• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kula Deivam

Status
Not open for further replies.
In govt Most of our time is spent justifying actions taken .

Over a period of time we learn to give atrocious reasons to win a case.

When we do not know also what action is to be taken , we simply write 'Appropriate action will be taken' and let the other party shiver about the action to be taken.lol

I will have to 'agree' here.

She was still very unhappy that I did not have a prayer room.

This is my experiance - My Apartatment in Bangalore offered for rent - but no takers No Prayer room? I had an idea The common Bath got converted to a prayer room! Never cosulted Vasthu Purushan! Immeately got a tenant with better offer than expected! He was happy He has a prayer room! Remembered Jayaram Ramesh for his remark - on temples & toilets!

Dear Renu,

Each on of us always wish to justify what we do is correct! :)

dear RR ji,

My relative was visibly upset and being a Perumal Bhakta she said that she was going to pray to Perumal to make me(renu) have a prayer room.

I hope she doesn't feel disappointed if her prayers do not work cos she is actually 10 years my junior and takes her Perumal temple visit very seriously.

I follow Advaita philosophy, and believe in Brahman as God.
I do not have faith in Bhakti (may be my ignorance). I do not believe in begging and pleading with God. I do the begging and pleading from a Human being in position of power.

Thanking god for the positive outcomes in situations that had actual action attached to them. We have all been privy to many situations in hospitals where every nurse and every doctor are doing everything in their power to make sure the patient stays alive, and when they succeed, a higher power gets the applause. Why does god get the thanks for that effort? Had no intervention taken place that person would most likely be dead, as evidenced by so many situations where children have died at the hands of parents who believed their god would take care of their young one’s illnesses. Listing them all here would make your heart break. Just talking to yourself with your hands clasped is not an acceptable form of helping, to me. Praying solves nothing, does nothing and contributes nothing but making the person doing the praying feel better. Prayer is useless and selfish. That’s it.

Many goof people would say that they benefit when someone has prayed for them. Yes, superficially, I would agree. Those on the receiving end of prayer feel like people are ‘thinking’ about them and ‘care’ about them, just like I would if someone said “You’re in my thoughts.” That’s it, they are ‘thinking’ about me, but they are not actually ‘doing’ anything! Am I grateful that they care? Absolutely, but again, prayer does NOTHING to solve any situation in need of answers or actions.

Last edited:
I do not have faith in Bhakti (may be my ignorance). I do not believe in begging and pleading with God. I do the begging and pleading from a Human being in position of power.

Thanking god for the positive outcomes in situations that had actual action attached to them. We have all been privy to many situations in hospitals where every nurse and every doctor are doing everything in their power to make sure the patient stays alive, and when they succeed, a higher power gets the applause. Why does god get the thanks for that effort? Had no intervention taken place that person would most likely be dead, as evidenced by so many situations where children have died at the hands of parents who believed their god would take care of their young one’s illnesses. Listing them all here would make your heart break. Just talking to yourself with your hands clasped is not an acceptable form of helping, to me. Praying solves nothing, does nothing and contributes nothing but making the person doing the praying feel better. Prayer is useless and selfish. That’s it.

Many goof people would say that they benefit when someone has prayed for them. Yes, superficially, I would agree. Those on the receiving end of prayer feel like people are ‘thinking’ about them and ‘care’ about them, just like I would if someone said “You’re in my thoughts.” That’s it, they are ‘thinking’ about me, but they are not actually ‘doing’ anything! Am I grateful that they care? Absolutely, but again, prayer does NOTHING to solve any situation in need of answers or actions.
When one is so full of himself there will be no place for God or bhakti.
Sankara the original Advaitin said:
Bhaja govindam bhaja govindam. He also pleaded mama dehi karaa
valambam.
Lol.

Last edited:
When one is so full of himself there will be no place for God or bhakti.
Sankara the original Advaitin said:
Bhaja govindam bhaja govindam. He also pleaded mama dehi karaa
valambam.
Lol.

