• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

குல தெய்வம்

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Said Vaagmi sir,

Our Family have a Kuladeivam in a remote Village called Kadichambadi about 10 Km away from Kumbakonam where Dharma Sastha with Poorna and Pushkalamba worshipped.

We go there at least once a year and we have a Trust managed by Members who do Pournami Pooja every month apart from daily Pujas and other Pujas

Whenever we go there and stand before our ancestral Deity, we also feel that our fore fathers stood there and prayed for our family.

The feeling is something one has to experience in their life time!!

We contribute yearly subscription to maintain these rituals.

Last edited:
<removed. Please think twice before posting stuff that can hurt the sentiments of others. Do not misuse this platform - Praveen>

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is made to seem that Kula Deivam worshiped is done due to "Family sentiments"?

Just becos our forefathers stood and prayed to some chosen form of his...does that mean we have to keep up that tradition?

So what if our personal understanding differs?

Recently a family member wanted me to do some pooja which I refused cos I felt it did not match my personal understanding of God..I did not want to worship multiple forms of God.

So by just giving in to sentiments when are we going to really know ourselves?

Last edited:
1. So it is made to seem that Kula Deivam worshiped is done due to "Family sentiments"?

2. Just becos our forefathers stood and prayed to some chosen form of his...does that mean we have to keep up that tradition?

3. So what if our personal understanding differs?Recently a family member wanted me to do some pooja which I refused cos I felt it did not match my personal understanding of God..I did not want to worship multiple forms of God.

4. So by just giving in to sentiments when are we going to really know ourselves?

1. This is twisting the thought expressed in the earlier post by me beyond its shape. There is no sentimental nonsense involved here. The fact that the forefathers worshipped the deity is incidental. It is not "because of that reason" I go to worship that deity. In fact my father belongs to a different village. I have no kula deivam as i worship Srimannarayana as the only deivam. I worship Him in whichever form he gives darshan in various temples. It is just that I am happy that my ancestors also surrendered to this village deity. Nothing more nothing less.

2. No tradition involved. My chosen form and my ancestors chosen form just happen to be the same Srimannarayana. I it looks like a tradition, let it be. For me it is just that the Kalyana Gunarnavam that I worship is seen by me in that deity too. And it is my prerogative. Period.

3. It is your choice. There are people with a different choice and they are many. There is nothing to choose between the two. The two can coexist.

4. This is being judgmental and there is no need for that. Bhakti for God is beyond these sentiments and analysis. Understanding bhakti is possible only when you get out of the euphoric UC.

Now to take the fight to your own domain(I know you enjoy a good fight), I deduce the following:

A godman asks you when you go to have his darshan, "Renuka, did you thank the stranger who came and helped you with repairing your car when you were coming here?" and Lo and behold you are floored. You wonder how come this "god" knew that I had gone through this ordeal while coming here and that I forgot to thank the stranger and have been regretting it all the way upto coming here.

And the same godman pulls out from the thin air a statuette of Ganapathy and gives it to the next devotee in the line. And again you are floored.

And the same godman comes in your dream and tell you that a relative who has fallen into a coma will come back in two days and it happens.

If I say that these are all possible for anyone who has practiced yoga to reach the samadhi state you would not take it. You would still say that only that godman could do all that. If I say there are any number of such "gods" if they are gods at all, and that many of them just do not bother to flaunt all their such abilities, you would still be reluctant to agree with me. And finally if I ask you where stands your "knowing yourself" in all these cobwebs of gullibility and sentiments, you will get kolaveri and start chasing me.

You wont even hear me, leave alone listening to me, if I were to tell you that all these sidhdhies are proverbial pebbles and shells on the shore of the sea when the sea holds nodules of treasure which are far more valuable and precious.

Dear friend, UC is a pebble while the kalyana gunarnavam is the precious treasure.

Last edited:
My answers in blue:

1. This is twisting the thought expressed in the earlier post by me beyond its shape. There is no sentimental nonsense involved here. The fact that the forefathers worshipped the deity is incidental. It is not "because of that reason" I go to worship that deity. In fact my father belongs to a different village. I have no kula deivam as i worship Srimannarayana as the only deivam. I worship Him in whichever form he gives darshan in various temples. It is just that I am happy that my ancestors also surrendered to this village deity. Nothing more nothing less.

There was some sentiment undertone..in fact even PJ sir replied you stating about ancestors stood in front of the Kula Deivam etc..so if that is not family sentiment that what else would you call it?
kindly let me know.

2. No tradition involved. My chosen form and my ancestors chosen form just happen to be the same Srimannarayana. I it looks like a tradition, let it be. For me it is just that the Kalyana Gunarnavam that I worship is seen by me in that deity too. And it is my prerogative. Period.

What is your ancestors did not choose an alternate form of Sriman Narayana? What would be your understanding of Kula Devata then?

