• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ganapati Dyanam - Meaning of Shuklam Bhartram..

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]What is Ganapati Dyanam..?[/h]We do Ganapati Dyanam before beginning any vedic ritual. In fact Ganapati Dyanam could be done before we do any activity. It could be done before we start our work, before we begin exercises, before we go to sleep.

Ganapati Dyanam is interpreted as prayers to Lord Ganapati or Lord Vigneswara. While there is nothing wrong in viewing Ganapati Dyanam as a prayer, the real meaning of Ganapati Dyanam is NOT that.

In Ganapati Dyanam we stimulate our brain and invoke our concentration to perform our work. We invoke mental peace to perform our actions.
[h=1]Ganapati Dyanam - The Mantra part[/h]

Shuklam bhaRtram Vishnum Sasi Varnam ChathurBhujam,
Prasanna Vadanam Dyayeth Sarva Vigna Upa Santhaye.

Shuklam - Spotless, Pure
bhaRtram - Preserving, Protecting
Vishnum – Ever working
Sasi Varnam - Reflecting (Moon colored)
Chatur Bhujam - Four Lobed, Four sided
Prasanna Vadanam – Pleasantly Expressed
Dyayeth - Thoughts
Sarva Vigna – In all actions
Upa Santhaye – Invoke peace

The meaning of above is "With Pure, Conscience Carrying, Ever working, Reflecting, four lobes, pleasantly expressing thoughts, I Invoke peace in all my actions"

[h=1]Invoking peace in actions[/h]
We close the eyes and meditate on these thoughts to invoke peace or be at peace with our actions that we are going to perform. In any action that we do, it is important that it does not disturb our mental peace and instead adds to it. Hence with every action we invoke and wish that it adds to our mental peace.

"Sarva Vigna Upa Santhaye" is the purpose of Ganapati Dyanam.

[h=1]Pleasantly expressed thoughts[/h]How can we achieve that mental peace..?

We can achieve mental peace in our actions with pleasantly expressed thoughts. Prasanna Vadanam is pleasantly expressed. Dyayeth is thoughts or meditation. When we perform our actions we should perform with pleasantly expressed thoughts.

When our thoughts are pleasantly expressed, our actions result in mental peace in our actions.

We may be conveying the 'worst ' of a news. We may be extremely angry or jealous or saddened. We may be extremely happy, proud or in high spirits. But we would need to perform our actions or convey ourselves with pleasantly expressed thoughts.

[h=1]With four lobes[/h]Chatur-Bhujam is interpreted as ‘four-armed’. Literally Bhujam in sanskrit represent sides or lobes. (Arms are on the sides) Chatur Bhujam means four armed or four sided or four lobed. Our Brain is four lobed (Frontal Lobe, Parietal Lobe, Occipital Lobe, Temporal Lobe). Chatur-Bhujam thus indicates with with all four lobes or fully focused.

We need to perform our actions fully focussed. Fully focussed meaning using all the four lobes. The Frontal lobe is responsible for 'motor' actions. The Parietal lobe is responsible for the 'senses of our body (pressure, touch, pain etc). The occipital lobe is responsible for audio processing. The temporal lobe is responsible for visual processing.

When we perform an action we need to integrate and focus our eyes, ears, senses and body movements in performing that action. When we perform with such focus and concentration we would be at mental peace with our actions. If any of the four is missing, it would be called 'half-hearted'.

[h=1]Reflecting[/h]
We would be at mental peace with our actions if they involve reflection. 'Sasi' means moon. 'Varnam' means colored/mask one wears. Moon-colored means reflecting, as moon color changes based on what it reflects.

Our actions has to reflect the 'Consciousness' in each of us. If we perform actions that do not reflect that consciousness, then we won't be at mental peace.

Our consciousness is in us as the representation of that Supreme Self, the Atman, the Supreme consciousness.

