call kind of concoctions made and the net result is a view that is most unlikely. Someone may use the word 'bound', or 'self and Self', 'trapped Atma in a body' etc but believing this requires a mind trained to accept unreasonable ideas. When too many axiomatic items are brought in to explain anything even using the best metaphor there is it is wrong and our scriptures thankfully do not imply the common meanings as explained or translated at all ...

The summary presented in the Op as to various belief system is various religion is nice. But if someone is committed to not accepting that is unreasonable (which is a different concept from 'above reason') then they have to reject the understanding presented. It is hard to have a casual conversation in my view to explain what is correct because that is what every book tries to assert. Even if one thinks they understand the meaning of certain essential verses, reconciling all the 700 verses of B.Gita requires a proper teacher that is hard to find.

My view is that to understand the concepts of Atma and Sukshma Sarira one needs a 'qualified teacher' and a willingness to not accept a single idea that is not reasonable. Questioning and not accepting what is unreasonable is an expression of Shraddha.

Sukshma Sarira is thought to pervade the physical gross body since it is not associated with space and it is not "I " anyway. Just like the physical body is objectified by me so it is not "I". Therefore nothing happens to my "real I" at death

Jeevaatma is compartmentalized individual consciousness which pervades the body.

Paramaatma is described as All Pervading Universal Consciousness.

Microcosm mimics Macrocosm.

What is in the Brahmanda is in the Pindana and vice versa.

But technically if you look at it ..it seems that there is actually only the Universal Consciousness animating all entities..so going by that there is only the Super Soul and nothing more.

Jeevaatma is compartmentalized individual consciousness which pervades the body.

Paramaatma is described as All Pervading Universal Consciousness.

Microcosm mimics Macrocosm.

What is in the Brahmanda is in the Pindana and vice versa.

But technically if you look at it ..it seems that there is actually only the Universal Consciousness animating all entities..so going by that there is only the Super Soul and nothing more.

Consciousness 'pervades' (I dislike that word :) ) space and time since it beyond space and time. It 'pervades' inanimate and living objects and continues to 'pervade' dead body too ...

I tend to avoid use of words like 'compartmentalized' which imply space limitation by some unknown entity. We know there is no such entity.

The individual lines above can be argued as correct but it is the last line that in more precise ...

Renukaji
Your answer is more confusing; your end statement 'there is only the Super Soul and nothing more' mean there is no individual soul? Am I right ?
As you are a Doctor, do you not see any logic in
Neuroscientists belief that soul lives in the Brain?

Consciousness 'pervades' (I dislike that word :) ) space and time since it beyond space and time. It 'pervades' inanimate and living objects and continues to 'pervade' dead body too ...

Dear TKS ji,

I fully agree with what you wrote.

Yes..even a dead body is pervaded but since the Subtle Body has left the Physical Body..the body can not be animated and hence dead.

Raghy Sir

Greetings
You are cleverly avoiding any direct answer;Going through this sentence "On the other hand, body system shuts off the blood supply to the extremeties if low on fluids. In other words, naturally our body is designed to keep our brain supplied. Going by that, it is quite difficult to think 'soul' could be situated other than our brain" one would believe that you support that Soul lives in the Brain; but your last sentence " I don't even know if we have a soul"
throws every thing out!!

Renukaji
Your answer is more confusing; your end statement 'there is only the Super Soul and nothing more' mean there is no individual soul? Am I right ?
As you are a Doctor, do you not see any logic in
Neuroscientists belief that soul lives in the Brain?

Dear Sir,

Neuroscientists do not acknowledge the presence of a subtle body as far as I know off.

Rene Descartes(1596-1650) came close to describe the seat of the soul as in the pineal gland..more later.

The Mind, the Will and the Emotions comprise the Soul.

The Human Being is a spirit, has a soul and lives in a body which is like a nest for the soul.

The body sleeps, the soul never sleeps. The soul may be dead even while body is alive. The soul may be resurrected from dead, but body cannot be resurrected from dead unless by a super human Spirit.

The spirit discerns, soul decides and body acts.

Raghy Sir

Greetings
You are cleverly avoiding any direct answer;Going through this sentence "On the other hand, body system shuts off the blood supply to the extremeties if low on fluids. In other words, naturally our body is designed to keep our brain supplied. Going by that, it is quite difficult to think 'soul' could be situated other than our brain" one would believe that you support that Soul lives in the Brain; but your last sentence " I don't even know if we have a soul"
throws every thing out!!

