• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why do we keep believing in superstitions and foist it on others

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Think rationally about the superstitions you believe in. Is there any real reason that the number 13 should be unlucky? Why should black cats be more unlucky than any other cat? Can finding a four-leaf clover really cause good fortune to rain down upon your head? If a rabbit's foot were really lucky, wouldn't the original owner (that is, the rabbit) still own it?

Consider which superstitions cause regular inconvenience to you. Are you constantly staring at the ground to avoid stepping on cracks to the point of bumping into people on the street? Do you take winding detours in order to avoid crossing the path of a black cat? The superstitions which cause trouble for you on a regular basis are the ones you should focus on first.

Find ways to prove to yourself that these superstitions have no basis in reality. Leave your rabbit's foot at home and see how your day goes. Go ahead and step on a few cracks. Pass on by the clover patch. Incorporate the number 13 into your day (spend 13 dollars at the store, send 13 emails to your friends.

When making decisions rely on common sense and a sound pattern of reasoning as opposed to weird feelings and supposed supernatural signs.

Realize that you have the power to make your own luck. While you can't control all the circumstances in your life, you can control how you react to them and what you do about it.

Not all superstitions are harmful. It's perfectly all right to wish upon a few stars or have a "lucky" shirt as long as you don't take it all too seriously.

While walking under ladders isn't usually bad luck, you might end up with paint dripped on your head, or worse, a tool. Obey signs around outdoor work for practical safety reasons. If a hard hat zone is declared, a hard hat is needed from experience of dropping items!

How to Stop Being Superstitious: 5 Steps - wikiHow

I'm not attempting to justify superstitions but some of them may have had some valid reasoning behind it. Like my mother telling me to not cut my nails during dusk/night/twilight. Or sweep the floor at nights (you're shooing away Mahalakshmi or something). I'm just wondering if all those days ago, there was no electricity and lights and so one might accidentally hurt oneself cutting fingernails in the dark or sweep away important stuff etc.

I'm not attempting to justify superstitions but some of them may have had some valid reasoning behind it. Like my mother telling me to not cut my nails during dusk/night/twilight. Or sweep the floor at nights (you're shooing away Mahalakshmi or something). I'm just wondering if all those days ago, there was no electricity and lights and so one might accidentally hurt oneself cutting fingernails in the dark or sweep away important stuff etc.

Those are not superstitions, those are precautions, Just like not walking under a ladder. Those are valid points, but a drama was added by concocting a story. If a simple explanation is given, then people might ignore it.

Dear Prasad Sir,

It is not said, 'Do not walk under the ladder if someone is standing on it!'. If a ladder lies idle, then too people

fear to go under it. Is it not a superstition? :confused:

P.S: If I have an early morning appointment (usually to attend a wedding) and if I was busy on the previous day,

I cut my nails at night wearing my reading glasses in a well lit room! :becky:

I really do not believe in any so called superstitions..some of it might actually cause inconvenience to another person.

Before I started my own practice I used to work for another doctor who was extremely superstitious...if pay day were to fall on a Friday he would never pay me and the nurses on that day but only pay us the following day.

He said that Mahalakshmi will leave if he gives money on a Friday!

Some of the nursing staff used to feel bad that they had to wait for one more day if pay day fell on a Friday.

In fact one of the nurses actually borrowed money from me cos of this delay in pay as she needed to buy milk for her child since her husband too was not earning much.

So tell me how will Mahalakshmi stay if we deny a person her pay on time when there is a child at home that needs milk?

I feel if anyone has a problem making payments on Friday they should at least give it one day earlier instead of one day later.

Last edited:

Dear Renu,

I had a different experience! Once I gave the 'pongal saree' (used occasionally) and tips to my helper maid and
you know what she asked me? 'akkA! sevvAik kizhamai idhai thareengaLE! neenga nallA irukka vENdAmA?' :scared:

Dear Renu,

I had a different experience! Once I gave the 'pongal saree' (used occasionally) and tips to my helper maid and
you know what she asked me? 'akkA! sevvAik kizhamai idhai thareengaLE! neenga nallA irukka vENdAmA?' :scared:

Dear RR ji,

The lady is a well wisher.

I will tell you my experience...I give my staff money on their due pay day.

Long back I had an Indian staff and once I gave her her pay on the 1st of January and she said "Today is the 1st day of the year and you are letting money go out of hand"

I told her "Thanks for your good thoughts so do you wish to take your pay today or tomorrow?"