3. It is your choice. There are people with a different choice and they are many. There is nothing to choose between the two. The two can coexist.

Agreed.

4. This is being judgmental and there is no need for that. Bhakti for God is beyond these sentiments and analysis. Understanding bhakti is possible only when you get out of the euphoric UC.

No its not judgmental..I was in Jijnaasu mode..seeking for an answer and you replied me.
Bhakti is never really understood..its just desires coupled by emotions..mega serial style.

Now to take the fight to your own domain(I know you enjoy a good fight), I deduce the following:

Being a Libran I am one of the most peaceful creature known to mankind....even in event of any fight that I might be dragged into, there is no loser..I make everyone feel like a winner. Ask yourself have you ever 'lost" in any 'fight" with me?

A godman asks you when you go to have his darshan, "Renuka, did you thank the stranger who came and helped you with repairing your car when you were coming here?" and Lo and behold you are floored. You wonder how come this "god" knew that I had gone through this ordeal while coming here and that I forgot to thank the stranger and have been regretting it all the way upto coming here.

And the same godman pulls out from the thin air a statuette of Ganapathy and gives it to the next devotee in the line. And again you are floored.

Now this is being terribly judgmental. I am not floored so easily even by Shah Rukh Khan!

And the same godman comes in your dream and tell you that a relative who has fallen into a coma will come back in two days and it happens.

If it happens..good for my relative cos at present I do have a relative who is almost terminal.

If I say that these are all possible for anyone who has practiced yoga to reach the samadhi state you would not take it. You would still say that only that godman could do all that. If I say there are any number of such "gods" if they are gods at all, and that many of them just do not bother to flaunt all their such abilities, you would still be reluctant to agree with me. And finally if I ask you where stands your "knowing yourself" in all these cobwebs of gullibility and sentiments, you will get kolaveri and start chasing me.

I will answer you about how much I know myself. My answer is I do not know myself at present and I think finally we never really know..if we say we know we do not know and if we say we do not know we have a hope for getting to know that we will never ever know!

You wont even hear me, leave alone listening to me, if I were to tell you that all these sidhdhies are proverbial pebbles and shells on the shore of the sea when the sea holds nodules of treasure which are far more valuable and precious.

yes the sea is the Ratnakara..I do not doubt that.

Dear friend, UC is a pebble while the kalyana gunarnavam is the precious treasure

dear friend..why do you still see the difference between a pebble and precious treasure?

Last edited:
My replies inpurple:

There was some sentiment undertone..in fact even PJ sir replied you stating about ancestors stood in front of the Kula Deivam etc..so if that is not family sentiment that what else would you call it?
kindly let me know.

There was no undertone or overtone. It was just coincidental that my maternal ancestors worshipped in that temple and I too worship there.

What is your ancestors did not choose an alternate form of Sriman Narayana? What would be your understanding of Kula Devata then?

If they had chosen any other avatar of Srimannarayana, I would still have my favourite avatar Sri Krishna only

No its not judgmental..I was in Jijnaasu mode..seeking for an answer and you replied me.
Bhakti is never really understood..its just desires coupled by emotions..mega serial style.

for the present I leave this at that. It needs a lot of discussion to come to a conclusion.

Being a Libran I am one of the most peaceful creature known to mankind....even in event of any fight that I might be dragged into, there is no loser..I make everyone feel like a winner. Ask yourself have you ever 'lost" in any 'fight" with me?

The fights here in the forum are all at best mock fights. I enjoy these as they help me many a time in learning. I thought you too enjoy these fights.

Now this is being terribly judgmental. I am not floored so easily even by Shah Rukh Khan!

But you do not contribute and maintain a thread on SRK. You will do that when you are floored by SRK. LOL.

If it happens..good for my relative cos at present I do have a relative who is almost terminal.

And one more episode to the mega serial like thread.

I will answer you about how much I know myself. My answer is I do not know myself at present and I think finally we never really know..if we say we know we do not know and if we say we do not know we have a hope for getting to know that we will never ever know!

I do not believe in that kind of false humility and confusion. If I know, I know. If I do not know I do not know and I would like to know. All that I know are only when they are really known. Till then they are only apparent facts requiring validation.

Dear friend, UC is a pebble while the kalyana gunarnavam is the precious treasure

dear friend..why do you still see the difference between a pebble and precious treasure?

I believe subject-object integration is nonsense. It can exist only in the confused lunatic's mental processes. For me a pebble is a pebble and a treasure in the form of a nodule is a treasure. No integrating confusion.

Last edited:
My replies in purple:

I do not believe in that kind of false humility and confusion. If I know, I know. If I do not know I do not know and I would like to know. All that I know are only when they are really known. Till then they are only apparent facts requiring validation.

