• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

pumsavanam and seemantham.

Namsakaram Sri.Gopalan Sir,
Thanks for the valuable information provided by you. Please let me know "What is the reason for not allowing the husband of the conceive girl to give her a sendoff or go with the her after "VALAI KAPPU" or "SEEMANTHAM" function is finished ?

With regards
Sreenath Iyer
hi sree,

there are 3 main reasons....1 the husband has to follow some kind of vrtam/anustanam till the birth of a child....

2 the wife has to stay back her mother's home and needs no distractions till the birth.....

3 the men are always having some kind of personal requirements....

4 need a rest/ right food for the wife till the delivery.....

5 mental happiness is most important for SUGA PRASAVAM......

now shri gopalan sir will give more right answers....

Dear Sir,
It is told that for pregnant woman after 3, 4th month a saree in black or blue black color is given Masakkai karuppu dress. what is the significance of this? What are the dos and dont's to be generally followed by the bride and bridegroom from 4th months till for a safe and normal delivery and post delivery precautions if any in general to know and follow; thanks

Valaikaapu is a laukika (Sanskrit for worldly, non-religious) ceremony and celebration held to bless a pregnant woman, celebrate her fertility, and ensure a safe birth. It is hosted by the pregnant woman's mother and father to be home during the third trimester of the pregnancy.

The pregnant woman dresses in a black sari to ward off the evil eye, and is given special, favourite foods, presents and blessings. Hindu women will wear bangles in both the hands in odd numbers. Other beleif is that. The bangle sound induces the child's senses

The women put red and green glass bangles on the mother-to-be’s wrists, sing hymns and songs and put vermilion on her forehead. The woman then rests at her parents' home for the final weeks of her pregnancy.
The purpose of the ceremony is to honour and protect the pregnant woman, who is seen as vulnerable to the evil eye, malign spirits and ghosts, and to ensure the birth of a healthy child. The tradition originated in Brahmin and high-caste communities, before being adopted by other groups.

Please go through these links
Valaikaapu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Books?

Valaikuppa or Poochutal, Your Call

Regarding your question

What are the dos and dont's to be generally followed by the bride and bridegroom from 4th months till for a safe and normal delivery and post delivery precautions if any in general to know and follow;

Please consult your
Gynecologist and she will be able to guide you in this regard.

Hope this helps.

Dear Sir,
I would like to have copy of Seemantha muhurtha pathrikai for extending thro email to our close relatives for attending the function ; may please arrange

ஶ்ரீ ராமஜயம்
பெருமாள் துணை. ஶ்ரீ வைத்தினாத ஸ்வாமி துணை.

பும்ஸூவன ஸீமந்த பத்ரிக்கை

மஹாராஜஶ்ரீ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------அவர்களுக்கு
அநேக நமஸ்காரம்//ஆசீர்வாதம்//உபயக்ஷேமம்.

ஸ்வஸ்திஶ்ரீ ஜய வருஷம் ஆனி மாதம் 18-தேதி புதன் கிழமை (2-7-2014)
பஞ்சமி, மகம் நக்ஷத்திரம் அமிர்த யோகம் கூடிய சுப யோக சுப தினத்தில் உதயாதி நாழிகை 7-30 க்கு மேல் 11-30 க்குள் (காலை 9-30 மணிக்குமேல் 10-30 க்குள்) கடக லக்னத்தில்

எனது குமாரன் சிரஞ்சீவி ஹரிஹரனின் தர்ம பத்தினி செளபாக்யவதி சுவர்சலாம்பா விற்க்கு
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------பும்ஸுவன ஸீமந்தோநயன முஹூர்த்தம் செய்வதாய் ஈச்வர க்ருபையுடன் சிருங்கேரி ஶ்ரீ ல ஶ்ரீ மஹா பெரியவாள் அநுக்கிரஹத்துடனும் பெரியோர்களால் நிச்சயிக்க பட்டு மேற்படி சுப முஹுர்த்தம் ஶ்ரீ பாலாஜி

திருமண மண்டபம் நம்ப்ர்-2- சுந்தரம் தெரு தி. நகர் சென்னை600017.
(அகத்தியர் கோயில் அருகில்) என்கிற விலாசத்தில் நடக்கிற படியால் தாங்கள் தன்கள் இஷ்ட மித்ர பந்துக்களுடன் வந்திருந்து முஹுர்த்தத்தை

நடத்தி வைத்து தம்பதிகளை ஆசீர்வதித்து என்னையும் கெளரவிக்க வேன்டுமாய் கேட்டுக்கொள்கிறேன்.