Then she said "Doc only give me my pay today and give the other staffs pay tomorrow so at least you have some Lakhsmi staying with you for the rest of the year"

I started laughing and told her that I will pay everyone on the same day itself.

Last edited:
I know Renu! Even if I don't believe in some days to avoid giving payment or gifts, other believers scare me like this! :)

Dear RR ji ,

No need to be scared cos you are giving the gift to the right person who even though is not well to do in the material scale yet she wishes the best for others..so giving such a person a gift on any day of the week is a blessing for anyone.

Superstition: An irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear

This is the dictionary meaning. If the the negative and unjustified epithets are remove, only 'belief' remains.

If both A and B have the same belief or 'no belief', there is no conflict in their interaction.

If A and B have different beliefs, then they have to resolve when a conflict occurs. I don't start a journey during rahu kalam, and I have not faced difficulty in convincing others while planning a trip. Even when doing puja in workplace, for launching a new product or commissioning a new service, the people concerned directly (the workers, staff etc.), raise issues of good days (no ashtami, navmi) or time, which is accepted by the seniors. Such beliefs are held by all, not by brahmins alone.

Everybody has inherited these traditions from their families, communities; it is better to accept them or resolve in an acceptable way instead of deriding it or making fun or declaring the man as an idiot. If the maid does not want the gift or wages on ashtami or say at night or for some other 'belief', her belief must be respected.

Individuals may discard or acquire new beliefs as they progress in life; what one calls as superstition is sacred faith for another. He is the best judge to decide.

Only to all the traditionalists - DO NOT BELIVE A SINGLE WORD WRITTEN ON THIS THREAD EXCEPT MY POST OF COURSE !!

Superstitions come down the ages because it has happened repeatedly over many many generations & have stood the test of time. These are called the grandmother tales that were passed on like the Vedas !!

Look at how each & every superstition has been transmitted in each of our communities without fail !!

Please follow them religiously, it will stand you in good stead like it did for our ancestors !!

Let the new age people learn the hard way, like they are learning in many areas like marriage etc.. Mark my words – these so called trend setters will fall & become the example for the rest of the world to follow the ancient tradition of superstitions!!

Last edited:
Only to all the traditionalists - DO NOT BELIVE A SINGLE WORD WRITTEN ON THIS POST !!

SUPERSITIONS COME DOWN THE AGES BECAUSE IT HAS HAPPENED REPEATEDLY OVER MANY MANY GENERATIONS. THESE ARE CALLED THE GRANDMOTHER TALES THAT WERE PASSED ON LIKE THE VEDAS !!

LOOK AT HOW EACH & EVERY SUPERSTITION HAS BEEN TRANSMITTED IN EACH OF OUR COMMUNITIES WITHOUT FAIL !!

PLEASE FOLLOW THEM RELIGIOUSLY, IT WILL STAND YOU IN GOOD STEAD LIKE IT DID FOR OUR ANCESTORS !!

LETS THE NEW AGE PEOPLE LEARN THIS THE HARD WAY, LIKE THEY ARE LEARNING IN MANY AREAS LIKE MARRIAGE ETC.. MARK MY WORDS - THESE TREND SETTERS WILL FALL & BE THE EXAMPLE FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD TO FOLLOW THE ANCIENT TRADITION OF SUPERSTITIONS !!!

To all Non Traditionalists!

Please do not believe the post above!LOL

The writer feels Grandmother tales = Vedas...passed down by word of mouth.

I guess he is not too sure of the differences.

Vedas is Pramanyam(authority) for believers of any Astika Philosophy but Superstition is Pramanyam for those who do not surrender to God.

So my dear friends...The TRUTH is Out There...Do not rely on Superstition...Use Viveka and surrender to God and leave everything to His Will.

You do not need Superstition! You only need God!

Vedas is Pramanyam(authority) for believers of any Astika Philosophy but Superstition is Pramanyam for those who do not surrender to God.

So my dear friends...The TRUTH is Out There...Do not rely on Superstition...Use Viveka and surrender to God and leave everything to His Will.

You responded before I could make the minor correction on the first line of my post !!

To all the traditionalists – our belief in our ancient rishi’s, sanyasi’s & Guru’s are unshaken. Our grandmother tales comes from these great Rishi’s & we believe in them like the Vedas !!