Sri. Padmanabhan, Greetings.

There is nothing clever in my reply nor I am not tryig to avoid anything. I could mention objective things about general physiology. But 'Soul' itself is only subjective. That's why I expressed my doubts about its existence itself. I haven't understood the terms soul, consciousness, mind etc. So, i can't say anything with any certainity.

Cheers!

Dear all,
Thanks for your wonderful answers and appreciate all answers.
What is death?
Death is separation of the soul from the physical body. The soul's departure from the body is called death. A body is dead if the soul is absent.

http://www.dlshq.org/messages/death.htm

Soul resides inside the human body as long as it has life

When death takes place, there is a separation of the Atma (soul) and the material perishable body. The separation of the body from the soul is the first stage after death. The Atma leaves the body in a subtle form, unseen by material eyes as the Garuda Purana 9.38 states “The vital airs having separated. The Atma leaves the body in a subtle form. The physical body made up of the five elements finally disintegrates.” Bhagavat Gita 2.20 states, “For the soul there is neither birth not death”.

http://www.dipika.org.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=230:how-did-shraddha-originate&catid=24:death-a-funeral-rites-info&Itemid=28

The soul without the body is like a flame without fire. After leaving the earthly body, the soul immediately obtains an airy body. In that action less body he moves in air only. (Garuda Purana Preta Khand Chapter 10 verses 72-75)

When the soul does enter the body?

According to Hinduism Today, Vedic literature states that the soul enters the body at conception.

Beginning of human personhood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where does the soul stay in the human body when one is alive?

It is believed that the soul is a life energy that resides within us. The soul is defined as an entity that is spiritual that is separate from the physical body.

There is no scientific proof that the human soul exists, because it is non-material (if it exists at all).

Many believe that the soul is the essence of what makes us who we are. In other words, the collective traits of our consciousness, our conscience, and our ability to express and feel our emotions, our intelligence are all manifestations of the spiritual part of us that is called the soul.
It could be argued that the human brain interfaces with the human soul (the essence of the human self) to give us life, to allow us to think, feel and express our thoughts and emotions. Conversely, some would argue that the brain is nothing more than a culmination of its parts and its many integrated systems allow us to grow and evolve into the people we are.

The Brain and Soul Connection: Is There Physical Evidence that the Human Soul Exists? - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

If we go by this logical argument, we are to believe there is no structure in the human body that corresponds to a "soul". However, physicians are well aware that if you remove or severely damage the brain, the body can no longer live. Even in the brain, though, there is no single structure that corresponds to a "soul".

Where in a human body is the soul located

From the above we can fairly assume that as long as soul resides inside the body, it has life; once it is out, the person is called ‘dead”
So during one’s life time soul has to stay in some place inside the body; as there is no specific place in the brain for soul to stay, where does it stay in the human body then?

As the brain is the nerve point of all our actions, it can be fairly assumed that although Soul does not stay in any part of the brain, but stays in some parts of the whole body.

Possibly soul stays in the body everywhere, every cell, every pore, strand of hair, breath, blood, tears from emotions, heart that beats faster in response to emotions.

Where live soul in our body? - Yahoo! Answers India

Bhagawat Gita says: "That which pervades the entire body you should know to be indestructible. No one is able to destroy that imperishable soul."
Bhagavad-Gita 2.17
PURPORT
"This verse more clearly explains the real nature of the soul, which is spread all over the body. Anyone can understand what is spread all over the body: it is consciousness. Everyone is conscious of the pains and pleasures of the body in part or as a whole. This spreading of consciousness is limited within one’s own body. The pains and pleasures of one body are unknown to another. Therefore, each and every body is the embodiment of an individual soul, and the symptom of the soul’s presence is perceived as individual consciousness. This soul is described as one ten-thousandth part of the upper portion of the hair point in size. The Svetäsvatara Upanishad (5.9) (scripture) confirms this:"
bälägra-sata-bhägasya
satadhä kalpitasya ca
bhägo jivah vijneyah
sa cänantyäya kalpate (Sanskrit)

Where does the soul reside in the body? Is the soul same in animals too? - Yahoo! Answers India

