• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

I C and I R weddings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends nn poorva janma tapo phala, iha-janma paapa-punyam, ishvara karuna, kula-deiva sahaayam, ishta-deva anugraham, deva-naama-paaraayanam at critical time of heavens falling, power of justicia to uphold caelum, et cetera.

Let's not under-rate the power of prayer at times of catastrophe.

"..... theshaam nithyaabhiyukthaanaam yogekshemam vahaam aham." Lord Krishna in the Geetha.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Depends nn poorva janma tapo phala, iha-janma paapa-punyam, ishvara karuna, kula-deiva sahaayam, ishta-deva anugraham, deva-naama-paaraayanam at critical time of heavens falling, power of justicia to uphold caelum, et cetera.

Let's not under-rate the power of prayer at times of catastrophe.

"..... theshaam nithyaabhiyukthaanaam yogekshemam vahaam aham." Lord Krishna in the Geetha.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

So many grades of prayer..from Istha Deva to Kula Devata etc..Punyam..Papam..bahut complicated yaar.

Why dont you just recite your name Narayanaswamy and you would be saved.

Its so simple for you..no need to indulge in over time doing rituals or reciting non stop mantras.
Just call out NARAYANASWAMY!!!

Sorry,am not the Ajaamila type. My record stands with Chithra Guptha.

You must have missed "deva-naama-paaraayanam at critical time of heavens falling" in my post.

No beating my own drum, blowing my own trumpet at a time of universal holocaust. Enough noise around.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

So many grades of prayer..from Istha Deva to Kula Devata etc..Punyam..Papam..bahut complicated yaar.
Why dont you just recite your name Narayanaswamy and you would be saved.
Its so simple for you..no need to indulge in over time doing rituals or reciting non stop mantras.
Just call out NARAYANASWAMY!!!

Renukaji,

I like that post of you.:nod:

Ore inam, ore kulam. We are all humans. God created all of us.

Manithan enru chollada, thalai nimirnthu nillada.

We seem to have largely accepted, albeit with some reservations, inter-cult, inter-community, inter-ethnic, inter-cultural, inter-language, inter-varna, inter-jaathi, inter-racial, inter-religious, inter-national unions. We are proud of and even boast of our multi-ethnicity and cross-border origins.

LGBTs are apparently also slowly gaining acceptance among us. God created them as God created all of us. It is not their fault that they are what they are, that they were born "that way". God willed it so. We should therefore show care and compassion,empathy, sympathy and understanding. We should interact with them, and integrate them where we can. They are not to blamed. We are (if we mock them or look down upon them).

All fine. Are we prepared now to extend all this sentiment, mental attitude, and milk of human kindness to another group of deserving humans?

Every year, every month, every week, every day, our male prisons, our female prisons, our detention centres for juvenile delinquents, our houses of corrections for wayward and runaway girls, and our other institutions of penal correction for offenders release into our midst, after they have paid the price imposed by the courts of justice, tens of thousands of former ex-convicts.

They are in need of acceptance, of a second chance to re-integrate into society, of homes and sympathetic mentors, guides, counsellors, friends, company, identity, dignity.

Are we prepared to stretch our sense of humanity and find for them spouses from among our sons and daughters, our brothers and sisters, our cousins of whatever descriptions, our uncles and aunts, our former school and university mates, our friends and acquaintances, our fellow-club members, even ourselves?

Their alleged crimes might well have ranged from simple drunkenness, pickpocketting, theft, housebreaking, burglary, to manslaughter, abduction, rape, molestation, drug-trafficking, financial fiddling, money-laundering, unprofessional conduct. They might not have been convicted if they had had a good lawyer.

"The quality of mercy is not strained," says William Shakespeare.

Can we show mercy to these released ex-jailbirds, male and female?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

I once was at a shopping mall where there was a shoot out cos of a robbery at a Gold shop.
2 died...one was the security guard and the other was a robber shot dead by another security guard.

