• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Nava Thirupathi tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A SUNDARARAMAN

I had been to Srivaikuntam (near Tirunelveli in south Tamilnadu) recently in connection with my father's ceremony at my brother's place there. He had arranged a whirlwind tour for us (two brothers and wives) to Nava Thirupathies, which are within a short radius of Srivaikuntam.

There are regular tour operators at Srivaikuntam who take the tourists to these 9 places (one is Srivaikuntam itself) within two to three hours. However it is worthwhile if you can spend enough time at each temple instead of rushing to all these 9 places within a fixed time frame of 2 to three hours to satisfy the taxi operator. The normal charge for this Nava thirupathi is Rs.450/- to Rs.500/- per trip with four to five passengers.

The temples are by far very clean and nicely maintained, by TVS group, I am told. And special mention to all the priests at the temples who specifically make it a point to explain who is the God and Goddess there, what is the significance etc., Specially I was touched by the priests at Alwar Thirunagari and Then-Thirupperai where the priests took pains to educate the devotees/tourists with dedication.

However, I cannot fail to mention that two adjoining temples (Rettai Thirupathi) are not in line with other temples. One temple was closed and locked at 5pm sharp (someone at the Temple mentioned it was Sunday on that day!). Another temple charged tickets for seeing the God - not entering Garba griha but just entering the temple itself they want to charge. Except these two temples at Rettai Thirupathi (associated with Rahu and Kethu) other temples were worth the visit. I hope the Trustees address this issue with the Rettai Thirupathi managers.

There is this botanical wonder (Thiru Urangapuli Alwar) at Alwar Thirunagari where some thousands of year old tamarind tree, fossilized at the roots still grows, yields fruits and the leaves do not close at night, like other trees. And the priest there was proud enough to explain this in detail to the visitors.

One disturbing trend was the Aarthi plate with Deepam was always presented with a one hundred rupee note dominantly placed there - just to tell the visitors that perhaps the legal tender is Rs.100/- and anyone offering lesser amount felt offended. Priest should refrain from putting this 100 rupee notes in the aarthi plate. I am sure it was not put by any visitor; if someone has indeed put it, the priest can take it and keep it aside instead of keeping it there on a permanent basis.

And each temples is associated with one planet. I was thinking that Nava Graha temples are only in Tanjore District but these seem to be duplicated in Nava Thirupathi also. Is it a tradition only in Saiva temples to house a sannidhi for Planets or is it common for Vaishnavas too? I am not that knowledgeable in this respect. However, I heard that this is a recent trend in 'temple management' to promote religious tourism. I hope the scholars will enlighten me on this subject.

Anyway I am happy to note that more people are turning to be religious with these new 'tours' culture.

a.sundararaman

alwarthirunagari

Regarding this Navathirupathi......

You can stay in few mutts like uthrathi mutt (north indian) in Alwar Thirunagari as centre and take even any auto that may cost only less for three persons and visit all the Navathriupathi.
No lunch breaks in most of them except may be Srivaikuntam and Alwarthirunagari . Reg Money collection is a news for me.Reg priests there is no such practice of forced collections like showing Rs100 note which also is shocking news . I had been to several times that side staying in Alwarthirunagari. In Alwarthirunagari there are people with science graduation , leaving their jobs and serving there. The Navagraha temples (Vaishanava ) are between Trichendurand Tirunelveli . You can visit both those places also . If you visit google search for NAVATHIRUPATHI you have lot of tour programmes . NAMAlWAR is one among the Alwars who sung pure tamilsongs with ADVAITHIC LORE . He is not a brahmin by birth but he was a Brahman. பிரம்மத்தில் நிலைத்தவர் ஆதலால் பிராமணர்.
All the nine temples are well maintained by TVS group. Any complaint
may lead to sending home of the priests .

Some of the mutts in Alwarthirunagari give lunch also.
The Navagraha related with Vaishanava and the other Navagraha with Saivait may be so
but I am not sure and am not to declare that way.
NAVA THRIUPATHIGAL ROUTE MAP CLICK HERE
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2449333190074389251YBRYj

Last edited:
In Alwarthirunagari

In Alwarthirunagari , if you stay in the Uthrathi Mutt , it will be very very nice. At the backyard , you have Tamarabarani river canal running through the Agraharam. You can have a beautiful bath and they will provide you food on request . After breakfast you can take some taxi, or auto as the case may be and finish by 0200 pm all the Navathirupathigal.