Look at how closely we all follow the nakshatra’s, I know so many guys with Moola nakashtra ruling in their respective areas!!.

While many will say, so many people travel on 13[SUP]th[/SUP] & nothing happens. But when accidents happen, it mostly happens on 13[SUP]th[/SUP] or Shani Dasa or Rahu Kalam etc..

It is a common practice to say - treat this as vedavakku or if the advise is not acceptable - edu enna veda vakko.

There are hundreds of advises and recommendations and ordinances which may not have direct vedic reference. These are knowledge accumulated over a long period and transmitted to the succeeding generations orally as patti kathai or family practices or approved by the heads of the sect the person belongs. All engineering drawings used to carry the caution in bold letters - "Do not scale, when in doubt ask". So if one comes across a 'belief', he must ask the right person for a valid answer; must not ask a person who prefaces his reply with 'your patti is an idiot' before saying anything.

'Use viveka, surrender' is a noble concept, but that must not be trivialised for day to day and mundane activities. Perhaps a better advise would be, 'use viveka, consult, evaluate and follow/bypass belief' handed down by your parents, their parents, their parents and followed by some others.

Nimitham, sakunam vastu, and many such knowledge sources are getting a new recognition by the people concerned. You will find many housing projects are vastu compliant.

It is for the believers to sort out the issues they face. Blanket criticism and vocal abuse is not going to help.

So to conclude, there is no superstition, only faith. Rely on faith, if that faith sustains you. If you have no faith in the 'faith', do what pleases you. But don't put down faith.

So to conclude, there is no superstition, only faith. Rely on faith, if that faith sustains you. If you have no faith in the 'faith', do what pleases you. But don't put down faith.

Dear Sarang ji,

I did not put down any FAITH here.

I was only asking people to have Faith in God.

I had no idea that asking people to have Faith in God is considered "putting down faith"!LOL

The more I read some posts here the more I feel that it seems that only culture is important and not God.

Poor God yaar...He is the least appreciated by those who claim to be Theist!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Sarang ji,

I did not put down any FAITH here.

I was only asking people to have Faith in God.

I had no idea that asking people to have Faith in God is considered "putting down faith"!LOL

The more I read some posts here the more I feel that it seems that only culture is important and not God.

Poor God yaar...He is the least appreciated by those who claim to be Theist!LOL

No Renukaji,
Some people are hallucinating under the influence of ignorance and think they are on to some reality. Sometimes it is dangerous to wake up a sleeping dog, let them be in their state so they do not get up and bite.

Having faith in God is different than getting scared of the imaginary monster under the bed. The person who confuses the imaginary monster to God, need professional help, sometimes that needs room with rubber wall so they can bounce around and not hurt themselves.
LOL

There is nothing wrong in keeping little faith in all these matters - be it believing in supersition or looking for some auspicious time like Rahu Kalam etc. Even many contibutors to this post will be the believers of these things inspite of contrary postings.

In our organization when we went for UAT (User Acceptance Test) in ERP implementation, we commenced the same during Rahu Kalam and it failed. Subsequently, we have seen the good time and commnced. I am not telling the entire credit is to good time but good time also plays an important role. In two cases of shifting of office, I could have the courage to tell my MD that we should open the office after 9.00 AM (after Rahu Kalam) on Mondays.

As long as it is simple to follow and not having any major impact, it is better to observe these things.

Venkat K

There is nothing wrong in keeping little faith in all these matters - be it believing in supersition or looking for some auspicious time like Rahu Kalam etc. Even many contibutors to this post will be the believers of these things inspite of contrary postings.

In our organization when we went for UAT (User Acceptance Test) in ERP implementation, we commenced the same during Rahu Kalam and it failed. Subsequently, we have seen the good time and commnced. I am not telling the entire credit is to good time but good time also plays an important role. In two cases of shifting of office, I could have the courage to tell my MD that we should open the office after 9.00 AM (after Rahu Kalam) on Mondays.

As long as it is simple to follow and not having any major impact, it is better to observe these things.

Venkat K

Dear Sir,

It is not that some of us find fault with superstition it is just that some practices contradict what is even in religious text.

For example I do not believe in so called Rahu Kalam or any good time or even in directions the reason is :

1)I never believed it to start with cos as far as I know God is everywhere and also God is in every direction so how can one time be more favorable to the other and how can one direction be "holier" than the other.

