• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hindu Brahmin Death Rituals - Clarifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sirs

My father expired on 4th Nov, 2012. I am only son for him. Mother is alive. I was fortunate to be with him during his last days and could perform all the first 13 days rituals in our own Soil under the able guidance of sastrigal in Tamil Nadu (Tiruvannamalai).
Now, my work situation forces me to perform the balance rituals in a foreign country - Singapore. I still plan to do the 6th and 12th month rituals in our home country, as I feel it is good to have them done there.
However, the oonam, masiam for 27 and 45th day are planned to be done here. I enquired locally and understand that mostlly it is hiranya (vazhakkai, arisi and dhakshanai) done here. Utmost, priests accept food on sodakumbam day (samadharana cooking).
Being left with no choice, I intend to proceed as above.
Can I re-do these rituals again in India engaging additional sastrigals during the 6th month?
Is it a big mistake, considering the current situation to plan this way?
This is the first death of a close one, i have seen in my life and not conversent with the rituals.
If the practical dilutions of the sastras permit such thing, I would like to make use of it.
However, the sastrigal at Tiruvannamalai has already suggested to have to monthly masiyams done together during 6th and 12th month.
Experts, kindly help and guide me in this.
Thanks for your time and guidance.
Regards
Raja

Dear Sirs

My father expired on 4th Nov, 2012. I am only son for him. Mother is alive. I was fortunate to be with him during his last days and could perform all the first 13 days rituals in our own Soil under the able guidance of sastrigal in Tamil Nadu (Tiruvannamalai).
Now, my work situation forces me to perform the balance rituals in a foreign country - Singapore. I still plan to do the 6th and 12th month rituals in our home country, as I feel it is good to have them done there.
However, the oonam, masiam for 27 and 45th day are planned to be done here. I enquired locally and understand that mostlly it is hiranya (vazhakkai, arisi and dhakshanai) done here. Utmost, priests accept food on sodakumbam day (samadharana cooking).
Being left with no choice, I intend to proceed as above.
Can I re-do these rituals again in India engaging additional sastrigals during the 6th month?
Is it a big mistake, considering the current situation to plan this way?
This is the first death of a close one, i have seen in my life and not conversent with the rituals.
If the practical dilutions of the sastras permit such thing, I would like to make use of it.
However, the sastrigal at Tiruvannamalai has already suggested to have to monthly masiyams done together during 6th and 12th month.
Experts, kindly help and guide me in this.
Thanks for your time and guidance.
Regards
Raja

There is no problem in doing the oonamaasikams and regular maasikams along with the sodakumbhams at 6 and 12 month ends. Since you are in S'pore now, I will suggest (if your financial position allows it) to arrange for two elderly people to be fed on the monthly "tithi" of your father. I will suggest the following address; please google to learn more:

SRI POORNA MAHAMERU TRUST
Sankara Salai Subham Nagar, Old Pallavaram Chennai-600 017, Tamil Nadu, India
Telephone: +91 44 22472483 / 22478130
Email:p[email protected]

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your time and update.
I already contacted Sri Poorna Mahameru Trust and arranged for the feeding.
I will be sending cheque from Chennai contact by tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Regards
Raja

My Sastrigal also tell all possible choices. More confusing.
So, I decided to adopt combination of both hiranya and offering of food.
I am also suggested by my sastrigal to perform left out things before 12th month.
Thanks
Raja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back