Alwarthirunagari temple details are more to put it here . I am providing a link to go through more in detail so that you can feel the importance of NAMALWAR and the place there.
From here you have lot of buses to Thiruchendur .Once atleast in your life time you must visit such places. All the Navathirupathi temples are well maintained by TVS , providing all facilities to the priests and pilgrims . Even there are surprise checks.

The link for more detailed study..
Alwartirunagari Info - Hindubooks.org

Last edited:
NAMAlWAR is one among the Alwars who sung pure tamilsongs with ADVAITHIC LORE .

Hello, will you please explain this further? I don't understand what you mean by "ADVAITHIC LORE".

Thank you....

Dear Nara sir,
He also rendered songs with advaithic philosphy .
Thanks. Further details not available with me .
please pardon me.

He also rendered songs with advaithic philosphy .
Thanks. Further details not available with me .
please pardon me.

Dear Akura,

Greetings! I was not trying to put you on a spot, but was not sure how familiar you were with Nammazhvar's poems. I am somewhat familiar and let me assure you, Swami Nammazhvar did not subscribe to the doctrine of Advaitanm, not that there is anything wrong or right about Advaitham.

Bhagavat Ramanuja, the preeminent proponent of Visihtadvatam is supposed to have been, at the very least, inspired by Sri Nammazhvar while writing his magnum opus Sri Bhsahyam. The later scholars such as Swami Sri Desikan and Swami Pillai Lokacharya profusely quote Nammazhvar to bolster their position.

There are 10 verses in Swami Nammazhvar's Thirvaymozhi, namely 5th decade 6th Thiruvay Mozhi. These 10 are particularly moving. Let me give you just one verse as a sample.

கடல்ஞாலம் செய்தேனும் யானே என்னும்
கடல்ஞாலம் ஆவேனும் யானே என்னும்
கடல்ஞாலம் கொண்டேனும் யானே என்னும்
கடல்ஞாலம் கீண்டேனும் யானே என்னும்
கடல்ஞாலம் உண்டேனும் யானே என்னும்
கடல்ஞாலத்தீசன் வந்தேறக் கொலொ
கடல்ஞாலத்தீர்க்கு இவையென் சொல்லுகேன்
கடல்ஞாலத்து என் மகள் கற்கின்றனவே

Here, Swami Nammazhvar takes on the role of the mother of a girl who has so madly fallen in love with Sriman Narayana that she has lost all sense of self and started blabbering as though she is no different from her lover, Sriman Narayana. When these 10 verses are taken out of context from the 1296 verses he sang, it may look like Advaitham.

BTW, for all Sri Vaishnavas, both Brahmins and Non-brahmins, Swami Nammazhavar, a Shudra, is the ultimate acharya in this world. From him the Acharya lineage passes on to Viswaksenar, Laxmi, and Sriman Narayana. The revolutionary beginning of Sri Vaishnavam somehow got derailed and today, even in the presence of the actual mortal remains of the great revolutionary Bhagavat Ramanauja within the precincts of Sri Ranganatha temple in Sri Rangam, NBs are treated as second class human beings.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Nara,
Thanks for the clarifications and knowledge . The subject is very
sensitive .In the presence of Sri Ramana Bhagavan the same song
is quoted and some explanations given (In letters by surinagamma)
the mother feeling about the daughter etc...
There itself Bhagavan replied same way as you have ,avoiding
controversies . I was not for disputing anything , this is one of the
views only so I avoided arguments and more over, I do not have any
references to quote and further clarify the details , but it so happened
what I wanted to reply really the same way you have given it .

I think as Ramana used in his ulladhu naarpathu ,
the word உள்ள has been used (much earlier) by Nammaalwar
My greetings and warm reagards !

Last edited:
நன்றி நாரா அவர்களே
அவை பத்தும் ...........