2)Secondly...Time is "relative".

I will give you an example: it is 11.37am when I am typing this in forum.

It is 9.07am in India...I am typing this now and you are reading it now.

Assuming you are in India..the time you read is is 9.07am for you and its 11.37 am for me.

The moment is the same but the "time" is different..so 11.37am be some "unfavorable" time here and 9.07am might be some favorable time for India.

So how can 1 moment have 2 interpretations??

The reason is becos time is relative to the earth orbiting the sun.

So it is in relation to the sun time is calculated and the time differs even though the moment is the same...but the fact remains that the moment is the same.

3)Thirdly...this Time and directions is totally not possible to follow in space ..orbiting the earth itself we can see multiple sun sets and sun rises..so which is good time and bad time in space?

I guess that is why God is thought of as(In Narayana Upanishad)

Kalasca Narayanah

Time Verily is Narayanah

Disasca Narayanah

Directions are Narayanah.

So IF I believe that there is such thing as Good time and Bad time..Good directions and Bad directions that would equal to Classifying Narayana into a Good Narayana and Bad Narayana..which to me I feel is not right.

Hence this is why I do not believe in certain practices like superstitions.

Last edited:
Our culture, tradition, music, literature moves us all towards Bakthi and towards God & is a MUST for the traditional TBs.

I mean, if the new age people don't need any of this, why are they even on this forum (Dear KRS - I hope you don't get upset if I ask this question, it is more a contextual /relevant to this discussion), this forum is after all about our culture, slokams, traditions, etc..

Superstitions is strongly rooted in our ancient astrology, has a strong basis & has stood the test of time & most of us will continue to follow till eternity !!. Rest can do any leela they want in their lives !!

By the way, if all they need is only God, they why bother to waste their & others time with their unwanted advise. This is like the atheist telling the faithful about God.

To all the traditionalists - Some people are hallucinating under ignorance & think they are better than the combined wisdom of our ancients. It is dangerous to wake up a sleeping dog, let them be in their state so they do not get up to become an Asura and bite. of course they need immediate professional help for confusing their stupidity with intelligence & they need a strong steel room so that they can bounce around & hit themselves to oblivion !! LOL !

Last edited:
Our culture, tradition, music, literature moves us all towards Bakthi and towards God & is a MUST for the traditional TBs.

I mean, if the new age people don't need any of this, why are they even on this forum (Dear KRS - I hope you don't get upset if I ask this question, it is more a contextual /relevant to this discussion), this forum is after all about our culture, slokams, traditions, etc..

Superstitions is strongly rooted in our ancient astrology, has a strong basis & has stood the test of time & most of us will continue to follow till eternity !!. Rest can do any leela they want in their lives !!

By the way, if all they need is only God, they why bother to waste their & others time with their unwanted advise. This is like the atheist telling the faithful about God.

Dear Jaykay ji,

This I have no problems or objections cos I am not a TB so I would not comment on this.

Ok to this I am going to object...If you feel some of us are new age people how come you are using a lap top and typing here?? So I guess you are new age too and not STONE AGE!LOL

Yes you are right...this Forum is all about sloka/religion etc to which I am also a contributor from time to time.

I don't see any reason why membership of anyone needs to be questioned.

Now you contradict your own self..instead of trying to establish the logic behind some superstitions you say its = ancient astrology..now who will take you seriously when you call ancient astrology =superstition.

So the least you could do is try to find some reasonable logical answer to prove your point and who knows all of us non traditionalist might get your point.

BTW the rest of us are only awaiting the Leela of the "Vara Leela Gana Lola" kind.

BTW if what some need is only Superstition why bother to waste their time and others times with their unwanted advise?

This sounds like a person who claims to believe in God but rather believe that a black cat crossing his path will bring bad luck and not think that if he has faith in God nothing else matters.

It makes me wonder why some call themselves Theist to start with!LOL

Last edited:
Hi Renuka,

My reponse:

1. I am not referring New Age to technology, but to the new age thinking that culture, tradition, superstitions etc.. are not required.
  2. I am not questioning anyone’s membership here, but I am sure none will go to a Islamic forum & bad mouth their traditions, culture & superstitions etc.. if they do, I am sure they will get back royally.
  3. Yes, many of our superstitions are rooted in Astrology. For eg, Rahu Kalam, Shani Dasa are all from the Astrological traditions. Planetary & time has a major role in our lives. Apart from this, there are a few more which are passed on down the ages. If you think linking Astrology & superstitions are something to laugh about, so be it !!
  4. When did I say – we only need superstition – pl read my first line of the post – “Our culture, tradition, music, literature moves us all towards Bakthi and towards God & is a MUST for the traditional TBs.” Please do not assume.
  5. Yes, most of us believe strongly in God + the culture, traditions, astrology, superstitions etc.. Most believe, God works in mysterious ways & protects us by many many means including superstitions !!