I believe subject-object integration is nonsense. It can exist only in the confused lunatic's mental processes. For me a pebble is a pebble and a treasure in the form of a nodule is a treasure. No integrating confusion.

There is no humility here..the fact is I dont know..I do not believe in being humble or being arrogant. ... so my answer is merely my answer.

Now coming to mental confusion.. there is no confusion..a pebble and treasure might look different but the fact remains that both are made up of 5 elements. So I guess you would want to call Maitreyi a lunatic for telling Yajnavalkya not to cover the precious stones with earth for he wanted to make sure she did not get tempted by them? Was she a lunatic in asking him why he still sees difference between earth and precious stones?

Another example is Orange and Purple are Two colors but in reality there are just refraction of pure light..so is orange really orange and purple really purple? Or is orange actually purple and purple really orange? That is why one should not see colors... they should only see The LIGHT!

Last edited:
There is no humility here..the fact is I dont know..I do not believe in being humble or being arrogant. ... so my answer is merely my answer.

Now coming to mental confusion.. there is no confusion..a pebble and treasure might look different but the fact remains that both are made up of 5 elements. So I guess you would want to call Maitreyi a lunatic for telling Yajnavalkya not to cover the precious stones with earth for he wanted to make sure she did not get tempted by them? Was she a lunatic in asking him why he still sees difference between earth and precious stones?

Another example is Orange and Purple are Two colors but in reality there are just refraction of pure light..so is orange really orange and purple really purple? Or is orange actually purple and purple really orange? That is why one should not see colors... they should only see The LIGHT!

If you are really seeking light you should not press the button ! The light goes and you will see red or orange!!

Okay there is no humility there as intended by the writer renukaji. But there appears to be an attempted humility to vaagmi the reader. Now they have reconciled and determined whether there was humility or not. LOL.

The story is out of place and confusing here-again confusion perhaps confounded confusion.
Sir Isaac Newton said humbly that he was like a child standing on the sands of the shores of the huge ocean picking a pebble here and a shell there while the vast ocean with its unconquered treasure lies before him laughing at him. Valuewise and outlookwise perhaps Maitreyi was right to tell Yajnavalkya that. But time does not stand still. So Isaac Newton was also right when he said what he said. The humanity stands benefited when the unconquered treasures are brought out. A nuclear power plant thus is a saving of millions of tonnes of coal dug out from the bowels of earth. Newton's humility was what I had in mind when I quoted the ocean and its treasures.

Orange and purple. I expected this when i chose the color. I deleberately took the liberty as I thought that the substance will occupy the minds fully to the exclusion of the minor detail. That was not to be. Okay. And you are ever so gentle in pointing it out. Yes, I remember you are a Libran. LOL.

Colors are beautiful. I enjoy and worship beauty wherever it is. colors are seven and the combinations are a billion and more. Swaras are seven and their combinations are in many. Why they are both just seven? The color blind see only white perhaps. Do we really know? I think we do not and we can not. Because color is a personal experience like pain. Your blue may be my green or red and my red may be your blue or purple.

Well that was not an attempt at confusing you. The plain fact is my computer has been set to a dull glow not to be hurting the eyes and purple looks red and I do not just bother as long as it is not blue. LOL.

Last edited:
Vaagmi Sir

Kuladeivam Tradition is probably followed only in South India communities and renukaji is from Malaysia she might not understand the full significance of it.

So please stop arguing this subject with her and let her have her whatever opinion on this.

In no way it is going to affect our concept about Kuladeivam.

Vaagmi Sir

Kuladeivam Tradition is probably followed only in South India communities and renukaji is from Malaysia she might not understand the full significance of it.

So please stop arguing this subject with her and let her have her whatever opinion on this.

Put her in ignore list- We can have a Yes Minister cabinet

Then we can have stories like this

Post#1 Amazing! I saw a white crow flying yesterday!!

#2 Yes Sir I also saw one flying this moring when I opened my bedroom window It was Milk white looked as if it has just come out of a "Rin Bath" !! Strange but I saw one Moonu Kal muyal hopping around my lawn Did you have it also in your place?

#3 I will look around for that But Not come across one yet - Thanks for sharing this .

Vaagmi Sir

Dear PJ sir,

Being part South Indian myself I am no stranger to the concept of Kula Deivam and by the way Kula Deivam worship is also practiced by North Indians where they use the word Kul Devata to describe Kula Deivam.

Even when one reads Raghuvamsam there is an episode where the Patron Deivam of Ayodhya approaches a scion of Raghu lineage to go back to Ayodhya and restart the Kingdom.

I might be from Msia but that does not mean I am not informed about culture,tradition,religious knowledge etc...its just that my opinions might differ but that does not mean Vaagmi ji should cease exchanging opinions with me.

I like engaging with Vaagmi ji and many others including you too..it makes one recollect what one read before and also makes one do some more reading and research.