Dear PJ sir,

You know people are so money minded these days..so it is better if the location of the soul in the body remains a mystery otherwise if it is known where the soul resides..people might start asking rent from the soul for staying in the body!LOL

ātmā, piṇḍa śarīra, subtle body, compartmentalized individual consciousness, by whatever name we may chose to identify that mysterious 'thing', IT is ultimately that which gives LIFE as we know it, to our mere physical body, imho. This mysterious IT is all-permeating and is present in the entire universe. If we imagine IT to be like atmospheric air, probably we may be able to conceptualize a little better, imo. The air is everywhere and is also inside our body - as air till our lungs and as oxygen in combination with haemoglobin in all tissues and, may be, to every cell in our body. In a very similar way this IT permeates each cell, its nucleus and even the chromosomes and the genes. This IT cannot be seen, cannot be touched, nor smelled or tasted, felt, etc. Thus IT is the parabrahman which is often mentioned in the various upaniṣads, bhagavdgīta, etc., each in their own way. IT is nirguṇa also.

Death happens as and when this IT is no longer able to "sustain" the life process in the body as a whole (and not separation or departure of the soul from the physical body) but some parts of the dead total body may still be made to function under the influence of IT in another physical body; organ donation is made possible this way. Death therefore may be likened to a very complex electronic machinery (say, a robot) which stops functioning due to some small error abywhere in its complex circuits. The soul is still there in and around that non-functioning body which we call "dead body" but this Life-giving force is unable to work through the body, just as putting a new set of batteries will not be sufficient to make that robot function again, normally.

Soul when viewed in this manner is the same in all "living" organisms, just as electricity is the same force irrespective of which toy it activates. Soul, thus lives everywhere in the body - of humans, animals, birds or snakes.

As a layman I can say soul may not be in the brain as brain has other functions to regulate or control the owner's (of the soul's house) actions according to the merits of that birth. Brain death is confirmed as sure death. But that has no relevance or relation to soul's dwelling place. Thus the soul or a wick of it in subtle form must be under or inside or around the heart and the lighter is supposed to be on the right side of the heart in sootchma form. Entrapping the soul somehow is a game going on from vedic period. Nor has science been successful in giving it a chemical name. Soul is the mystery life, or God. Life will become super dull if it materializes before us. The spirit of man is to conquer the world (as to conquer the self is proving futile) and good luck to all in the game. It is everybody's liberty not to tell me where the soul is!

Bhagawat Gita says: "That which pervades the entire body you should know to be indestructible. No one is able to destroy that imperishable soul." Bhagavad-Gita 2.17 PURPORT "This verse more clearly explains the real nature of the soul, which is spread all over the body. Anyone can understand what is spread all over the body: it is consciousness. Everyone is conscious of the pains and pleasures of the body in part or as a whole. This spreading of consciousness is limited within one’s own body. The pains and pleasures of one body are unknown to another. Therefore, each and every body is the embodiment of an individual soul, and the symptom of the soul’s presence is perceived as individual consciousness. This soul is described as one ten-thousandth part of the upper portion of the hair point in size.

The Svetäsvatara Upanishad (5.9) (scripture) confirms this:" bälägra-sata-bhägasya satadhä kalpitasya ca bhägo jivah vijneyah sa cänantyäya kalpate (Sanskrit)

Padman Ji,

Ref: Post #13

To support this, there are other references.

Gita 2.17, that indestructible Soul pervades the destructible body.

Gita 15.15, sarvasya caham hrdi sannivisto , Sri Krishna says He is the Supersoul in the heart of all beings.

Gita 15. 16, 17 ,18, He says, 'There are two persons/beings - kshara (perishable) stuck in samsara, Akshara (imperishable) released from samsra (blessed with moksha). Above theseare the Supreme PErson. He who Knows ME as that Supreme Person, and worships Me, knoss all. These verses coherently, concludes the Individual Self is the experiencing this life and Supreme Self is the other person to be Worshipped.

Mundaka has this verse , " Two birds of the same tree, one enjoys and the other watches as witness". Katha - "Two entered into the cavity of Heart, one is un-intelligent and the other one is completely blissful'.

Sve Upa "I know that One Person, knowing Him alone one goes beyond death".

Br. Upa "To whom the Individual Self is the body". This means that Heart of the Individual Self is the Supreme Person.