Trying to paint the whole world in your color? And there is no LOL.
Everyone can have the opinion including you. Only when you try to impose it on others it is objectionable. My religion is my business and you have no right to impose your religion (practice) on others. Then again in your limited world you would not understand that.

Everyone can have the opinion including you. Only when you try to impose it on others it is objectionable. My religion is my business and you have no right to impose your religion (practice) on others. Then again in your limited world you would not understand that.

Rightly said.
" Seyyum Thozhile Theivam "

Among the worshippers of God in any religion, it found that less than 5% are true devotees. Rest are found bargaining with God for future gains they aspire, favour to get rid of the health problems, praying for remission (in total?? ) for the sins committed in the past etc.
For hard workers with commitment ...
[SUB]" Seyyum Thozhile Theivam "
[/SUB][SUB]For those who hardly work, God is everything.[/SUB]

prasad1;309228[B said:
]I follow Advaita philosophy, and believe in Brahman as God.[/B]

hi

its okay.....advaita has 2 parts.......saguna upasana.....nirguna upasana....means worshiping BRAHMAN......SO NOTHING

WRONG IN BHAKTHI...MEANS SAGUNA BRAHMAN......NIRGUNA BRAHMAN......BIG LOL TOO...

dear RR ji,

My relative was visibly upset and being a Perumal Bhakta she said that she was going to pray to Perumal to make me(renu) have a prayer room.

I hope she doesn't feel disappointed if her prayers do not work cos she is actually 10 years my junior and takes her Perumal temple visit very seriously.
Dear Renu,

Faith in something works wonders and you should be knowing that! Faith healing is marketed all over the globe!

The visit to kula deivam is also one of the faiths and gives the believers peace of mind! :)

Last edited:
Rightly said.
" Seyyum Thozhile Theivam "

Among the worshippers of God in any religion, it found that less than 5% are true devotees. Rest are found bargaining with God for future gains they aspire, favour to get rid of the health problems, praying for remission (in total?? ) for the sins committed in the past etc.
For hard workers with commitment ...
[SUB]" Seyyum Thozhile Theivam "
[/SUB][SUB]For those who hardly work, God is everything.[/SUB]
Dear Sir,

English is a very tricky language!

Please verify the line in bold letters, in quote! :)

Dear Prasad ji,

I would like to slightly differ..I do not feel prayer is entirely useless.
Prayer is an anti depressant for the person who is praying.

It sort of relaxes the mind of the person cos he/she is under the belief that it can help him/her solve problems or situations faced.

So its like a diversion for the mind at least for some moments.

Prayer is like a trip to the psychiatrist where one unloads his/her problem.

So prayer is a very technical act and I myself feel that people "mistake" this act of unloading as Bhakti.

I have experimented with all types of phases in my life..irregular prayer phase,regular prayer phase,non prayer phase and finally just 'exist' phase.

My personal experience is prayers do NOT change the outcome of anything..life or Karma goes on as usual.
If a "miracle" had happened I feel its the Karmic entitlement of the person and he/she feels its a miracle.

It would be "unfair" if only those who pray are conferred protection and those who do not are not protected..then the whole Karmic theory would make no sense.

Its our actions and inactions that denote the journey of our lives.

Next one might wonder..how potent are mantras recital?

Do they work?

My answer is Yes and No.

Yes..if we have the Karmic entitlement for it to "work" and No if we do not have the Karmic entitlement for it to "work".

A mantra is like a light..it will only light up if we have electricity..if we do not have electricity it wont light up.

The electricity here is the Karmic entitlement of our past actions.

But to be so outright frank in religion about the fact that Prayers do NOT really change anything would be too much for anyone to bear cos then one feels totally lost as if he/she has lost all hope in life and there is a risk of turning to the "dark side"

So we humans are made to "believe" that prayers work so that chances of us adhering to the path of righteousness would be higher but sadly most of the while prayers turn into a transaction and very few actually are righteous and we find every kind of 'crime' still committed by those who pray.