Learning is never ending process....I hope you understand that. I am sure you or anyone else here have firm faith that can not derailed even by the Devil..so why fear reading what I write unless you fear me more than Lucifer.

Last edited:

#2 Yes Sir I also saw one flying this moring when I opened my bedroom window It was Milk white looked as if it has just come out of a "Rin Bath" !! Strange but I saw one Moonu Kal muyal hopping around my lawn Did you have it also in your place?

#3 I will look around for that But Not come across one yet - Thanks for sharing this .

LOL!

You wont believe it..I used to be part of some religious forum Google Group before and believe me enough of their posts sounded somewhat like this..it was so boringly fake that I left!

Kula Daivam is like a phone which comes in many forms - cordless, various colors, cellular, corded, PC based, part of video phone etc.

People have their preference and sometimes they use the phone that is available like a pay phone. All sincere users of any phone (read it as deity) use it to talk to the Supreme God only.

For some like Madam Renuka her Godman is her phone. For Mr Vaagmi - Sriman Narayana is his phone and when he visits his village he uses the pay phone (his Krishna deity).

Enjoy your conversations with God LoL

For some like Madam Renuka her Godman is her phone. For Mr Vaagmi - Sriman Narayana is his phone and when he visits his village he uses the pay phone (his Krishna deity).

Enjoy your conversations with God LoL

Thank you for paying the phone bill!LOL

ஒரு குலம் என்பது அந்தந்த வழிக் குடும்ப பாரம்பரியத்தைக் குறிக்கும். அந்த கால வம்சத்தினர் தமது குடும்பத்திற்கென்று ஒரு வழிபாட்டு தெய்வத்தினை வைத்துக் கொண்டு இருந்தார்கள். தமக்கு காவல் தேவை, தனது அடுத்த சந்ததியினர் நன்றாக இருக்க வேண்டும் போன்றவற்றுக்காக குல தெய்வ வழிபாட்டை முக்கியக் குறிக்கோளாகக் கொண்டு இருந்தார்கள். மற்ற கடவுள்களுக்கு இல்லாத சிறப்பு குலதெய்வத்திற்கு மட்டும் தான் உண்டு. குலம் தழைக்க வேண்டும், முன்னோர் சாந்தி அடையவேண்டும், பின்னோர் செழிக்க வேண்டும் என்று நம் முன்னோர்களால் வழிபடப்பட்ட குல தெய்வத்தின் அருள் நம் மீது பட்டால் துன்பங்கள் பறந்திடும் என்ற நம்பிக்கைகள் பரவி இருந்தன.
எனக்கூறுகிறார் "சாந்திப்ரியா" (திரு N R ஜெயராமன் ) அவர்கள் தனது "குல தெய்வ வழிபாடு / Kula Theiva Worship " எனும் தலைப்பில் எழுதியுள்ள ஆராய்ச்சிக்கட்டுரையில். குலதெய்வ வழிபாட்டு சரித்திரத்தை அறியவிரும்புவர்கள் அவசியம் படிக்கவேண்டிய கட்டுரை இது.
அவரது பதிவுகளை கீழே அளித்துள்ள வலைப்பதிவில் படிக்கலாம்

Santhipriya's pages
குல தெய்வ வழிபாடு / Kula Theiva Worship -1

ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்
பெங்களுரு.

#4 I feel sorry - I am not blessed with the vision of Moonu Kal muyal yet ! I was discusing about this with my Philosphical minded neighbour He feels that these unusal sights should have some inner meaning it is our ignorance that we are unable see these meaning - He suggests that what we saw may not be Vella Kaaka it could be Hamsa Pakshi of Sarawathi - there are reports that people have seen river saraswathi flowing again and hence the Bird also might have migrated to your lawns - birds do that you know !

#5 Really enlightenig! It is our Poorvajanma Puniyam that we could have dharshan Saraswathi in the guise of Hamsa

Fun is No Sin!!

P.S. Nobody is in my Ignore List!!

Last edited:
Thank you for paying the phone bill!LOL

God will accept collect calls - but it is free local call for Indians since God is everywhere for them , not in far away place hiding in a heaven in another galaxy.. so enjoy your conversations :)

I think that the concept of "Kula Deivam" was originally one adopted by various warrior clans; it was not applicable to Brahmins. In course of time, however, Brahmins as also various other castes started "adopting" one deity or another as their family deity. Among Brahmins (I mean 'Tamil Brahmins') the convention is that all the nuclear families belonging to the paternal line will have the same "Kula Deivam" whereas the Kula Deivam of one's mother's side was completely immaterial.

Astrologers also used to follow this line of thinking, till some time past; however, some astrologers have now started divining about the need to do Kula Deiva Preethi for mother's side kuladeivam also. Their logic is that the displeasure of the kuladeivam on the mother's side will also bring in unfavourable results and that "Kulam" denotes both the father's and mother's kulams.