Gita 15.8, "Whatever body its lord (jiva) acquries and from whatever body it departs, It goes on its way, taking these senses". This implies, that the individual carries its Karma/Individuality and born again accordingly.

In support of the above verse, Upa. states that "the Supreme Soul is not affected by the blemishes/Karma of the soul it pervades", thus, the one leaving the body with Karma is the Individual Self (Jiva).

Last edited:
Thus IT is the parabrahman which is often mentioned in the various upaniṣads, bhagavdgīta, etc., each in their own way. IT is nirguṇa also.

Sangom Ji,

Pl. refer to my post#18

You don't have to speculate. The subject of a sentence (esp. in upa/smritis) has to be understood with respect to the context. Those verses of the 2nd chapter in Gita talks about the nature of the Individual Soul/Self and its body.

2.17 The jiva pervades the whole body. [we have to assume, the consciousness/Intelligence/Chitta of the Self pervades the body] E.g If you desire to eat a salad, your hands, eyes, saliva, knowledge/brain co-operates in making and enjoying that. But, the Will/Desire is that of the Agent (individual Self].

2.30 In this verse, Krishna says 'The self is eternal and indestructible and is the same case in all other selves (jivas). “ This explains the
plurality of Jivas. That every body has a jiva.

2.37 If slain, Arjuna, you will win heaven. If victorious you will enjoy the earth/rule.
Thus, all the verses of this chapter , talks about the Individaul Self/jiva (bhaddha/bonded in samsara].

2.53 When your intellect, well enlightened by hearing on the Karma Yoga from Me, you will attain the vision of the Self (Jnana Yoga).
Rest other verses in the chapter, talks about the Mind, Intellect of the jiva.

There are also many places Atman, Purusha used for both the Jiva and the Brahman. IT purely should read with respect to the context. This is eactly how you described the Gana-pathi can be lord of any ganAs (Assistants) – Rudra gana or vasu gnas or aditya ganas, marut-ganas etc. In sanskrit all nouns are verbs, meaning they are functional nouns.

Coming to Nir-guna, it doesn't mean 'Without Gunas'. Becos, Prana (Air), Akasa (Space), may not be seen, but still has its own characteristics/qualities (gunas). All matter can be contained in Space [depending on their volume], Air can take many forms (breeze, wind etc.).

Our self is known by our individuality and realized by the mind (Yoga). Famous upa. Verses - 'In the beginning there was only Self. Knowing this Self , everything else is known'. Brahman is omniscient and is totally blissful (gunas). Thus, both Jiva and Brahman have qualities (Sat, Chit, Ananda).

Jivas are unintelligent, whereas Brahman is free from actions, tranquil, faultless and taintless (Sve Upa). Thus, Nir-guna should be taken to mean that Brahman is without bad-gunas (like bhaddha jivas).

Last edited:

Death happens as and when this IT is no longer able to "sustain" the life process in the body as a whole (and not separation or departure of the soul from the physical body) but some parts of the dead total body may still be made to function under the influence of IT in another physical body; organ donation is made possible this way. Death therefore may be likened to a very complex electronic machinery (say, a robot) which stops functioning due to some small error abywhere in its complex circuits. The soul is still there in and around that non-functioning body which we call "dead body" but this Life-giving force is unable to work through the body, just as putting a new set of batteries will not be sufficient to make that robot function again, normally.

Soul when viewed in this manner is the same in all "living" organisms, just as electricity is the same force irrespective of which toy it activates. Soul, thus lives everywhere in the body - of humans, animals, birds or snakes.

This is all fiction! There are people who lived 30 years in coma, it is just that Prana/Oxygen does not flow to that part of the brain. That means the Prana is not the
Self. Those who have dysfuncitonal or damaged brain suffer with neurological problems, but are still alive. But, when the heart fails, the person is dead. As the Self/Jiva leaves the body with Prana, acc. To Upanishads.

Prana/Oxygen is present in all the cells, which is considered a living cell. Thus,living Organ has enough oxygen supply. Organ donation works on the enough supply of oxygen, even if the person dies. Organs funtion as it is supposed to irrespective of the person it has. Organ is still a mechanical system.

