• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sunday Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
India is a vast and diverse country with many regional imbalances. It would be faulty to generalise with a few experiences.

When I visited Jalaram Mandir at Virpur, Gujarat (near Rajkot) in 2000 and had food at the temple (they have anna dAnam everyday) they informed that they have STOPPED accepting CONTRIBUTIONS in cash or in kind since 1985 as they have enough capital to carry on their activity till their forseeable future without any more burden of accounting additional contributions.

But now I find they have a "Click to donate" menu on their website.
When they need money 'Click to donate' menu will appear on their website; right Sir?

Dear Narayan Sir,

When we eat in temples, our conscience drives us to donate money to the temple.

Only the poor people eat and walk without any payment.

hi

this very typical example in GURUVAYUR....when i visited guruvayur last time...there is place for FOOD FOR ONLY BRAHMINS

RUN BY BRAHMIN ASSOCIATION VERY CLOSE TO TEMPLE/SHANKARA LODGE..,,,they provide nice brahmin food every day....

never charges...but we can pay as DONATION....so generally ppl pay generous donation...even i did..

hi

this very typical example in GURUVAYUR....when i visited guruvayur last time...there is place for FOOD FOR ONLY BRAHMINS.

In Sringeri maTh also there is separate dining area for brahmins and others. Now I do not remember if we were asked to take off our shirts or not. But what I do remember is that they WAIT till we do parishechanam before serving rasam/sambhAr/dal on rice :)

Sir you said it right. There is over generalization on limited knowledge.

My post was based on the temple in my town in USA. Of course, it also included the temples I have visited in 5 continents.

And In almost every state in India.

In Amritsar or any other Gurudwara, the Langar is free and there is no expectation of fee. The members contribute and make it possible for free food for everybody. No Caste, religion, or skin color matters. Everybody gets the same meal.

But when you visit the shrine you contribute in the Hundi, unlike Temples, everyone entering is supposed to contribute.

Coming back to my post, which was based on the Temple in my town. I was relating to my personal experience before the distraction of talking about Temples in generalized terms.

The food served in Temple canteen is not "PRASADAM". They provide a facility for people to buy food prepared in the Canteen (by volunteers, and paid Cooks). This is true even for BAPS Or Swaminarayan Temples. For instance even the Akshardham is Delhi, London Etc provides you a facility to buy food, they do not allow free loaders. The volunteers have a separate mess.

In most of the Shiva Temples there is not even a Pujari. So each temple acts on what their members want. So generalization and calling others name is totally meaningless.

The prasad is charan Amrit, some badam, or Tulsi leaves. That is exactly what you get in Birla mandirs, and most other North Indian Temples. Of Course, there are exceptions.

I have not looked for free food in temples.

I assume no one comes to a forum to lie, and I assume they are relating their personal experiences. There is no need to challenge that.

When an opinion is expressed about an event (non-personal), there can be a discussion.

Last edited:
.......... When I visited Guruvayur last time, after the morning darshan as I came out I was very hungry and my wife who came with me too was hungry. We enquired and found that on the East Nada of the temple, there is a dining hall run by the Kerala Brahmana Samooham...

LOL. No one asked me to show my poonool. They were just giving food to anyone who went there and sat before the table.
My being a brahmin was incidental. This is speaking from first hand experience........
Dear Vaagmi Sir,

I had a long chat with my sister last night (Thanks to Na Mo for the free calls! ) and she reconfirmed that in Kerela

Brahmana samooham, males should remove their shirts but they can hang it on their shoulder. During her recent visit

(B I L visits once, every month), a mAmA from s metro city was requested to put his shirt on his shoulder, before having

his lunch. Of course, there IS another huge dining hall, in which there is NO need for a male to remove the upper garment

and NO prior notice is needed. You would have had your lunch, with your shirt on, in that hall. :cool:

Dear Vaagmi Sir,

I had a long chat with my sister last night (Thanks to Na Mo for the free calls! ) and she reconfirmed that in Kerela

Brahmana samooham, males should remove their shirts but they can hang it on their shoulder. During her recent visit

(B I L visits once, every month), a mAmA from s metro city was requested to put his shirt on his shoulder, before having

his lunch. Of course, there IS another huge dining hall, in which there is NO need for a male to remove the upper garment

and NO prior notice is needed. You would have had your lunch, with your shirt on, in that hall. :cool:

hi

yes....they told me remove my shirt and to see the poonal......prior notice is required....its must...

