• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gayatri Mantra - Meaning and Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the meaning of Vidmahe and dheemahi?

I won't go into detail grammar but the meaning of:

Vidmahe= Vid means Know/Knowledge.

Mahe means We.

Therefor Vidmahe means We know

Dheemahi=Dhee means intellect and in this context it means To Meditate Upon.

Mahi means We.

Therefore Dheemahi means We Meditate Upon.

Mahe/Mahi means We but used in different grammatical situations.

Last edited:
I won't go into detail grammar but the meaning of:

Vidmahe= Vid means Know/Knowledge.

Mahe mea

Therefor Vidmahe means We know

Dheemahi=Dhee means intellect and in this context it means To Meditate Upon.

Mahi means We.

Therefore Dheemahi means We Meditate Upon.

Mahe/Mahi means We but used in different grammatical situations.

You have gone in elaborately. I gave only an overall view. Thank you
for your explanation.

We devote our thoughts
We meditate upon
Give me

Balasubramanian

Swami Sivananda on Gayathri Mantra :
Let one Mantra be common to all, and that Mantra is the Gayatri.
The secret lore of the Upanishads is the essence of the Four Vedas, while the Gayatri Mantra with the three Vyahritis (Bhur, Bhuva, Svaha) is the essence of the Upanishads.
Gayatri is the Mother of the Vedas and the destroyer of all sins. There is
nothing more purifying on earth than the Gayatri Mantra
. The Japa of
Gayatri brings the same fruit as the recitation of all the Vedas with the
Angas.
This single Mantra repeated sincerely and with a clear conscience
brings the Supreme Good
, which is liberation or emancipation from the
wheel of birth and death.

Gayathri is a metre of poem. There are also other metres. When there are Gayathri Mantras on almost all Hindu Gods, Why only Savithru Gayathri (on Sun God, I believe) is the most famous and accepted as 'Gayatri Mantra'?

Sun is primarily important and it is worshiped in almost all parts of the Universe.
:eek:rd Sun God directly and indirectly influences every aspect of our life. Besides it is very important to improve the condition of one's health. It facilitates to combat eye diseases so as to have proper and good eye sight. There is a saying in our Shastras that if this is chanted for 108 times in the morning before sunrise and in the evening similarly, for continuously 21 days or so, one can attain a mantra siddhi. Besides, if it is chanted on the day of Lunar Eclipe standing in the water upto waist or hip height , one can attain more power and divine bliss.
Surya gayatri Mantra Song - YouTube

Last edited:
Gayathri is a metre of poem. There are also other metres. When there are Gayathri Mantras on almost all Hindu Gods, Why only Savithru Gayathri (on Sun God, I believe) is the most famous and accepted as 'Gayatri Mantra'?

Dear Sir,

No doubt the Sun is also known by the name Savitr(meaning progenitor) but the Savitr in the Gayatri Mantra is as follows:

Savitr...in the context of the Gayatri Mantra means "Immanent and Transcendent Divine which has been given the name Savita meaning that from which all is born"

taken from Sathya Sai Speaks

The reason being why this mantra alone is accepted as gayathri mantra is, when we search the entire Rig, Yajur ans Sama veda, same mantra is present in same meter, also the mantra aksharas are same. This the reason why maharishis accepted this mantra as gayatri mantra.

Source: "Gayatriyin sakthi" book

om namah shivayah

Thanks
C.R.Bala

There is also a secret behind the Adi Kavya Ramayana, which is for every thousand verses, the first verse commences with one letter of the Gayatri mantra. Tapah svadhyaya nirataam tapasvi vagvidam varam, naradam paripapracha valmikih muni pumgavam is the first verse.

‘Ta’ is the first letter. Tat savitur varenyam is how the Gayatri commences; and the next one thousand verses starts with the next letter of Gayatri. The twenty-four thousand verses of the Valmiki Ramayana have hiddenly, within them, at every thousandth verse, a letter of the Gayatri mantra. These verses are sometimes culled out separately as Gayatri Ramayana, and devotees recite it every day.

The Origin of the Valmiki Ramayana

“O Effulgent, Infinite, Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent being,
bless me with Right Understanding and Clarity of Thinking.”
- Gayatri Mantra (Rig Veda)

(Meaning by Swami Srikantanandaji
Personality Development Course V.I.H.E*)

*Vivekananda Institute of Human Excellence, Ramakrishna Math, Hyderabad

This is a very interesting translation, first time I came across it. I like the one from I.K.Taimni:“We meditate upon the Divine Light of that adorable Sun of Spiritual Consciousness, which stimulates our power of spiritual perception;
May It open our hearts and enlighten our Intellect.”
The translation comes from the site Gayatri-mantra-download.com
GaiaM

Can everyone say this mantra? I was told in my young age, you can only chant this after upanayanam. I heard the kanchi acharaya concurred this same becos it has significance after you hear from the sastrigal in the upanayanam function. Everything is available for everyone nowdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back