When the logic goes in this manner, it can very easily branch out to include all Kuladeivams on the maternal lineage, i.e., the Kuladeivams of the families of mother, grandmother, great grandmother and so on. Hence, it appears as though the concept of Kuladeivam was only a "convention" to bolster the patrilineal family concept and nothing more. In the days to come this may get discarded since the women's emancipation is gaining strength in our society also.

Village deities or Grama Devatha are generally known as Kula Deivam to a family
which is being worshiped for many generations, tracing through centuries. Kula Deivams
are given preference over other Ishta Devathai during the time of worship, but also on
various other occasions that take place in a family. These temples in some places
are usually in the open space and may not have a traditional tower or gopuram
like any other temples built by the kings except for a few. For e.g. Shri Mathura
Kali Amman at Siruvachur was built by one of the Chola Kings Shri Darma Varman,
who worshiped HER all the time till his generation existed. In fact this temple is also
known as Kula Deivam of Kanchi Maha Periyavaa. In some villages, pujas are normally
performed on some special occasions once in an year by individuals or by a community
belonging to that region. In some cases, historical stories do exist about the Deity. We do
not see certain things. It is said by our ancestors that God is nothing but of Manusha roopam.
During some occasions, if we are sincere to our Kula Deivam, "Manitha roopathil vanthu
uthavi seyyum". There is no question of second thought for this.

An article which appeared in Deepam Magazine written by Shri Indira Soundararajan is reproduced
below for information.

Kanchi Maha பெரியவர் ஊர் ஊராகச் சென்று சாதுர்மாஸ்ய விரதம் இருந்துவந்த ஒருநாள் அது. அப்படி ஒரு கிராமத்தில் அவர் தங்கியிருந்தபோது, ஒரு விவசாயி பெரியவரை மிகவும் பிரயாசைப்பட்டு வந்து சந்தித்தார். அவரிடம் துளியும் உற்சாகமில்லை. முகமும் இருளடைந்து போயிருந்தது. வாயைத் திறந்து தன் துன்பங்களைக் கூற அவசியமே இல்லாதபடி, பார்த்த மாத்திரத்தில் அவரின் துன்பம் பெரியவருக்கு விளங்கி விட்டது.

இருந்தும் அந்த விவசாயி,சாமி… ஏண்டா உயிரோட இருக்கோம்னு இருக்கு. பேசாம குடும்பத்தோட தற்கொலை பண்ணிக்கலா மான்னுகூட தோணுது. ஒரு மனுஷனுக்கு வாழ்க்கைல போராட்டம் இருக்கும். ஆனா, என் வரைல போராட்டமே வாழ்க்கையா இருக்கு” என்று துயரத்தைச் சொல்லி அழுதார்.

பெரியவர் அவரிடம், குலதெய்வத்துக்கு ஒழுங்கா பூஜை செய்யறியா?” என்று கேட்டார்.

குலதெய்வமா… அப்படின்னா?” – திருப்பிக் கேட்டார் அவர்.

சரிதான்… உங்க குலதெய்வம் எதுன்னே தெரியாதா?”

ஆமாம் சாமி… வியாபார விஷயமா எங்க முன்னோர்கள் பர்மா போயிட்டாங்க. பல காலம் அங்க இருந்துட்டு திரும்பிவந்த குடும்பம் எங்க குடும்பம். என் பாட்டன்ல ஒருத்தருக்கு கடவுள் நம்பிக்கை இல்லாததால, அவர் பிள்ளைகளும் அவரைப் பார்த்து அப்படியே வந்துட்டாங்க. நாங்கள்ளாம் அந்த வழில வந்தவங்கதான்” என்றார்.

உன் முன்னோர்கள் யாராவது இப்ப உயிரோட இருக்காங்களா?”

ஒருத்தர் கிராமத்துல இருக்கார். என் அப்பா வழி பாட்டனார் அவர்.”

அவர்கிட்ட போய் உங்க குலதெய்வத்தைப் பத்தி கொஞ்சம் கேட்டுண்டு வா.”

ஏன் சாமி… அந்த சாமி எதுன்னு தெரிஞ்சு கும்பிட்டாதான் என் பிரச்னை தீருமா?”

அப்படித்தான் வெச்சுக்கோயேன்…”

என்ன சாமி நீங்க… ஊர்ல எவ்வளவோ கோயில் இருக்கு. அங்க எல்லாமும் சாமிங்கதான் இருக்கு. அப்ப அதுக்கெல்லாம் சக்தி இல்லையா?”

நான் அப்படிச் சொல்லவே இல்லையே!”