.. yes....they told me remove my shirt and to see the poonal......prior notice is required....its must...
Thank you for this post, TBS Sir! :)

May be you looked like an American guy!! :D

BTW, only our mAmAs don't hesitate to remove their shirt!! :cool:

Thank you for this post, TBS Sir! :)

May be you looked like an American guy!! :D

BTW, only our mAmAs don't hesitate to remove their shirt!! :cool:
hi

just info....even in my childhood.....i like to cover/banian always in the palakad agrahararam SADYA SAPPADU...but my friends

and many brahmin boys like BARE CHEST....even i was not allowed in many times inside temple...

What is new this week ?

Weekend approaching.

First GST making cinema owners in TN agitated with state and central taxes burdening them unduly.

Then more important the Bigg Boss show in a tamil channel inviting the ire of so many in TN

There was sequence regarding Tamizh Thai Vazhthu where participants were forced to learn and recite.

Tamil enthusiasts were hurt by the attempt of participant to learn and recite properly.

I have always believed that most do not know tamizh thai vazhthu correctly enough to recite when wanted.It turned out to be true.

What is new this week ?

Weekend approaching.

First GST making cinema owners in TN agitated with state and central taxes burdening them unduly.

Then more important the Bigg Boss show in a tamil channel inviting the ire of so many in TN

There was sequence regarding Tamizh Thai Vazhthu where participants were forced to learn and recite.

Tamil enthusiasts were hurt by the attempt of participant to learn and recite properly.

I have always believed that most do not know tamizh thai vazhthu correctly enough to recite when wanted.It turned out to be true.

What is Tamil Thai Vazhthu?

Ok...I just saw online...Its state anthem of Tamil Nadu.

OMG..I dont believe Tamils from TN dont know their state anthem.

I still remember the state anthem of the state I grew up in

It goes:

Ya Allah yang Maha kuasa,
Lanjutkan usia Duli yang Maha Mulia
Dirgahayu Darul Makmur
Aman dan bahagia sentiasa
Ya Allah Selamatkan
Duli Tuanku Raja kami.

Meaning:

Maha Kuasa..Most powerful
Lanjutkan ..confer longevity
Usia....Sanskrit origin..modified from.Ayush...age
Duli yang Maha Mulia...August state ruler
Dirgahayu....origin Sanskrit word..long live

Darul..origin Arabic word Dar -Ul..meaning Abode of

Makmur...opulence

Aman...peace
Bahagia.. from Sanskrit Bhagyam..Happiness

Sentiasa...Sanskrit origin..modified from Sanatana to mean Always/Continous

Selamatkan ..from Arabic Salamat..to save..

Duli Tuanku..Majesty state ruler

Raja..State ruler.
Kami..our

Translation

Ya Allah The Most Powerful
Bestow longevity to our august state ruler
Long live the rule of the abode of opulence
May it be always be peaceful with happiness
Ya Allah..please safe our state Ruler.

Last edited:
There have been discussions in the past in this forum on tamizh thai vazhthu with RRJi and vaagmiji engaging about faults in that. Written by meenakshi sundaram pillai , a

tamil scholar-not many knew who he was. One said in Bigg Boss that it was thayumanvars' writing. Only one or two could recite that properly. Others took lot of effort to learn.

Tamil lovers were aghast that a program could expose this openly.

Even vandemataram in praise of Bharatmata in sanskrit is not known to all.

Some followers of another religion have reservation to its recitation as it refer to india as mother .

This stoked some controversy about singing it in schools .

I do not think it is sung in southern states.

In north india this is the norm.

It was composed by Bankim chandra and used in novel Anandmath.

The first two verses of the song was adopted as the national song of india.