There was also another medic shopping in that area..so we attended to the 2 shot individuals hoping to revive them..sadly both were dead.

I handled the robber..trying to revive him and the other medic tried to revive the security guard.

It did not matter to me who was the robber who was the victim here..both were human lives that needed to be revived. Just imagine if I had judged the robber and not try to revive him? That would have be just inhumane!

There have been many cases of criminals changed for good when they are out of their prison stint...rare ..but yet possible.

Why go so far..Ratnakara become Valmiki..wrote the text we revere today.
Angulimala too was a changed man after coming in contact with the Buddha.

Every human needs a chance to change.

That is why to be a Judge one actually does NOT judge the person but only JUDGES the crime committed..as an Advocate I think you should be more familiar with this scenario...these days there are a lot of psychotherapy and rehab for ex in mates.

Let everyone get a chance to reform.

Last edited:
Adding flavour to MasALA......!

Have we not read about a senior woman Police officer who when posted to head the Tihar Jail at New Delhi (which was considered as a punishment posting) paid more personal attention to uplift the living condition and to reform the lives of the inmates.

Tihar inmates are hard core criminals smugglers, mafias, rapists, murderers, drug sellers, dacoits among other convicts.

Some of whom considered bit harmful are confined to solitary confinement that is isolated from others and they call it cell.

The inmates may be around 7000 then, were accommodated in Tihar which was built with a capacity to accommodate 2500 at a time.

They were denied access to outside world.

This Police Officer, reported to have took more initiative to transfer this Jail into that of an Ashraman by introducing more welfare measures aimed at transformation of their lives.

She introduced education to inmates, she provided library to gain knowledge, they were trained to do repair works that got more revenue.

She ensured that inmates are provided with a chance to do something worthwhile and make them a useful citizen to the society.

It is indeed worth while to remember her here and her contributions to Tihar.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAANyAAAAJDlmNTBlMjkwLThkY2YtNGU2MC1iNDFkLTIxMWQ0YTdhMzExYw.jpg

Source: Google images.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. In LGBT, only the last category is God's creation (mis-creation??).

Other three can easily blame God for their behaviour against nature! :rant:

2. Being considerate to someone does NOT mean any marriage alliance with them! :nono:

3. Brahmin parents DON'T go in search of I C / I R alliances.

Many of them accept the choice of their children, JUST to continue the family unity. :grouphug:

"When the Heavens fall....."? Pray!

More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.
Wherefore, let thy voice rise like a fountain for me night and day.
For what are men better than sheep or goats that nourish a blind life within the brain,
If, knowing God, they lift not hands of prayer both for themselves and those who call them friends?
For so the whole round earth is every way bound by gold chains about the feet of God.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Ore inam, ore kulam. We are all humans. God created all of us.

Manithan enru chollada, thalai nimirnthu nillada.

We seem to have largely accepted, albeit with some reservations, inter-cult, inter-community, inter-ethnic, inter-cultural, inter-language, inter-varna, inter-jaathi, inter-racial, inter-religious, inter-national unions. We are proud of and even boast of our multi-ethnicity and cross-border origins.

LGBTs are apparently also slowly gaining acceptance among us. God created them as God created all of us. It is not their fault that they are what they are, that they were born "that way". God willed it so. We should therefore show care and compassion,empathy, sympathy and understanding. We should interact with them, and integrate them where we can. They are not to blamed. We are (if we mock them or look down upon them).

All fine. Are we prepared now to extend all this sentiment, mental attitude, and milk of human kindness to another group of deserving humans?

Every year, every month, every week, every day, our male prisons, our female prisons, our detention centres for juvenile delinquents, our houses of corrections for wayward and runaway girls, and our other institutions of penal correction for offenders release into our midst, after they have paid the price imposed by the courts of justice, tens of thousands of former ex-convicts.