தற்சமயம் தேடி எடுத்தவை முன்பே கிடைக்கப் பெறவில்லை

கடல்ஞாலம் செய்தேனும் யானே என்னும்
கடல்ஞாலம் ஆவேனும் யானே என்னும்,
கடல்ஞாலம் கொண்டேனும் யானே என்னும்
கடல்ஞாலம் கீண்டேனும் யானே என்னும்,
கடல்ஞாலம் முண்டேனும் யானே என்னும்
கடல்ஞாலத் தீசன்வந் தேறக் கொலோ?,
கடல்ஞா லத்தீர்க் கிவையென் சொல்லுகேன்
கடல்ஞா லத்தென் மகள்கற் கின்றனவே? 5.6.1
கற்கும்கல் விக்கெல்லை யிலனே என்னும்
கற்கும்கல்வி யாவேனும் யானே என்னும்,
கற்கும்கல்வி செய்வேனும் யானே என்னும்
கற்கும்கல்வி தீர்ப்பேனும் யானே என்னும்,
கற்கும்கல்விச் சாரமும் யானே என்னும்
கற்கும்கல்வி நாதன்வன் தேறக் கொலோ?,
கற்கும் கல்வியீர்க் கிவையென் சொல்லுகேன்
கற்கும் கல்வியென் மகள்காண் கின்றனவே? 5.6.2
காண்கின்ற நிலமெல்லாம் யானே என்னும்
காண்கின்ற விசும்பெல்லாம் யானே என்னும்,
காண்கின்ற வெந்தீயெல்லாம் யானே என்னும்
காண்கின்ற இக்காற்றெல்லாம் யானே என்னும்,
காண்கின்ற கடலெல்லாம் யானே என்னும்
காண்கின்ற கடல்வண்ண னேறக் கொலோ?
காண்கின்ற வுலகத் தீர்க்கென் சொல்லுகேன்
காண்கின்ற வென்கா ரிகைசெய் கின்றனவே? 5.6.3
செய்கின்ற கிதியெல்லாம் யானே என்னும்
செய்வானின் றனகளும் யானே என்னும்,
செய்துமுன் னிறந்தனவும் யானே என்னும்
செய்கைப்பய னுண்பேனும் யானே என்னும்,
செய்வார்களைச் செய்வேனும் யானே என்னும்
செய்யகம லக்கண்ண னேறக் கொலோ?
செய்யவுல கத்தீர்க் கிவையென் சொல்லுகேன்
செய்ய கனிவா யிளமான் திறத்தே? 5.6.4
திறம்பாமல் மண்காக்கின்றேன் யானே என்னும்
திறம்பாமல் மலையெடுத் தேனே என்னும்,
திறம்பாமல் அசுரரைக்கொன் றேனே என்னும்
திறங்காட்டி யன்றைவரைக் காத்தேனே என்னும்,
திறம்பாமல் கடல்கடைந் தேனே என்னும்
திறம்பாத கடல்வண்ண னேறக் கொலோ?
திறம்பாத வுலகத் தீர்க்கென் சொல்லுகேன்
திறம்பா தென்திரு மகளெய் தினவே? 5.6.5
இனவேய்மலை யேந்தினேன் யானே என்னும்
இனவேறுகள் செற்றேனும் யானே என்னும்,
இனவான்கன்று மேய்த்தேனும் யானே என்னும்