[h=1]Ever working[/h]Vishnu has several interpretations. One interpretation is 'worker'. Vishnu is ever-working. Our thoughts have to be ever-working when we perform an action. This is what is called as "Application of Mind".

When we perform an action without being alert, with our thoughts not continuously working, it becomes a task in which we do not apply our mind.

Hence those actions that we do where our thoughts are continuously working provide us mental peace.
[h=1]Protecting[/h]

'Bhartram' means carrying or maintaining or protecting. Our thoughts have to be protecting or preserving if we have to have mental peace in all our actions.

In other words our thoughts have to maintain, preserve and protect. They should not be destructive. Destructive thoughts will destroy our mental peace. When we perform an action, we should do it with positive, preserving and protecting thoughts. If we do it with vengeance and destruction in mind, then it would spoil our peace.

Even a simple act like cooking, we need to do with protecting thoughts. Let's say some one cooks with lot of anger, then that action would not give peace.

[h=1]Pure[/h]Our thoughts have to be pure. They have to spotless. They need to be pure of anger, jealousy, pride, ego and such things that would make them impure.

[h=1]How to get mental peace in our actions ..?[/h]
Ganapati Dyanam answers that very well.

If we perform an action with pure thoughts, protecting thoughts, continuously active/working thoughts, Reflecting thoughts, using all four lobes of brain (fully focused thoughts), then that action would lead to us peace.
[h=1]Ganapati Dyanam - The Tantra Part[/h]

We hit our temple on both sides with closed fists. This is done to stimulate our brain. That stimulation brings focus and concentration to our brain. And then we recite this mantra.

Brain is the controller of all our actions. Stimulating the brain and reciting this mantra we repeat to ourselves with what thoughts we need to perform our action.

'Vigna' means action. Easwara means the Lord. Vigneswara is the Lord of all our actions. Vigneswara is the 'Brain' of our Universe.

In fact by nature, when we do something wrong, across all cultures, we hit our head with our hand. This is done as a natural mechanism to stimulate our brain and make it focused. What we do as part of this procedure is an improvised and correct version of the same.

Whenever we start any action, doing this Ganapati Dyanam by stimulating the brain and invoking peace in our actions from the consciousness helps us to get peace in that action.

Simply put, we need to be at peace with what we are doing, before we start doing it. This is the principle of Ganapati Dyanam.

-TBT

Hello sir, the meaning of sloka...we mediate on lord ganesa,who is clad in white ( represting purity) who is all pervading ,(present every where).,whose complexion is gray like that of ash (glowing with spiritual splendor )who has 4 arms ,who has bright countenance (depicting inner calm happiness )and who can destroy all obstacles ( in our spiritual and worldly path.) .The new version thought you given is good.

hi

Ganesha Shloka (Shuklam Baradharam Vishnum) - YouTube

This video is a humble offering at the feet of our Lord Ganesha.

Ganesha Shloka

Shuklam Baradharam Vishnum,
Shashi Varnam Chatur Bhujam
Prasanna Vadanam Dhyayet,
Sarva Vighna Upashaanthaye

Meaning: We meditate on Lord Ganesha - who is clad in white (representing purity), who is all pervading (present everywhere), whose complexion is gray like that of ash (glowing with spiritual splendor), who has four arms, who has bright countenance (depicting inner calm and happiness) and who can destroy all obstacles (in our spiritual and worldly path).

shukla - white
ambara - garment
dharam - worn, adorned
vishnum - all pervading
shashi - moon, pure, white
varnam - colour
chatur- four
bhujam -hands
prasanna - happy
vadanam - face
dhyayeth - pray, meditate
sarva - all
vighna - obstacles
upa - near
shantaye -silence or bliss

[h=4]Category:[/h] Music
[h=4]License:[/h] Standard YouTube License

Last edited:
What is Ganapati Dyanam..?

We do Ganapati Dyanam before beginning any vedic ritual. In fact Ganapati Dyanam could be done before we do any activity. It could be done before we start our work, before we begin exercises, before we go to sleep.

