• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Who is Vinayaga...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had written about Ganapati here in these forums postings.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/share-...ganapati-dyanam-meaning-shuklam-bhartram.html

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/share-your-knowledge/10413-rg-veda-ganapati.html

TheBigThinkg Vedic Studies: The Puranic Ganapati...

Vedic dharma in my view, if properly understood, is the most scientific and a rational dharma. Lot of interpretations and changes that happened in our dharma have obscured the real meaning, though they retain the essence. Worship of Lord Vigneswara or Ganapati is one such thing.

Who is the master (Easwara) of all our actions.. (Vigna)? It is our Brain. Brain is the lead/guide (pati) of all the attendant systems (Gana) of our body.

Lord Vigneswara or Ganapati is none but our brain.

That's why wherever we need to invoke our brain, concentrate, focus, think and act, we invoke Ganapati or Vigneswara. This practice is not today's practice. It is an age-old practice from Puranic days.

Be it War, rituals of birth and death, auspicious events or inauspicious events, we invoke Ganpati to invoke peace in our actions. We recite

Shuklam bhaRtram Vishnum Sasi Varnam ChathurBhujam,
Prasanna Vadanam Dyayeth Sarva Vigna Upa Santhaye.

As I explained in my post on Ganapati Dyanam, is it not true that if we need peace in our actions, our thoughts need to be Pure, Reflecting our conscience, fully focussed on the job at hand, expressed pleasantly..?

Can there be a better definition for having peace in our actions than this..?

Ever wonder, why we have Ganapati's in Compound walls of houses facing street junctions..? Though the practice appears modern, the underlying concept of invoking Ganapati in brain-critical situations is very age-old and can be traced to Puranas.

We have Ganapati in compound halls of houses facing critical road junctions, as Lord Vigneswara is all about picking our brain to be more focused, to be more careful in negotiating the traffic junctions and avoiding accidents. Such junctions require us to be brain-critical and that's why a Ganapati is there. People carry on this concept from their understanding of placing a Ganapati idols to avoid accidents/evils (without realising the brain-critical aspect of it), without understanding why they are doing so.

Ever wonder why we worship Ganapati before starting any new action.. (Learning, Business, Agriculture, War, Worship, Nitya Karmas, Pitr Karmas and even Love)? Every action that we perform has to add to peace in our life. If they have to be peace-giving actions, then they need to be done with thoughts as described above (Pure, reflecting our conscience, fully focused, pleasantly expressed etc). We remind ourself of this before starting every action.

We have Ganapati's in Wells, Fields, Lakes, Houses, Factories and in almost every place. Unlike any other god-form Ganapati can be placed anywhere. It is because Ganapati is about using our brain and where-ever we need to use our brain, Ganapati can be there.

Why is Ganapati associated with Chitti and Buddhi..? Chitti means thought. Buddhi means capability to analyze thoughts (intelligence). Brain is indeed associated wtih thoughts and capability to anaylze the thoughts (intelligence). Chitti and Buddhi are different from Manas, which is our conscience, that Vedas say is in our heart. More about it later.

In the olden days, people spent time making clay idols of Vinayaga, from clay obtained in the lakes, rivers, wells and ponds (which served as a great action for dredging the lakes and ponds to prepare them for rainy seasons ahead) and later on returned those idols back to these reservoirs. Worshipping Vinayaga was the most brainy act then.

What we need to take away from Vinayaga Chaturthi is that, we are from a dharma that has a day dedicated for our brain. Our dharma talks about how to be peaceful in our actions and what kind of thoughts we need to invoke for peace in our actions.

-TBT

namo vigna rajaya! namo namaha!

not chiitti, it is siddhi...is siddhi and chittam the same? may be , but i think siddhi is much more than chittam.

manas, buddhi , chittam , ahankaram are all one andhakaranam but named only to distinguish its function. (ref - viveka chudamani... bhagavat padal)

can we say manas is in heart , buddhi in head .. may be ...it is just for convenience andha karanam is all over our body even outside our body...

why i said outside our body.... one time playing cricket in my street, the batter hit a fulltoss powerfully , im fielding at sillypoint .( one can imagine indian 10 ft wide streets and how close I was to the batter) the ball come straight to my gender point , i dont know how my hand re-acted so fast to cover my point and catched the ball still now. everyone thought i'm wounded and there was a deep silence for a moment they couldnt believe I was unhurt and caught the ball.

i couldnt forget the moment till now , after 30 odd years. the more i refelect on the reflex actions, i think there should be a buddhi outside the body also to co-ordinate so efficiently .

coming to Lord Vinayaga...