They are in need of acceptance, of a second chance to re-integrate into society, of homes and sympathetic mentors, guides, counsellors, friends, company, identity, dignity.

Are we prepared to stretch our sense of humanity and find for them spouses from among our sons and daughters, our brothers and sisters, our cousins of whatever descriptions, our uncles and aunts, our former school and university mates, our friends and acquaintances, our fellow-club members, even ourselves?

Their alleged crimes might well have ranged from simple drunkenness, pickpocketting, theft, housebreaking, burglary, to manslaughter, abduction, rape, molestation, drug-trafficking, financial fiddling, money-laundering, unprofessional conduct. They might not have been convicted if they had had a good lawyer.

"The quality of mercy is not strained," says William Shakespeare.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Oh come on Iyer:

You cannot lump criminals with LGBT?

Animals also show gay love. There is a percentage of people in the world who are born as gay, lesbian , multiple sex or confused sex organs, transgender (man trapped in woman's body or other way around).

People are born with one leg, no real hips, born with backbone bent so they move like a dog ..... All these happen in nature.

All these people who dont fit your norm do not mean they are criminals.

Mr Iyer - you have to open your heart to accept nature and accept people , you write intelligently ..

Criminals can change - subject to choice. So they can be punished

LGBT cannot change. They are people like you.

Example: Gays: Just like you cannot become gay they (Gays) cannot become straight

Dear highly-respected a-TB

Sorry if I did not make myself clear to you.

I was simply NOT trying to "lump criminals with LGBT". Any more than I was "lumping" those contracting inter-caste and inter-racial marriages with LGBTs. Far from it.

On the contrary, I thought I had made it abundantly clear that by criminals ("jail-birds") I was referring only to those apprehended by the law enforcers, had had their day in the Courts, with learned defence counsel to argue on their behalf, were found guilty by the impartial and respected judges, were allowed to submit pleas of mitigation, were sentenced to terms of imprisonment in accordance with enacted law, served their sentences and, on completion, were released back into respectable society.

Learned defence counsel might well have argued during trial in open Court that their clients were completely innocent, or that the prosecution had not proved its case.

A very common defence I have met is one of "diminished responsibility". "God made me do it -- I was not aware of what I was doing. It was an act of God, not mine. I heard God's voice. I had no control over myself, and I just obeyed." Eminent psychiatrists were brought in to give expert evidence for the defence that the prisoner was insane and did not have the mens rea (culpable mind) to commit the offence. Close family members ere brought in to say almost the same thing.

There are, in our generous and "inclusive" society, concerned souls who tolerate mixed marriages and LGBTs. Who accept the situation as one of reality, not to be wished way, or ignored. "Humans are humans" was the standard-bearers' slogan. "We are all humans and should not discriminate among us." Who can argue with that?

All I was doing was to ask these do-gooders, these compassionate and selfless souls, to extend their compassion and generosity to ex-criminals. Especially those unfortunates who were hauled up without benefit of counsel because they were too poor to afford one, and were gaoled though innocent. Was I wrong? Deserving your censure?

In my criminal practice, many were cleared and released by the Court unharmed because I was able to prove that the Police had "planted" adverse evidence, especially in drug and theft cases. Regret to say, I have little confidence in the integrity of the Police. Or in their strength of character to resist bribes and corruption. Their uniform seems to clothe them with arrogance and a sense of superiority.

You write:-

"People are born with one leg, no real hips, born with backbone bent so they move like a dog ..... All these happen in nature.

"All these people who dont fit your norm do not mean they are criminals."

Please be honest. Where did I say that the disabled are criminals?

I have no "norm". E lsewhere in this forum I have written that no two people are alike. Even "identical" twins. As any Paediatrician will tell you.

Are we "normal" when we lose our temper? When cheering our team in a game? When we discover that someone very near and dear to us has "cheated" us, been "unfaithful"? When through our negligence we have killed a pedestrian, a patient? When death suddenly takes from us someone we dearly love? When a kidnapper abducts our child? When an arsonist burns our house down?