அப்ப இந்த சாமில ஒண்ண கும்பிடச் சொல்லாம, குலதெய்வத்த தெரிஞ்சுக்கிட்டு வரச் சொல்றீங்களே!”

காரணமாத்தான் சொல்றேன். ஓட்டைப் பாத்திரத்துல எவ்வளவு தண்ணி பிடிச்சாலும் நிக்காது. நீ, என்ன மாதிரி எதுவும் வேண்டாம்கற சன்னியாசி இல்லை. வாழ்வாங்கு வாழ விரும்பற குடும்பம்தான். எனக்கு, பாத்திரமே கூட தேவையில்லை. ஆனா, உனக்கு பாத்திரம்தான் பிரதான தேவை. பாத்திரம் இருந்தாத் தானே எதையும் அதுல போட்டு வெக்க முடியும்? அப்படிப்பட்ட பாத்திரம் ஓட்டையா இருந்தா, அதுல எதைப் போட்டாலும் அந்த ஓட்டை வழியா வெளிய போகுமா போகாதா?”

அப்ப குலதெய்வம்தான் பாத்திரமா… அது தெரியாததால ஓட்டைப் பாத்திரமாயிடிச்சுங்கறீங்களா?”

நீ, கேள்வி கேட்காம உன் குலதெய்வம் எதுங்கறத தெரிஞ்சு அந்தக் குலதெய்வத்தைத் தேடிப்போய் சாஷ்டாங்கமா உடம்பு தரைலபட நமஸ்காரம் பண்ணிட்டு வா. உனக்கு அப்புறமா விளக்கமா சொல்றேன்” என்று அவரை அனுப்பி வைத்தார்.

அவரும் ஒரு பத்து நாள் கழித்து, சாமி! நீங்க சொன்னதைச் செய்துட்டேன். எங்க குலதெய்வம் பேச்சாயிங்கற ஒரு அம்மன். அதோட கோயில் ஒரு மலை அடிவாரத்துல இடிஞ்சுபோய் கிடந்துச்சு. யாருமே போகாம விட்டதால, கோயிலை புதர் மூடிடுச்சு. நானும் என் மக்களும் போய் புதரை எல்லாம் வெட்டி எறிஞ்சோம். அங்க, ஒரு நடு கல்தான் பேச்சாயி! ஏதோ எங்களால முடிஞ்ச அளவுக்கு அதுமேல பால ஊத்தி அபிஷேகம் செஞ்சு, கற்பூரம் காட்டி கும்பிட்டுட்டு வரேன்” என்றார்.

சபாஷ்… அந்தக் கோயிலை நல்லபடியா எடுத்துக்கட்டு. தினசரி அங்க விளக்கு எரியும்படியா பார்த்துக்கோ! உன் கஷ்டங்கள் தானா நீங்கிவிடும். பேச்சாயி பூவும் பொட்டுமா ஜொலிச்சா, உன் குடும்பமும் ஜொலிக்கும்” என்றார் பெரியவர்!

சாமி! நிறைய விளக்கமெல்லாம் சொல்றதா சொன்னீங்களே… எதுவுமே சொல்லலியே?”

அடுத்த வருஷம் இதே தேதிக்கு வா! அப்ப சொல்றேன். நான் சொன்னதை மறந்துடாதே… பேச்சாயியை விட்டுடாதே!”

அவரும் அவ்வாறே செய்தார். ஒரு வருடமும் ஓடியது. அவரும் பெரியவரைக் காண திரும்ப வந்தார். இந்த முறை அவரிடம் ஒரு செல்வச் செழிப்பு தெரிந்தது. பெரியவரை ஒன்றும் சும்மா பார்க்க வரவில்லை. தட்டு நிறைய பூ, பழம் இவற்றோடு கொஞ்சம் பணம் என்று தான் முன்னால் வந்து நின்றார். பெரியவரும் ஏறிட்டார்.

சாமி… நான் இப்ப நல்லா இருக்கேன். பேச்சாயி புண்ணியத்துல பிள்ளைகளும் நல்லா இருக்காங்க. இதுக்கு வழிகாட்டின பெரியசாமி நீங்கதான்! ஆனா, எனக்கு விளக்கத்த மட்டும் இன்னும் தராமலே இருக்கீங்க… இந்த அதிசயம் எப்படி நடந்தது?” – என்று திரும்ப அவர் கேட்டார். பெரியவரும் திருவாய் மலரத் தொடங்கினார். அது…?