இனவாநிரை காத்தேனும் யானே என்னும்,
இனவாயர் தலைவனும் யானே என்னும்
இனத்தேவர் தலைவன்வந் தேறக் கொலோ?,
இனவேற்கண் நல்லீர்க் கிவையென் சொல்லுகேன்
இனவேற் கண்ணி யென்மக ளுற்றனவே? 5.6.6
உற்றார்க ளெனக்கில்லை யாரும் என்னும்
உற்றார்க ளெனக்கிங்கெல் லாரும் என்னும்,
உற்றார்களைச் செய்வேனும் யானே என்னும்
உற்றார்களை அழிப்பேனும் யானே என்னும்,
உற்றார்களுக் குற்றேனும் யானே என்னும்
உற்றாரிலி மாயன் வந்தேறக் கொலோ?,
உற்றீர்கட் கென்சொல்லிச் சொல்லு கேன்யான்
உற்றென் னுடைப்பே தையுரைக் கின்றனவே? 5.6.7
உரைக்கின்ற முக்கட்பிரான் யானே என்னும்
உரைக்கின்ற திசைமுகன் யானே என்னும்,
உரைக்கின்ற அமரரும் யானே என்னும்
உரைக்கின்ற அமரர் கோன் யானே என்னும்,
உரைக்கின்ற முனிவரும் யானே என்னும்
உரைக்கின்ற முகில்வண்ண னேறக் கொலோ?,
உரைக்கின்ற உலகத் தீர்க்கென் சொல்லுகேன்
உரைக்கின்ற வென்கோ மளவொண் கொடிக்கே? 5.6.8
கொடிய வினையாது மிலனே என்னும்
கொடியவினை யாவேனும் யானே என்னும்,
கொடியவினை செய்வேனும் யானே என்னும்
கொடியவினை தீர்ப்பேனும் யானே என்னும்,
கொடியா னிலங்கைசெற் றேனே என்னும்
கொடியபுள் ளுடையவ னேறக் கொலோ?,
கொடிய வுலகத்தீர்க் கிவையென் சொல்லுகேன்
கொடியேன் கொடியென் மகள்கோ லங்களே? 5.6.9
கோலங்கொள் சுவர்க்கமும் யானே என்னும்
கோலமில் நரகமும் யானே என்னும்,
கோலம்திகழ் மோக்கமும் யானே என்னும்
கோலங்கொ ளுயிர்களும் யானே என்னும்,
கோலங்கொள் தனிமுதல் யானே என்னும்
கோலங்கொள் முகில்வண்ண னேறக் கொலோ?
கோலங்கொ ளுலகத் தீர்க்கென் சொல்லுகேன்
கோலந் திகழ்கோ தையென்கூந் தலுக்கே. 5.6.10
கூந்தல்மலர் மங்கைக்கும் மண்மடந் தைக்கும்
குலவாயர் கொழுந்துக்கும் கேள்வன் தன்னை
வாய்ந்த வழுதி நாடன் மன்னு
குருகூர்ச் சடகோபன் குற்றே வல்செய்து,
ஆய்ந்த தமிழ்மாலை ஆயி ரத்துள்
இவையுமோர் பத்தும்வல் லார்,உலகில்
ஏந்து பெருஞ்செல்வந் தாராய்த் திருமால்
அடியார் களைப்பூ சிக்கநோற் றார்களே. 5.6.11