"Mr Iyer - you have to open your heart to accept nature and accept people ."

Mr a-TB - Aren't you being unsufferably patronising and a shade judgmental in accusing me of closing my heart and refusing to accept nature and people? Perhaps some mature reflection might have helped you assess the true situation in a positive light?

You contend: LGBT cannot change.

Pray, with how many doctors and surgeons at the top of their professions and specialities, how many experienced psychologists, how many senior psychiatrists, how many trained rehabilitative workers in the SGBT field, how many Ministries of Health committed to the welfare of ALL disadvantaged citizens, have you worked with long and assiduously to come to this doomsday conclusion?

And seen how they could, and did, with dedication and with co-ordinated and sympathetic industry, turn LGBTs around and wean them from their anti-social, anti-moral proclivities?

You haven't, Sri a-TB. I have, during my long practice at the Bar.

You do remind me, sir, of the lady doctor who, in these columns, proclaimed (erroneously) that

"I have never heard of any bonafide doctor calling LBGT as a treatable pathology."

Warmest regards

Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear highly-respected a-TB

Sorry if I did not make myself clear to you.

I was simply NOT trying to "lump criminals with LGBT". Any more than I was "lumping" those contracting inter-caste and inter-racial marriages with LGBTs. Far from it.

On the contrary, I thought I had made it abundantly clear that by criminals ("jail-birds") I was referring only to those apprehended by the law enforcers, had had their day in the Courts, with learned defence counsel to argue on their behalf, were found guilty by the impartial and respected judges, were allowed to submit pleas of mitigation, were sentenced to terms of imprisonment in accordance with enacted law, served their sentences and, on completion, were released back into respectable society.

Learned defence counsel might well have argued during trial in open Court that their clients were completely innocent, or that the prosecution had not proved its case.

A very common defence I have met is one of "diminished responsibility". "God made me do it -- I was not aware of what I was doing. It was an act of God, not mine. I heard God's voice. I had no control over myself, and I just obeyed." Eminent psychiatrists were brought in to give expert evidence for the defence that the prisoner was insane and did not have the mens rea (culpable mind) to commit the offence. Close family members ere brought in to say almost the same thing.

There are, in our generous and "inclusive" society, concerned souls who tolerate mixed marriages and LGBTs. Who accept the situation as one of reality, not to be wished way, or ignored. "Humans are humans" was the standard-bearers' slogan. "We are all humans and should not discriminate among us." Who can argue with that?

All I was doing was to ask these do-gooders, these compassionate and selfless souls, to extend their compassion and generosity to ex-criminals. Especially those unfortunates who were hauled up without benefit of counsel because they were too poor to afford one, and were gaoled though innocent. Was I wrong? Deserving your censure?

In my criminal practice, many were cleared and released by the Court unharmed because I was able to prove that the Police had "planted" adverse evidence, especially in drug and theft cases. Regret to say, I have little confidence in the integrity of the Police. Or in their strength of character to resist bribes and corruption. Their uniform seems to clothe them with arrogance and a sense of superiority.

You write:-

"People are born with one leg, no real hips, born with backbone bent so they move like a dog ..... All these happen in nature.

"All these people who dont fit your norm do not mean they are criminals."

Please be honest. Where did I say that the disabled are criminals?

I have no "norm". E lsewhere in this forum I have written that no two people are alike. Even "identical" twins. As any Paediatrician will tell you.

Are we "normal" when we lose our temper? When cheering our team in a game? When we discover that someone very near and dear to us has "cheated" us, been "unfaithful"? When through our negligence we have killed a pedestrian, a patient? When death suddenly takes from us someone we dearly love? When a kidnapper abducts our child? When an arsonist burns our house down?

"Mr Iyer - you have to open your heart to accept nature and accept people ."