குறிப்பு:--காலை 6 மணிக்கு கங்கண தாரணம் இப்படிக்கு
நடை பெற உள்ளது. சங்கர நாரயணன்

Sri.Velukkudi Krishnan in his daily discourse in vijay TV in the mornings,he talks about the significance the 16 samskaras which is quite informative and educative. All can get a good lot of information through his discourse.

Dear Friends,

I have a question associated with birth of a newborn.

On the 11th day of the birth of my friend's newborn child, his father in law's father (New born child's great grand father) had shradham. They conducted Punyathena karma, Namakaranam & Thotil on the same day. Is this correct as per sashtra? My Friend is a Tamil Brahmin (Iyer). Please help me understand.

Note: If this is posted in the wrong thread, please move the same to the correct one and guide me accordingly.

Dear Sri Gopalan

Seemandham for first delivery - In Karnataka - do they perform Seemandam even to 9th month ? and do it on Tuesday as well. I am facing this issue practically. as its a relationship issue I don't know how to solve it. Please help. Thanks
Pattabhi

seemantham may be done in 9th month also. there is no wrong. regarding days tuesdays and saturdays are blind days. so if other poruththams are there and if the day only is problem it will not affect. wednesday and thursday and friday are the days of both the eyes are in good condition days. sunday and monday are one eye blind days.

Hi Friends.

I have a doubt that i seek enlightenment here.

First question.

I do know how to recite mantras like kalasha stapana..varuna mantras and ganapathi mantra for example. are pregnant women allowed to do all the seemantham pooja on her own at home without a priest?

second question.

can i invoke lord ganesha into the kalasha and later pour the water onto me during udagasanthi japam is going on. (udagasanthi japam will be going on in audio version played from a system.

third question.

what can i do with the coconut that i use for the kalash after the pooja?

I am hoping to get the reply as soon as possible as my seemantham will be around august this year.

Thank you.
-Shamala Sivakumar-

you have to give dakshina to a priest along with coconut betels, betelnut, plantain fruit without dakshinai what ever you do is waste. . I have given all the manthras for seemantham in the sticky thread in gthe rituals, ceremonies and poojas; you have to do naanthi sraaththam, and paalikai theliththal , etc; Ladies are not eligible to recite veda manthras. have them in your audio cd and let some priest tell veda manthras in your cd. and then you can pour water on your head.

Dear Sir.

I am from Malaysia and I am 5 months pregnant. I have a few doubts on the rituals of seemantham. Ill write it down in point form so that it will be easier for you to identify and reply me accordingly.

1. Is the pregnant mother herself is allowed to do the rituals such as kalasa staphana...ganesha pooja and the kalasa pooja without a priest. As we do not conduct udagasanthi prayers in malayalees culture.
2. If i am invoking lord ganesh into the kalasha...can i bath with the kalasha water after that. how do i go about the pooja after kalasha stapana? (udagasanthi japam will be played in audio version during the rituals)
3. what do i do with the coconut and also the other items from the kalash and the ritual after the rituals?

We have planned to do it around october during my 7th month. please enlighten me as soon as possible. (p.s.: i do know how to recite mantras and i do it quite often at home)

Thank you.
SHAMALA SIVAKUMAR

Sir,
I would like to know whether there are rules for the number of bangles for valai kappu function. In one hand odd number of bangles and in the other even no. If so, could you please enlighten me. Thank you

Sir,
I would like to know whether there are rules for the number of bangles for valai kappu function. In one hand odd number of bangles and in the other even no. If so, could you please enlighten me. Thank you
on both hands bangles should be in odd number, counting including the neem leave stem bangle.

dear sir/madam, We have to perform pumsavana seemantham of my son/ daughter in law in Kanpur on 1st of July for which we need services of an iyer priest. Kindly let me know if some one is available.

Could you please tell me which month we should conduct valaikappu and seemandham. Is it not on odd months, like 5th month, 7th month or 9th month.

Latest ads

Back