ஒரு வருடம் கழித்து திரும்ப வந்த பர்மாக்காரரிடம் ‘குலதெய்வம்’ என்பது குறித்து பெரியவா சொன்னது மிகவும் கவனமாய் அனைவரும் அறிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டிய ஒன்றாகும்.
நம் முன்னோர்கள் வணங்கி வந்த தெய்வம்தான் குலதெய்வமாகும். முன்னோர்கள் என்றால், நமக்கு முன்பிறந்த எல்லோருமே முன்னோர்கள்தான். ஆனால் இங்கே முன்னோர்கள் என்றால், நாம் நம் தந்தைவழி பாட்டன் பாட்டிமார்களைக் கணக்கில் எடுத்துக் கொள்ள வேண்டும். இந்தத் தந்தைவழி பாட்டன்மார் வரிசையில், மிகப்பெரிய ஒழுங்கு ஒன்று இருப்பதை கூர்ந்து கவனித்தால் உணரலாம்.

அதுதான் ‘கோத்திரம்’ என்னும் ஒரு ரிஷியின் வழிவழிப் பாதை.

பிற கோத்திரத்தில் இருந்து பெண்கள் வந்து இந்த வழிவழிப் பாதையில் நம் தாத்தாக்களின் வாழ்க்கைத் துணையாகக் கை பிடித்திருப்பார்கள். எக்காரணம் கொண்டும் ஒரே கோத்திரத்தில் பெண் சம்பந்தம் ஏற்பட்டிருக்காது. இதனால், ரிஷி பரம்பரையானது சங்கிலிக் கண்ணி போல அறுபடாமல், ஒரே சகோதரத்துவத்தோடு வந்த வண்ணம் இருக்கும். இது ஒரு முக்கியமான ஒழுங்கு சார்ந்த விஷயமாகும்.

அடுத்து, இவர்கள் அவ்வளவு பேருக்குமே நட்சத்திரம் வேறாக, உடலமைப்பு வேறாக, குணப்பாடுகள் வேறாகவும் இருக்கும். அதுதான் இயற்கையும்கூட! ஆனால், கோத்திர வழி மாறாதபடி இவர்கள் நம் குலதெய்வம் என்னும் தெய்வ சான்னித்தியத்தில் கைகூப்பி நின்றிருப்பார்கள். தலைமுடி கொடுத்திருப்பார்கள். காது குத்துவது போன்ற வழிவழிச் செயல்பாடுகளும் நடந்துமிருக்கும்.

இந்த உலகத்தில் ஆயிரம் கோயில்கள் இருக்கின்றன. அந்தக் கோயில்களுக்கு அவர்கள் போயிருக்கலாம்; போகாமலும் இருக்கலாம். அதற்கு உத்தரவாதமில்லை. ஆனால், குலதெய்வக் கோயிலுக்கு, நாம் பக்தி என்கிற ஒன்றை அறிவதற்கு முன்பே, நம் தாய் தந்தையரால் அங்கு கொண்டு செல்லப்பட்டு, வணங்க வைக்கவும் படுகிறோம். இதன்படி பார்த்தால், குலதெய்வ சன்னிதியில் சென்று நாம் நிற்கும் போது, நம் பரம்பரை வரிசையில் போய் நிற்கிறோம். இந்த வரிசைத் தொடர்பை வேறு எங்காவது, எந்த விதத்திலாவது உருவாக்க முடியுமா?”

- பெரியவர் சொல்லச் சொல்ல, பர்மாக்காரரிடம் பரவசம்!

அது மட்டுமல்ல. ஒரு மனிதனின் பிறப்புக்குப் பின்னே இப்படியொரு பரம்பரை வரிசை இருப்பதை நினைக்கக்கூட தெரியாமல், அதிகபட்சம் இரு பாட்டன் பாட்டி பேருக்கு மேல் தெரியாமல் அல்லவா நம் வாழ்க்கைப் போக்கு உள்ளது?

ஒரு குடும்பத்தைப் பொருத்தவரையில் அந்த இறைசக்தி குலதெய்வமாக, அவர்களுக்கான ஒரு பெயரில் வெளிப்படுகிறது. இப்படிச் சொல்வதுகூட தவறு. வெளிப்பட, வழிவகை செய்யப்பட்டது! அதுவும் யாரால்? நம் முன்னோர்களால்! அவர்கள் யார்? நம்முடைய தொடக்கங்கள்… நாம் யார்? அந்தத் தொடக்கத்தின் தொடர்ச்சி! மொத்தத்தில், நாம் வேறு அவர்கள் வேறு இல்லை.

இந்த வழிவழிப் போக்கில் ஒருவர் மூட்டை மூட்டையாகப் புண்ணியத்தைக் கட்டியிருக்கலாம். இன்னொருவர் பாவமேகூட பண்ணியிருக்கட்டுமே! நாம் அங்கே போய் நின்று நம் பொருட்டு பிரத்யேகமாக வெளிப்படும் அந்த இறைசக்தியைத் தொழும் போது, அவர்களும் பித்ருக்களாக விண்ணில் இருந்து பார்க்கிறார்கள். நாமும் ஆசீர்வதிக்கப்படுகிறோம். இது எத்தனை தூரப் பார்வையோடு, வடிவமைக்கப்பட்ட ஒரு விஷயம்?”