So does the act of prayer actually help finally?

I guess the answer is in the Geeta..that is among the thousands of persons who strive to know God..hardly one knows Him.

Last edited:
I enjoyed that outburst as the self after occupying each nook and corner was overflowing because of its elephant size. A reading of my post again would tell you that I was questioning a particular assertion about being an advaitin and that was not answered. Instead as usual the ego got hurt unnecessarily and has let out a volley of !@#$%^&*()_+.
Yes you can have your opinion jolly well. No one can have any objection. When that opinion is expressed in this public forum which is not your exclusive property, it will be commented upon. You should be ready to take critical comments as you take accolades happily. If you can answer the arguments answer them or ignore them and move on. there is no need to get excited and get highly personal (my color your color etc that too from someone who is color blind is funny LOL).

When did I try to impose my religion on you? At least I have a limited world. You have only a limited mind. LOL. Keep it and tend to it carefully. Otherwise you may lose it. LOL.

Last edited:
Here one of my neighbors has a doubt about changing the Kula Deivam temple not the Kula Deivam.
His Kula Deivam is “Poorna Pushkalaambaal Sametha Harihara Puthiran”. Temple is situated 350 kms away from Chennai, his place of living. Temple is in the midst of paddy fields. No relatives/ Brahmin family is there at present. After reaching nearby town he has to hire an auto, travel 4 kms and then walk ½ a km in muddy wet field. The temple priest who stays in an village 5 kms away, reluctant to come as he is much aged (octogenarian).
Now my neighbor has found to his satisfaction, the same “Poorna Pushkalaambaal Sametha Harihara Puthiran” temple at the outskirts of Chennai and started visiting the temple for worship. Now he is in a dilemma whether he can adopt this deity as Kula Deivam, for his convenience.
The intention of the person is good, as he says that he can visit the temple nearby, at least once in a month, with family.
I could not say the right answer immediately, as I believe to some amount, as change of temple, to some extent, relates to psychology also. My neighbor is an innocent and will abide by what others say.
Experts in the forum may guide quoting sastras….. for/against.

Poorna and Pushkala are the grAma dEvatAs of Thirunellai village, according to this blog - thirunellai.blogspot

Poorna Pushkalamba sametha Hariharaputhra Swami seems to bless his devotees in many places!

Picture from the above mentioned blog:

Poorna+Pushkalamba+Sametha+Hariharaputhra+Swamy.png

Poorna Pushkalamba sametha Hariharaputhra Swami seems to bless his devotees in many places!

Poorna Pushkalamba sametha Hariharaputhra Swami temples are situated in more than

100 places.

My friend hails from Thanjavur District. He says his Kula Deivam temple is in a village some

where near Nagapattinam.

I enjoyed that outburst as the self after occupying each nook and corner was overflowing because of its elephant size. A reading of my post again would tell you that I was questioning a particular assertion about being an advaitin and that was not answered. Instead as usual the ego got hurt unnecessarily and has let out a volley of !@#$%^&*()_+.
Yes you can have your opinion jolly well. No one can have any objection. When that opinion is expressed in this public forum which is not your exclusive property, it will be commented upon. You should be ready to take critical comments as you take accolades happily. If you can answer the arguments answer them or ignore them and move on. there is no need to get excited and get highly personal (my color your color etc that too from someone who is color blind is funny LOL).

When did I try to impose my religion on you? At least I have a limited world. You have only a limited mind. LOL. Keep it and tend to it carefully. Otherwise you may lose it. LOL.

I enjoy reading this outburst as well LoL

I am reminded of two quotes after reading the above

1) When one is so full of himself there will be no place for God or bhakti.
2)the ego got hurt unnecessarily and has let out a volley of !@#$%^&*()_+.

LOL

Pardon me...Vaishnavam does have kuladaivam. He is the Form of Vishnu your family is aligned with, usually one of the deities in the major divya desams. If you are Vaishnava and do not have one, you are welcome to choose one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back