• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Not facing murtis while praying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some Hindus facing sideways, like parallel to murtis while praying. Sometimes even sitting that way instead of facing the murti directly. Why?

Where did you see it?
In temple, or other places where a large number of people have to be accommodated, a side ways stance will allow more number of people to see the murti. It is generally civic sense and not religious IMO. If there is space and place people will face the murti directly. One does not show their back to any murti. Sometimes the arrangement of murti's in modern temple is such that, you may be forced to do namaskaram facing only one direction.

I have seen some Hindus facing sideways, like parallel to murtis while praying. Sometimes even sitting that way instead of facing the murti directly. Why?

Yes I remember seeing this in some TV serial too...but it did not really strike me then.
Good you brought this up but frankly speaking God is supposed to be in all directions so I guess which ever direction is fine.

May be experts can advise here.

mr. prasad said the truth .only the civic sense not to hinder dharsan to others ,the side way prayer is practiced .but many people are over enthusiastic and stand facing the GOD and obstructing the view to others and get scolded (standing like nandhi ).even some people will be raising their both hands over their heads and make problem for others. no problem standing facing the god and lifting their hands when there is no rush . the front row viewers can sit also and tall people can give way to short people which will facilitate darsan to all
guruvayurappan

dear renuka ji !
TV serial showing side way prayer is to achieve their commercial aspect .the women folk will be shown in different angle and the deity decoration can also be shown.If the camaraman taste is something he will be showing something else .it canbe taken as guide for worship.
guruvayurappan

Yes I remember seeing this in some TV serial too...but it did not really strike me then.
Good you brought this up but frankly speaking God is supposed to be in all directions so I guess which ever direction is fine.

May be experts can advise here.

Let us not take the TV serial as our guide of our culture and practice. LOL

Thank you everyone for your replies. Yeah even I saw a couple of times in some serials, especially TB people praying side ways. Even in the temple here some do. I thought perhaps its because they felt it direspectful to face the sannidhi/murti/picture directly and to show reverence.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Yeah even I saw a couple of times in some serials, especially TB people praying side ways. Even in the temple here some do. I thought perhaps its because they felt it direspectful to face the sannidhi/murti/picture directly and to show reverence.

You do not show your feet to the murti. So when doing namaskaram you need to be mindful of that. But even that is tradition, God is everywhere.

perhaps to get lords kadaksham. we yearn for his side glance.

ஹரே ராம அவர்கள் சொன்னதைபோல நம் எல்லோருக்கும் தேவை அவரின் (கடவுளின் )கடைக்கண் பார்வை குருவாயுரப்பன்

Sowbagyavathy Amala, Greetings.

I may not be eligible to comment here. But, to my knowledge, facing murthi directly is not respectful. Other learned members mentioned about civic sense which may be quite applicable in temples, particularly at the sanctum sanctorum. But when I used to pray at home, I always sat sideways. Not only while praying, when I was young, I did not face elders at home directly; always stood to one side. ( when I use to get beaten up, it was always different though. I had to face direct and look up). In most of the cases, the person who performs the pooja/prayer sits sideways; the persons taking part in the pooja sits facing, slightly further away. I don't know if there is any sastram for this. So, I could be wrong.

Cheers!

Dear Amala ji

I think after many years we are meeting by this thread again, if am not wrong (after "Archanai"). I go with my Raghy uncle. facing is of so many kinds. You will stand behind, when you don't want to face a person. You will look directly and speak with persons whom you treat equal to you. But as we all accept, when we worship (it itself means superior) sidewards is better. When you sit side of the deity and worship, even in your home, you will see the eyes of the god directly facing view. Only when trying you can feel this. You can say why not in direct worship. When we stand directly infront of god, we can see all his beauty. But to get the grace from his eyes, we have to see from side wards.

Anyhow, we have to see the deity from all the sides (Munnazhagu, pinnazhagu) everything and should concentrate them in our mind. Side-view is always grace.

One more main thing: Lords like Saneeswara, Jyeshta Devi should always be worshipped sidewards as their direct drishti will not bring merits.

Pranams.

HAPPY TO SEE ALL OUR MEMBERS AGAIN. :)

Once a person takes Deeksha to perform the Pooja, the procedure is taught very clearly.
There are many instructions and different people follow different methods. First of all, one
has to follow certain general guidelines while performing pooja. There is a booklet in this
connection in Giri Trading Company explaining all the features. Before we discuss about
the pooja, there are certain guidelines about keeping the pictures of the Lords at home
and where the pooja room is to be kept, etc. Normally, it is said that one should not
sit in front of the idol in the temple because of cosmic power that is generated from the
Yantram installed at the Deity in the Grarbagraham.