Last edited:
In Srivaikuntam about 12 kms from Thirunelveli enroute to Thiruchendur there is a village Karungulam. On a small hill u have the temple of Venkatachalapathi.The main
Vigragam is 2 pieces of Sandalwood logs. Adjoining the temple There is a tamarind tree whose leaves do not close in the night(URANGA PULIA MARAM).It is a temple of more than 1000yrs old.By offering prayers there all boons r answered .The pournami day on Chitrai month is celebrated in a grand manner with every one connected with the village being there on that day from Far & Near

Thanks for detailed information provided.

1. I wish to clarify that Uttaradhi Mutt belongs to Orissa. They have even today
a noteworthy role in the administration of Tirumala temple affairs.

2. To my knowledge, navagrahas (nine planets) do not find a place inside a
perumal kovil, for whatever reasons. It is a general practice but exceptions
could be there.

3. Alwars by their nature were immersed in Bhakthi and sang in praise of Lord
Ranganatha/Srinivasa/Kannapiran/Venkateswara/Perumal in various other
forms and names. They firmly believed in ultimate surrender to the Lord as
the only way to salvation. 'Advaitam' was not their cup of tea, by any stretch
of imagination.

I have been to the Navatirupathi pilgrimage more than 3 rimes.In the early 2000s it was dificult to see all the temples in a day since the bhattar was common ro two temples.After the TVS people steppedin and restored the temples you can do all the temples easily.
If you start from Tirunelveli about 7 AM you can have darshan in all the nine shrines see Tiruchendur Murugan and comeback

Nava Thirupathi Tour

To avoid exploitation by Taxi drivers and Auto drivers it is better to do the Nava Thirupathi Tour on foot. At least the able bodied persons should be able to do this because all the nine temples are within a radius of 10km only. Like Tiruvannamalai Girivalam people can start from SriVaikuntam and cover all the temples within three to four hours. There are many taking padayathra to Tiruchendur and Palani etc., Hence we can start this Nava Thirupathi Pada Yathra from one temple - say people from other parts of the state can alight at Srivaikuntam and start from there. Srivaikuntam has got railway and bus connections hence the suggestion.

A. Sundararaman

Is it possible? Whether the 9 temples are located that much nearby? How about the roads?? Please provide us some more details regarding this sir.

Pranams

It is possible to walk but it will take several days.The total cricumblation comes to nearly 50 kms

Nothing is impossible with His blessings

I have come across padayathras to Palani and Tiruchendur from places 50 to 60kms away. People have done girivalams of Tiruvannamalai (14Kms) on a daily basis for 40 days as a prayer. Now we are talking about Navathirupathi temples which are within a short distance of each other. I have just gone to them just once hence dont have an idea of exactly how many Kms are each of the temples from the other.

In each of these temples there is a map showing all the 9 temples, their location and the route map. My opinion is they can be covered by padayathra by able bodies persons within a period of four hours. The roads are very much motorable hence the taxis are plying. Regular bus services are not there hence there is exploitation by taxi drivers and auto drivers.

I am sure someone from that Srivaikuntam area can get us the exact distance of these temples from each other and the preferred route to follow. As I understand there is no order in which one should see all the temples. Some start at Alwar Tirunagari, some start at Srivaikuntam.

I think the total distance of these temples should not be more than 20Km. Srivaikuntam, Alwar Thirunagari and Then thirupperai are within 10kms on the same road ie., Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur road. Other temples are short distances across the river Tamirabharani.

I wish and pray someone will start this Religious Padayathra of Nava Thirupathis a popular pilgrimage.

A. Sundararaman

we are planning to visit nava thirupathi/tiruchendur/kanyakumari/suchindram/nanguneri/tirunelveli and other nearby temples. we will be reaching tinnevelly by about 8 or 8:30 am on 30th dec and should reach tuticorin on 1st jan by about 18:00 hrs to catch pearl city to chennai.

our tentative programe is as follows:

30th dec - leave tinnevelly by 10:30 - visit all the nava thirupathi temples by evening
visit tiruchendur and back to tinnevelly by max 21:00 hrs.

31st dec - leave tinnevelly by 7:30/8:00 to kanyakumari - enroute nanguneri/
nagercoil/suchindram/kanyakumari - and return to tinnevelly by 21:00 hrs.

1st jan - nellaiappar/kanthimathi temple, kurukkuthurai murugan temple etc., and
return to tuticorin by max 18:00 hrs.

my doubt is whether we can visit all the above temples. will there be any change in the temple timings because of margazhi month early morning poojas.

i request the members who have better knowledge of the temple timings to clarify/
advise as to whether our above programme is ok.

thanks a lot.

narayanan ms

Dear Narayanams
If you start from Tirunelveli it will be too late and some of the Navatirupathis will be closed.
If you want to cover all the navatirupathis on a single day you must keave from Tiruhelveli about 7AM

dear pbkhema
thanks for your information. but since we will be reaching tirunelveli by 8:00 am, it may not be possible to start at 7:00 from tirunelveli.
my plan is to leave tirunelveli by 9:00 and cover some of the nave thirupathi temples before 12:00 noon and the other temples between 14:00 and 16:00. after completing visits to nava thirupathi temples, we plan to go to tiruchendure say by 19:00 hrs and return to tirunelveli by 22:00

is it possible?

thanks

narayanan ms

dear pbkhema
thanks for your information. but since we will be reaching tirunelveli by 8:00 am, it may not be possible to start at 7:00 from tirunelveli.
my plan is to leave tirunelveli by 9:00 and cover some of the nave thirupathi temples before 12:00 noon and the other temples between 14:00 and 16:00. after completing visits to nava thirupathi temples, we plan to go to tiruchendure say by 19:00 hrs and return to tirunelveli by 22:00

is it possible?

