• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Puzzle time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
....... I looked at the video given in post https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=31366&p=385084#post385084. That is not the way a value of an expression is computed. The order of evaluation is always left to right according to the operator precedence......

Answers to my questions in post https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=31366&p=385150#post385150

a) 3 ( 2,3,-,4,+)
b) -5 (2,3,-4, -)
c) 256 (2,2,3,^,^) - Exponentiation (operator ^) is right associative - you go from right to left - so 2[SUP]3[/SUP] is evaluated first to 8 then 2[SUP]8[/SUP] is evaluated next to get 256. ........
Dear Prof. Sir,

Thanks for the explanation. I got the correct answers.

But, after seeing the video I thought the answer to a) and c) might be wrong!! :becky:

Hence I waited for you to reply. So, even dinosaur can do good math! :thumb:

BTW, my guess was this - confused by the video:

Answer for Q a) 2-3+4 might be 3 + 4 = 7; 2 - 7 = - 5 !! (Addition first and subtraction next - BODMAS)

Answer for Q c) might be (using the left to right rule) 2 ^ 2 = 4; 4 ^ 3 = 64 !!

Attachments

• spossible-soln.PNG
    spossible-soln.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 118
In a digital clock showing hours and minutes, in 24 hour format, how many times will the same digit

appear thrice consecutively, in a day?

From Google images:

$_35.JPG

[FONT=&quot]43--00:00,00:01, 00:02, 00:03, 00:04, 00:05,00:06, 00:07, 00:08, 00:09, 01:11, 02:22, 03:33, 04:44, 05:55,10:00,11:10, 11:11, 11:12, 11:13, 11:14, 11:15, 11:16, 11:17, 11:18, 11:19, 12:22, 13:33, 14:44, 15:55, 20:00, 21:11, 22:20, 22:21, 22:22, 22:23,22:24, 22:25, 22:26, 22:27, 22:28, 22:29,23:33[/FONT]

Eight coins appear identical but one is a fake coin, which is a bit lighter in weight.

How many times do you need to use a simple balance to weigh, to spot the fake coin?

Why no friend has answered the last Q?

Shall give a clue. The minimum number of times to use the balance is only 2. :cool:

1) Divide the coins into two sets 6 (A) and 2(B)
2*) Weigh the three coins in one set (from A ) to the other three coins from the same set (from A)
2a) If they are equal, then weigh one coin (from B) with the other coin (from B) -
whichever is lighter is the fake coin.
2b) If they are not equal in 2), then let C be the lighter coin set (This is a subset of A)
3*) Weigh one coin (from C) with another coin (from C).
3a) If they are equal, then the third coin (from C) is the fake coin
3b) If they are not equal, which ever is lighter is the fake coin.
2*) and 3*) are the two weighing.

:clap2: Prof. Sir.

You forgot one option! In the step 2a) if those two coins from B are equal, the third coin in B is the fake one. :)

I explained to a ten year old girl like this.

First weighing: Take any six coins from these eight and weigh three on each side of the scale.

Option 1:

If they are equal, all the six coins are good ones.

Second weighing: Take any two coins from the remaining three and balance one on each side of the scale.

If they are equal, the left out coin is the fake one; if not equal, the lighter coin is the fake one.

Option 2:

If in the first weighing, one set is lighter, the lighter set of three coins has the fake one.

The second weighing is the same as above, with these three coins, to spot the fake one. :)

A couple of crossword clues:
1) Apt anagram of IS A CHARM (8) letters - Sunday New York Times 13th AUgust 2017
2) Meal about over (6) letters Sunday New York Times cryptic crossword 13th AUgust 2017

A couple of crossword clues:
1) Apt anagram of IS A CHARM (8) letters - Sunday New York Times 13th AUgust 2017
2) Meal about over (6) letters Sunday New York Times cryptic crossword 13th AUgust 2017
Got the answer for 1, after staring at 'IS A CHARM' for a few secs! 'CHARISMA'.

But for 2, :noidea:

Got the answer for 1, after staring at 'IS A CHARM' for a few secs! 'CHARISMA'.

But for 2, :noidea:

For Answer to 1
:thumb: :clap2::clap2:

Answer to 2 (mouse over to see the solution)

repast Explanation: meal is the clue - over is the hint - another word for over is past - about is re combining re and past we get repast and the meaning of repast is meal

E Z ones. :cool:

1. The more you have it, the less you see. What is it?

2 . It has a neck but no head; has arms but no hands. What is it?

1. hate mails, bills... :)

2. blouse...
1. The answer expected is 'darkness'.
2. Blouse? :clap2: But 'A blouse with sleeves' would be more apt! There exist sleeveless blouses too! :)

BTW, 'Full / half Shirt' is the 'given' answer!! ;)

Funny ones:

Why didn't the bike go to work?

Why did the bee get married?

Why don't cannibals eat clowns?

What did people say when an Italian chef died?

Why did a kid tell her friend. 'Don't spell part backwards'?

[FONT=&quot]because he found his honey...hahahhhaa

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]maybe because clowns would taste funny and brats are bad[/FONT]
What did people say when an Italian chef died?HE PASTA AWAY

because he found his honey...hahahhhaa

Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
maybe because clowns would taste funny and brats are bad
What did people say when an Italian chef died?HE PASTA AWAY
I got it! :spy:
You / your friend receive Baba mails. :ranger:

OK! Let some other friend answer the first and last ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back