- பெரியவர் விளக்கி முடிக்க, வந்திருந்த கூட்டம் சிலிர்த்துப் போனது.

இந்தக் குலதெய்வ வழிபாட்டில் மிகப்பெரிய நல்ல சமாச்சாரம் ஒன்றும் அடங்கியுள்ளது. சந்தர்ப்ப சூழல்களால் அல்லது பூர்வ கர்மத்தால், அதுவுமல்லாது பல்வேறு காரணங்களால் ஒருவருக்கு பக்தி உணர்வு இல்லாமல் போகிறது என்று வையுங்கள். அதாவது, கண்ணுக்குப் புலப்படாத இந்தக் கடவுளை நாம் நம்பத் தயாரில்லை.

நான் ஒன்றும் முட்டாளில்லை என்று அவர் வீராப்பா பேசி, நாத்திகத்தில் நம்பிக்கை ஏற்பட்டு அதிலேயே அவர் போகும் நிலை வந்தாலும் பெரிதாய் தோஷமில்லை. ஏனென்றால், அவர் இவ்வாறு ஒரு நாத்திக நிலைப்பாடு கொள்ளும் முன்பே, இந்தப் பரம்பரை வரிசையில் பெற்றோர்களால் வணங்க வைக்கப்பட்டு ஆசீர்வதிக்கவும் பட்டிருப்பதால், அவர் ஒருநாள் நிச்சயம் மனம் மாறி அருள் தொடர்புக்கு ஆட்படுவார் என்பது தான் இதிலுள்ள மிகச்சிறந்த ஒரு விஷயமாகும்.

இப்படி நம்பிக்கையற்றுப் போனவர், தன் பிள்ளைகளை அழைத்துவர மாட்டாரே! அவர்கள், இதனால் இந்தப் பரம்பரை தொடர்புக்கு ஆட்படாமல் போய் விடுவார்களே என்று ஒரு கேள்வி எழலாம். பெரும்பாலும் ஒரு வழியில், ஒரே கோத்திரத்தில் திருமணங்கள் புரிந்து கொள்ளாமல், முன்னோர் காட்டிய வழியில் போகும் பட்சத்தில், வாழ்வில் நமக்கு பெரிய கஷ்டங்கள் வருவது இல்லை என்பதுதான் இம்மட்டில் புரிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டிய விஷயமாகும். உடம்புக்கு உணவுப் பொருளால் சக்தி ஏற்படுவது போல், மனதுக்கு இறை அருளால் சக்தி ஏற்படுகிறது.

ஒரு குலதெய்வத்தின் பின்னால், இப்படியான பிரத்யேக சிறப்புகள் நிறையவே உள்ளது. குல தெய்வத்தைப் பக்தியோடு கொண்டாடும்போது, பெரிய தோஷங்களுக்கு இடமில்லாமல் போய் நம் வாழ்வும் சிறப்பாகிறது. பர்மாக்காரர் வரையிலும் அதுதான் நிகழ்ந்தது.

எனக்கும் இந்தக் குலதெய்வ விஷயம் மனசுக்குள் பெரும் உற்சாகத்தைத் தந்தது. நான் எங்கள் குலதெய்வக் கோயிலுக்குப் போனபோது என் பார்வையே மாறிப்போனது. அந்தக் கோயிலில் உள்ள ஒவ்வொரு தூண்களையும் தொடும்போது, என் தாத்தன் தொட்ட தூண்.. என் தாத்தன் நின்று மூச்சுவிட்ட இடம்.. என் முப்பாட்டன், அதற்கும் முற்பட்ட பாட்டன் நடந்து திரிந்த தரைப் பரப்பு.. அவர்களைப் பார்த்த பெருமாள் என்னையும் பார்க்கிறார் என்பதா? இல்லை, அவர்கள் பார்த்த பெருமாளை நான் பார்க்கிறேன் என்பதா?
ஒன்று உறுதி. அந்தப் பெருமாளை வணங்கிய வம்சம் தொடர்ந்து கொண்டே இருக்கிறது. இதுவே எத்தனை பெரிய அனுக்ரகம்! இந்தக் குலதெய்வ விளக்கமும், இதன் பின்புலமும் எனக்குள் நம் முன்னோர்கள் மேல் பெரும் மரியாதையை ஏற்படுத்திற்று.
(நன்றி : தீபம் (கல்கி வழங்கும் ஆன்மீக இதழ்)

Dear Sri sangom Sir

Thanks for your view on this subject.

However i feel that South Indian Tamil Brahmins may not discard praying their Kuladeivam even with women's emancipation is gaining strength in their society.

But who knows, with number of their children moving away to far away places, unless some elders can guide them, this practice may also fade away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back