thanks

narayanan ms
Two temples (rettai tirupathi) have the same Pattar and on 2 occassions I have taken him in my taxi fromone place to another.
Another of the Navatirupathis is only open from 11 to 1
Things may have changes
Take your luck
PBK

visit to nava thirupathi temples

dear all

as i mentioned in my postings, i plan to visit nava thirupathi temples and tiruchendur on 30th dec 09. i will be able to leave tirunelveli by about 9:30 and have to come back to tirunelveli by 22:00 the same day.

i am unable to plan the trip to nava thirupathi temples since the temple timings are not known to me.

will anybody be able to give me the temple timings (in margazhi month)?

thanks

narayanan ms

Dear narayanan
It may be possible depending upon your mode of conveyance.

Small change if you could make also good
Switch the 30th programme to Ist Jan ...vice versa and recalculate
Best of Luck

Navathirupathi - how to travel and useful information

[ Special Buses operated from Tirunelveli to all Navatirupathi on Purattasi Saturdays from Govt.Per Head Ticket is Rs.250 ]

Tirunelveli division of Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation will organise tour to ‘Navatirupati' on Saturdays of ‘Purattaasi' Tamil month. A statement said special buses would leave the new bus stand at Vaeinthankulam here at 7 a.m. to Srivaikuntam, Naththam, Thiruppuliyankudi, Perunkulam, Rettaithiruppathi, Thenthiruppaerai, Thirukkoloor and Alwarthirunagari on September 18 and 25, October 2, 9 and 16.
After visiting ‘Navathiruppathi', the buses would return to Tirunelveli via Karunkulam, Nanguneri and Thirukkurunkudi.
Rs. 250 pe head
Bus fare for the tour is Rs. 250 per head.
Tickets can be reserved at the new bus stand between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
From Tirunelveli junction
Moreover, special buses would be operated from Tirunelveli Junction – Thiruvenkatanathapuram, Tirunelveli Junction – Karunkulam, Tirunelveli Junction – Ettezhuththu Perumal Temple, Tirunelveli – Nambi Temple (via Nanguneri, Ervadi and Thirukkurunkudi), Thirukkurunkudi – Nambi Temple, Valliyoor – Kalakkad (via Thirukkurunkudi), Ambasamudram – Aththaalanallur and Veeravanallur – Aththaalanallur on these days.

Saint poets, Azhvaars (there were 12 of them including Andaal) were ardent devotees of Lord Vishnu. These saint poets composed verses in Tamil and revitalized the religious spirit sparking off a renewal of devotional worship, referred to as the Bhakti movement. The Azhvaars visited temples and sung praises in the name of Vishnu. Such temples have come to be known as Divya Desams. The compilation of the verses (known as Paasurams) is the revered Naalayira Divya Prabandham(4000 verses). There are 108 Divya Desams in all, around 20 are in the Pandya region(Madurai-Tirunelveli belt). In each of these temples, Vishnu can be seen in one of the following forms- Reclining, Seated or Standing posture.

Nava Tirupathi (9 temples on either side of the river Tamaraibarani)

How to reach NAVATIRUPATHI

From Chennai, one can take Kanniyakumari Exp (430am arrival), Ananthapuri Exp(730am arrival), Nellai Exp(835am arrival), Chendur Express, or PEarl City Express

Where to Stay
The Railway Retiring room is a good and safe place to stay. Also, there are several budget and deluxe hotels near the railway station.

If you travel by Bus they will drop you at Tirunelveli New Bustand. From there all buses to Tiruchendure will ply via Alwarthirunagari. From there you can hire Auto or Taxi.

Nava Tirupathi Temples
These are 9 Vishnu temples on either side of Tamaraibarani river. These temples hold a special place in the 108 Divya Desams. While Irattai Tirupathi features as two temples in the Nava Tirupathi list, it is counted as one divya desam only. Nammazhvar, the only Azhvaar to have sung at the Nava Tirupathi temples, refers to certain temples in great detail, while some get only a passing mention. With extensive renovation work being funded by the TVS Group, these temples now have a mark of freshness about them. At each of these nine temples, one can find a display board with temple timings and route map. We should thank TVS Group for their recent modification and renovation works.