Ganapati Dyanam is interpreted as prayers to Lord Ganapati or Lord Vigneswara. While there is nothing wrong in viewing Ganapati Dyanam as a prayer, the real meaning of Ganapati Dyanam is NOT that.

In Ganapati Dyanam we stimulate our brain and invoke our concentration to perform our work. We invoke mental peace to perform our actions.
Ganapati Dyanam - The Mantra part

Shuklam bhaRtram Vishnum Sasi Varnam ChathurBhujam,
Prasanna Vadanam Dyayeth Sarva Vigna Upa Santhaye.

Shuklam - Spotless, Pure
bhaRtram - Preserving, Protecting
Vishnum – Ever working
Sasi Varnam - Reflecting (Moon colored)
Chatur Bhujam - Four Lobed, Four sided
Prasanna Vadanam – Pleasantly Expressed
Dyayeth - Thoughts
Sarva Vigna – In all actions
Upa Santhaye – Invoke peace

The meaning of above is "With Pure, Conscience Carrying, Ever working, Reflecting, four lobes, pleasantly expressing thoughts, I Invoke peace in all my actions"

Invoking peace in actions

We close the eyes and meditate on these thoughts to invoke peace or be at peace with our actions that we are going to perform. In any action that we do, it is important that it does not disturb our mental peace and instead adds to it. Hence with every action we invoke and wish that it adds to our mental peace.

"Sarva Vigna Upa Santhaye" is the purpose of Ganapati Dyanam.

Pleasantly expressed thoughts

How can we achieve that mental peace..?

We can achieve mental peace in our actions with pleasantly expressed thoughts. Prasanna Vadanam is pleasantly expressed. Dyayeth is thoughts or meditation. When we perform our actions we should perform with pleasantly expressed thoughts.

When our thoughts are pleasantly expressed, our actions result in mental peace in our actions.

We may be conveying the 'worst ' of a news. We may be extremely angry or jealous or saddened. We may be extremely happy, proud or in high spirits. But we would need to perform our actions or convey ourselves with pleasantly expressed thoughts.

With four lobes

Chatur-Bhujam is interpreted as ‘four-armed’. Literally Bhujam in sanskrit represent sides or lobes. (Arms are on the sides) Chatur Bhujam means four armed or four sided or four lobed. Our Brain is four lobed (Frontal Lobe, Parietal Lobe, Occipital Lobe, Temporal Lobe). Chatur-Bhujam thus indicates with with all four lobes or fully focused.

We need to perform our actions fully focussed. Fully focussed meaning using all the four lobes. The Frontal lobe is responsible for 'motor' actions. The Parietal lobe is responsible for the 'senses of our body (pressure, touch, pain etc). The occipital lobe is responsible for audio processing. The temporal lobe is responsible for visual processing.

When we perform an action we need to integrate and focus our eyes, ears, senses and body movements in performing that action. When we perform with such focus and concentration we would be at mental peace with our actions. If any of the four is missing, it would be called 'half-hearted'.

Reflecting

We would be at mental peace with our actions if they involve reflection. 'Sasi' means moon. 'Varnam' means colored/mask one wears. Moon-colored means reflecting, as moon color changes based on what it reflects.

Our actions has to reflect the 'Consciousness' in each of us. If we perform actions that do not reflect that consciousness, then we won't be at mental peace.

Our consciousness is in us as the representation of that Supreme Self, the Atman, the Supreme consciousness.

Ever working

Vishnu has several interpretations. One interpretation is 'worker'. Vishnu is ever-working. Our thoughts have to be ever-working when we perform an action. This is what is called as "Application of Mind".

When we perform an action without being alert, with our thoughts not continuously working, it becomes a task in which we do not apply our mind.

Hence those actions that we do where our thoughts are continuously working provide us mental peace.
Protecting

'Bhartram' means carrying or maintaining or protecting. Our thoughts have to be protecting or preserving if we have to have mental peace in all our actions.