There have been discussions in the past in this forum on tamizh thai vazhthu with RRJi and vaagmiji engaging about faults in that. Written by meenakshi sundaram pillai , a

tamil scholar-not many knew who he was. ....... .
Come on Krish Sir!

Those who had Tamil as second language in the B.A / B.Sc know him very well because ManOnmaNeeyam used to be

a part of the study. But, no one in IT field will know Sundaranar! :lol:

RRji

I did not know 'Tamizh thai vazhthu. I thought it had something to do with glory of tamilnadu state not language.

And then it is not in easily understood speaking tamizh.

These regional anthems[karnataka also has one] might have limited appeal- only those liking tamil literature or poetry.

Vaagmiji even found some kutram in it.

Those dreaming of dravidanadu and thinking of past glories of tamils such as cholas conquering countries in south east asia and spreading tamil culture etc. might feel

attracted to this song.

Tamil arvalars were aghast at Bigg Boss show revealing that participants did not know it and they getting forced to learn and recite it.

Tamil nadu theatre owners have called off their bandh and resumed screening of films with higher ticket prices pending settlement with TN govt.

The film goers will pay a higher price for seeing films.

Ultimately consumers are not kings.

They pay more due to GST along with entertainment tax of TN govt.

Similarly sivakasi fireworks fellows [both employers and employees] have called off their strike.

Who knows if further promises have been made to them?

Another sunday 16th july.

All news channels celebrated sensex crossing 32000.

The domestic investors are happily pushing their money into the market believing in get rich fast theory.

Most foreign investors are withdrawing with domestic investors replacing them.

One should reflect who is right ?

If one looks around the economic scenario is depressing.Rural distress , manufacturing contracting,IT layoffs, higher cost of cinema tickets, tomato prices skyrocketing, GST

getting applied to telephone bills, articles of discretionary spending, empty malls, gold prices shooting up.Is there anything to cheer.Women are shouting about GST on

sanitary napkins is the news of the week.

Is stock market a bubble waiting to burst?.

There appears to be a disconnect between economics and ground realities.

The rich in india are pumping in more money into the stock markets and talking acche din . Stocks are touching new highs never seen before.

Similarly when demonetisation took place, all economists thought it was a disaster. But the poor celebrated as they saw the well off upper class folks suffering due to their

stashed away high value notes.

Then GST introduction , most common folk asked what is there to celebrate at midnight to pay tax.LOL

When some gave economic logic that GST will lead to faster movement of goods and items will become less expensive, most found that neither goods moved faster nor they

paid less for goods they normally buy.It was only more in most cases.

Those who loved their money decided not to buy anything before prices settle down .

I do not know whether they will ever settle down.

I take anything an economist says with a pinch of salt.

TN politicians and economists are losing their reputation in new india.

If you still want to play in the stock market with new highs,the best bets are nationalised banks , FMCG like Hindustan unilever, ITC .Stay away from IT and pharma.Metals be selective.

Why is thew indian economic scene depressing?

Statistics are doled out that inflation is at all time low, Fiscal and revenue deficit are under control.

Yet the economy is not taking off.

The basic two ingredients for growth -exports and industrial capital formation are missing.

The european economies are not doing well enough to take in our traditional exports of jewellery,gems,textiles.

Our own industrialists are only trying to ensure that their plants are using their capacity utilisation to the full instead going in for more capital for additional capacities.

Banks flush with funds have no takers due to NPA resolution issues and becoming more cautious in lending.

Though the economy is placed well for take off, nothing much is happening on the ground.

Indias strength is manpower . But they are not skilled enough to get good employment.The poor are unemployed or in employment giving them just enough for their

survival. So they continue to be poor. Thats the state of 50% population.Our human resources are going waste due to inability to harness them.Our HRD is a disaster.UGC

is unable to create structures for easy skilling and educating our youngsters.They have not realised the potential of online learning and allowing easy access for private

players to educate more online.They are more interested in hindi propagation and spreading hindu sanskar whatever it might mean.

[to be continued]

Local consumption has to increase. One way to do that would be to put more money in the hands of the poor. You can not expect the rich to spend their money locally, but poor will spend it to improve the local economy.