But, Self/Jiva is the Agent. I can screw my liver by eating too many carbs and a yogi keeps it healthy with limited food and veggies. So, I am the Agent and my organs reflect my desire [only if I pursue my Will!]. I decide to update myself with knowledge about health, but someone decides to increase his IQ on stocks. Agent is the decider, controller and hence Suffers or enjoys the fruits of the actions (karma-phala). My brainworks at my Will and Desire.

If Prakruti/NAture (like common Air) is the agent, then all people will behave like organs, function mechanically similar. Then, noone will suffer the Karma , except Prakruti itself!! Not a Reality or Direct PErception.

But, each one works acco. to their interests.Again, even if everyone eats healthy food, one may like Light rock and other still would choose classical music. This shows that Food(mind)/Water(Prana)/ Oil(Speech) are only the nourishing factors, but the mind and speech are individual to the nature of Jiva. (Chando.Upa).

Last edited:

This is all fiction! There are people who lived 30 years in coma, it is just that Prana/Oxygen does not flow to that part of the brain. That means the Prana is not the
Self. Those who have dysfuncitonal or damaged brain suffer with neurological problems, but are still alive. But, when the heart fails, the person is dead. As the Self/Jiva leaves the body with Prana, acc. To Upanishads.

Prana/Oxygen is present in all the cells, which is considered a living cell. Thus, organ donation has still the enough supply of oxygen. Organs funtion as it is supposed to irrespective of the person it has. Organ is still a mechanical system.

But, Self/Jiva is the Agent. I can screw my liver by eating too many carbs and a yogi keeps it healthy with limited food and veggies. So, I am the Agent and my organs reflect my will/desire. I decide to update myself with knowledge about health, but someone decides to increase his IQ on stocks.My brain works at my Will and Desire.

If Prakruti/NAture (like common Air) is the agent, , then all people will behave like organs, function mechanically similar. But, each one works acco. to their interests.
Again, even if everyone eats healthy food, one may like Light rock and other still would choose classical music. This shows that Food(mind)/Water(Prana)/ Oil(Speech) are only the nourishing factors, but the mind and speech are individual to the nature of Jiva. (Chando.Upa).

Self/Jiva may be atomic, have same set of properties Chitta and Bliss (based on Karma/Senses). But, their values are in different ranges. influenced by karma, like a bank accounts with varying credits/debits. We are similar objects with different values, but belonging to Human Class [like in Object Programming]. Soul lives in the Heart, that controls all the actions of the body through its Intelligence & Will/Conscience (consciousness).

Sangom Ji,

Self/Jiva may be atomic, have same set of properties Chitta and Bliss (based on Karma/Senses). But, their values are in different ranges. influenced by karma, like bank accounts with varying credits/debits. We are similar objects with different values, but belonging to Human Class [like in Object Programming]. Soul lives in the Heart, that controls all the actions of the body through its Intelligence & Will/Conscience (consciousness).

Dear Sri. Sangom, Greetings.

As of today we do not know what is 'death' and when someone is dead. In the hospital only clinical death is identified. But we don't really have the knowhow to reverse the situation. When one guy died in my arms, I did not think he was really 'dead'; all I thought was, we haven't advanced enough to reverse his condition. Sure, his heart stopped, no pulse, there was no visible blood circulation ... yes, Cardio Pulamanory resuscitation ( CPR) is one step forward in resetting the heart to keep going.. but, I still think there are many areas we have not advanced. ( I know one old lady came back alive two times.. once on the way to grave yard; second time just before getting buried). Soul?.. don't know.

Cheers!

Shri Govindaji,

As Shri Raghy says, human knowledge about "death" is as yet, inadequate. The various Sanskrit terms like Jiva, Chitta, Manas, etc., have not been clearly "defined" in our scriptures, imho. When we try to express in an English post, there is further confusion created by the inter-mixing of words like soul, heart, etc. In such a confused maze, any one explanation will, imho, be as good or as bad as another. So, I will not enter into any arguments/debate.

It, nevertheless, seems to me that the "soul" or "Atma" cannot be like a quantized packet but should be more like a universal field, present everywhere, all the time. The living bodies "live" because of this 'field' functioning throughout those bodies. There is no soul or Atma located specifically in the physiological heart; as for the philosophical 'heart', 'Chitta', 'Buddhi', 'consciousness', etc., I don't know what is actually meant, and so no comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back