In other words our thoughts have to maintain, preserve and protect. They should not be destructive. Destructive thoughts will destroy our mental peace. When we perform an action, we should do it with positive, preserving and protecting thoughts. If we do it with vengeance and destruction in mind, then it would spoil our peace.

Even a simple act like cooking, we need to do with protecting thoughts. Let's say some one cooks with lot of anger, then that action would not give peace.

Pure

Our thoughts have to be pure. They have to spotless. They need to be pure of anger, jealousy, pride, ego and such things that would make them impure.

How to get mental peace in our actions ..?

Ganapati Dyanam answers that very well.

If we perform an action with pure thoughts, protecting thoughts, continuously active/working thoughts, Reflecting thoughts, using all four lobes of brain (fully focused thoughts), then that action would lead to us peace.
Ganapati Dyanam - The Tantra Part

We hit our temple on both sides with closed fists. This is done to stimulate our brain. That stimulation brings focus and concentration to our brain. And then we recite this mantra.

Brain is the controller of all our actions. Stimulating the brain and reciting this mantra we repeat to ourselves with what thoughts we need to perform our action.

'Vigna' means action. Easwara means the Lord. Vigneswara is the Lord of all our actions. Vigneswara is the 'Brain' of our Universe.

In fact by nature, when we do something wrong, across all cultures, we hit our head with our hand. This is done as a natural mechanism to stimulate our brain and make it focused. What we do as part of this procedure is an improvised and correct version of the same.

Whenever we start any action, doing this Ganapati Dyanam by stimulating the brain and invoking peace in our actions from the consciousness helps us to get peace in that action.

Simply put, we need to be at peace with what we are doing, before we start doing it. This is the principle of Ganapati Dyanam.

-TBT

Shri TBT sir,

Much of what is given in the above post, is not correct, imho. It looks as if this had been written by someone without adequate sanskrit knowledge. The most glaring is the mistake in the mantra (śloka) itself; "Shuklam bhaRtram" is a howler and it must be "śukḷāṃbara dharaṃ". Next, the word "Shukla" means 'white' and in a way, it now also refers to the semen and the latter is the more prevalent usage nowadays when the word (an adjective) appears alone. There is no sanskrit word "bhaRtram".

So, if you have copied this entire stuff from some web resources, kindly provide the url, as that is one requirement in this Forum.

I will like to make two comments on this śloka. One, it is addressed to viṣvaksena, the vaishnavite deity identical to Vinayaka, (but, ardent people nowadays try their best to whitewash and justify that it is a prayer to Ganesha) and, two, the Vinayaka himself appears to be a late entrant into Hindu smārta worship system. Kindly refer to the following:

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/4392-shuklam-baratharam.html

Last edited:
Dear Sangom,

Before I respond to your charge on bhaRtram, can u help me with what all defects you see in this interpretation..? It would help me to improve and also respond.

:)

Thanks and Regards

Sir,

I know the standard 'meanings' 'interpretations' given to this sloka.

As a person who does Sandhya Vandanam regularly, I ought to know it, right

thanks for taking pains to give the reference.

thanks and regards

Thanks Dr. Narayani, for liking my 'new' meaning.

I know the 'meanings' that are in vogue. So no issues. This is just the start of my travel. You will see more of it

-TBT

Dear Sangom,

Before I respond to your charge on bhaRtram, can u help me with what all defects you see in this interpretation..? It would help me to improve and also respond.

:)

Thanks and Regards

TBT,

My disagreement with your interpretation is that you seem to be guided by Humpty Dumpty's rule in Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass", and I quote the following:

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!' "
"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'," Alice objected.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master that's all."

As I said in the other post, i have taken care that all my translations are well backed up by Cologne, Monier-williams dictionaries, aligned with Prabhupada's translations in Bhagavatha and Bhagavad Gita, Aurobindos translations and translations given by CR Lanman and a host of other translations that I have read.

What I am interested in is, if u find that I have deviated, then I can correct or improvise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back