Arunagirinathar says he has given tamizh to us ...

kaithal nraikani appamodu aval pori
kappiya karimuga adi penni

katrridum adiyavar buddhiyil uraibhavar karpagam ena vinai kadithegum

muththamizh adaivinai murpadu girithanil murpada ezhuthiya muthalvone..

Lord GANESHA is the FIRST ONE to give tamizh to us..

Lord GANESHA also gave KAVERI to Tamil nadu by spilling the kamandalu of Sage Agasthiyar.

Lord GANESHA also made sure LORD Ranganatha remains in Srirangam by deceiving VIBHISHANA and there by making sure the PROTECTOR of dharma to remain in Tamizh.
(ref - maha periyaval's deivathin kural)

Lord GANESHA is instrumental in Giving Tamizh "DEVARA THIRUMURAI"

In this way LORD GANESHA helped Tamizh people to achieve the four pursuits .

LETS REJOICE ON THE SPECIAL ANUGRAHA OF LORD GANESHA FOR TAMIZH COUNTRY.

JAI GANESHA.

Last edited:
It's simple.

Our conscience or consciouisness, rides in the DNA of every cell making them function in different ways. Any doubts..? Science says that..

Yeah, motorised reflexes are from our brain only. That u got hit or did not get hit is simply your Karma.

-TBT

It's simple.

Our conscience or consciouisness, rides in the DNA of every cell making them function in different ways.
Any doubts..? Science says that..

Yeah, motorised reflexes are from our brain only. That u got hit or did not get hit is simply your Karma.

-TBT

ur first sentence is beautiful and true.

the second one may not be correct ,till now science is clueless about consciousness . consciousness rides on material dna . it doesn't depends on dna as science believes.

reflex coordination is much more than motor reflex imo.

ur first sentence is beautiful and true.

the second one may not be correct ,till now science is clueless about consciousness . consciousness rides on material dna . it doesn't depends on dna as science believes.

reflex coordination is much more than motor reflex imo.

Hmm.. if v understand it, it is simple. If v don't understand it also, it is simple.

I jumped the gun in stating it is in DNA and not say in Mitochondria or somewhere else. Why it could be in every protein or quark, leptons and the mesonic clouds.. There was a reason why I said it, but now it is premature, in this discussion. So I have to take it back..

See here a poem I wrote for my daughter on Dead and Alive consciousness...

TheBigThinkg Poems: Consciousness Dead or Alive..

And Sir, Amygdala, says science, is responsible for ur fight/flight response. But there are people who say Amygdala cannot be seen as one thing that controls it, but probably it is spread over all across brain and amygdala co-ordinates it.

Is that response all over the body..? Not sure sir..

-TBT

Consciousness is ever present, ever potent, ever awoke , all prevading , without second principle.

Life and death is not for Consciousness may be only for buddhi / andhakaranam.

Consciousness is that which say that " you" had a good sleep when your buddhi awoke after a good sleep.

reflect on deep sleep state, you buddhi is totally switched off when you awoke you are having a good feeling of having slept well. Who or what is the witness of your deep sleep state cannot be your buddhi as it is completely switched off. something subtler than buddhi , the consciousness , the saakshi , tells you that you had a good sleep .

like sleep and wake stage is birth and death, consciousness is the witness , it neither lives nor dies... it is immutable ever present and the principle behind every thing .

in a dream state "YOU" create your own stage , props and actors like wise in wake stage too all the props like DNA,MITOCHONDRIA, BODY and BRAINS are the Consciousness creation.

Consciousness is everpresent from time immemorial. there is no begining and end to "YOU -con" . all the appearance and disappearance arise from " you-con" and subside in "YOU".
-- so says the VEDANTA (THE FINAL KNOWLEDGE).

"chitananda roopam SIVO HAM"

Last edited:
if one doesn't gain the above knowledge , it is best not to self-study our scriptures you need a help of a guru for your studies on shruti,smriti or purana to gain benefit.

if not, not only one confuse himself he set on to confuse others too.

arnagirayar vakku deiva vakku, war-god , deva senapathy muruganin arul kodai.

please reflect on the nadai of thirupugah it is vega nadai, like an army on the march, if war-god blesses poetry to a poet , it will come in that manner only. I strongly believe the works by arunagirinathar is not of mere human intelligence, it is divine intelligence , deiva vakku.

for current day researchers anything divine is out of there context so they see only at there level and arrive at there own conclusion ...

did kumara sambhavam of kalidasa talks about the role of ganapathy ?

brhamanas pathi - means Lord of everything , why can't it be vinayaga.

Afterall it is Lord Shiva who want to take a form representing all creatures of his creation and become ganaapathy , mahaperiyaval says this in deivathin kural.

For the history of Vinayaka worship in Tamilnadu see my blog. http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/blogs/...-3007-2997-2996-3007-2986-3006-2975-3009.html
If you are a staunch believer in Vinayaka, please do not visit it.