Mr a-TB - Aren't you being unsufferably patronising and a shade judgmental in accusing me of closing my heart and refusing to accept nature and people? Perhaps some mature reflection might have helped you assess the true situation in a positive light?

You contend: LGBT cannot change.

Pray, with how many doctors and surgeons at the top of their professions and specialities, how many experienced psychologists, how many senior psychiatrists, how many trained rehabilitative workers in the SGBT field, how many Ministries of Health committed to the welfare of ALL disadvantaged citizens, have you worked with long and assiduously to come to this doomsday conclusion?

And seen how they could, and did, with dedication and with co-ordinated and sympathetic industry, turn LGBTs around and wean them from their anti-social, anti-moral proclivities?

You haven't, Sri a-TB. I have, during my long practice at the Bar.

You do remind me, sir, of the lady doctor who, in these columns, proclaimed (erroneously) that

"I have never heard of any bonafide doctor calling LBGT as a treatable pathology."

Warmest regards

Narayanaswamy Iyer

Respected Sir,

Just read your introduction and bio - Very impressive . Namaskarams

While dealing with organizational counseling, discrimination issues in corporations etc I have a nose for people issues, racism overt or subtle etc. Have come across gays, lesbians etc

Current science is that gay/lesbian is not out of choice. Am lucky to be born straight - cannot imagine any therapy to change me otherwise.

Same is true for pure gays/lesbians - they cannot be changed. There are bisexuals to varying degrees - therapy can force them one way or the other. That is not really a cure because they were bisexual to begin with. Hard core gays cannot be changed

Google search will yield lots of articles as to why gay/lesbian/transgender etc is not in the curable category. We are all wired in different ways. Please consider this possibility that this is genetic. Opening your heart was not intended as insult - it is to suggest to research further.

Diminished responsibility is unacceptable in matters where free will is present and asserted.

Thank you for your comments

Respected Sri a-TB

"Current (American, European) science is that gay/lesbian is not out of choice. Google search will yield lots of articles as to why gay/lesbian/transgender etc is not in the curable category."

That precisely is the problem. Those not in the know are easily brainwashed by the American propaganda on these matters. One lie repeated a million times in all the American media, shouted at maximum decibels, does not amount to the truth.

In the USA, the universal philosophy is that each and every one is free to be what he or she wants. "Let them be bestialists, let them be sodomists, let them be homosexuals, let them be child molesters, let them parade publicly in the Streets of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, to flaunt their "difference". They are people, they are OUR people. Let them do what they want."

Because of all this, once a dog barks that LGBTs are incurable, all dogs bark the same cacophony.

Caught early enough, e.g. at a tender and treatable age, and given the appropriate treatment, medical, surgical, psychological, palliative and moral, care and compassion, many have been cured and returned to society, where they lead normal lives. I am an eye-witness.

Where you talk only of ADULT offenders, they very well might not respond to any treatment. But these hard-cores are NOT our yardstick. We go after those who are not yet out on the streets, or caught by traffickers.

Regards.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

the USA, the universal philosophy is that each and every one is free to be what he or she wants. "Let them be bestialists, let them be sodomists, let them be homosexuals, let them be child molesters, let them parade publicly in the Streets of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, to flaunt their "difference". They are people, they are OUR people. Let them do what they want."#317

Harish Iyer and his mother Padma Iyer are our people Shri Narayanaswamy Iyer and should be proud about them!

http://indianexpress.com/article/trending/woman-places-matrimonial-ad-seeks-groom-for-gay-son/lite/

Last edited:
Respected Madam Janaki Jambunathan

Thanks for the e-mail.

A late marriage at age 36 to a woman at age 40 does happen. Will happen. Shows courage. Same with "caste no bar" unions, once mother and son go into it with eyes open.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

The English translation of writer Perumal Murugan’s novel Mathorubhagan ( One Part Woman ) has won the Sahitya Akademi’s award for translation in English.

This is interesting on transgenders!

The title describes Lord Shiva in his avatar as a combination of man and woman.