One can start the Nava Tirupathi trip from SriVaikuntam and end with Alwartirunagari. From SriVaikuntam, one can take an auto/taxi to go around the other 8 temples. This will cost around Rs. 250-300 and will take about 5 hours.One can also begin the Nava Tirupathi journey at Alwartirunagari and end with SriVaikuntam.

1. Sri Vaikuntam - Kallarpiran

SriVaikuntam is about 30 kms from Tirunelveli on the Tiruchendur road. Buses ply every 10 minutes on this route from Tirunelveli’s new bus stand. Also, there are daily local trains on the Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur route, though less frequent. But distance from Railway station to temple area is app 2 km. One can see the towering structure of Vaikuntanathan temple as one enters the Tamaraibarani bridge, off Tiruchendur highway. The story goes that the Lord, disguised as the thief, presented himself before the King to save the thief. Hence, the Lord here is also known as ‘KallarPiran’. In Vishnu temples, Adisesh, the Serpent God unfurls his hood over Vishnu in a reclining posture. A unique feature of the Lord here is that Adisesh has his hood above the Lord in standing posture, one of its kind in the 108 Divya Desams.
Another feature of the temple is that the Sun’s rays falls directly on Lord Vaikuntanathan on two days(April-May and October-November period) every year. It is believed that this temple was used as a fort in the fight between the legendary freedom fighter Veerapandiya Kattabomman and the British in the 1800s. Surprisingly though, Nammazhvar only makes a passing mention of this temple in his Paasurams.

Temple timing: 7am-12noon and 5pm-8pm

2. ThiruvaragunaMangai (Natham)

This temple is about 2 kms East of SriVaikuntam and is known to many as the Vishnu temple at Natham. True to his name, Lord Vijayaasanar is seen to be sitting majestically like a victorious king on the throne. It is believed that a visit to this temple will help one attain moksha. This place is said to be a ‘Chandran’ Kshetram.

Temple timing: 8am-12noon and 4pm-6pm

3. Thirupulinkudi

1 km from Natham is the Lord KaasinaVenthar temple at Thirupulingkudi. The East facing Lord is seen in a reclining posture with a lotus stalk from his navel terminating in a flower on Brahma’s image on the wall of the sanctum. The story goes that Vishnu, along with Goddess Sridevi, came down to visit this place. Angered at being ignored for the trip, Goddess Bhoodevi hid herself in the netherworld. After Vishnu pacified her, it is believed that the two Goddesses came back together and gave darshan here with the Lord. An interesting feature of the temple is that Vishnu’s feet can be viewed through a small window in the passage.

Temple timing: 8am-12noon and 1pm-6pm

4. Irettai Tirupathi (Appan Koil)

These are two temples within a 100 yards of each other in the middle of a jungle and are counted as one for the purpose of the 108 Divya Desams. One has to cross a small canal to reach this temple. The road leading up to this temple is very narrow. The first of the two temples has Lord Devapiran in a standing posture facing East.

5. Thulaivilli Mangalam (Appan Koil)

Sage Suprabhar who performed a yagna at this place relieved a man and a woman from Kubera’s curse, which had turned them into a measuring scale (Tulai) and a bow (Villi). Hence this place is called Tulai Villi Mangalam. At the second temple one finds Lord Aravindalochanar in a seated posture facing East.

Legend has it that Lord Vishnu was impressed with Sage Suprabhar’s daily Lotus pooja and gave darshan to the sage on the Northern banks of Tamaraibarani. Hence, it is believed that one who does special ‘Lotus Flower’ pooja at this temple will be relieved of all sins.