Cheers,
JK

Hi Renuka,

My reponse:

1. I am not referring New Age to technology, but to the new age thinking that culture, tradition, superstitions etc.. are not required.
  2. I am not questioning anyone’s membership here, but I am sure none will go to a Islamic forum & bad mouth their traditions, culture & superstitions etc.. if they do, I am sure they will get back royally.
  3. Yes, many of our superstitions are rooted in Astrology. For eg, Rahu Kalam, Shani Dasa are all from the Astrological traditions. Planetary & time has a major role in our lives. Apart from this, there are a few more which are passed on down the ages. If you think linking Astrology & superstitions are something to laugh about, so be it !!
  4. When did I say – we only need superstition – pl read my first line of the post – “Our culture, tradition, music, literature moves us all towards Bakthi and towards God & is a MUST for the traditional TBs.” Please do not assume.
  5. Yes, most of us believe strongly in God + the culture, traditions, astrology, superstitions etc.. Most believe, God works in mysterious ways & protects us by many many means including superstitions !!

Cheers,
JK

Everyone including the most orthodox pick and choose their superstitions...I am sure majority of the most orthodox these days do NOT believe in "throwing away all cooked food, throwing away all earthern ware pots,cleaning the house with water and bring a cow into the house to render it pure again if a so called "untouchable" enters the house"

So same way..I a sure you too will pick and choose the practical superstitions to follow and not follow everything blindly.

1. I am not questioning anyone’s membership here, but I am sure none will go to a Islamic forum & bad mouth their traditions, culture & superstitions etc.. if they do, I am sure they will get back royally.

becos Sanathana Dharma is NOT = to Fundamentalism.

1. Yes, many of our superstitions are rooted in Astrology. For eg, Rahu Kalam, Shani Dasa are all from the Astrological traditions. Planetary & time has a major role in our lives. Apart from this, there are a few more which are passed on down the ages. If you think linking Astrology & superstitions are something to laugh about, so be it !!

I was not laughing at astrology..I was laughing at you!LOL

Cos astrology can be considered a science but you consider it = superstition.

I repeat..I was laughing at you!

1. When did I say – we only need superstition – pl read my first line of the post – “Our culture, tradition, music, literature moves us all towards Bakthi and towards God & is a MUST for the traditional TBs.” Please do not assume.

When did I say that people need superstition?

I never even objected to this line of your about TB culture since I am not a TB.

All I said in my last line of the post is "BTW if what some need is only Superstition..."

The word is IF..so it denotes something not mandatory...so please do not assume too.

1. Yes, most of us believe strongly in God + the culture, traditions, astrology, superstitions etc.. Most believe, God works in mysterious ways & protects us by many many means including superstitions !!

Yes you are right but dont forget some only believe in God and it is not that God works in a mysterious way...it is just that we humans do not have the capacity to understand God's logical way of working and we call it mystery mumbo jumbo.

So you see God =Logic...since we humans lack the capacity to comprehend God we call Him a Mystery.

That is why Theist at times do not have a logical stand cos they think that God is a Mystery.

Hi Renuka,

Rahu Kalam & Shani Dasa are rooted in Astrology. But you went saying that if Rahu Kalam in India starts at 8:51 am, then it is 11:25 in Malayasia, blah blah blah.

Pl be consistent, if astrology is a science, then it follows by your own logic that Rahu Kalam has a basis OR oh, wait, you want to argue selectively !! LOL !!

I did not equate astrology to superstitions – please read my post carefully – some superstitions have the basis/rooted in our ancient astrology, rest are passed down the generations !!. that’s does not mean astrology = superstitions. Pl read & understand clearly before responding - LOL !!

Not only am I laughing at you, the entire world is laughing at your response !!
Cheers,

By the way, I do not consider superstitions to be something laughed at or mocked at. only a certain set of people would do that !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back