He clarified that being a member of the LGBT community had nothing to do with him taking up the translation of the novel, Mathorubhagan

Asked why he had chosen to call the book One Part Woman instead of One Part Man , Mr. Vasudevan said that the translation of the title need not be literal. The Tamil title ends with the masculine classifier.

The message - Transgenders are God's own creation and need acceptance and respect

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...ags-sahitya-akademi-award/article18150062.ece

Dear J J ji,

A community fought for banning 'Madhorubagan', because it contained a message that a woman in a particular village,

who can't beget a child through her husband was 'free' to get it from any other man, on a particular night, which that village

celebrated. This message was considered as degrading 'those' women. But it seems this WAS in practice, years back!! :eek:hwell:

Was this an idea taken from 'Mahabharatham'?

Dear respected Madam Janaki Jambunathan
Thanks, but no, thanks.You proclaim:

"Transgenders are God's own creation and need acceptance and respect."

Expanding on this concept, would you kindly agree at least in principle, if not in practice, that other creatures of God, human and non-human also "need acceptance and respect"?

Elsewhere I have mentioned ex-jail-birds, convicts of lesser and greater crimes who have served their sentences, been released, and want to re-integrate into civil society. Are they also not God's own creation? (Same with those released from mental asylums after being cured? Even AIDS ex-patients?)

Why do we call in the pest-busters when our wooden homes are infested with termites? Or the fumigators when we see a beehive in our tree? Or take out a coconut-leaf-rib broom when we see a cockroach? Why we do we set out rat poison, anti-rat glue, and drown rats caught in rat-traps? Why do we not protest against "live" experiments with animals in laboratories run by the pharmaceutical companies?

As for the book you seem to endorse, neither the Sahitya Akademi which issued an award for, nor Penguin which published the English translation evoke my respect. I have noted some abstruse past choices by the Akademi, and some unworthy publications by Penguin, one being "The God of Small Things", a negative look at the Malayalis by a Malayali-mother North Indian-father authoress.

Your book seems to be about the lives and loves of two trans-genders. Interests me about as much as the lives and loves of two cockroaches. If the Tamil author was blaspheming our divinities, for gain in politics and in pelf, that is his lookout.
Ditto ditto the translator, Ph.D or not.

However much we want to wish away the doctrines of karma phalan and divine retribution by saying, as criminals in trials in the High Court do, "God made me do it -- it was His act, not mine," sathyam eva jayathe. Our scriptures do not lie.

Audi alteram.partem -- that is a basic principle to be honoured before equity can be achieved.

Sure, I will read the Tamil and the English versions if copies are sent me. I do read the Torah, the Koran, the Life of Christ, the Acts of the Apostles, the Papal Encyclicles, and watch on TV Karunaanithi savaging Brahmins, the Vedas and Hinduism in toto.

But, madam, I have my principles, and stick to them.

As I wrote elsewhere in this forum, 700 years of Near West subjugation and destruction, followed by 200 years of Far West colonisation and de-culturalisation, did not succeed in annihilating the Brahmins and their Sanathana Dharmam. But we can do it from within -- by disunity, by challenging our tenets, by rubbishing our shaasthrams. (Even by submitting to "political correctness".)

Warmest regards.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Why do we call in the pest-busters when our wooden homes are infested with termites? Or the fumigators when we see a beehive in our tree? Or take out a coconut-leaf-rib broom when we see a cockroach? Why we do we set out rat poison, anti-rat glue, and drown rats caught in rat-traps? Why do we not protest against "live" experiments with animals in laboratories run by the pharmaceutical companies?
(#323)

Why call them pest rat etc? Don't criminalize - intolerance will take you nowhere - well tolerant Hindus go to Bikaner to pray at Karni Mata or Rat Temple!

Eating food that has been nibbled on by the rats is considered to be a "high honor".[3] If one of them is killed, it must be replaced with one made of solid silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back