Dear Vikrama

It is highly possible that Vinayaga worship entered into much later periods. So I don't see an issue there. Hope u read my other blogs on how I tranlsate the Ganapati sloka in Rg Veda.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/share-your-knowledge/10413-rg-veda-ganapati.html

In my view Ganapati (the lord of our actions, our brain) is a manifestation of Brahamanaspati (Lord of evolution). Brahmanaspati became the Ganapati in later days. (This is also according to Aurobindo).

In the Puranic times, when vedic dieties were personified, idolized and seen as 'dieties', Ganapati worship would have started and slowly spread across India.

Ganesa is present in Indian arts and coinage even in 2nd century AD. But even Kalidasa's works do not refer to Ganesa. (May be they were still older). But that does not negate anything that I am writing.

-TBT

Your blog is timely and informative. But I think TBT is on a different path altogether; a great mansion without the base structure of good knowledge about vedas, Tamil saivite scriptures, etc.

Dear Sangom

Diversity is the hall-mark of Sanatana Dharma. So many interpretations and understandings of the same.

How much one has read the vedic scriptures and has a strong grounding is relative. I have spent a significant time of my life in that research.

So before I would comment on someone, if that person has an understanding, I would look at how much time I spent in understanding them. How much of my knowledge is hear-say, how much is taught, how much time I spent in my life in it.

Even if other person does not have the sastric grounding as much as I am, as the Great Valluvan said, I would consider "Epporul yaar yaar vai ketpinum, apporul meiporul kanbathu arivu".

Hope u agree..

-TBT

Consciousness is ever present, ever potent, ever awoke , all prevading , without second principle.

Life and death is not for Consciousness may be only for buddhi / andhakaranam.

Consciousness is that which say that " you" had a good sleep when your buddhi awoke after a good sleep.

reflect on deep sleep state, you buddhi is totally switched off when you awoke you are having a good feeling of having slept well. Who or what is the witness of your deep sleep state cannot be your buddhi as it is completely switched off. something subtler than buddhi , the consciousness , the saakshi , tells you that you had a good sleep .

like sleep and wake stage is birth and death, consciousness is the witness , it neither lives nor dies... it is immutable ever present and the principle behind every thing .

in a dream state "YOU" create your own stage , props and actors like wise in wake stage too all the props like DNA,MITOCHONDRIA, BODY and BRAINS are the Consciousness creation.

Consciousness is everpresent from time immemorial. there is no begining and end to "YOU -con" . all the appearance and disappearance arise from " you-con" and subside in "YOU".
-- so says the VEDANTA (THE FINAL KNOWLEDGE).

"chitananda roopam SIVO HAM"

I think, I agree with what u wrote here..

arnagirayar vakku deiva vakku, war-god , deva senapathy muruganin arul kodai.

please reflect on the nadai of thirupugah it is vega nadai, like an army on the march, if war-god blesses poetry to a poet , it will come in that manner only. I strongly believe the works by arunagirinathar is not of mere human intelligence, it is divine intelligence , deiva vakku.

for current day researchers anything divine is out of there context so they see only at there level and arrive at there own conclusion ...

did kumara sambhavam of kalidasa talks about the role of ganapathy ?

brhamanas pathi - means Lord of everything , why can't it be vinayaga.

Afterall it is Lord Shiva who want to take a form representing all creatures of his creation and become ganaapathy , mahaperiyaval says this in deivathin kural.

Is Brahmanaspaty = Vinayaga..? - YES, I think so and that is what I have been saying. Brahamanaspati means the lord of evolution (Brahman = expansion, evolution). Lord of evolution is our brain.

So if u thoughts are addressed to me, I think probably we are saying the same thing, from different perspectives..

if one doesn't gain the above knowledge , it is best not to self-study our scriptures you need a help of a guru for your studies on shruti,smriti or purana to gain benefit.

if not, not only one confuse himself he set on to confuse others too.

I am not against Gurus.

But for long, this has 'faulty logic' been used to suppress research and original understanding of scriptures in India. If Sankara followed it, we would not have Sankara today. If Ramanuja followed it, we would not have him today.

When Sankara lived, history records that the Brahmins of his time opposed him. When Ramanuja lived, it was the same. When their thoughts gained currency over a long period, now they are reverred. Same with Jesus or any such person who drives change in society.

You (and me) are too small to confuse anything anywhere. The evolution is far bigger than all of us and we make negligible impact in its ways. Evolution makes sure the right thoughts sustain or we consider the thoughts that sustain as right.

Do not fear confusions and going in the wrong path. No path is wrong in this world.

In every good there is a bad, in every bad there is a good.

-TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back