As regards directions of sitting, as regards temple is concerned, one should not sit
facing the idol because, it wouldn't be visible to the devotees who are watching the
pooja, etc. In respect of the house is concerned, suppose if the picture is kept facing
east, which is always most preferred, the person should sit on the right side facing
North. The same thing is followed in the temple also, where the Murthy is facing East.
If the picture is placed facing north, the pooja performer may have to sit facing east.
One should not sit facing the image directly. Suppose, if the above directions are
not viable, in that case, one arrange the pictures facing west (which is normally
suggested - except in few very temples) and sit in front of the picture facing east
and do the pooja. But again one has to sit slightly at the side and not directly. Here, one
aspect should be considered i.e. one should not sit on the right side facing south to
do the pooja. One should not sit on the left side of the Image. Generally, the pictures
are not kept facing the south direction and also the person should not sit facing
south direction. I am told that it is not proper according to Hindu Sasthras.
Similarly one should not eat the food without offering to God or prior to performing the
pooja as the case may be. Normally, if a person takes Deeksha, the Guru teaches
everything with clarity.

I have given the above in two boxes so as to clearly identify it.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Thank you all for you replies. Thank you DurgadasanJi. Yes its been a long time since you posted here.

Kum. amala,

The above practice stems from our (Tabra) system of performing the household 'panchaayatana' pooja by sitting facing sideways. Usually the person performing pooja sits north-facing while the idols are arranged east-facing. I feel this is to avoid the onlookers and devotees from not getting a clear darshan of the pooja.

Nice punch. How many can gate crash into a ten by ten puja room from a southerly direction and move into north eastern corner for getting a better view of the puja and the 'cheshtai' of the karta!

Sadashiv peth brahmins of pune have a better solution. They park the bicycle blocking the main entrance from the street. Who will dare to move the bike? (P L Deshphande's humour)

Another one: The lucky brahmin boy is in US for higher studies or is employed and comfortably settled. The local brahmin boy makes an ISD call (at one rupee per second) perhaps for getting some information. Pat comes the recorded message - I am out, call later. The indian brahmin does not get a chance even to leave a message.

It appears that all brahmins are quirky!

I feel this is to avoid the onlookers and devotees from not getting a clear darshan of the pooja.

In many Tamil Nadu temple the central aile, all the way from Garbha gram is condoned off by permanent railing for the priest. The door being narrow and short you literally have to crane your neck to see the murti. So during arati you have to stand side ways. This is not the case in other temples. Also people do not like to sit facing South or west, the murti is generally facing East, so you are left with only option of facing North.

So I do not think there is any religious reason for praying side ways.

When special poojas are arranged at home, the Swami is kept facing the east. If the kartha sits facing the Swami,

he will show his back to the other people, which is normally considered as showing disrespect! He can not sit facing

the South. The only option as Prasad Sir has mentioned is to face the North. One advantage of sitting this way will

enable the kartha to offer flowers to Swami with his right hand very easily, sideways. (You may try this action!!) :)

Of course, during mangaLa hArathi, everyone stands up!

...... So I do not think there is any religious reason for praying side ways.
In all the crowded temples like Tirupati, Palani and Guruvayoor, people are allowed to go to the nearest possible place to the Swami

and pray facing the Lord for a few seconds! :pray2:

Normally we worship God facing Him or Her. Nowadays in big temples the pilgrims are regulated and are asked to walk thru'
a certain path only. If the crowd is large we are pushed and we get a sideway glance only.

As far as namaskaram is concerned it is done facing East, West and North. Doing it towards the southern direction is
prohibited because pithrus are supposed to live on the southern side only. This is the reason for changing poonal
as pracheenavithi while doing tharpanams.

While the idol of Lord Dakshinamoorthy is on the southern side of the sanctum santorum of Shiva sannidhi, the idol
of Durga devi is on the northern side. In such cases we do namaskaram facing west or east.

Lord Shiva is facing South and hence he is known as Dakshinamurthy. Durga is only
a manifestation of Shakthi. Besides, Durga is considered as an invincible power of
nature and is associated with the legend of the destruction of the demon Mahishasuran.
Goddess Durga is also armed herself with Lord Shiva's trident, Lord Vishnu's discus and mace,
Lord Kumaraa's spear and Lord Indra's thunderbolt. In fact she was revealed through
the northern side i.e. uttaramnaya face, which is one of the six faces of Lord Shiva.
Hence, there is one opinion that is why Goddess Durga is facing north.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Sometimes I wonder is directions all the important cos at the end of the day in Narayana Upanishad its says:

दिशश्च नारायनः
Dishashca Narayana

Directions are Narayana.

So if God is in every direction why worry?

I guess the only important direction is being Eka Gratha...One Pointedness of the mind.

Last edited:
I wonder how does all these directions apply when an astronaut decides to pray in space?

Since space tourism might be an imminent possibility, so some space tourist might decide not to neglect his Nithya Karma and which direction should he face to pray in space?

Last edited:
dear renukaji !
the questions are for ordinary people and not for people of your status. it is like a story in which a sanyasi asked one baktha (the baktha asked the sanyasi not to show his feet to GOD while he was taking rest in a temple )to place his feet in the direction where GOD is not present.when he tried siva lingam has appeared wherever the feet were placed .
guruvayurappan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back