Temple timing: 8.30am-1pm and 230pm-530pm

6. ThiruKuzhandhai - Perungulam

The Maayakoothan temple at Thirukuzhandhai is about 10 kms East of SriVaikuntam and near Eral. This place is now known as Perungulam. Legend has it that Vishnu went on his Garuda Vaahan to rescue Goddess Lakshmi from an Asura. Hence, one finds Garuda as the Utsav deity here. In the battle that ensued, Vishnu is said to have performed his victory dance standing on Asura’s body and hence the name MaayaKoothan.
Temple timing: 730am-1230pm and 430pm-730pm

7. ThenThiruperai - Makara Nedun Kuzhaikathan.

Back across the bridge and on to the South bank of Tamaraibarani, one finds the big Nigaril Mugilvannan temple at ThenThiruperai where the Lord is seen in a seated posture facing East.

Legend has it that Goddess Bhoodevi found two fish shaped ear rings while performing a penance, on the banks of Tamaraibarani, to relieve herself of Sage Durvasa’s curse and offered it to the Lord. The Lord who wore this came to be known as ‘Makara Nedun Kuzhaikathan’.

Another story is that Varuna (the Rain God) performed a penance here to be relieved of his curse. As a mark of this, it is believed that Varuna, visits this temple, every year, on the full moon day in the month of Panguni and worships Vishnu.

Temple timing: 730am-12noon and 5pm-830pm

8. ThiruKolur - Vithamaanidhi

3 kms South West of Thiruperai is the Vaitha Maa Nidhi temple at Thiru Kolur, where the Lord is in a reclining posture facing East.

This is the birth place of MaduraKaviAzhvaar, the ardent devotee of Nammazhvaar. Legend has it that Kubera attained salvation from Goddess Parvati’s curse at this place and it was here that his Nava Nidhis were restored.

It is said that a visit to this temple will help one recover lost wealth. The Lord here is said to help his devotees in distress.

Temple timing: 730am-12noon and 1pm-8pm

9. Alwarthirunagari- Nammazhvaar

Last but not least, Nava Tirupathi temples is the AadiNaathan temple at Alwartirunagari (Tirukkurugur). It is said that AadiNathan emerged on his own from the earth, though this does not figure among the only 8 temples where the Lord is believed to have emerged on his own.

Granting the prayers of a childless couple, Lord Nambi of Thirukkurungkudi is believed to have been born here as Nammazhvaar. When born, Nammazhvaar is said to have not opened his eyes or cried and he was taken to the tamarind tree within the temple.

Here, Nammazhvaar resided for 16 years till ThiruKolur’s Madurakavi (who was to later become his disciple) came and posed some interesting questions about life and that is when Nammazhvaar is said to have spoken for the first time.

So impressed was MaduraKavi (Azhvaar) with Nammazhvaar’s answers, that he said ‘ I do not need God, Nammazhvaar is enough’. Though Nammazhvaar died young, while in his 30s, his contribution to the Bhakti Movement is immense as can be seen from the fact that he sung praises of the Lord in one-third of the 108 Divya Desams. When Vaishnavites say Azhvaar, it means they are referring to Nammazhvaar, such is the reverence for him. There is a separate sannidhi for Nammazhvaar at this temple. He is the only one to have sung praise of Vishnu at the Nava Tirupathi temples. The centuries old tamarind tree at the temple neither bears fruit nor closes its leaves at dusk.

When to Visit Alwarthirunagari

It is better to visit this Navatirupathi places during vainavs festival season, few of them are Vaikuna Ekathasi, Vaikasi Visakam Period etc

An important festival at this temple is the Vaikasi Utsav, when the deities from all the Nava Tirupathi temples congregate here at Azhvaar Tirunagari to listen to the Paasurams with Nammazhvaar seated on the Hamsa Vaahan.

During Margazhi, one is a witness to ‘Thiru Mudi’ Sevai, the only one of its kind in Divya Desams. This is one of the three Divya Desams in TN where Araiyar Sevai, the visual song and dance enactment of the ‘Paasurams is still being performed. There is a stone nadaswaram at this temple, which is played out on special occasions. Most of the inscriptions here date back almost a 1000 years.

Temple timing: 7am-12noon and 5pm-8pm

THANKS,
Madhusudanan

Dear Narayanams
If you start from Tirunelveli it will be too late and some of the Navatirupathis will be closed.
If you want to cover all the navatirupathis on a single day you must keave from Tiruhelveli about 7AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back