• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Euthanasia and assisted suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it ever the right or moral thing to do? Is it a blanket no way, our death is in Providence' hands and however much someone is suffering, its definitely not allowed to assist them to die? After the suicide thread it has got me thinking about this.

I struggle with this. My personal opinion is that it is a grey area (I have a friend who thinks I don't do grey areas! :)).

Recently there have been many high profile cases in the UK wrt to this. Most of the sufferers have had MS and that is a cruel progressive disease if I'm not wrong, where you get worse and worse (depending on the type of MS). The last case, this man went to court to be allowed to die by assisted suicide. He had locked in syndrome after a stroke and could only move his eyeballs.

So what is your opinion, people. Black, white or..er..50 shades of grey! (pun intended)

BBC News - Tony Nicklinson loses High Court right-to-die case

Last edited:
Is it ever the right or moral thing to do?
I struggle with this. My personal opinion is that it is a grey area (I have a friend who thinks I don't do grey areas! :)).

I agree with it. It is gray.
I value quality of life more than life itself.
But I also believe that we have to deal with the life we have been dealt with.

Is it ever the right or moral thing to do? Is it a blanket no way, our death is in Providence' hands and however much someone is suffering, its definitely not allowed to assist them to die? After the suicide thread it has got me thinking about this.

Recently there have been many high profile cases in the UK wrt to this. Most of the sufferers have had MS and that is a cruel progressive disease if I'm not wrong, where you get worse and worse (depending on the type of MS). The last case, this man went to court to be allowed to die by assisted suicide. He had locked in syndrome after a stroke and could only move his eyeballs.

So what is your opinion, people. Black, white or..er..50 shades of grey! (pun intended)

hi
suicide has 2 sides of coin....one is human emotional issues/ medical issues.....in some medical issues....death is better than living....

right to live....right to die....no law can prevent......its purely individual choice.....

Dear Amala

It is grey area indeed. It is up to the individual going through the misery. The law makers have to be careful when they make the law. Make sure it won't become precedent for the future. I recommended few patients for palliative care. It is not same as euthanasia.

I am still waiting for 50 shades of grey :eyebrows:

Kind Regards

Dear Amala,

Life and death( as in assisted suicide) is like marriage...we make the decision when to get married and when to call it the quits.

My only concern is the Karmic effects..in the sense we have no idea which astral loka we go to after suicide or do we start to haunt and have a difficult after life.

Cos we have no idea if the after life will be better than current life.

So on Karmic grounds I would not really recommend Euthanasia.

Greetings. Sorry, off the topic.

Amirtha said -
I am still waiting for 50 shades of grey :eyebrows:

I could not resist. From one of the pages I frequent.... 50 shades.....

Cheers!

Attachments

• 50 shades.jpg
    50 shades.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 115
the solution is as difficult as was the decision about organ donation few years back. suicide of healthy person is not acceptable and honour killing can be accepted on extreme medical ground once the doctor decided that there will not be any use of further treatment .in olden days are not the saint attained jeeva samathy once they think that his mission is over ?
guruvayurappan

the solution is as difficult as was the decision about organ donation few years back. suicide of healthy person is not acceptable and honour killing can be accepted on extreme medical ground once the doctor decided that there will not be any use of further treatment .in olden days are not the saint attained jeeva samathy once they think that his mission is over ?
guruvayurappan

The saints were able to control their Kundalini and they knew their time is up and attained Maha Samadhi..I would not equate that with Atma Hatya.

it is necessary to distinguish such topics as euthanasia, physician-assisted suicide, informed consent and refusal, advance directives, pregnant patients, surrogate decision-making (including neonates), DNR orders, irreversible loss of consciousness, quality of life (as a criterion for limiting end-of-life care), withholding and withdrawing intervention, and futility.

the PROS AND CONS:

Arguments against it are based on the integrity of medicine as a profession.

autonomy and quality-of-life-base arguments are made in support of euthanasia, underscored by claims that when the only way to relieve a dying patient's pain or suffering is terminal sedation with loss of consciousness, death is a preferable alternative.

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN CONTROVERSIAL FOR A VERY LONG TIME. As of 2011, active euthanasia is only legal in the three countries

Matters to consider when planning an advance directive
Opinion about the following situationsWould prefer to dieWould probably prefer to dieUncertain either wayWould probably prefer to liveEager to stay alive
Permanently paralysed but able to relate to others.
Totally dependent on others. Needs to be fed.
Aware but unable to communicate.
Confused and very poor memory.
Constant uncontrolled pain.
Brain damage. In coma. If regained consciousness, markedly impaired.

ok..this is getting very technical. I'm not sure I understand what an advanced directive is

It is like a living will, it basically directs others as to your wishes, in case you are incapacitated. It is good to have will like this as it saves the family members from making a choice, that you may not want.

Thank you Prasad Sir. So its a bit like assisted suicide, except it wont be suicide if one is incapacitated, but assisted death....

Thank you Prasad Sir. So its a bit like assisted suicide, except it wont be suicide if one is incapacitated, but assisted death....

No it is not suicide at all. It just instruction of treatment or withholding of treatment if one become incapacitated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back