One way would be to Tax the rich and increase infrastructure spending. Our roads, bridges, railroads, electric grids, telephone etc needs capital expenditure. That will need labor.
But ultimately labor requirement is going to diminish, the advent of AI, automation, and robotics will eliminate jobs. So I do not have any suggestion for long term employment.

வீடு தாேடி வந்த ஆடி!

Yesterday ( Sunday ) I woke with noisy activities below my balcony and could see people erecting temporary shamiana At 10 AM Anjali appeared at our door with few cut roses and sweets (Adayar Ananda Bhavan) and her boss from Audi inviting us for a test drive I promised I have no intention of buying Audi - yet she said I would love it when I sit on that seat - ergonomic and anthropometric compliant designers seat s I accepted her offer Audis price slashed by 2 L GST effect she declared but kept silent on the effect on insurance ! At 4 PM with our grand children I sat near pilot in the 'cockpit and the children on the back seat

I was not impressed Amby of yester year had better seating with no ergonomics or cockpit and cluster!

Getting in and out is painfully uncomfortable!

Children are excited about Audi

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RfCA7gDS9ApUDykm1p

வீடு தாேடி வந்த ஆடி!

I was not impressed Amby of yester year had better seating with no ergonomics or cockpit and cluster!

Getting in and out is painfully uncomfortable!

Children are excited about Audi

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RfCA7gDS9ApUDykm1p

JJji,
I am a car enthusiast. My niece's son does the performance test of a luxury brand cars for some local magazine.
I have driven Indian Audi A6, petrol version. It is an excellent car.

It is rather sad that you compared it to Amby, a 60-year-old technology British discarded junk. Obviously, your taste in cars is outdated. Instead, AMBY may be you would have preferred a Chariot (just a joke).

knew I could have an Audi previous to buying it. But when I bought it I truly found myself on the top of the world. The class that it gives is immensely superb. You can have your own unique presence on the road with this Audi. The exteriors are just flawlessly magnificent. The need for speed is always taken care of in this Audi with its super responsive
gearbox . I liked its one of the features which is that it can learn even our style of driving whether its is fuel saving or it is sporty.

https://autoportal.com/newcars/audi/a6/reviews/car-of-great-style-and-poise-9064.html

Then again I am vegetarian so if some one talks about Steaks and its quality, I can care less.

A car is not just for utility (going from one place to another), car depicts your personality. If it is the utility alone use Ola or something else.

When I worked in India in 1970's, we did not know any better, I used to drive the outdated Ambassador. we had limited choice back then.

Today's cars with their big bucket seats, thick pillars (structural uprights that support a car's roof) and high window lines just don't have the same sense of airiness.There can be no doubt, the Ambassador's demise marks the end of an era. However, for me, it's an era best forgotten.
The Ambassador was a symbol of all that was wrong with India's controlled economy and its stifling regulations. Carmakers could not increase prices or make more cars without the government's approval. They couldn't import technology or components and had to make do with locally developed bits and pieces that were shoddily produced.

Buyers were saddled with cars of appalling quality, which constantly broke down and yet the waiting list to buy one could stretch up to eight years!
Along with every motorist of my generation, I was at the receiving end.
You needed really strong triceps to work the ridiculously heavy steering, the deftness of a surgeon to slot home the spindly column shifter into each gear (shifting from second to third gear was an art form) and immense strength to make the car stop - you had to nearly stand on the brakes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28085095

Last edited:
Today's cars with their big bucket seats, thick pillars (structural uprights that support a car's roof) and high window lines just don't have the same sense of airiness.There can be no doubt, the Ambassador's demise marks the end of an era. However, for me, it's an era best forgotten. (#147)

When you try to get into those big bucket seats painfully manipulating your body may give a gut feeling of kicking the bucket -

hi

everything changing...but many indian roads and streets never change..i prefer two wheerler/bicycle prefered in india than AUDI...

Ram and I prefer an Ambassador car to any of the new arrivals. Invariably we get a back pain, while travelling

long distances, in the new Hi fundA cars! Somehow, the seats don't give the best support to the spine! :sad:

Kolkata is THE city where we find lots and lots of Ambassador cars, mostly in yellow color! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back